It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 23:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (00:56) correct 64% (00:54) wrong based on 181 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government have created a supersized version of the 19th century spoils system.

A) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government have

B) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government has

C) Under a conservative agenda of promotion, many a modern day government have

D) Under a conservative agenda of promotion, many a modern day government has

E) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many modern day government has
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
GMATantidote wrote:
Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government have created a supersized version of the 19th century spoils system.

A) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government have

B) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government has

E) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many modern day government has

Took time for B and E...

Meaning : Modern day government has created a supervised version to promote the agenda.

A) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government have -

Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda has to modify the modern day government and till here it is correct but here modern day government has to be single

B) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day government has -Correct

C) Under a conservative agenda of promotion, many a modern day government have - Under something modern day government is wrong

D) Under a conservative agenda of promotion, many a modern day government has - explanation as C

E) Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many modern day government has[/quote] - many modern day government has to be plural
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V41
Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 03:28
When you use many A 'something singular' = plural

eg. Many a man = Many men.

Please clarify
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2016, 03:50
This post received
KUDOS
goenkashreya wrote:
When you use many A 'something singular' = plural

eg. Many a man = Many men.

Please clarify

Many a/an... is used to indicate a large number of something. It takes a singular noun, which can be followed by a singular verb.

Many a politician has cheated the people. [Politician and has are singular.]

Many men - always plural...

Hope it helps...
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 01:57
clarification required on idiomatic use of many a government, does it take a singular verb or plural.

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
QZ wrote:

GMATNinja - Sire I am learning about this singularity issue for the first time. Is "many a government" singular? Please elucidate.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hm, this doesn't look at all like a real GMAT question. Just a friendly reminder: please please please always include the source when you're posting a new question!!

A quick google search reveals that this is a bizarro ripoff of a 2007 Paul Krugman article in the NY Times Here's the original sentence: "...under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, the Bush administration has created a supersized version of the 19th-century spoils system."

So the ripoff artist responsible for this question just swapped out "the Bush administration" with "many a modern day government." And I've never seen that particular colloquialism on the GMAT, and I really don't think you should waste any time thinking about it. I've never heard anybody under the age of 90 say anything like that, and I'd be shocked if you ever see it on the GMAT.

But for whatever it's worth: "many a _____" basically means "a large number of _____" So "many a modern day government" would be singular, in theory.

But again, if you ever use that expression in normal conversation with an American, you'll probably earn a confused look. :)

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
Hm, this doesn't look at all like a real GMAT question. Just a friendly reminder: please please please always include the source when you're posting a new question!!

A quick google search reveals that this is a bizarro ripoff of a 2007 Paul Krugman article in the NY Times Here's the original sentence: "...under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, the Bush administration has created a supersized version of the 19th-century spoils system."

So the ripoff artist responsible for this question just swapped out "the Bush administration" with "many a modern day government." And I've never seen that particular colloquialism on the GMAT, and I really don't think you should waste any time thinking about it. I've never heard anybody under the age of 90 say anything like that, and I'd be shocked if you ever see it on the GMAT.

But for whatever it's worth: "many a _____" basically means "a large number of _____" So "many a modern day government" would be singular, in theory.

But again, if you ever use that expression in normal conversation with an American, you'll probably earn a confused look. :)

I hope this helps!

Thank you for the quick reply GMATNinja.

But I have 1 further doubt: isn't "a large number of___" plural ?
Example: A large number of people ARE sitting in the park.
Example: A large number of ducks ARE floating on the water.

Basically "a number" is plural while "the number" is singular. I am confused by your statement above sire. Please throw some light on this doubt.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
3. LSAT RC compilation
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmatexam439 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

I hope this helps!

Basically "a number" is plural while "the number" is singular. I am confused by your statement above sire. Please throw some light on this doubt.

Regards

Oops, my fault -- yes, you're exactly right! I meant to write "the large number of", not "a large number of." "A large number of (plural noun)..." always takes a plural verb; "THE large number of (plural noun)..." always takes a singular.

I'm sort of tempted to edit my original post, but let's leave it in its typoed glory. Especially since this question is flawed enough that the thread probably deserves retirement, anyway. ;)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 11:42
GMATNinja wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

I hope this helps!

Regards

Oops, my fault -- yes, you're exactly right! I meant to write "the large number of", not "a large number of." "A large number of (plural noun)..." always takes a plural verb; "THE large number of (plural noun)..." always takes a singular.

I'm sort of tempted to edit my original post, but let's leave it in its typoed glory. Especially since this question is flawed enough that the thread probably deserves retirement, anyway. ;)

hahaha I am in the same boat as you are on this one :lol: .....

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
3. LSAT RC compilation
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Re: Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 11:42

Under the guise of promoting a conservative agenda, many a modern day

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap