GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasolin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasolin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 22:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:24) correct 46% (01:26) wrong based on 503 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in New Jersey.

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set
Current Student
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Re: Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasolin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 22:56
(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities
Incorrect comparison

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none
Incorrect comparison

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set
"one" aims to refer to "taxes", however, "taxes" is plural so the use of "one" (singular) is incorrect.

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set
Between E (passive voice) & D (active voice), it makes sense to choose D.

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Intern
Intern
Re: Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasolin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 23:10
Patronus wrote:

However, I wonder whether, while using "Although", the Subject in the Main Clause should be the same as the Subject in the Subordinate Cluase?!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 23:32
Hi pavankarwa123,

Not always.
E.g.: Although it rained, I must see the festival. (Subordinate clause followed by Independent Clause)
So the subject in "although" part is "it"
However, the subject in the independent clause is "I". And the sentence is logically correct.

Also, if I may point out another subtle difference present in choices D & E, which is as follows:

It states that "state or local authorities set taxes" set taxes in an area called "tri-state area"
So something is happening in one area (tri-state area) and it is contrasted with something that is happening in another (in New Jersey).

Converting part of the above sentence from passive to active voice to clearly see the difference.
It states that "state or local authorities in the tri-state area" set taxes but we don't know where do they set it!
E.g.: It is like saying:
"Police from Japan set taxes" but where? In Korea or in America? We need to know where.

And knowing where is extremely essential in drawing a contrast mentioned in the 2nd half of the sentence that states "no such taxes in New Jersey"

Let me know if all this makes sense?

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Re: Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 09:18
How can D be correct if in the first part of the sentence the plural form "gasoline taxes" is used but the singular "tax" is used in the second part?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 09:59
Gurface
Is there any need to maintain number parallelism between a subordinate clause and the main clause? Look at the following example; because my neighbor does not permit his children to surf internet after 10 pm, Tom is unable to send emails past that time.
Now do we have to say children again in the main clause just because we have used a plural in the first place?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 10:23
bhatiavai
Yes! you are correct; wneed 'in NJ' after the comma in A and just 'NJ' after the comma in B

Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 12:05
daagh wrote:
bhatiavai
Yes! you are correct; wneed 'in NJ' after the comma in A and just 'NJ' after the comma in B

HI Daagh,

I have a doubt here, IF we need NJ after comma in A and B then why don't we need that after comma in D

Kindly let me know what am I missing here
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 12:22
kanigmat011 wrote:
daagh wrote:
bhatiavai

HI Daagh,

I have a doubt here, If we need NJ after comma in A and B then why don't we need that after comma in D

Kindly let me know what am I missing here

You do not need NJ after comma in D and E, but you do require in A, B and C. This is because A, B and C have a different structure. Unlike is a preposition for comparison which require a noun to be compared with a noun. So structure for Like/Unlike is Like A, B... Here A and B should both be nouns.

In D and E, we have an adverbial clause modifying the main clause.

In D, the adverbial or subordinating clause is "Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area"

Main clause, no such tax has been set in NJ.

Here adverbial clause is modifying the main clause. Adverb clause don't have to be parallel in structure with the main clause. So if subject of adverb clause is "state or local authorities of tri-state area", main clause does not have to have "state or local authorities of NJ" as its subject. As long as adverbial clause is modifying the main clause logically, we are good.

Hope it helps.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 20:23
why C is wrong?
such one is wrong?

pls help
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 03:07
What does the indefinite pronoun 'one' refer to? We might be tempted to say that it refers to the 'tax', but there is no such word as tax in the clause. There is only the 'taxes'. So we have to specifically state the word 'tax'

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2015, 01:23
Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in New Jersey.

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area[/u], there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities ---- wrong comparison, no parallelism

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none --- the same error (a), so it's a wrong comparison

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such [b]one[/b] has been set -- "one" refers to taxes, so has should be have

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set , correct

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such [u]taxes has been
set (taxes = plural, has=singular)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 13:15
Basic split is between Unlike and Although.

Lets quickly look at the ones with Unlike -- Both A and B are using unlike incorrectly. Correct format is Unlike X, Y (where X and Y both are Noun). So A and B are out.

E is using "Usually" as an adverb for the taxes, which does not look correct. So E is out.

Between C and D -- I feel D is better choice with a appositive modifier which clearly mentions Tax instead of using "one" which we are not sure about if it is pointing to Tax or tri-state area or something else.

so D is the answer.

daagh wrote:

OA after three attempts
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 00:49

(A) Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities -Wrong comparison

(B) Unlike the other states in the tri-state area that have gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities, there are none -Wrong comparison

(C) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such one has been set -such one? wrong

(D) Although state or local authorities usually set gasoline taxes in the tri-state area, no such tax has been set -Correct

(E) Although there are usually gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities in the tri-state area, no such taxes has been set -SV disagreement

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 05:07
Whats wrong with Option A?

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

How is this option having a wrong comparison?
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 09:06
Novice90 wrote:
Whats wrong with Option A?

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasoline taxes set by state or local authorities

How is this option having a wrong comparison?

Hi,

Here there are 2 grave errors:
1. Foremost, "like/unlike" shouldn't be followed by a prepositional phrase. They should be followed by a noun/pronoun.
2. Correct version should have been: Unlike the other states in the tri-state area, New Jersey doesn't have gasoline taxes.

So the sentence is not only making invalid comparison but also having wrong structure.

Hope that helps.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 00:08
dominicraj wrote:

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Eliminate A and B on the grounds of a dangling modifier. New Jersey must come after the first comma in options A and B but it does not. “No such one” in option C is non-idiomatic. There is a lack of agreement in Option E between “taxes” and “has”. D is correct.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasolin &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 00:08

Unlike in the other states in the tri-state area, there are no gasolin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap