GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 05:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 708
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 23:36
(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
C seems to be best one
E is not because one way it is saying that increase in demand and in the same it would say that current is very limited .So it contradicting the same thing
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jan 2019
Posts: 54
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 02:40
This question is from the actual GMAT prep?

B D are completely off topic - eliminate
A and E just repeats already stated fact of the passage

That just leaves us with C - so pick C

C in reality does not complete the sentence logically - I could poke multiple holes in the logic of C
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Apr 2019
Posts: 35
Location: Indonesia
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Commercial Banking)
United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 17:47
dipeshsalvi wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators—most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.


(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited


My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Hi, can anyone explain why the answer is not (A)?
My reasoning is: (A) explains some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years. This means the supply of solar-power generators has been increasing to meet the demand from US, Europe, etc.
Should Europe demand decreases, this gap can be filled with increase of US demand due to successful government plan.

This explains why United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels.

Is there any loop hole in my reasoning? Would appreciate any enlightenment from the experts.

I understand I might need to assume that Europe output demand = US output demand, but isn't (C) also assuming that European manufacturers' competitive advantages in Europe = US manufacturers' competitive advantages in US ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2993
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 12:25
aidyn wrote:
dipeshsalvi wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

United States manufacturers produce most of the world's solar-power generators—most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.


(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited


My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Hi, can anyone explain why the answer is not (A)?
My reasoning is: (A) explains some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years. This means the supply of solar-power generators has been increasing to meet the demand from US, Europe, etc.
Should Europe demand decreases, this gap can be filled with increase of US demand due to successful government plan.

This explains why United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels.

Is there any loop hole in my reasoning? Would appreciate any enlightenment from the experts.

I understand I might need to assume that Europe output demand = US output demand, but isn't (C) also assuming that European manufacturers' competitive advantages in Europe = US manufacturers' competitive advantages in US ?

We know that US manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators and that most of those generators are exported to Europe. This describes the current situation. We are then told that "European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market." Okay, so that would take away much of the European demand for US-made solar generators.

At the same time, "the US government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States." If those initiatives succeed, we would expect US demand for solar generators to increase.

Who is going to supply the generators to meet that US demand? Will it be the US manufacturers? If so, then those US manufacturers "will probably maintain significant production levels." But what if the emerging European manufacturers end up supplying the solar generators to meet US demand (perhaps the generators made by the new, European manufacturers are better and/or cheaper than the ones made in the US)?

If US manufacturers LOSE their market in Europe and do NOT supply the solar generators to meet future US demand, then we would expect that US manufacturers will NOT maintain significant production levels. So we need some evidence that the US manufacturers would be the ones to supply the solar generators to the US (to meet demand that WOULD likely be created if the initiatives are successful). This is exactly what (C) gives us:

Quote:
(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

(C) gives us a reason why US manufacturers would be likely to supply the generators to meet future US demand. (A), on the other hand, only gives us information related to the last several years:

Quote:
(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

That's nice, but what happens once the US manufacturers LOSE their market share in Europe? And who is going to produce the generators to meet the hypothetical future demand in the US? (A) doesn't help us answer those questions.

(C) is the best answer.
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2018
Posts: 78
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
CAT Tests
United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 14:12
1
Can someone help me eliminate E. Is it because even though there is a limited US market for solar power and the demand might help the US manufacturers, but European manufacturers might come and take that market from the US manufacturers in which case just having a limited market and increasing that is not helpful?
_________________
Beautiful is the one who continues to try despite failure.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Apr 2019
Posts: 35
Location: Indonesia
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 17:19
GMATNinja wrote:
aidyn wrote:
dipeshsalvi wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

United States manufacturers produce most of the world's solar-power generators—most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.


(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited


My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Hi, can anyone explain why the answer is not (A)?
My reasoning is: (A) explains some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years. This means the supply of solar-power generators has been increasing to meet the demand from US, Europe, etc.
Should Europe demand decreases, this gap can be filled with increase of US demand due to successful government plan.

This explains why United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels.

Is there any loop hole in my reasoning? Would appreciate any enlightenment from the experts.

I understand I might need to assume that Europe output demand = US output demand, but isn't (C) also assuming that European manufacturers' competitive advantages in Europe = US manufacturers' competitive advantages in US ?

We know that US manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators and that most of those generators are exported to Europe. This describes the current situation. We are then told that "European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market." Okay, so that would take away much of the European demand for US-made solar generators.

At the same time, "the US government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States." If those initiatives succeed, we would expect US demand for solar generators to increase.

Who is going to supply the generators to meet that US demand? Will it be the US manufacturers? If so, then those US manufacturers "will probably maintain significant production levels." But what if the emerging European manufacturers end up supplying the solar generators to meet US demand (perhaps the generators made by the new, European manufacturers are better and/or cheaper than the ones made in the US)?

If US manufacturers LOSE their market in Europe and do NOT supply the solar generators to meet future US demand, then we would expect that US manufacturers will NOT maintain significant production levels. So we need some evidence that the US manufacturers would be the ones to supply the solar generators to the US (to meet demand that WOULD likely be created if the initiatives are successful). This is exactly what (C) gives us:

Quote:
(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

(C) gives us a reason why US manufacturers would be likely to supply the generators to meet future US demand. (A), on the other hand, only gives us information related to the last several years:

Quote:
(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

That's nice, but what happens once the US manufacturers LOSE their market share in Europe? And who is going to produce the generators to meet the hypothetical future demand in the US? (A) doesn't help us answer those questions.

(C) is the best answer.


Awesome explanation! Now everything makes sense. Thanks, GMATNinja!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2993
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2019, 21:27
1
aidyn wrote:
Awesome explanation! Now everything makes sense. Thanks, GMATNinja!

Thank you for the kind words, aidyn! Glad we could help.

Quote:
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

DiyaDutta wrote:
Can someone help me eliminate E. Is it because even though there is a limited US market for solar power and the demand might help the US manufacturers, but European manufacturers might come and take that market from the US manufacturers in which case just having a limited market and increasing that is not helpful?

I think you are on the right track here. The current market for solar-powered generators in the US isn't that important. The US government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. So regardless of the current demand, we expect US demand to increase.

Check out this explanation of the OA, if you haven't already.
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Nov 2018
Posts: 78
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
CAT Tests
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 12:53
GMATNinja wrote:
aidyn wrote:
Awesome explanation! Now everything makes sense. Thanks, GMATNinja!

Thank you for the kind words, aidyn! Glad we could help.

Quote:
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

DiyaDutta wrote:
Can someone help me eliminate E. Is it because even though there is a limited US market for solar power and the demand might help the US manufacturers, but European manufacturers might come and take that market from the US manufacturers in which case just having a limited market and increasing that is not helpful?

I think you are on the right track here. The current market for solar-powered generators in the US isn't that important. The US government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. So regardless of the current demand, we expect US demand to increase.

Check out this explanation of the OA, if you haven't already.


Thanks GMATNinja! Its clear now.
_________________
Beautiful is the one who continues to try despite failure.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 310
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 04:46
E is a trap answer and indeed a weakener.

So if the Current market low for the Solar energy in US then Funding internal Companies won't help as to increase the production there must be a scope of market or room for improvement
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 08 Apr 2019
Posts: 157
Location: India
GPA: 4
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 08:11
GMATNinja, can you please explain this question? I can't understand why E is incorrect.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2019, 08:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne