GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 51
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Other)
UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 03:44
Hi everyone, I have received most of my admissions decisions, and have chosen UNC Kenan-Flagler among my current options. However, I will hear an admissions update from McCombs next week, and I am in doubt about what to do in case I get an admissions offer (and I would have only a couple of weeks to decide, since UNC's enrollment deposit deadline is in early January). I have visited both schools and their environment and students.

About me
Currently work in Product Management in the Chemicals sector
Plan to make a career change to Management Consulting (I plan to recruit both in Brazil, my homecountry, and in the US)
Product Management in Tech (recruiting in the US) would be my plan B

UNC Kenan-Flagler
( + ) I really liked Chapel Hill's environment
( + ) Leadership Development Program
( + ) STAR Program
( + ) It's possible to live on campus
( + ) More Brazilians (for future networking)

McCombs
( + ) Austin is a very vibrant city
( + ) Stronger in Technology
( + ) MBA+ Program
( + ) More affordable (program and living costs)
( + ) New building

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 191
Reviews Badge
UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 04:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
If you want to recruit in Brazil, pick whatever name has the best recognition there. Rank won't matter so much as perception, doubly so if you get scholarships since salaries won't be as strong.

If you want to stay in the US, I think both programs would do very well for you, and I'd take Mccombs if they offer $ over UNC due to their data/tech reputation. Both will do reasonably well in consulting also, as long as you don't want to be in NY/SF/Boston
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 51
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Other)
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 07:04
cxa0897 wrote:
If you want to recruit in Brazil, pick whatever name has the best recognition there. Rank won't matter so much as perception, doubly so if you get scholarships since salaries won't be as strong.

If you want to stay in the US, I think both programs would do very well for you, and I'd take Mccombs if they offer $ over UNC due to their data/tech reputation. Both will do reasonably well in consulting also, as long as you don't want to be in NY/SF/Boston



Thanks for your tips, cxa0897!! I am not quite sure if there is a difference in brand recognition in Brazil. I have seen alumni from both schools working at MBB. But regardless of scholarships, attending McCombs would cost US$ 30-40k less than attending UNC, mainly because of tuition cost.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 191
Reviews Badge
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 07:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
mbaclass2020 wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:
If you want to recruit in Brazil, pick whatever name has the best recognition there. Rank won't matter so much as perception, doubly so if you get scholarships since salaries won't be as strong.

If you want to stay in the US, I think both programs would do very well for you, and I'd take Mccombs if they offer $ over UNC due to their data/tech reputation. Both will do reasonably well in consulting also, as long as you don't want to be in NY/SF/Boston



Thanks for your tips, cxa0897!! I am not quite sure if there is a difference in brand recognition in Brazil. I have seen alumni from both schools working at MBB. But regardless of scholarships, attending McCombs would cost US$ 30-40k less than attending UNC, mainly because of tuition cost.


MBB will recruit from both, but I don't think either is a power house. Mccombs probably places well into houston offices, and UNC the same for atlanta. If you aren't set on a particular location you should have a fair opportunity from either.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 51
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Other)
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 13:50
cxa0897 wrote:
mbaclass2020 wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:
If you want to recruit in Brazil, pick whatever name has the best recognition there. Rank won't matter so much as perception, doubly so if you get scholarships since salaries won't be as strong.

If you want to stay in the US, I think both programs would do very well for you, and I'd take Mccombs if they offer $ over UNC due to their data/tech reputation. Both will do reasonably well in consulting also, as long as you don't want to be in NY/SF/Boston



Thanks for your tips, cxa0897!! I am not quite sure if there is a difference in brand recognition in Brazil. I have seen alumni from both schools working at MBB. But regardless of scholarships, attending McCombs would cost US$ 30-40k less than attending UNC, mainly because of tuition cost.


MBB will recruit from both, but I don't think either is a power house. Mccombs probably places well into houston offices, and UNC the same for atlanta. If you aren't set on a particular location you should have a fair opportunity from either.



Very interesting! I don't have any particular location restrictions, both Houston and Atlanta, for instance, would work well for me. Following this reasoning and considering that MBB recruit students from both UNC and McCombs, it seems that both schools would be good options for me! I still have to do a deeper research regarding the recognition of the brands in Brazil, I will certainly do that if I get an offer from McCombs. Thanks a lot again for your help, cxa0897!!

If anyone has any other tips, they would be more than welcome! :-)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 51
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Other)
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 09:32
Hi VeritasPrepDozie and Aringo, can I ask for your advice here?

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1616
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 11:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
mbaclass2020 wrote:
Very interesting! I don't have any particular location restrictions, both Houston and Atlanta, for instance, would work well for me. Following this reasoning and considering that MBB recruit students from both UNC and McCombs, it seems that both schools would be good options for me! I still have to do a deeper research regarding the recognition of the brands in Brazil, I will certainly do that if I get an offer from McCombs. Thanks a lot again for your help, cxa0897!!

If anyone has any other tips, they would be more than welcome! :-)


Hi mbaclass2020

In your case, I would use LInkedIn aggressively to have overview about both schools' alumni in Brazil and their consulting companies. Also, I would connect with some MBB consultants in Brazil and ask for visiting offices and made connections with them, regardless the school you will choose. Do that with Tier 2 too. You have some time to do so. This may put you in their radar for internship and hence turn it to full time opportunity in Brazil.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 51
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Other)
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 18:48
Hi Mo2men, thanks a lot for the advice!!! I think that's a great idea! I know some Brazilians working in Consulting in Brazil from both UNC and McCombs, so I will start talking with them!

I got admitted at McCombs, received the decision today! So now I really need to make the choice.
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 18:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. McCombs

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.