It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 06:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

96% (01:41) correct 4% (02:09) wrong based on 113 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following most logically completes the argument below?

Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals with a weak immune system, presents a difficulty: how to keep the immune system from being damaged along with the parasite. For at least some species of animals, a special medicine that prevents antibiotic-based damage of the immune system, is being developed. This protection wears off as the animal matures. Therefore, the special medicine will be especially useful for Toxoplasma-vulnerable animals that _____________ .
(A) carry their newborn babies inside of them over an extended period of time, as elephants do
(B) produce chemicals simulating the effect of the special medicine after several treatments
(C) produce, as they develop beyond puberty, immune cells strong enough to keep Toxoplasma from surviving
(D) are raised in large-scale indoor confinement operations, as chickens are
(E) are kept outdoors inhabiting free-ranging environments
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 07:55
C seems best here: produce, as they develop beyond puberty, immune cells strong enough to keep Toxoplasma from surviving
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 08:02
reasoning: the argument is talking about some antibiotic that can kill some weird parasite called T. however there might be some "antibiotic based damage as well" .So a special medicine is being made to prevent this "antibiotic based damage" . the protection of this "new antibiotic" will wear off as animal matures. now we have to realize that such an "antibiotic" will only be useful to an animal who can develop cells immune to that "parasite" because once the effect of that "new antibiotic" wears off then that animal will be self sufficient to fight the parasite !!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2014, 07:03
I'm thinking B here--I was also between B and C.

I think because C mentions puberty, it seems out of scope? Also, we don't know how long it is until the animal reaches puberty. So, I believe that B is a better answer as it only takes a few treatments to stimulate production of cells/chemicals that simulate the effects of the special medicine.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 08:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
intheend14 wrote:
I'm thinking B here--I was also between B and C.

I think because C mentions puberty, it seems out of scope? Also, we don't know how long it is until the animal reaches puberty. So, I believe that B is a better answer as it only takes a few treatments to stimulate production of cells/chemicals that simulate the effects of the special medicine.

IMO the answer is C.

(A) carry their newborn babies inside of them over an extended period of time, as elephants do - irrelevant
(B) produce chemicals simulating the effect of the special medicine after several treatments - this exacerbates the problem
(C) produce, as they develop beyond puberty, immune cells strong enough to keep Toxoplasma from surviving - correct, immune system is stronger when the effect of Toxoplasma is higher
(D) are raised in large-scale indoor confinement operations, as chickens are - not a strong enough reason
(E) are kept outdoors inhabiting free-ranging environments - opposite

Kudos please :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Darden '17 (M)
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
AutoBot wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument below?

Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals with a weak immune system, presents a difficulty: how to keep the immune system from being damaged along with the parasite. For at least some species of animals, a special medicine that prevents antibiotic-based damage of the immune system, is being developed. This protection wears off as the animal matures. Therefore, the special medicine will be especially useful for Toxoplasma-vulnerable animals that _____________ .
(A) carry their newborn babies inside of them over an extended period of time, as elephants do
(B) produce chemicals simulating the effect of the special medicine after several treatments
(C) produce, as they develop beyond puberty, immune cells strong enough to keep Toxoplasma from surviving

Can you provide OA?

I believe that the answer here is C.

The animals that are most sensitive and likely to be damaged from Toxoplasma will be given the antibiotic which protects them as they mature. The antibiotic effectively gives them cover until their own bodies produce immune cells that protect them.

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 01:04
Answer: [C]

"Therefore, the special medicine will be especially useful for Toxoplasma-vulnerable animals that _____________ ."

The medicine is useful for "Toxoplasma-vulnerable animals" until they are no longer "Toxoplasma-vulnerable".

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 05:26
In my opinion answer is C
but still confused between B and C
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 10:58

For at least some species of animals, a special medicine that prevents antibiotic-based damage of the immune system, is being developed. This protection wears off/ becomes less effective as the animal matures.

Before maturity the animals should develop immunity to protect themselves.

Clear C.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Re: Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals.   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2017, 10:58

Using antibiotics to kill Toxoplasma, a parasite that attacks animals.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap