GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Posts: 3
United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jan 2019, 04:14
13
72
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:30) correct 49% (01:42) wrong based on 1979 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators—most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.


(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited


My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.

Originally posted by dipeshsalvi on 02 Nov 2013, 08:33.
Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Jan 2019, 04:14, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 7102
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2013, 14:19
18
1
6
dipeshsalvi wrote:
United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years
(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did
(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited



Hi Dipesh, You did perfect job while analyzing the interrelation among the facts, but just made a subtle error at the end, while analyzing the conclusion.

I am giving below you analysis.

Fact – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.
Fact – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)
Fact – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States.

Conclusion :- If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels,-------------


We can see in the 3rd fact that Author has stated that the US Govt has taken initiative to boost up sales of solar power in the US. This clearly indicates that the demand for solar power generators is currently not high enough to accommodate the produce of US generator manufacturers. (This is what Choice E says)

Then Author has concluded that if govt's initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar power generators, US manufacturers will probably maintain significant production level. Here the author has assumed that the increased demand of solar power gensets will be fulfilled by supplies of US manufacturers. So next logical premise would eliminate the possibility of fulfillment of increased demand by sources other than US manufacturers. Choice C does that job and hence is the correct answer.
_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Most Helpful Community Reply
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3397
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2013, 15:13
6
1
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement


(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share


Regards
_________________
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Posts: 19
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 11:29
carcass wrote:
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement


(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share


Regards


Not convinced with ur explanation. Do you have any other reason in support of ur answer??
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 840
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 12:55
2
tusharGupta1 wrote:
carcass wrote:
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement


(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share


Regards


Not convinced with ur explanation. Do you have any other reason in support of ur answer??

Dear Tushar
Will be happy if my post helps you!!!

Think from the point of view that incase the USA consumers start aligning themselves to the European models. In that case incresed production of USA companies will fail in getting a client.
So Option C is a full proof answer to the question at hand.

Archit

Hit kudos if my post helps!!!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1387
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2014, 10:33
3
Bumping this question, any comments on why E is not the answer.
What I can think of is that E is implicitly stated in the premise, hence should not be considered.

But still, I am not pretty convinced
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 661
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 23:03
3
If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

If X, then Y since Z

But we have already stated (E) in X so why would we need (E) again in Z, we need something else to fill Z to support the US M.

(C) does that
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2014
Posts: 97
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2014, 13:36
1
US Mfgs produce most of the solar power generators and most of them are exported to Europe
European mfgs are coming up and will capture much of the european market.

US Govt is trying to increase demand for solar power generators in US.
Conclusion - US MFGs might be able to maintain prod levels if demand increases in US

Correct answer choice should explain what happens when the demand increases.
Will the demand be fulfilled by US MFGs - maintain productivity
or
Will the demand be fulfilled by European MFGs - US MFGs cannot maintain productivity even when the demand increases


(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years - Incorrect. Does not explain what happens when the demand increases.

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did - Incorrect. we are not concerned about technology

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States - Correct. Explains why US MFGs will be able to maintain prod level when the demand increases.

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe - Incorrect. does not answer what will happen in US?

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited - Incorrect. So what ? This does not explain what will happen when the demand increases. Even if the current market is limited and the demand increases, we don't know for sure whether US MFGs will be able to sell their products. This is irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Posts: 93
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2014, 22:03
Bumping it up yet again. Guys please help! Why not E and how C?
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 627
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2014, 00:26
2
1
Quote:
Bumping it up yet again. Guys please help! Why not E and how C?


C is preferred because it is logically parallel to analogy that is presented in the passage.
the premise states: European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market.----->implying that "European manufacturers" enjoy some advantage of home ground . C works on this logic and hence is a better answer
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 22:14
1
Here is my 2 cents.
This is an Inference question, therefore, we would need an answer that MUST BE TRUE, within the same logic as the clause that precedes it. In this prompt, we have If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.
In other words, we have to justify that the US’ initiatives will succeed because of a certain reason

To summarize,
Fact 1 – US produces the most SPG and exports this to Europe
Fact 2 – Eur markets are emerging, and Eur producers are as well
Therefore, US might lose demand in Eur
Fact 3 – Initiatives are underway to increase demand in US.

Need to prove – US will succeed

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years
- does not necessarily suggest that demand will be sustained as the Eur producers might overtake US when the markets have established themselves
(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did
- Does not follow in the clause above, if anything, this suggests that the market for solar-power generators as a whole is not feasible in any geographical location
(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
- CORRECT. Suggests that the market can be feasible in the US due to the competitive advantage
- Only answer choice that logically follows from the preceding clause. The other answer choices do not support that there can be a market in the US
(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe
- Does not support preceding clause, also does not suggest a result that may follow from increasing the initiatives in the US. If the same is applied in Europe, then so what?
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited
- It may be true, however, it does not support the phrase that United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels. It does not result to this desired outcome, therefore, we cannot accept this answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 12:01
Europe Consumers (EuC) are buying from US Manufactures (US.M). Why? Because Europe Manufactures (EuM) were not producing enough.
But things are changing now. EuM will produce more which will lead to lesser demand of US Produced Solar Power. Now Why would EuC move to EuM? Maybe there are advantages for buying local such cheap price, lower taxes, govt. support etc.
That is a logical assumption.

What would happen to US.M? Demand of their product will decrease. Which will lead to lower the production.
What US govt. is doing? They are initiating some programs to boost the demand, this also implies that there was not enough demand.
Now more demand in US, but will the US Consumer buy product from US.M? To strengthen this, we have to assume YES. Why? Because like EuC prefers to buy local, from EuM, US Consumer will prefer to buy from US.M (locally)

This is tough one, after reading other explanations I can see why the answer choice (C) is correct. But thinking through on the test will be quite tough.

I think more practice is the solution so that we can learn to look into nooks and corners, which otherwise we miss.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Dec 2015
Posts: 50
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 13:12
Why isnt B relevant? If efficiency increases, it will hamper the demand for generator even if the demand for solar power increases
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Dec 2015
Posts: 82
GPA: 3.92
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Premium Member
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 22:08
1
Nina1987 wrote:
Why isnt B relevant? If efficiency increases, it will hamper the demand for generator even if the demand for solar power increases


I had the same reasoning, but nowhere in the passage is efficiency mentioned.
The passage talks about European and US manufacturers. European manufactures are emerging and replacing US manufacturers in Europe. What if the European manufacturers start exporting to the US and the markets in the US favor European manufactured solar generators?? Wouldn't that mean the end of US manufactures?
Hence Option C: Just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States.
_________________
If you analyze enough data, you can predict the future.....its calculating probability, nothing more!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 122
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:28
2
If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

lets suppose requirement for power generators in united state will be more due to government initiative. It doesn't guarantee that requirement will be fulfilled from american manufacturer. If European counterpart are more effective/competitive then they will be preferred . In that case manufacturer will not be able to sustain its current operation level.

only in Case C it is given that united state manufacturer enjoys local advantage similar to European manufacturer in Europe .
It implies that if demand increases due to government initiative united sate manufacturer will be preferred.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Nov 2013
Posts: 19
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 08:34
Hi everybody,

Need some help with D).If the European demand increases then it is logical to infer that European companies will be busy supplying to Europe than to America right..
This might increase the chances of American companies selling in America.So by this logic D) out to be correct right..?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2857
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 19:03
3
redskull wrote:
Hi everybody,

Need some help with D).If the European demand increases then it is logical to infer that European companies will be busy supplying to Europe than to America right..
This might increase the chances of American companies selling in America.So by this logic D) out to be correct right..?

It's true that this fact might benefit American companies... as you described, if the European companies are busy supplying to Europe, there might be less of a chance that those European companies will compete in America.

But we need an answer choice that most logically completes the argument. Think about the sentence we are trying to complete: "If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________." The author says that US manufacturers will probably maintain significant production if the government succeeds in encouraging the use of solar power in the US. So we need an answer choice that specifically answers the question, "Why will US manufacturers maintain significant production if the use of solar power is successfully encouraged in the US?" In other words, if demand increases in the US, will US manufacturers largely fill that demand?

Choice (D) might represent a reason why European manufacturers would not export to the US, but that's a pretty big assumption to make. In order for choice (D) to be correct, we'd have to assume that the European manufacturers won't want to export because they are content with the amount of business they have in Europe.... hmm. Maybe the European manufacturers will only want to EXPAND, i.e. to use their profits from Europe to create a global empire. Sure, we can describe a scenario in which choice (D) benefits US manufacturers, but we really have no idea how the European manufacturers would behave in that case.

Choice (C), on the other hand, gives us a specific reason why the US manufacturers would be in a better position to fill the demand in the US than would foreign manufacturers. This certainly suggests that an increase in US demand would cause US manufacturers to maintain significant production.

Choice (C) is a better answer.
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1716
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 02:04
United States manufacturers=USM
Premise and pre-thinking: USM currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators—most of which are exported to Europe. but yes they export to other places too. Small or big, No information given. EMs are emerging. so USM have lost EU market. US gov came as rescuer and funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. Mind that it is just initiative as of now.

these initiatives are for increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States. and if they successful, demand for solar-power generators will increase. for full fill this demand, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels.


Conclusion: United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels.

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years --- demand is not increasing for several years. even we don't know since when.

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did --- any how we are concerned with things we already have.

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States --- First part is not making much effect second part is what interests me. United States manufacturers in the United States enjoy certain competitive advantages. Competitive advantage means a condition or circumstance that puts a company in a favorable or superior business position. other part is that other manufacturers such as EU once will not target this market. even if target USM will have edge. Do USM need to maintain significant production levels to achieve this. Yes. i guess this should be the ans.

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe --- irrelevent.

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited --- not make impact.

C should be the ans.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Reviews Badge
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 18:15
1
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators—most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

First of all we need to recognize that this is an Explain question. An explain question is not argumentative, it consists of set of facts that compare two conditions and describe the discrepancy. In this question, you should focus on resolving/explaining the discrepancy. Take a look at the following answers:
(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years - INCORRECT, this statement is out of scope and does not explain how US manufacturers can maintain their production level.

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did - INCORRECT, again this is out of scope, the information does not have anything to do with efficiency of generators

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States - CORRECT, this answer explain how the increase of demand will benefit the US manufacturers. If the demand in the US increases, the US manufacturers will benefit because they are in the same condition as European manufacturers (a.k.a. enjoy competitive advantage).

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe - INCORRECT, this statement does not explain how the US manufacturers can maintain their production levels

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited - INCORRECT, for same reason as D, this answer does not
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Mar 2018
Posts: 69
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 03:57
2
If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

vs

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

Note very carefully, increasing demand in(domestic demand inside the country) the united states, The US will probably maintain significant production level... Now look for an option that explains why the US can maintain the production level because of domestic demand and not any other demand.

Option C states "competitive advantages are enjoyed by the US manufacturers in the US.... which means even if the European market tries to compete in the US, they will lose. Thus when you increase demand locally... you can safely maintain the current production levels because you do not have a competitor"...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2018, 03:57

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's sola

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne