GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton EMBA (Philly/SF) 2019 Intake: Calling all Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton Exec '21
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.95
WE: General Management (Other)
Re: Wharton EMBA (Philly/SF) 2019 Intake: Calling all Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 07:24
sankar769 wrote:
@kylebecker

I am considering applying for the SF program for round 2. I have a little under 8 years of FT work experience and they want your company to financially support your MBA if that is the case.

Question to everyone:
Would it be useful to do this EMBA program if you have under 8 years experience? It seems as if the class profile has an average of 10-12 years exp. I am also looking for a career switch from Biotech R&D to Business development/product development, does this program include enough coursework and networking/alumni support for such a career switch?

I cannot give you a definitive answer, but the admissions department is very open and helpful. If your resume is updated, they will chat with you and answer any questions you have.

Based on the conversations that I've had, 8 years is probably okay, but obviously career progression is a factor. On the GMAT they focus heavily on the quant and IR scores; my guess is a 50 or 51 is needed on quant.
Executive MBA Thread Master
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 07:46
kylebecker9 wrote:
sankar769 wrote:
@kylebecker

I am considering applying for the SF program for round 2. I have a little under 8 years of FT work experience and they want your company to financially support your MBA if that is the case.

Question to everyone:
Would it be useful to do this EMBA program if you have under 8 years experience? It seems as if the class profile has an average of 10-12 years exp. I am also looking for a career switch from Biotech R&D to Business development/product development, does this program include enough coursework and networking/alumni support for such a career switch?

I cannot give you a definitive answer, but the admissions department is very open and helpful. If your resume is updated, they will chat with you and answer any questions you have.

Based on the conversations that I've had, 8 years is probably okay, but obviously career progression is a factor. On the GMAT they focus heavily on the quant and IR scores; my guess is a 50 or 51 is needed on quant.

GMAT is less of a concern at the EMBA level than it is in the FT program, especially if you work (or have worked) in a quantitative role. I had my phone chat a few months ago and asked about my 48Q (then a 74%ile score, now a 67%ile score - 70%ile seems to be the common threshold) and they explained exactly this. Fortunately, I work in M&A, am a CFA charterholder, and aced my undergrad quant courses (for what that's worth). The reason I scored lower on quant was because I aimed lower, recognizing it was easier to get my overall score up by focusing on boosting my V score.

But as the last poster mentioned, I would schedule a phone chat and discuss it. They are very helpful. There seems to be significantly more transparency in admissions to the EMBA program (when compared to the typical FTMBA programs). They'd be happy to provide you with some input. In fact, you can also consider e-mailing (this is what I did initially). They respond quickly. I would caution, however, that if you plan to apply this season, be sure that your resume is in application-ready shape as I was told they don't like to see material changes from the phone chat submission to the application resume.

At <8 years experience, you'd be considered a Fellows applicant and they'd like to see full company sponsorship (indicating a significant investment in you as a future senior management candidate, which signals to Wharton that you'd be a valuable contributor to the EMBA community). For this reason, they wouldn't support you in a career switch the way it seems you want. For Traditional applicants, there is a strong career advisory presence for those that need it. If you explain to them exactly what you explained to us, I suspect they'd direct you to applying to the FT program. But that's just an uneducated guess.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 07:54
cgottuso wrote:
kylebecker9 wrote:
sankar769 wrote:
@kylebecker

Question to everyone:

GMAT is less of a concern at the EMBA level than it is in the FT program, especially if you work (or have worked) in a quantitative role. I had my phone chat a few months ago and asked about my 48Q (then a 74%ile score, now a 67%ile score - 70%ile seems to be the common threshold) and they explained exactly this. Fortunately, I work in M&A, am a CFA charterholder, and aced my undergrad quant courses (for what that's worth). The reason I scored lower on quant was because I aimed lower, recognizing it was easier to get my overall score up by focusing on boosting my V score.

But as the last poster mentioned, I would schedule a phone chat and discuss it. They are very helpful. There seems to be significantly more transparency in admissions to the EMBA program (when compared to the typical FTMBA programs). They'd be happy to provide you with some input. In fact, you can also consider e-mailing (this is what I did initially). They respond quickly. I would caution, however, that if you plan to apply this season, be sure that your resume is in application-ready shape as I was told they don't like to see material changes from the phone chat submission to the application resume.

At <8 years experience, you'd be considered a Fellows applicant and they'd like to see full company sponsorship (indicating a significant investment in you as a future senior management candidate, which signals to Wharton that you'd be a valuable contributor to the EMBA community). For this reason, they wouldn't support you in a career switch the way it seems you want. For Traditional applicants, there is a strong career advisory presence for those that need it. If you explain to them exactly what you explained to us, I suspect they'd direct you to applying to the FT program. But that's just an uneducated guess.

Good to know. Are you applying in Philly or SF? Hopefully we will be meeting in person week 1!
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 09:29
kylebecker9 wrote:

Good to know. Are you applying in Philly or SF? Hopefully we will be meeting in person week 1!

I'm a Philly applicant as I'm ~6 miles from the campus. Are you in for SF? I noticed the "(S)" in your post profile - have you already submitted?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 09:41
cgottuso wrote:
kylebecker9 wrote:

I'm a Philly applicant as I'm ~6 miles from the campus. Are you in for SF? I noticed the "(S)" in your post profile - have you already submitted?

Makes sense. Yeah, I'm over on the west coast, so SF is a much easier commute. I have not submitted--I'm taking the GMAT on 12/10, so planning to apply round 2.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 10:30
Anyone going to the orientation tomorrow at Philly? I’m planning on being there. Hopefully I get to meet some of you.

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 10:44
Sansreddy wrote:
Anyone going to the orientation tomorrow at Philly? I’m planning on being there. Hopefully I get to meet some of you.

I am not - I went to one in October. They're very informative sessions with a lot of opportunity for networking among other prospectives and the AdCom. I should mention that I left that session feeling VERY inadequate as I compared myself to the other prospectives that I met. I took solace in thinking that (1) not all will be applying this year or even to Philly, and (2) everyone is sure to cast their highlight reel at these things (and I'm comparing that to my perceived shortcomings).
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 10:08
cgottuso wrote:
kylebecker9 wrote:
sankar769 wrote:
@kylebecker

Question to everyone:

Thanks for the response. Yes, I had a phone chat with an admissions committee member based in Philly about this a couple of months ago. She mentioned that there were plenty of resources available for people looking for a career switch and that they can help with job search or internships to facilitate a switch. It seemed as if a switch can be done with the EMBA program but obviously depends on each specific case.

I’m applying for the SF program, will likely apply for Round 2, still working on getting the company sponsorship as I’m a fellows applicant. I’m not super concerned about the GMAT score for the reasons you specifically mentioned. I have a 48Q score too and have 2 engineering degrees- so have had my fair share of quant heavy courses.
I’ll probably schedule an interview in the upcoming weeks to learn more. Hope to meet some SF applicants here.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.87
WE: Business Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 18:37
Just submitted for R1, Philly. Keep my fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 19:44
Good luck.

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Wharton EMBA (Philly/SF) 2019 Intake: Calling all Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 01:00
Some really fruitful discussion happening here. Here I've compiled all important posts/comments about EMBA applications made so far in this thread as I intend to feature it in our weekly newsletter which get published every Thursday.

Importance of GMAT in EMBA Apps

Work Experience and Career Prospects after EMBA

• Quote:
  • I had a phone chat with an admissions committee member based in Philly about this a couple of months ago. She mentioned that there were plenty of resources available for people looking for a career switch and that they can help with job search or internships to facilitate a switch. It seemed as if a switch can be done with the EMBA program but obviously depends on each specific case.

Admission Interview

You need to set up your own interview - it is required as part of the application. Before doing so, you're advised to set up a 15-minute "phone chat" with someone from admissions. During that discussion, you can ask questions about your candidacy or the program. I've found admissions to be more of an open book when compared to the admissions team for the full-time program. The whole phone chat and interview process is very casual. It's much more conversational than the full-time interview process (and obviously lacks the TBD aspect).

I'd advise you to make sure your resume is "bschool-ready" because you're required to submit it when setting up your phone chat and you don't want to submit a different one with your application.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

B
Wharton EMBA (Philly/SF) 2019 Intake: Calling all Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 05:36
yhu08902 wrote:
Just submitted for R1, Philly. Keep my fingers crossed!

Good luck - stay in touch on here as you agonize over it every day until the decision!

I'm submitting for Philly tonight.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.87
WE: Business Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 14:42
Good luck to you too!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 15:44
Submitted for SF yesterday.

Good luck everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wharton EMBA (Philly/SF) 2019 Intake: Calling all Applicants! &nbs [#permalink] 06 Dec 2018, 15:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Wharton EMBA (Philly/SF) 2019 Intake: Calling all Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: gmatexam439, rohan2345

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap