It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unprofessional GMAT Center : Anxiety levels high

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 4

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Unprofessional GMAT Center : Anxiety levels high [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
First of all i would like to thank the entire GMATclub community for the help and advice. This has truly been my go to place for any GMAT related queries.
I gave my GMAT yesterday for the second time with very high hopes, was sure to enter the 700+ elite group. I had by debrief ready in my head, however I scored a 690 and missed the mark!
I am not sure how to feel about it. I really gave in my all and am coming to terms with the score, as I had better scores in all my mocks as well.
GMATPrep 1 - 700
GMAT prep 2 - 750
MGMAT1 - 690
MGMAT 2 - 700
MGMAT3 - 710
MGMAT 4 - 710

I dont mean to sound like I am externalizing blame, but I do think things would have been different had the test center been more professional. I took the GMAT in September 2017 at Ahemdabad, India. This is the second time I took the GMAT and the first time I took the test in August 2017 in Mumbai and the experience was above expectation. This difference in experience has definitely affected my performance and it is highly unacceptable that a candidate's career is in jeopardy because of a test center.

To begin with, the waiting area at the test center did not have any seating arrangement, instead there was just enough space for 3 people to stand. I reached the test center at 1.30 PM, as my test was scheduled at 2PM. Because there wasn’t enough space in the waiting area for all the candidates, some of us were asked to wait outside in the building’s stairwell.

The registration process started at 1.30, and then suddenly all the candidates were asked move to wait outside in the stairwell, where it was as hot as 96 degrees. We were asked to wait indefinitely with no explanations given. I went to enquire at the test center after over 30 minutes of waiting as it was 2PM and time for the test to begin. The officials then told me that there was some error, but they couldn’t tell me for how much longer we’d have to wait.

The officials were polite but they seemed clueless, with no clear directions. Candidates kept walking in and out of the center, some started with their registration process, some were told to go back to the stairwell and few were told they could leave. All this confusion was a real agony. We all ended up waiting in the sweltering stairwell for another hour. It was 3 PM and we had no idea for how much longer we would have to wait.

I would like to point out that while preparing for GMAT, I had carefully scheduled my day to optimize my performance, detailing my meal times and sleep times as well. Scheduling my test at 2PM was a strategic decision having practiced all my mock tests at the same time. Waiting for almost 2 hours really threw things off schedule. I was hungry but the officials at the test center could not tell me how long it would take, so I couldn’t step out for a bite. Discomfort of waiting in the heat in a stairwell definitely made things worse. I could not believe that GMAC authorities could let such highly unprofessional behavior pass.

We were finally called in at 3.45. I wanted to use the washroom before the test, however the washroom is not usable as the door cant be closed. By now I was exhausted, uncomfortable and hungry. This is not the mindset in which a candidate should have to give the GMAT. Further it is extremely unfair that certain candidates face such discomforting situations where as others have a smooth experience.

Few other concerns at the center:
- Noise problem: The testing room should be as quiet as possible, if not absolute. The wall and door should facilitate noise-cancellation. The noise from people walking in and out, chatting with each other outside, walking up and down the stairs, or even drinking water from the fountain. should not be heard from inside the testing room.
- Noise canceller: The centre did not have noise cancellations (Mumbai centre had these). Instead they had earplugs which were not very effective.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 4

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29068 [1], given: 5262

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Unprofessional GMAT Center : Anxiety levels high [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thank you for posting your debrief and I feel for you. The experience does not sound productive or helpful to your gmat score.

At the same time 690 is a solid score but it would have been nicer to get that 7 in there.

It is really up to you whether you want to retake and subject yourself to this experience again but likely you can get 10-30 more points if you keep up to date on your routines for 2 more weeks. Not sure if your R1 timelines allow for that - something for you to decide.

PS. Thank you for a very detailed and professional debrief and converting the temperature to F.

If you have an opportunity, please submit a separate test center review here: https://gmatclub.com/reviews

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29068 [1], given: 5262

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 42

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Unprofessional GMAT Center : Anxiety levels high [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
I really feel bad for you. I know the mumbai center is amazing and very professional. since your manhattan mocks are around 690-710 that would be a 720-760 on the actual gmat as mgmat math is very hard. Also your gmat prep two was significantly higher than 1. In my previous attempt my mocks were somewhere like you and i still scored a 640 because of anxiety. I gave it again in july and got a 720. Depending on your college and personal preference you should think whether you wanna give the exam again or no. I would suggest giving it one more shot after like a 25 day period. I am sure you will hit 720+. Read my debrief if you want

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 42

Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 468

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 06:21
Gargie.D I think you can email to GMAC. They can help you to retake the test.

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 468

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 08:49
NandishSS
Hi thank you for your support and advice!
I have sent an e-mail to the authorities.
I hope GMAC gives a positive response.

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 09:04
bb
Thank you for your kinds words. I posted my review as you suggested.
It is very motivating to be told by an expert that a 690 score isn't bad.
However I cant afford another attempt, so will go ahead with my applications with this score.

Re: Unprofessional GMAT Center : Anxiety levels high   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 09:04

Unprofessional GMAT Center : Anxiety levels high

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap