GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V30-03

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4281
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 06:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:01) correct 58% (01:07) wrong based on 12 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The existence of West Berlin, a conspicuously capitalist city deep within communist East Germany, "stuck like a bone in the Soviet throat," as Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev put it. The Russians began maneuvering to drive the United States, Britain and France out of the city for good. In 1948, a Soviet blockade of West Berlin aimed to starve the western Allies out of the city. Instead of retreating, however, the United States and its allies supplied their sectors of the city from the air. This effort, known as the Berlin Airlift, lasted for more than a year and delivered more than 2.3 million tons of food, fuel and other goods to West Berlin. The Soviets called off the blockade in 1949. After a decade of relative calm, tensions flared again in 1958. For the next three years, the Soviets emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers) blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted. Summits, conferences and other negotiations came and went without resolution. Meanwhile, the flood of refugees continued. In June 1961, some 19,000 people left the GDR through Berlin. The following month, 30,000 fled. In the first 11 days of August, 16,000 East Germans crossed the border into West Berlin, and on August 12 some 2,400 followed the largest number of defectors ever to leave East Germany in a single day.

The author would most likely agree with which of the following?

A. The Berlin Airlift ensured a decade of relative calm from 1949 to 1958
B. The Soviets were embarrassed because despite their technological successes, people were fleeting in large numbers
C. East Germans were emboldened to leave for the West in large numbers because there were no significant blockades
D. The decade following the blockade was calm because of technological innovations by the Soviets
E. The majority of defectors who left East Germany in the decade after the blockade were young skilled workers

_________________
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4281
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 06:07
Official Solution:

The existence of West Berlin, a conspicuously capitalist city deep within communist East Germany, "stuck like a bone in the Soviet throat," as Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev put it. The Russians began maneuvering to drive the United States, Britain and France out of the city for good. In 1948, a Soviet blockade of West Berlin aimed to starve the western Allies out of the city. Instead of retreating, however, the United States and its allies supplied their sectors of the city from the air. This effort, known as the Berlin Airlift, lasted for more than a year and delivered more than 2.3 million tons of food, fuel and other goods to West Berlin. The Soviets called off the blockade in 1949. After a decade of relative calm, tensions flared again in 1958. For the next three years, the Soviets emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers) blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted. Summits, conferences and other negotiations came and went without resolution. Meanwhile, the flood of refugees continued. In June 1961, some 19,000 people left the GDR through Berlin. The following month, 30,000 fled. In the first 11 days of August, 16,000 East Germans crossed the border into West Berlin, and on August 12 some 2,400 followed the largest number of defectors ever to leave East Germany in a single day.

The author would most likely agree with which of the following?

A. The Berlin Airlift ensured a decade of relative calm from 1949 to 1958
B. The Soviets were embarrassed because despite their technological successes, people were fleeting in large numbers
C. East Germans were emboldened to leave for the West in large numbers because there were no significant blockades
D. The decade following the blockade was calm because of technological innovations by the Soviets
E. The majority of defectors who left East Germany in the decade after the blockade were young skilled workers

For the next three years, the Soviets-emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers)-blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted The passage infers that the numbers in which people were fleeing were embarrassing to the Soviets despite their continuous innovation in science and technology.

Answer: B
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 12
Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 07:30
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2017
Posts: 235
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 10:56
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I was stuck between B and C. Just because a nation launches a satellite into space doesn't mean that people want to live in this country. Hence, I wasn't really sure whether the correlation mentioned in B makes sense.

C is not explicitly stated but the mention that three mio. people fled after the end of the blockage indicates that there weren't any major blockades anymore and that this might be a reason for the high number of refugees.

Can somebody please shed light on this issue?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GPA: 3.4
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 06:54
I wish to know why E is incorrect
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 542
Location: France
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Consulting (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 09:23
imran1994 wrote:
I wish to know why E is incorrect


Paragraph uses the sentence -

"nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, [color=#ed1c24]many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers"[/color]

so many of the people moving to West Berlin were young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers but not the majority as mentioned in Choice E.

Hope this helps!!
_________________
Everything will fall into place…

There is perfect timing for
everything and everyone.
Never doubt, But Work on
improving yourself,
Keep the faith and
Stay ready. When it’s
finally your turn,
It will all make sense.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 01:00
souvik101990 Why don't we select E. Isn't ''Many of them''=''Majority''??
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 542
Location: France
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Consulting (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 01:24
psych77 wrote:
souvik101990 Why don't we select E. Isn't ''Many of them''=''Majority''??


psych77

Pl see reply above :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/v30-263448.html#p2117150

Hope this helps!!
_________________
Everything will fall into place…

There is perfect timing for
everything and everyone.
Never doubt, But Work on
improving yourself,
Keep the faith and
Stay ready. When it’s
finally your turn,
It will all make sense.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 07:32
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

The existence of West Berlin, a conspicuously capitalist city deep within communist East Germany, "stuck like a bone in the Soviet throat," as Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev put it. The Russians began maneuvering to drive the United States, Britain and France out of the city for good. In 1948, a Soviet blockade of West Berlin aimed to starve the western Allies out of the city. Instead of retreating, however, the United States and its allies supplied their sectors of the city from the air. This effort, known as the Berlin Airlift, lasted for more than a year and delivered more than 2.3 million tons of food, fuel and other goods to West Berlin. The Soviets called off the blockade in 1949. After a decade of relative calm, tensions flared again in 1958. For the next three years, the Soviets emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers) blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted. Summits, conferences and other negotiations came and went without resolution. Meanwhile, the flood of refugees continued. In June 1961, some 19,000 people left the GDR through Berlin. The following month, 30,000 fled. In the first 11 days of August, 16,000 East Germans crossed the border into West Berlin, and on August 12 some 2,400 followed the largest number of defectors ever to leave East Germany in a single day.

The author would most likely agree with which of the following?

A. The Berlin Airlift ensured a decade of relative calm from 1949 to 1958
B. The Soviets were embarrassed because despite their technological successes, people were fleeting in large numbers
C. East Germans were emboldened to leave for the West in large numbers because there were no significant blockades
D. The decade following the blockade was calm because of technological innovations by the Soviets
E. The majority of defectors who left East Germany in the decade after the blockade were young skilled workers

For the next three years, the Soviets-emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers)-blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted The passage infers that the numbers in which people were fleeing were embarrassing to the Soviets despite their continuous innovation in science and technology.

Answer: B


Can anyone explain the causal relationship between technological success and people fleeing in large numbers? It is difficult to infer the causal relationship. However it can be correctly inferred that both these events happened and had an effect on the Soviets.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Re V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 08:14
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I think Many of them = Majority as both will mean more than 50%
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Status: Manager
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Posts: 759
Location: Egypt
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2019, 07:19
I think the question is not good.

for example,
A is wrong because we can't assume a link between the Airlift and the following relative calm
E is wrong because we can't assume that "many" means more than 50% "majority.

Why B is right? Why, here, we are allowed to assume a link between the technological success and being embarrassed?
Why not because of something else such as the large number of fleeing people, or the failure although the decade of blockage?
souvik101990 wrote:
The existence of West Berlin, a conspicuously capitalist city deep within communist East Germany, "stuck like a bone in the Soviet throat," as Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev put it. The Russians began maneuvering to drive the United States, Britain and France out of the city for good. In 1948, a Soviet blockade of West Berlin aimed to starve the western Allies out of the city. Instead of retreating, however, the United States and its allies supplied their sectors of the city from the air. This effort, known as the Berlin Airlift, lasted for more than a year and delivered more than 2.3 million tons of food, fuel and other goods to West Berlin. The Soviets called off the blockade in 1949. After a decade of relative calm, tensions flared again in 1958. For the next three years, the Soviets emboldened by the successful launch of the Sputnik satellite the year before and embarrassed by the seemingly endless flow of refugees from east to west (nearly 3 million in the decade since the end of the blockade, many of them young skilled workers such as doctors, teachers and engineers) blustered and made threats, while the Allies resisted. Summits, conferences and other negotiations came and went without resolution. Meanwhile, the flood of refugees continued. In June 1961, some 19,000 people left the GDR through Berlin. The following month, 30,000 fled. In the first 11 days of August, 16,000 East Germans crossed the border into West Berlin, and on August 12 some 2,400 followed the largest number of defectors ever to leave East Germany in a single day.

The author would most likely agree with which of the following?

A. The Berlin Airlift ensured a decade of relative calm from 1949 to 1958
B. The Soviets were embarrassed because despite their technological successes, people were fleeting in large numbers
C. East Germans were emboldened to leave for the West in large numbers because there were no significant blockades
D. The decade following the blockade was calm because of technological innovations by the Soviets
E. The majority of defectors who left East Germany in the decade after the blockade were young skilled workers
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 11
CAT Tests
V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 07:07
HI link does not show any answer about it. Could you kindly explain the difference bewteen the many and majority? Please !! Thank you.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18521
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: V30-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 21:25
milkybar wrote:
HI link does not show any answer about it. Could you kindly explain the difference bewteen the many and majority? Please !! Thank you.


I am not sure what link does not show any answer about what.
But you can see a few posts above your post, there is a specific explanation for why answer choice E is wrong:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/v30-263448.html#p2117150
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V30-03   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2019, 21:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

V30-03

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne