GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V31-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V31-02  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 08:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (01:38) correct 25% (01:37) wrong based on 4 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Water monitoring systems used to test stream water for pollutants in Dinsdale County have been found to be less effective than had been hoped. To remedy this situation, the county commissioner has issued a directive that requires any town in Dinsdale County that wants to monitor its streams to use a new system that provides more accurate information. Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that the county commissioner's directive will fail to achieve the desired results?

A. The cost of the new monitoring system is more than can be afforded by almost all the towns within Dinsdale County.
B. The new monitoring system is only about 15% more accurate than the old one.
C. The pollution in the streams in Dinsdale County has significantly decreased since the monitoring system was put in place three years ago.
D. Because of water runoff from several large factories, Dinsdale County has more pollution in its streams than any other county in the state.
E. Replacing the old monitoring system requires positioning the new monitors in areas that are closer to parks.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V31-02  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 08:26
Official Solution:

Water monitoring systems used to test stream water for pollutants in Dinsdale County have been found to be less effective than had been hoped. To remedy this situation, the county commissioner has issued a directive that requires any town in Dinsdale County that wants to monitor its streams to use a new system that provides more accurate information. Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that the county commissioner's directive will fail to achieve the desired results?

A. The cost of the new monitoring system is more than can be afforded by almost all the towns within Dinsdale County.
B. The new monitoring system is only about 15% more accurate than the old one.
C. The pollution in the streams in Dinsdale County has significantly decreased since the monitoring system was put in place three years ago.
D. Because of water runoff from several large factories, Dinsdale County has more pollution in its streams than any other county in the state.
E. Replacing the old monitoring system requires positioning the new monitors in areas that are closer to parks.

CR Box: Weaken

1) BID (Boil It Down) The new monitoring system will work better and can be properly implemented

2) Destroy the underlying reasoning Undercut the county commissioner's directive (the new system does not work better, or can not be readily implemented)

Choice A is correct. If the new monitoring system is not affordable, then no monitoring will take place, leading to a worse situation than before, when the older (imperfect) system was used. The desired result - better monitoring - will not be achieved, weakening the commissioner's conclusion.

Choice B tells us that the new system is not an enormous improvement, but it still is an improvement, so this will not hurt the commissioner's argument. It strengthens it.

Choice C gives us background information that does not directly impact the argument. The water situation might have improved because of the old monitoring situation (or not), but that has no bearing on whether the new system will lead to a superior outcome.

Choice D provides an irrelevant comparison. This comparison does not affect the commissioner's conclusion at all.

Choice E gives us some information about the two systems, but this particular fact - the new monitors will be closer to parks - does not directly weaken the conclusion. Will the new positions lead to less accurate monitoring? Maybe, maybe not.

Answer: A

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Bot
Re V31-02 &nbs [#permalink] 23 Apr 2018, 08:26

V31-02

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap