GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton vs MIT Sloan ($) for consulting/corp strategy?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school to enroll?

• 36% [17]
  • 63% [29]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Wharton vs MIT Sloan ($) for consulting/corp strategy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jan 2015, 08:00
Hello all,

I received offers from wharton (no $) and sloan (w/ 30k), and would love to hear your advice on which school better fits my career goals.

Here's my profile:
- 26, female
- 4 years work experience, business analytics function in a F500 company

Post MBA goal:
- internal strategic planning in tech/consumer products/retail
- or consulting (hopefully in one of the big 3)
- hope to base in NYC/SF

My first choice was Wharton, but sloan's fellowship and more research started making this a hard decision. I have already contacted Wharton to match sloan's offer, but didn't get it. I know in a long run, $30k is probably negligible. Also, I have visited both schools and talked to my friends in both schools. People/environment wise, I think I will be happy in either school.

Which school would you choose? Any insight/comment is greatly appreciated! Would love to hear your thoughts on strategic planning and consulting opportunities, long-term network or any general school pros/cons? Thank you so much for your help!!

Originally posted by aiyowei47 on 22 Jan 2015, 13:21.
Last edited by aiyowei47 on 28 Jan 2015, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Wharton vs MIT Sloan ($) for consulting/corp strategy?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 06:20
In terms of recruiting, this is a wash. You'll have access to all the recruiters you want from both schools, especially MBB.

In terms of brand, both are incredibly strong. Wharton is stronger in finance circles and Sloan is stronger in tech circles. My guess would be MIT as a whole has a slightly stronger network in SF and vice versa for Penn in NYC. In all likelihood, once you get a few years out (especially if you land a job at MBB), your performance and post-MBA network will matter more than whether you went to Sloan or Wharton.

If I were you, I would be making my decision based on the type of experience you want to have in business school. Sloan only has ~400 students per class, versus the ~850-900 of Wharton. I would expect that Wharton wouldn't be as tight-knit or that it wouldn't feel like as much of a community, but I encourage you to stress test that with both schools. For what it's worth, last year we had someone turn down a full ride to Wharton to come to Sloan.

I likewise came into business school wanting to do consulting and fulfilled that objective. If I were in your shoes, I would choose Sloan (but obviously I am biased as I never applied to Wharton :)).
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Sales (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 09:23
30k isn't a whole lot in the general scheme of things here - if it were a full ride the choice would be obvious. The schools are very very close to one another with Wharton having the slight edge. Given you're into tech however, that edge is lost IMO and they balance out. Having the ability to tell recruiters you went there after being offered a scholarship might be worth something...?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 09:38
Thank you, kingfalcon!

I totally feel the same that sloanies share a stronger bond. But on the other side, the bigger size of wharton means larger network and alum base..

in fact, my boyfriend is a sloanie and I'm also debating if I should join him at sloan, or we should double our network and i should choose wharton.. your thoughts?

kingfalcon wrote:
In terms of recruiting, this is a wash. You'll have access to all the recruiters you want from both schools, especially MBB.

In terms of brand, both are incredibly strong. Wharton is stronger in finance circles and Sloan is stronger in tech circles. My guess would be MIT as a whole has a slightly stronger network in SF and vice versa for Penn in NYC. In all likelihood, once you get a few years out (especially if you land a job at MBB), your performance and post-MBA network will matter more than whether you went to Sloan or Wharton.

If I were you, I would be making my decision based on the type of experience you want to have in business school. Sloan only has ~400 students per class, versus the ~850-900 of Wharton. I would expect that Wharton wouldn't be as tight-knit or that it wouldn't feel like as much of a community, but I encourage you to stress test that with both schools. For what it's worth, last year we had someone turn down a full ride to Wharton to come to Sloan.

I likewise came into business school wanting to do consulting and fulfilled that objective. If I were in your shoes, I would choose Sloan (but obviously I am biased as I never applied to Wharton :)).
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 16:01
That's hard to say. There is certainly value in having two networks, but it wouldn't sway me enough to choose one school over the other. After all, two years is a long time and you definitely want to be around people you like. Is your boyfriend currently at Sloan? If so, if I were in your shoes I'd think about whether you want to do the long-distance thing. If not, then he should be able to give you really good insights into the good and the bad of the program.

Hope that helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 18:59
aiyowei47 wrote:
My first choice was Wharton, but sloan's fellowship and more research started making this a hard decision. I have already contacted Wharton to match sloan's offer, but didn't get it. I know in a long run, $30k is probably negligible. Also, I have visited both schools and talked to my friends in both schools. People/environment wise, I think I will be happy in either school.

Which school would you choose? Any reasoning/comment is greatly appreciated! Would love to hear your thoughts on strategic planning and consulting opportunities, long-term network or any general school pros/cons? Thank you so much for your help!!

I recommend watching a TED video by Ruth Chang "How to make hard Choices" It will give you a new perspective on how to decide.

If you visited the schools and truly think they are both equally likable, go to Wharton. You will have a better alumni network, and will have better recruiting opportunities, though slight.

However, I think if you really think deeply about it you will like one better than the other. Don't think about rankings or other noise. Just think about the environment/culture you felt while you were at school.

Both solid choices. Congrats!

Kudos!/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 04:19
Thanks for the ted talk suggestion!
Hope to find out more via admit weekend. Will post my decision here.

dontquixote wrote:
aiyowei47 wrote:

Which school would you choose? Any reasoning/comment is greatly appreciated! Would love to hear your thoughts on strategic planning and consulting opportunities, long-term network or any general school pros/cons? Thank you so much for your help!!

I recommend watching a TED video by Ruth Chang "How to make hard Choices" It will give you a new perspective on how to decide.

If you visited the schools and truly think they are both equally likable, go to Wharton. You will have a better alumni network, and will have better recruiting opportunities, though slight.

However, I think if you really think deeply about it you will like one better than the other. Don't think about rankings or other noise. Just think about the environment/culture you felt while you were at school.

Both solid choices. Congrats!

Kudos!/
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 07:47
Would love to ask for more input from people who would choose MIT Sloan over Wharton? Thank you!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 17:24
aiyowei47 wrote:
Would love to ask for more input from people who would choose MIT Sloan over Wharton? Thank you!!

Congrats on both! I would pick Sloan for two reasons. First, you can say you went on scholarship when recruiting. That may boost your favorability somewhat. And second, I personally much prefer Boston to Philly.

My $0.02, but you can't really go wrong either way.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wharton vs MIT Sloan ($) for consulting/corp strategy?   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2015, 17:24

Wharton vs MIT Sloan ($) for consulting/corp strategy?

new topic post reply Update application status