GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

V30-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 05:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:02) correct 60% (00:17) wrong based on 20 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The existence of West Berlin, a conspicuously capitalist city deep within communist East Germany, "stuck like a bone in the Soviet throat," as Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev put it. The Russians began maneuvering to drive the United States, Britain and France out of the city for good. In 1948, a Soviet blockade of West Berlin aimed to starve the western Allies out of the city. Instead of retreating, however, the United States and its allies supplied their sectors of the city from the air. This effort, known as the Berlin Airlift, lasted for more than a year and delivered more than 2.3 million tons of food, fuel and other goods to West Berlin. The Soviets called off the blockade in 1949. After a decade of relative calm, tensions flared again in 1958. For the next three years, the Soviets emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers) blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted. Summits, conferences and other negotiations came and went without resolution. Meanwhile, the flood of refugees continued. In June 1961, some 19,000 people left the GDR through Berlin. The following month, 30,000 fled. In the first 11 days of August, 16,000 East Germans crossed the border into West Berlin, and on August 12 some 2,400 followed the largest number of defectors ever to leave East Germany in a single day.

The author would most likely agree with which of the following?

A. The Berlin Airlift ensured a decade of relative calm from 1949 to 1958
B. The Soviets were embarrassed because despite their technological successes, people were fleeting in large numbers
C. East Germans were emboldened to leave for the West in large numbers because there were no significant blockades
D. The decade following the blockade was calm because of technological innovations by the Soviets
E. The majority of defectors who left East Germany in the decade after the blockade were young skilled workers

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 05:07
Official Solution:

The existence of West Berlin, a conspicuously capitalist city deep within communist East Germany, "stuck like a bone in the Soviet throat," as Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev put it. The Russians began maneuvering to drive the United States, Britain and France out of the city for good. In 1948, a Soviet blockade of West Berlin aimed to starve the western Allies out of the city. Instead of retreating, however, the United States and its allies supplied their sectors of the city from the air. This effort, known as the Berlin Airlift, lasted for more than a year and delivered more than 2.3 million tons of food, fuel and other goods to West Berlin. The Soviets called off the blockade in 1949. After a decade of relative calm, tensions flared again in 1958. For the next three years, the Soviets emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers) blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted. Summits, conferences and other negotiations came and went without resolution. Meanwhile, the flood of refugees continued. In June 1961, some 19,000 people left the GDR through Berlin. The following month, 30,000 fled. In the first 11 days of August, 16,000 East Germans crossed the border into West Berlin, and on August 12 some 2,400 followed the largest number of defectors ever to leave East Germany in a single day.

B. The Soviets were embarrassed because despite their technological successes, people were fleeting in large numbers
C. East Germans were emboldened to leave for the West in large numbers because there were no significant blockades
D. The decade following the blockade was calm because of technological innovations by the Soviets
E. The majority of defectors who left East Germany in the decade after the blockade were young skilled workers

For the next three years, the Soviets-emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers)-blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted The passage infers that the numbers in which people were fleeing were embarrassing to the Soviets despite their continuous innovation in science and technology.

Answer: B

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V39
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 06:30
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 09:56
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I was stuck between B and C. Just because a nation launches a satellite into space doesn't mean that people want to live in this country. Hence, I wasn't really sure whether the correlation mentioned in B makes sense.

C is not explicitly stated but the mention that three mio. people fled after the end of the blockage indicates that there weren't any major blockades anymore and that this might be a reason for the high number of refugees.

Can somebody please shed light on this issue?

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 05:54
I wish to know why E is incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 08:23
imran1994 wrote:
I wish to know why E is incorrect

Paragraph uses the sentence -

"nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, [color=#ed1c24]many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers"[/color]

so many of the people moving to West Berlin were young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers but not the majority as mentioned in Choice E.

Hope this helps!!

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 00:00
souvik101990 Why don't we select E. Isn't ''Many of them''=''Majority''??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 00:24
psych77 wrote:
souvik101990 Why don't we select E. Isn't ''Many of them''=''Majority''??

psych77

Pl see reply above :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/v30-263448.html#p2117150

Hope this helps!!

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 06:32
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

For the next three years, the Soviets-emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers)-blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted The passage infers that the numbers in which people were fleeing were embarrassing to the Soviets despite their continuous innovation in science and technology.

Answer: B

Can anyone explain the causal relationship between technological success and people fleeing in large numbers? It is difficult to infer the causal relationship. However it can be correctly inferred that both these events happened and had an effect on the Soviets.
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
Re V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 07:14
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I think Many of them = Majority as both will mean more than 50%
GMAT Club Bot
Re V30-03 &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 07:14

V30-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap