Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618887 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618887 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: V02-23 [#permalink]
Richa07 wrote:
Hi,

Why E is incorrect? If large farm and small firm are not in competition, then the entire plan is of no use.
Also Let say the large farm has huge stock to unload in market; but still it would affect the market of the small firm.

I second this ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A small orchard specializing in citrus fruits has been receiving fewer orders for oranges in the off season. Orchard owners expect demand to pick up in the coming weeks as harvest begins, but they are concerned about a neighboring orchard nearly three times their size. The neighboring orchard has announced plans to sell cases of oranges for 20% less than regular price in order to jump-start the season by attracting new business.

Which of the following, if true, points to the most serious flaw of the small orchard's plan to attract business by matching the prices of the competing orchard?

A. The small orchard has a dozen customers under contract to purchase the first oranges of the season and may anger them by not extending the discount to them.
B. The small orchard does not have time to advertise its oranges at lower prices.
C. The small orchard will reduce the number of oranges in each case to minimize losses incurred by matching prices.
D. The large orchard has a larger inventory and is more able to take losses on initially discounted oranges.
E. The large orchard will target a different market than the small orchard.

Situation: A small orchard desires to compete with a larger neighboring orchard.

Reasoning: Which point reveals the most serious flaw in the small orchard's plan? It can be determined from the passage that the large orchard has three times the inventory of the small orchard, and that they are looking to attract new business. It can also be inferred from the passage that the owners of the large orchard are confident that they are able to sell oranges at a discount and still remain solvent.
  1. The concern of the orchards is in attracting new business, not satisfying existing customers. Additionally, customers under contract have likely already agreed to a non-discount price.
  2. This item may be problematic, but does not address the concerns of the passage as a whole.
  3. This approach is not a flaw in the plan, but a possible, potentially unethical, solution.
  4. The large orchard's greater inventory will give them a flexibility that will outlast the small orchard. The small orchard could run out of stock before the large orchard has sold even a third of its oranges.
  5. This item makes it sound as if the two orchards will not actually be in competition, but does not address the soundness of the small orchard's plan.

Answer: D

I don't understand this explanation for why D is correct.
If the small orchard has run out of stock (meaning they sell everything), why is that a problem? The goal is to attract customers. But if they are sold out completely, that means that goal is achieved.

Only option B prevents them from achiving this goal of getting more customers. If they dont advertise the lower price (which neighbouring orchard has announced), then they wont achieve the goal.
Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Richa07 wrote:
Hi,

Why E is incorrect? If large farm and small firm are not in competition, then the entire plan is of no use.
Also Let say the large farm has huge stock to unload in market; but still it would affect the market of the small firm.

IMO, the goal is to attract more customers.
This option at best does not affect achieving this goal but is not really a flaw in the plan. If they have different markets, at best it doesnt matter. But it wont cause problems in achieving the goal.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
82vkgmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A small orchard specializing in citrus fruits has been receiving fewer orders for oranges in the off season. Orchard owners expect demand to pick up in the coming weeks as harvest begins, but they are concerned about a neighboring orchard nearly three times their size. The neighboring orchard has announced plans to sell cases of oranges for 20% less than regular price in order to jump-start the season by attracting new business.

Which of the following, if true, points to the most serious flaw of the small orchard's plan to attract business by matching the prices of the competing orchard?

A. The small orchard has a dozen customers under contract to purchase the first oranges of the season and may anger them by not extending the discount to them.
B. The small orchard does not have time to advertise its oranges at lower prices.
C. The small orchard will reduce the number of oranges in each case to minimize losses incurred by matching prices.
D. The large orchard has a larger inventory and is more able to take losses on initially discounted oranges.

Situation: A small orchard desires to compete with a larger neighboring orchard.

Reasoning: Which point reveals the most serious flaw in the small orchard's plan? It can be determined from the passage that the large orchard has three times the inventory of the small orchard, and that they are looking to attract new business. It can also be inferred from the passage that the owners of the large orchard are confident that they are able to sell oranges at a discount and still remain solvent.
  1. The concern of the orchards is in attracting new business, not satisfying existing customers. Additionally, customers under contract have likely already agreed to a non-discount price.
  2. This item may be problematic, but does not address the concerns of the passage as a whole.
  3. This approach is not a flaw in the plan, but a possible, potentially unethical, solution.
  4. The large orchard's greater inventory will give them a flexibility that will outlast the small orchard. The small orchard could run out of stock before the large orchard has sold even a third of its oranges.
  5. This item makes it sound as if the two orchards will not actually be in competition, but does not address the soundness of the small orchard's plan.

If the small orchard has run out of stock (meaning they sell everything), why is that a problem? The goal is to attract customers. But if they are sold out completely, that means that goal is achieved.

Only option B prevents them from achiving this goal of getting more customers. If they dont advertise the lower price (which neighbouring orchard has announced), then they wont achieve the goal.
Any thoughts?

Fully agree with this post! Matched my thinking 100%) Any chance to get the feedback from creators of this Q? Bunuel

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. The argument NEVER states that the business is matching the prices of the competing orchard.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Molson '19
GMAT Date: 12-06-2014
Send PM
Kudos
CorporateFinancier wrote:
82vkgmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Any thoughts?

Fully agree with this post! Matched my thinking 100%) Any chance to get the feedback from creators of this Q? Bunuel

Thanks!

i thought the same and marked B .. Can someone explain this ?

E-gmat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)
Send PM
Hi Expert,

Though i marked the correct option choice, but i understand that question stem is incorrect.

As per option D, the small orchard will be able to attract the customers. Therefore the plan is effective in attracting the customers.

The question stem should be "Which of the following, if true, points to the most serious flaw of the small orchard's plan to attract business by matching the prices of the competing orchard?"

" to attract business " should be deleted from the question stem. Option D states that following the plan would be detrimental for the business of small orchard.

Secondly the argument states that size of neighboring orchard is three times the size of small orchard. The explanation incorrectly infers that large orchard has three time the inventory of small orchard.

Experts kindly comment.

Thanks
Sahil
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
Hi Expert,

Though i marked the correct option choice, but i understand that question stem is incorrect.

As per option D, the small orchard will be able to attract the customers. Therefore the plan is effective in attracting the customers.

The question stem should be "Which of the following, if true, points to the most serious flaw of the small orchard's plan to attract business by matching the prices of the competing orchard?"

" to attract business " should be deleted from the question stem. Option D states that following the plan would be detrimental for the business of small orchard.

Secondly the argument states that size of neighboring orchard is three times the size of small orchard. The explanation incorrectly infers that large orchard has three time the inventory of small orchard.

Experts kindly comment.

Thanks
Sahil

Thank you for your points. Certain ambiguous wording and answer choices have been modified accordingly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This is a really interesting question indeed. A and B are OFS clearly.
Now, all ideas of C,D,E are not wrong. Nevertheless, E is an inference, C is unethical solution, but D is the flaw of the plan. As a test taker, it is hard to distinguish which one should be the answer.
Perhaps, applying techniques of Kaplan, ones can find some connections with the inventory, and pick D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A small orchard specializing in citrus fruits has been [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 266
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Still, I do not understand, why is Option D correct? How does it create the flaw to the small orchard'plan. It is just strengthening the large orchad's plan. Please elaborate.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
This question has been retired and removed from Tests' database.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts