It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 03:14
E can be considered a form of premise as the passage states that US is funding initiatives to increase the market/demand of solar power generators in the country. If not a premise, then this option weakens the argument as it states that the scope of market of the generators can't be that big as the current market in the country is very limited. So E weakens the argument in some way ie not that good a choice.

The point is that the Europeans are increasing the market for their own generators but how? Could be funding or some other way.

C definitely is a better choice as it clearly is supporting the argument. E could weaken the argument.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 32

Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 13:12
Why isnt B relevant? If efficiency increases, it will hamper the demand for generator even if the demand for solar power increases

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 153

GPA: 3.92
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 22:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Nina1987 wrote:
Why isnt B relevant? If efficiency increases, it will hamper the demand for generator even if the demand for solar power increases

I had the same reasoning, but nowhere in the passage is efficiency mentioned.
The passage talks about European and US manufacturers. European manufactures are emerging and replacing US manufacturers in Europe. What if the European manufacturers start exporting to the US and the markets in the US favor European manufactured solar generators?? Wouldn't that mean the end of US manufactures?
Hence Option C: Just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States.

If you analyze enough data, you can predict the future.....its calculating probability, nothing more!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 153

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 158

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 01:02
Lucky2783 wrote:
sheolokesh wrote:
I Got this answer wrong(E) initially. But now I understand why C.

In E it just states that current market for SP is limited in US. But what if the europeans take the US market? So E cant be the good choice..

But in C, just as Europe has dominancy in Euro. market, US has it's dominancy in US market. Thus indirectly states, Europe cant take US market.. Hope this helps...

aren't we assuming many levels down , sounds like the 4th level of dream that Leonardo di Caprio and his team fallen into in movie Instinct.
I will extend one step further to your assumption to go to level 5 of the dream
In E it just states that current market for SP is limited in US. But what if the europeans take the US market?
and in return USA govt puts more import duties on European SP to save the interests of its domestic manufacturers?
or what if USA manufacturers revamps it SP technology to re overtake European and America market again , if we can assume that European can take over american market than why not the vice versa ?

Shettytarun:
I would go for C because - 'The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States'

states that there is going to be a increase in demand, now it is important for players in US have to an edge over Europeans, else Europeans would capture the new demand.

Coming to E, whether the market as of today is limited or close to saturation is not important, as long as new demand is going to be generated.

Hope this helps

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 158

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 18:33
there is a question with the same topic, but the stem is not about "maintain the production level", but "the plan works for the U.S.". Hence, the correct answer should be similar to a mix of E and A.
A is certainly eliminated because it discusses "some" and "increasing output".

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:28
If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

lets suppose requirement for power generators in united state will be more due to government initiative. It doesn't guarantee that requirement will be fulfilled from american manufacturer. If European counterpart are more effective/competitive then they will be preferred . In that case manufacturer will not be able to sustain its current operation level.

only in Case C it is given that united state manufacturer enjoys local advantage similar to European manufacturer in Europe .
It implies that if demand increases due to government initiative united sate manufacturer will be preferred.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 14:03
Thanks kannu44 for the explanation!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 165

Schools: LBS '18

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 02:46
carcass wrote:
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share

Regards

carcass
well it's a nice explanation.
the way you eliminated a ,b,d is perfect.
However , i don't agree with your explanation for eliminating option e.
This is why,
as mentioned by you
Quote:
we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share

As mentioned in CR bible.
when weakening the question stem we have to keep note of some points, primarily some of which are
1. the information in the argument has reasoning errors, The information in stimulus is suspect
2. The answer choices are accepted as they are given , even if they include new information.
I thinks its a great book , probably one of the best to decipher cr.
And, therefore your explanation """not enough information to say this ......."""""is contrary to these facts given. Weakeners are not inferred from the stimulus . In fact , they are used to make the gap between conclusion and premises. bigger if there is in the argument,
Please correct me if i am wrong here
Thank you

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 165

Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2017, 02:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap