It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 3

Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:54) correct 55% (01:01) wrong based on 208 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which regularly dive to depths of over 1,000 feet in search of food.

A. swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which
B. migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific; some of whom
C. migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific by swimming, some of whom
D. swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them
E. migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Mahmud6 on 06 Oct 2017, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and formatted

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 3

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [2], given: 39

Re: Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

A good question to test one on verb-ing modifiers and pronouns.

A.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which-"swim to migrate makes it sound like they wont swim otherwise"-out.

B.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific; some of whom-"swimming rightly modifies "northern elephant seals migrate"..how...by swimming.. however the semi-colon if followed by some of them would have been correct"-out

C.migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific by swimming, some of whom-"passive voice "by swimming""-out

D.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them"swim to migrate makes it sound like they wont swim otherwise"-out.

E.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them"swimming rightly modifies "northern elephant seals migrate"

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 238 [2], given: 39

Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2015, 12:08
Shree9975 wrote:
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which regularly dive to depths of over 1,000 feet in search of food.

A.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which
B.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific; some of whom - Whom is used for people hence incorrect.
C.migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific by swimming, some of whom
D.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them
E.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them

Here comma +verb-ing modifies provides additional information about precceeding part....

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 259

MISSION : 800
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
It's b/w "D" & "E"

Q>> Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which regularly dive to depths of over 1,000 feet in search of food.

D.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them

>This mean the seals swim twice a year, whilst the intended meaning is that the seals migrate twice by swimming

E.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific, and some of them

> this choice says that the seals migrate twice in a year , swimming - ing modifier

Thank you

+KUDOS

> I CAN, I WILL <

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 259

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 206

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 22:55
Need clarification on why "swim to migrate" is wrong.
I read it this way:
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim Why?
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate where?
Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific

To join this with another clause, I used "And" as in option D: "..... and some of them".

What do seals do twice a year? They "swim to migrate". How can we say that twice a year seals just "swim" and not migrate if we are using "swim to migrate" in the clause?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 206

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 796

Schools: Kellogg '20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 04:42
mikemcgarry or any other expert - Can you please explain exactly why B is incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 796

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 05:32
darn wrote:
mikemcgarry or any other expert - Can you please explain exactly why B is incorrect?

Dear Darn,

Abhishek009 has already explained why option B is incorrect.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 296

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 21:42
I got the right answer and went with E, but i want to make sure my reasoning is correct. Since "whom" is a relative pronoun i would much rather like to use it next to noun its referencing rather than as object for prepositional phrase, on the other hand "them" can be used with a problem.
Any comments on this.

B.migrate, swimming from Southern California to the North Pacific; some of whom

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 296

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 01:43
MadaraU wrote:
I got the right answer and went with E, but i want to make sure my reasoning is correct. Since "whom" is a relative pronoun i would much rather like to use it next to noun its referencing rather than as object for prepositional phrase, on the other hand "them" can be used with a problem.
Any comments on this.

i think the difference between two sentences are the semi-colon and commas. Whom and them both can be correctly used.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 123

GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 02:00
A swim to migrate is wrong...some of which (antecedent issue)
B some of whom (no people here)
C whom (antecedent- people)
D swim to migrate and the missing

E looks good

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 123

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 04:37
Shree9975 wrote:
A.swim to migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific, some of which
C.migrate from Southern California to the North Pacific by swimming, some of whom

'whom' can only refer to people. B,C are out.
A - 'which' referring to seals is also weird + 'swim to migrate' -> this says that the seals only purpose to swim is migration, and they won't swim otherwise. OUT
D - Similar meaning problem to A. OUT
E - Correct answer ; Verb-ing modifier correctly describes how the seals migrate. And 'them' correctly refers back to 'seals'

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 06:48
Luckisnoexcuse akshayk Abhishek009

Be careful with blanket statements about 'whom'. An animial CAN be referred to as whom, in the right context. Whom can modify more than people.
http://www.sjsu.edu/writingcenter/docs/ ... _Which.pdf

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 56

Re: Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 06:48

Twice a year, northern elephant seals swim to migrate from Southern Ca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap