GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 23:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck vs. LBS vs. Darden ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.6
Tuck vs. LBS vs. Darden ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 21:02
I'm thrilled to have been admitted to three great programs and now struggling to decide where to attend!

I'm a U.S. citizen but have lived abroad since college working a variety of jobs in small developing countries. I'm older as well - will be 33 at matriculation. My goal is to shift to working in the renewable energy sector although I'm also interested in consulting (maybe too old and odd of a background for that? Maybe good GMAT would help?).

I was offered a 50% scholarship at Darden, nothing at the other two.

Tuck is the only campus I visited due to my current remote location. I loved the campus (and don't at all mind the remote setting) and like the idea of the tight-knit and active community. The strong recruiting and alumni network are also big pluses. The cost however is extreme and I'm not positive about my prospects for a very high paying job afterwards given my age and background.

LBS has a big appeal due to its diversity and global focus, and living in London for two years would be a great adventure. I'm open to working almost anywhere in the world after graduation so don't mind at all the location outside the U.S. The cost is also somewhat lower due to the weaker Pound after Brexit.

Darden's reputation for teaching and academic excellence is a big draw and Charlottesville sounds like a really nice place. The lower cost due to the scholarship is certainly a big plus!

I feel like I'd be happy at any of these schools. I'm in the process of reaching out to current students and alumni to learn more but would appreciate any other input as well!

Thanks for your advice!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tuck vs. LBS vs. Darden ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 21:27
Wow, that is a fantastic GMAT score for a 30+ year old person. I could not resist but comment on that - age slows us down a bit but you seem to be immune to some of that or just really good ;-)

I feel that since you are more mature and experienced, you want to the MBA that is right and delivers the right end result - you have traveled quite a bit it seems, you know what you want or at least know better than some 26 year-olds what you want, and you appear to know value of money.

Darden has a case-study based system just like HBS where your perspective and experience will come in very handy. (Hence the scholarship).

Tuck vs. LBS - Tuck is definitely many people's dream as an ideal tight-knit community (though it does disappoint some folks - even Tuck is not perfect).

I think one part you have to somewhat decide is whether you are planning to continue being an expat/live abroad or if you are willing to settle down somewhere. If you want to live abroad, or have a traveling lifestyle, then LBS of course. If you want to stick around the US, then Tuck or Darden and I can see how 50% scholarship for about 5-6 ranking slots is a great investment.

So instead of looking at schools pros and cons, consider your preferences long term and what you are planning on doing and where you are planning on living.

Congratulations!
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 03:22
islander19 wrote:
I'm thrilled to have been admitted to three great programs and now struggling to decide where to attend!

I'm a U.S. citizen but have lived abroad since college working a variety of jobs in small developing countries. I'm older as well - will be 33 at matriculation. My goal is to shift to working in the renewable energy sector although I'm also interested in consulting (maybe too old and odd of a background for that? Maybe good GMAT would help?).

I was offered a 50% scholarship at Darden, nothing at the other two.

Tuck is the only campus I visited due to my current remote location. I loved the campus (and don't at all mind the remote setting) and like the idea of the tight-knit and active community. The strong recruiting and alumni network are also big pluses. The cost however is extreme and I'm not positive about my prospects for a very high paying job afterwards given my age and background.

LBS has a big appeal due to its diversity and global focus, and living in London for two years would be a great adventure. I'm open to working almost anywhere in the world after graduation so don't mind at all the location outside the U.S. The cost is also somewhat lower due to the weaker Pound after Brexit.

Darden's reputation for teaching and academic excellence is a big draw and Charlottesville sounds like a really nice place. The lower cost due to the scholarship is certainly a big plus!

I feel like I'd be happy at any of these schools. I'm in the process of reaching out to current students and alumni to learn more but would appreciate any other input as well!

Thanks for your advice!

Actually, I'm surprised that Tuck did not offer any kind of scholarship at all. According to some analysis, it proves that Tuck are not that generous when offering scholarships.

I agree with bb. LBS has huge reputation in Europe and Asia, if you desire to work there.

Although I love Tuck, the scholarship from Darden makes it attractive in that case. It is nice to graduate with less burden.

Just a comment about consulting career, I was in contact with Tuck alumnus who works for consulting (A.T. Kearney as I recall) and I was like your age. He told me that it is not impossible but it is too hard. His reason is that your age might make unmanageable since the project manager or leader of the team could be younger than you and somehow this may trigger conflict.

I hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 11:48
bb wrote:
Wow, that is a fantastic GMAT score for a 30+ year old person.

Thanks! I'd like to note that until I started this MBA application process I never felt old at all, now everything I read makes me feel like I'll be the grandpa wherever I end up!

I was certainly happy with the score but I've always been great at standardized tests and am good with math and a voracious reader.

I guess the decision will definitely come down largely to post-MBA location plans. I'm pretty agnostic about that...not opposed to living in the U.S. again but it would also be very fun to live and work in Europe or Asia for a while. My fiance is not a U.S. citizen and has also lived away from her home country for a long time. We're both pretty adventurous and love traveling.

One thing I like about Darden and even more Tuck however is the tight communities and camaraderie. Just not sure how that compares at a place like LBS.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 11:52
Mo2men wrote:
Just a comment about consulting career, I was in contact with Tuck alumnus who works for consulting (A.T. Kearney as I recall) and I was like your age. He told me that it is not impossible but it is too hard. His reason is that your age might make unmanageable since the project manager or leader of the team could be younger than you and somehow this may trigger conflict.

That's sort of what I figured regarding consulting although it's odd to be told that I'm already too old for a job! I'm used to working with people of all different ages and in my current role all of the people reporting to me are older than me.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 12:02
I think you will find your niche and group of like-minded students. There are great people everywhere and there are jerks in all programs too.

If you read the school reviews on gmat club, you will notice the area most people are critical of is their classmates. I think everyone expects that others will be just amazing humble hero’s and that’s just not the reality.

The bottom line is that you just don’t know what it will be and we are trying predict the future based on the past performance ;-)

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 14:53
islander19 wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

That's sort of what I figured regarding consulting although it's odd to be told that I'm already too old for a job! I'm used to working with people of all different ages and in my current role all of the people reporting to me are older than me.

I understand your point. But it seems that this behavior in the big consulting companies MBB & famous tier 2 firms as I found other boutique firms that do not have age problem. The exception in those firms such as BCG is that you have experience in field such Supply chain. In this case there is another route.

Good luck
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck vs. LBS vs. Darden ($$) &nbs [#permalink] 18 Dec 2017, 14:53

Tuck vs. LBS vs. Darden ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap