It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances of getting into ISB?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 01:01
I have scheduled my GMAT appointment in May,2018.

My profile
Xth- 90.1
XIIth- 90.1
B.tech - 6.34 CGPA
Work ex- 2.8 yrs ERICSSON
Left the job.
Gap - 3 years (including 2018)

What should be my ideal GMAT score to secure an admit?

Kindly guide me guys.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 92

Kudos [?]: 220 [2], given: 14

Schools: ISB '17 (A), IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 01:25
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Ishwar,

Getting into ISB is very subjective. This is one institute which puts importance on each aspect of your profile. Everything such as GMAT score, essays, interview, education, work ex is treated and scored separately. This ensures that if you score low on one point, you can balance it on another point.

My case - I had a low GMAT score but had close to 8 years work ex and they really liked my essays and interview. Hope you get the point.

This means that with the low years of work experience and employment gap you have, you need to score higher on other points such as GMAT score (700+), essays and interview. Be prepared to explain a lot what you have been doing during the employment gap. You will have to justify it very strongly.

Hope it helped.
_________________

Sometimes standing still can be, the best move you ever make......

Kudos [?]: 220 [2], given: 14

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 01:33
aadikamagic wrote:
Hi Ishwar,

Getting into ISB is very subjective. This is one institute which puts importance on each aspect of your profile. Everything such as GMAT score, essays, interview, education, work ex is treated and scored separately. This ensures that if you score low on one point, you can balance it on another point.

My case - I had a low GMAT score but had close to 8 years work ex and they really liked my essays and interview. Hope you get the point.

This means that with the low years of work experience and employment gap you have, you need to score higher on other points such as GMAT score (700+), essays and interview. Be prepared to explain a lot what you have been doing during the employment gap. You will have to justify it very strongly.

Hope it helped.


Hi aadikamagic,



I worked at various locations like Kolkata, Noida and Mumbai in that span.
I wasn't really comfortable with the team that I was working with.
I resigned the job on my own accord.

I have nothing much to say about the employment gap as I took it for personal reasons.
Can you suggest a prep plan for GMAT starting from now?
The MUST have material, mock test sources, etc.,

Thanks for replying. Can you share your ISB and IIM-C success story, here?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

INSEAD Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 02 Aug 2017
Posts: 125

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Education)
Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 01:47
Ishwar wrote:
I have scheduled my GMAT appointment in May,2018.

My profile
Xth- 90.1
XIIth- 90.1
B.tech - 6.34 CGPA
Work ex- 2.8 yrs ERICSSON
Left the job.
Gap - 3 years (including 2018)

What should be my ideal GMAT score to secure an admit?

Kindly guide me guys.


It doesn't work that way. You will obviously be giving your best for the GMAT right? I mean you will be studying to get a score as high as possible. Hence the question of what an ideal score you should target is redundant.
Focus on getting the highest score you can, and then get your profile evaluated.

Additionally, GMAT score only takes care of the Academic section of ISB, you still have 2 other sections to shine in :)
_________________

One day, all kids will have access to an excellent education

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 01:51
Abhishank wrote:
Ishwar wrote:
I have scheduled my GMAT appointment in May,2018.

My profile
Xth- 90.1
XIIth- 90.1
B.tech - 6.34 CGPA
Work ex- 2.8 yrs ERICSSON
Left the job.
Gap - 3 years (including 2018)

What should be my ideal GMAT score to secure an admit?

Kindly guide me guys.


It doesn't work that way. You will obviously be giving your best for the GMAT right? I mean you will be studying to get a score as high as possible. Hence the question of what an ideal score you should target is redundant.
Focus on getting the highest score you can, and then get your profile evaluated.

Additionally, GMAT score only takes care of the Academic section of ISB, you still have 2 other sections to shine in :)


Yeah, that was obvious. I sounded like Alan :lol:
But the thing is there are road blocks bothering me on my profile that would hinder my chances of an ISB admit :(

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1045

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 54

What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 02:25
If you have an employment gap of three straight years, then that would be the biggest concern for the adcom. I didnt quite get the picture straight, so do explain further.

Abhishank, there is an obsession among applicants to find out what GMAT score to target. I totally agree with you that applicants should aim for their best scores. At the same time, they should be cognizant of ISB's class average GMAT and try to score above that.
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE


Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 54

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 92

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 14

Schools: ISB '17 (A), IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 02:41
Ishwar wrote:
aadikamagic wrote:
Hi Ishwar,

Getting into ISB is very subjective. This is one institute which puts importance on each aspect of your profile. Everything such as GMAT score, essays, interview, education, work ex is treated and scored separately. This ensures that if you score low on one point, you can balance it on another point.

My case - I had a low GMAT score but had close to 8 years work ex and they really liked my essays and interview. Hope you get the point.

This means that with the low years of work experience and employment gap you have, you need to score higher on other points such as GMAT score (700+), essays and interview. Be prepared to explain a lot what you have been doing during the employment gap. You will have to justify it very strongly.

Hope it helped.


Hi aadikamagic,



I worked at various locations like Kolkata, Noida and Mumbai in that span.
I wasn't really comfortable with the team that I was working with.
I resigned the job on my own accord.

I have nothing much to say about the employment gap as I took it for personal reasons.
Can you suggest a prep plan for GMAT starting from now?
The MUST have material, mock test sources, etc.,

Thanks for replying. Can you share your ISB and IIM-C success story, here?


Well, my story is that I had good number of years of experience and i took a lot of time in writing my essays and preparing for interviews. I did not take any external help though. I think if you can justify in your essays why you need an MBA and how you will contribute to the school and plus, you are clear about your future, the chances of getting selected increase.

For preperation, i bought few books and got free tests along with them. Best way to prepare for GMAT is to give tests and review them and work on weak areas. Again, I could never get me head around the english part hence my score was not very good.

good Luck!!
_________________

Sometimes standing still can be, the best move you ever make......

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 03:00
MBADecoder wrote:
If you have an employment gap of three straight years, then that would be the biggest concern for the adcom. I didnt quite get the picture straight, so do explain further.

Abhishank, there is an obsession among applicants to find out what GMAT score to target. I totally agree with you that applicants should aim for their best scores. At the same time, they should be cognizant of ISB's class average GMAT and try to score above that.


I resigned my job on my own accord for pursuing my higher education and due to personal reasons I failed to secure a B school admit :sad:
One thing led to another and here I'm with a gap of 3 years (2018 included)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 03:12
As of now, I'm aiming for a high score in GMAT alone
that is scheduled in May,2018

My profile has its own drawbacks.
The major one being my employment gap and the second one --- my undergrad CGPA.

Now to cover these up to a certain extent,
do you think the essay alone is going to play a major role?

I would like an expert's insight into this.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 264

Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 03:22
Ishwar wrote:
As of now, I'm aiming for a high score in GMAT alone
that is scheduled in May,2018

My profile has its own drawbacks.
The major one being my employment gap and the second one --- my undergrad CGPA.

Now to cover these up to a certain extent,
do you think the essay alone is going to play a major role?

I would like an expert's insight into this.


I'm no expert in this.

But I would suggest you to focus on GMAT for now and aim for a score that is higher than average of your target school.

Nothing can be done about your UG GPA. Try to work on the things which you can certainly control. Apart from GMAT, try to build a well-rounded profile. Take up some activities that you are genuinely interested in. Stellar essays might fetch you an interview call, but you need to have something solid to talk about, in your interviews too.
So try to focus on those aspects instead of worrying about bygones.

Good luck :)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 264

INSEAD Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 02 Aug 2017
Posts: 125

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Education)
Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 03:26
Ishwar wrote:
As of now, I'm aiming for a high score in GMAT alone
that is scheduled in May,2018

My profile has its own drawbacks.
The major one being my employment gap and the second one --- my undergrad CGPA.

Now to cover these up to a certain extent,
do you think the essay alone is going to play a major role?

I would like an expert's insight into this.


My 2 cents on this (and no, I am not an expert in any sense :P)
A good GMAT score (let's say 720+) will take care of the academics part (low undergrad CGPA)
Since the professional part has 3 years of gap, you need to show strength in Academics and Leadership skills.
And then use your essays to address the gap, which could be about the learnings you have had (skill-wise, mindset-wise), and how did that prepare you to pursue your goals via an MBA.
_________________

One day, all kids will have access to an excellent education

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 04:11
Thanks a lot guys !!!
I'm already in love with this db :-)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1045

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 54

Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 09:14
Ishwar wrote:
As of now, I'm aiming for a high score in GMAT alone
that is scheduled in May,2018

My profile has its own drawbacks.
The major one being my employment gap and the second one --- my undergrad CGPA.

Now to cover these up to a certain extent,
do you think the essay alone is going to play a major role?

I would like an expert's insight into this.



You should get back to full time employment. May 2018 is 6 months away and that means you will apply in September/ October next year. That's almost another year. MAke it professionally productive .
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE


Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 54

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Aug 2017
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Location: India
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V32
GPA: 3
Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 11:41
Hi,

I gave gmat yesterday and got a score of 710.
I am aiming for R2.
class X - 89%
Class XII - 82%
BE - 71%
work exp - 5.5 yrs but left the job 6 month back
Do have a chance in ISB?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 May 2016
Posts: 122

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 0

Schools: ISB (A)
Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 02:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
You have a good GMAT score of 700+ and a good number of years of work experience. ISB evaluates profiles based on the academics, GMAT score, work experience, your essays and your extra curricular activities. If you can justify why you quit your job, and write well drafted essays, highlight your strengths, you definitely have a chance.
_________________

Regards,

Team Strategy4GMAT

http://www.strategy4gmat.com

(an ISB alumni initiative)

Not sure how a consultant helps? Try our FREE essay review below:

https://goo.gl/forms/JLfAYZ2icNSDlShI3

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 0

Re: What are my chances of getting into ISB?   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 02:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What are my chances of getting into ISB?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.