GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 Jan 2020, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mendoza vs Owen vs Scheller : all with full scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which way to go?

• 16% [1]
  • 16% [1]
  • 50% [3]
  • 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 16% [1]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Mendoza vs Owen vs Scheller : all with full scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Dec 2019, 06:52
Hello!

I am a female Indian applicant with 3.5 years of experience in a Big4 consulting firm and a GMAT score of 710. My Post-MBA goal is to continue with consulting(preferably in the US) and if that doesn't work out, plan b is tech, since my work experience has allowed me exposure to both the fields. I applied to a few programs out of which I have been accepted in 3 so far.
I am currently facing a dilemma of which bschool to enroll in out of Notre Dame Mendoza, Georgia Tech Scheller(Deposit deadline on 20th December!!), and Vanderbilt Owen. I have been fortunate enough to get a full scholarship in all three. While I really wanted to get an admit in CMU Tepper, much to my dismay I have been waitlisted there (with interview).
I am also having thoughts of applying to more schools (outside the US) in R2, and even of retaking the GMAT to target a 750+ and improving my profile in another year so that I can apply to better colleges for 2021 intake.
Considering facts like college rankings, location, no STEM for my intended concentration in either of these colleges and employment opportunities for International applicants, what would you suggest?
Also, if someone can talk to me about their work VISA experience as an International non-STEM MBA student in US, please PM me.

Originally posted by learner311 on 15 Dec 2019, 06:35.
Last edited by learner311 on 19 Dec 2019, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Mendoza vs Owen vs Scheller : all with full scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 16:01
learner311 wrote:
I am a female Indian applicant with 3.5 years of experience in a Big4 consulting firm and a GMAT score of 710. My Post-MBA goal is to continue with consulting(preferably in the US) and if that doesn't work out, plan b is tech, since my work experience has allowed me exposure to both the fields.

FWIW, I think you (and most international students) would like either Atlanta or Nashville more than South Bend. Both are big(ger) cities, more cosmopolitan, with much better climates than the frozen tundra of Northern Indiana.

Owen and Scheller's employment reports are very similar. Both can get you into Big 4 consulting roles:
VU: https://business.vanderbilt.edu/mba/van ... -outcomes/
GT: https://www.scheller.gatech.edu/degree- ... pment.html

Vanderbilt as a brand is more highly regarded than Tech. And in my not-so-humble-opinion, Nashville is way more fun than Atlanta. (Unless you just LOVE traffic jams...)

tldr; Go to Vanderbilt. Anchor Down!

learner311 wrote:
Considering facts like college rankings, location, no STEM for my intended concentration in either of these colleges and employment opportunities for International applicants, what would you suggest?
Also, if someone can talk to me about their work VISA experience as an International non-STEM MBA student in US, please PM me.

AFAIK, there isn't really a "consulting" concentration at either school. Consulting is a career you can pursue from a number of different concentrations (strategy, ops, finance, human capital, etc.) At Owen, you can choose to do the STEM-eligible finance concentration and get that upside as well. (Link: https://business.vanderbilt.edu/news/20 ... certified/) I am not sure if Scheller offers the same, but it is worth looking into. I think Mendoza does as well.

Full Disclosure: I'm a happy Owen alum
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 16:25
Why urgent? If I am asked to comment urgently on a Sunday, I require an urgent explanation.

Posted from my mobile device
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 21:44
teleste wrote:
learner311 wrote:
I am a female Indian applicant with 3.5 years of experience in a Big4 consulting firm and a GMAT score of 710. My Post-MBA goal is to continue with consulting(preferably in the US) and if that doesn't work out, plan b is tech, since my work experience has allowed me exposure to both the fields.

FWIW, I think you (and most international students) would like either Atlanta or Nashville more than South Bend. Both are big(ger) cities, more cosmopolitan, with much better climates than the frozen tundra of Northern Indiana.

Owen and Scheller's employment reports are very similar. Both can get you into Big 4 consulting roles:
VU: https://business.vanderbilt.edu/mba/van ... -outcomes/
GT: https://www.scheller.gatech.edu/degree- ... pment.html

Vanderbilt as a brand is more highly regarded than Tech. And in my not-so-humble-opinion, Nashville is way more fun than Atlanta. (Unless you just LOVE traffic jams...)

tldr; Go to Vanderbilt. Anchor Down!

learner311 wrote:

AFAIK, there isn't really a "consulting" concentration at either school. Consulting is a career you can pursue from a number of different concentrations (strategy, ops, finance, human capital, etc.) At Owen, you can choose to do the STEM-eligible finance concentration and get that upside as well. (Link: https://business.vanderbilt.edu/news/20 ... certified/) I am not sure if Scheller offers the same, but it is worth looking into. I think Mendoza does as well.

Full Disclosure: I'm a happy Owen alum

Thank you so much for replying! Got some strong points to add to my analysis.

And yes, no "consulting" concentration per se, but I meant I was planning for the strategy focused concentrations, which aren't STEM at any of these colleges. But I will try to know more about the STEM angle from people who've BTDT (referring to the last statement of my original post). If you get any info on the possibility of Owen becoming a STEM MBA program, please let me know.

Thanks again for your reply!

~
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 21:53
bb wrote:
Why urgent? If I am asked to comment urgently on a Sunday, I require an urgent explanation.

Haha! I forgot to mention (as a noticeable statement in my post) that the deadline to submit initial deposit for Scheller is 20th December.

Have a great week ahead! :-D

~
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 22:01
learner311 wrote:
the possibility of Owen becoming a STEM MBA program, please let me know.

I am still a bit confused here. If you complete the finance concentration, an MBA at Vanderbilt *is* STEM accredited. One can (easily) finish 2 or even 3 concentrations at Owen within 2 years without piling on extra credits. You could do Finance + Strategy and/or Ops, for example, which would be a great combo for consulting, and allow you to do the STEM Opt path. You're already going to be required to take several finance classes anyway, since, you know, it is a Master of Business Administration. :tongue_opt2
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 22:07
teleste wrote:
learner311 wrote:
the possibility of Owen becoming a STEM MBA program, please let me know.

I am still a bit confused here. If you complete the finance concentration, an MBA at Vanderbilt *is* STEM accredited. One can (easily) finish 2 or even 3 concentrations at Owen within 2 years without piling on extra credits. You could do Finance + Strategy and/or Ops, for example, which would be a great combo for consulting, and allow you to do the STEM Opt path. You're already going to be required to take several finance classes anyway, since, you know, it is a Master of Business Administration. :tongue_opt2

Sure! I can do that. I didn't think about taking more than 2 concentrations.
Thanks for clarifying. :)

~
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mendoza vs Owen vs Scheller : all with full scholarship   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2019, 22:07

Mendoza vs Owen vs Scheller : all with full scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status