GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 13:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UCLA Anderson or reapply

new topic post reply Update application status  

UCLA Anderson or reapply

• 75% [6]
  • 25% [2]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.26
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
UCLA Anderson or reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jun 2019, 21:09
Hello All,
I have admits from UCLA (no scholarship) and Rice Jones ($60k scholarship). I am also waitlisted at Kenan-Flagler. I am a bit confused about whether I should join UCLA Anderson or reapply next year.

Background:
Indian, 27, Male
GMAT 720 (Q50 V37) GPA 8.15/10
Undergrad from IIT Dhanbad: Bachelor of Technology in Petroleum Engineering
WE: 60 months. Have worked at an Indian Oil & Gas company in technical stream
I believe overall I have a good profile in terms of leadership and achievements, extra-curriculars and community volunteership.

Post-MBA career goals: Consulting/Strategy (though open to other streams as well). Looking to get into a school that can have a long-term impact on my career.

Didn't utlilise any consultant last year. Applied to 7 schools as follows:
Round 2: Duke,Ross (denied without interview); UCLA Anderson (admitted, no scholarship); UNC Kenan-Flagler (waitlisted); NUS Singapore (denied post interview)
Round 3: Tuck (denied post interview); Rice Jones (admitted with scholarship).

Currently am in a dilemma whether it will be worth joining UCLA Anderson with such a large debt or reapply next year to other schools in T10/T15 (and look for scholarship opportunities as well). Although I know there is no guarantee that I may get admitted to a stronger program next year (plus there will be no significant additions onto my profile in coming 2-3 months and probably won't re-take GMAT as well).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Max.MayankG on 02 Jun 2019, 20:04.
Last edited by Max.MayankG on 03 Jun 2019, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: UCLA Anderson or reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 07:50
Hi,
I can't see UCLA or Rice fulfills your goal but you still have KF. So let's wait and see. If you still have problem in money so i think you age allows you to reapply next year. Here is my advice.
1- Try to aim higher scor in GMAT to overcome the competitive pool you belong to.
2- Tuck provide feedback about the causes for denial. I believe it is valuable. So email them.

Good luck
Current Student
S
Schools: Stern '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 03:17
If you're deadset on not-retaking GMAT nor using consultant, then I'd think you either go UCLA or no MBA at all.

TBH, 1. you probably need to retake the GMAT for higher score (considering your competitive pool) or 2. use good admission consultant to write better essays/applications if you aim to get into higher ranked program.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 18:18
Max.MayankG wrote:
Hello All,
I have admits from UCLA (no scholarship) and Rice Jones ($60k scholarship). I am also waitlisted at Kenan-Flagler. I am a bit confused about whether I should join UCLA Anderson or reapply next year.

Background:
Indian, 27, Male
GMAT 720 (Q50 V37) GPA 8.15/10
Undergrad from IIT Dhanbad: Bachelor of Technology in Petroleum Engineering
WE: 60 months. Have worked at an Indian Oil & Gas company in technical stream
I believe overall I have a good profile in terms of leadership and achievements, extra-curriculars and community volunteership.

Post-MBA career goals: Consulting/Strategy (though open to other streams as well). Looking to get into a school that can have a long-term impact on my career.

Didn't utlilise any consultant last year. Applied to 7 schools as follows:
Round 2: Duke,Ross (denied without interview); UCLA Anderson (admitted, no scholarship); UNC Kenan-Flagler (waitlisted); NUS Singapore (denied post interview)
Round 3: Tuck (denied post interview); Rice Jones (admitted with scholarship).

Currently am in a dilemma whether it will be worth joining UCLA Anderson with such a large debt or reapply next year to other schools in T10/T15 (and look for scholarship opportunities as well). Although I know there is no guarantee that I may get admitted to a stronger program next year (plus there will be no significant additions onto my profile in coming 2-3 months and probably won't re-take GMAT as well).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UCLA is a great program and will give you a shot at consulting. Remember, getting accepted to a program is only the first step. Once you arrive on campus you need to successfully recruit. I vote accept UCLA and pour your energy into succeeding on campus via case prepping, excelling academically, leadership roles, etc.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 19:14
Recruiting into consulting will be tough with your background. I know a few folks from gas and oil who struggled to find an internship. Do you have any brand names on your resume? BP? Shell? Etc?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.26
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 20:43
Hi bb,
Thanks for your response. No I don't have such brand names on my resume. I work for Cairn Oil & Gas, which is a subsidiary of Vedanta Limited.
And regarding consulting, oh I see then it might be tough. Though I am open to other recruiting options as well.

bb wrote:
Recruiting into consulting will be tough with your background. I know a few folks from gas and oil who struggled to find an internship. Do you have any brand names on your resume? BP? Shell? Etc?

VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
UCLA Anderson or reapply  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 12:55
Top Contributor
Is your ultimate goal to remain in the US or work in consulting? I mean if you get a McKinsey offer back in India or an financial analyst role in an oil &gas in Texas what would would you choose ? If US choose Rice, if consulting outside of US then the higher a school is ranked the better.
Getting a job in the US is tough nowdays and consider h1b lottery.

Rice is in Texas and you can leverage your background in oil&gas to get a job if you want US. UCLA is not a consulting school, read tech.
In UCLA only 8-10 people from my class got offers from the top strategy houses. And over 50 people got jobs in tech.
And look, being in a tech school with oil&gas background and willing to break into consulting is really tough job. Imagine I am a recruiter and try to convince me in that.

Please provide more details to help us make you a good decision.

UCLA Anderson or reapply   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2019, 12:55

UCLA Anderson or reapply

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate