Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618587 [43]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [6]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 81
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: What is the thousandth term of S, a certain sequence of numbers? [#permalink]
Kudos
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the thousandth term of S, a certain sequence of numbers?

(1) For every n, the nth term of S is n².
(2) The first five terms of S are 1², 2², 3², 4², and 5².
PS21270

Target question: What is the value of term_1000?

Statement 1: For every n, the nth term of S is n².
Perfect! Statement 1 provides a "recipe" for determining the value of ANY term in the sequence.
So, it must be the case that term_1000 = 1000² = 1,000,000
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The first five terms of S are 1², 2², 3², 4², and 5².
Important: Even though it certainly LOOKS like there is a pattern here, we can't assume that it continues,
For example, the sequence COULD just be a list of someone's favorite numbers.
So, it COULD be the case that term_6 = 17², term_7 = 5.3, term_8 = -9.22, etc, in which case, term_1000 can have pretty much any value
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent

BrentGMATPrepNow ,Bunuel Please help.
I thought the answer was E because Statement 1 does not specify if n is an integer. So if n is an integer then it holds that the thousandth term will always be zero but if it not, it could be any number. Please help me clarify this thought as I'm still confused on why the answer is A
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: What is the thousandth term of S, a certain sequence of numbers? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Chidinho wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) For every n, the nth term of S is n².
(2) The first five terms of S are 1², 2², 3², 4², and 5².
PS21270

Target question: What is the value of term_1000?

Statement 1: For every n, the nth term of S is n².
Perfect! Statement 1 provides a "recipe" for determining the value of ANY term in the sequence.
So, it must be the case that term_1000 = 1000² = 1,000,000
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The first five terms of S are 1², 2², 3², 4², and 5².
Important: Even though it certainly LOOKS like there is a pattern here, we can't assume that it continues,
For example, the sequence COULD just be a list of someone's favorite numbers.
So, it COULD be the case that term_6 = 17², term_7 = 5.3, term_8 = -9.22, etc, in which case, term_1000 can have pretty much any value
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent

I thought the answer was E because Statement 1 does not specify if n is an integer. So if n is an integer then it holds that the thousandth term will always be zero but if it not, it could be any number. Please help me clarify this thought as I'm still confused on why the answer is A

nth term means n is a positive integer. You cannot have n as 1/2, because 1/2th number is not possible. Order is always 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on.

thousandth term will be 1000, so n is 1000
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [3]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Chidinho wrote:

There are many instances when integers are implied.
For example, if we're told that a classroom contains n children, we can conclude that n must be an integer.
Likewise, if we're talking about terms in a sequence, the total number of terms must be an integer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(1) For every n, the nth term of S is n^2.
This definitely gives us the answer when we chose n=1000 the answer

Therefore clealry sufficient

(2) The first five terms of S are 1^2, 2^2, 3^2, 4^2, and 5^2.

We cannot definitely determine the rest of the series and how it will behave insufficient

Therefore IMO A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Hi IanStewart AndrewN
If in the question, it would have been mentioned that its a series instead of sequence, then would that make D the correct option. Because there is always a relationship in a series. In a sequence its not always true. Am I right?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Hi IanStewart AndrewN
If in the question, it would have been mentioned that its a series instead of sequence, then would that make D the correct option. Because there is always a relationship in a series. In a sequence its not always true. Am I right?

Your definition of "series" isn't right. A "series" in math is a sum of a sequence. I've seen many prep companies use the word incorrectly (it's often used as if it were a synonym of "sequence", and it's not), but the GMAT will never use the word at all, since you learn about series in calculus, and calculus is beyond the scope of the test.

There is no mathematical word that means "a sequence with a relationship among terms", but even if we knew, in this question, that there was some relationship among the terms, the answer would still be A. You can't guess a relationship from a finite number of terms. Maybe the sequence in statement 2 is the sequence where the first five terms are 1, 4, 9, 16 and 25, and after that, every term is equal to the term five terms before it, so the sequence just repeats in a loop, 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, etc. There are infinitely many other possibilities. You can only determine the thousandth term in a situation like this if you have an unambiguous rule that lets you calculate that term, so the answer here is A.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Hi IanStewart AndrewN

Hello, pk6969. I did not think of any difference between series and sequence when I approached the question. If anything, the response that IanStewart gave above should show that rigid thinking about words when you are not absolutely sure of their meaning can get you into trouble. (To be fair to some prep companies and tutors, they may not know the mathematical definition of certain words and use them in a more general sense. But that does not mean that anybody, tutor, teacher, or prep company, should hide behind ignorance as an excuse not to improve on their understanding and teaching.)

Perhaps because I dabbled in intelligence testing in my teens and early twenties, statement (2) here looked rather familiar, like something on a "predict the next term" question. Trouble is, we are asked about the thousandth term, and it is a long way to go from the first five terms to the one in question. I like the example IanStewart gave in his post; my mind went straight to a different type of sequence:

Given: 1^2, 2^2, 3^2, 4^2, 5^2

Possible: 1^3, 2^3, 3^3, 4^3, 5^3

Without a way to pin down the behavior of the sequence as a whole, I knew the proposition was dead in the water. (A) made sense; (B) (and, by extension, (D)) did not. I talk sometimes about the power of logic in my once-in-a-while Quant posts. These types of questions are my bread and butter, requiring little in the way of mathematical acumen to answer accurately and efficiently. (Again, I do not mean to excuse myself from improving my mathematical understanding. I am working on it all the time.)

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Send PM
if we are saying " a sequence "and giving first five terms which has difference of 2...then how can at 6th term we say it can again a loop 1^2,2^2......
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts