GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What percentage of the square's area is shaded?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Oct 2016
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V25
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 03:52
1
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (03:03) correct 56% (02:13) wrong based on 146 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What percentage of the square's area is grey-shaded, with AB = 4 and DE = 1? (see picture)

A: 30%

B: 37,5%

C: 40%

D: 45%

E: 50%



*found it on brilliant.org and I guess it's a tough gmat-style questions

Attachments

GeoProblemTriangle.jpg
GeoProblemTriangle.jpg [ 47.75 KiB | Viewed 3785 times ]

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Oct 2016
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V25
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 09:34
5
1
septwibowo

Why the two triangles are indeed similar is shown graphically below.

Angles a, b, and c are identical, making the two triangles similar. Hence, the base to height ratio is similar and we can set up a proportion to find the height:

\(\dfrac {4-h}{4}=\dfrac {h}{1}\)

h = 0.8

So, height of the shaded triangle is 3.2 and since we have the base (4) and the height (3.2) we can calculate the area.

\(3.2 = \dfrac{16}{5}\)

Area of grey-shaded triangle:

\(\dfrac {\dfrac{16}{5}\times 4}{2} = \dfrac{32}{5}\)

Percentage of the square's area:

\(\dfrac {\dfrac {32}{5}}{16} = \dfrac{2}{5} \rightarrow \dfrac{2}{5}\times 100 = 40\%\)
Attachments

GeoProblemTriangleSol1.jpg
GeoProblemTriangleSol1.jpg [ 55.06 KiB | Viewed 3588 times ]

GeoProblemTriangleSol2.jpg
GeoProblemTriangleSol2.jpg [ 62.96 KiB | Viewed 3586 times ]

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 325
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 04:05
4
Option C

The two triangles are proportionate. Hence the height of the shaded triangle is 4/(4+1)*4 =3.2. Hence area of the shaded region =1/2*4*3.2=6.4. The ratio is 6.4/(4*4)*100=40%.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 07:31
Sasindran wrote:
Option C

The two triangles are proportionate. Hence the height of the shaded triangle is 4/(4+1)*4 =3.2. Hence area of the shaded region =1/2*4*3.2=6.4. The ratio is 6.4/(4*4)*100=40%.

Posted from my mobile device


Dear Sasindran , would u please elaborate more why these triangles are proportionate?
_________________

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 325
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 07:57
3
septwibowo wrote:
Sasindran wrote:
Option C

The two triangles are proportionate. Hence the height of the shaded triangle is 4/(4+1)*4 =3.2. Hence area of the shaded region =1/2*4*3.2=6.4. The ratio is 6.4/(4*4)*100=40%.

Posted from my mobile device


Dear Sasindran , would u please elaborate more why these triangles are proportionate?


Sure.

We all know that AB and CD are parallel lines. When two lines intersect between parallel lines the triangles so formed by them are always proportional to each other. Also the distance of intersection from either of the lines are also proportional to the length of the parallel lines.

For our case lets consider the intersecting point as O. Here we have AB=4 and DE=1. Hence by the above theorem we have perpendicular Distance between O and line AB is proportional to the perpendicular distance between O and the line DE.

i.e., AB/DE = per dist between O and AB/per dist between O and DE

4/1=height of triangle ABO/height of triagle DEO
also we know that height of triangle AEO+height of triagle DEO=4 (divided at O in the ratio 4:1)

Hence height of triangle AEO=4/5=3.2
height of triangle DEO=1/5=0.8

Hence area of triangle AEO=1/2*4*3.2=6.4

And you know the remaining septwibowo

Hope i made clear!

Thanks
_________________

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 325
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE: Design (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 08:11
1
septwibowo

Although may find 1000s of resources I am providing one:

https://www.varsitytutors.com/hotmath/h ... rtionality
_________________

Help with kudos if u found the post useful. Thanks

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 23:09
Sasindran wrote:
septwibowo wrote:
Sasindran wrote:
Option C

The two triangles are proportionate. Hence the height of the shaded triangle is 4/(4+1)*4 =3.2. Hence area of the shaded region =1/2*4*3.2=6.4. The ratio is 6.4/(4*4)*100=40%.

Posted from my mobile device


Dear Sasindran , would u please elaborate more why these triangles are proportionate?


Sure.

We all know that AB and CD are parallel lines. When two lines intersect between parallel lines the triangles so formed by them are always proportional to each other. Also the distance of intersection from either of the lines are also proportional to the length of the parallel lines.

For our case lets consider the intersecting point as O. Here we have AB=4 and DE=1. Hence by the above theorem we have perpendicular Distance between O and line AB is proportional to the perpendicular distance between O and the line DE.

i.e., AB/DE = per dist between O and AB/per dist between O and DE

4/1=height of triangle ABO/height of triagle DEO
also we know that height of triangle AEO+height of triagle DEO=4 (divided at O in the ratio 4:1)

Hence height of triangle AEO=4/5=3.2
height of triangle DEO=1/5=0.8

Hence area of triangle AEO=1/2*4*3.2=6.4

And you know the remaining septwibowo

Hope i made clear!

Thanks


Thank you very much Sasindran for your generosity! Kudo for you!
_________________

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 23:10
drexxie wrote:
septwibowo

Why the two triangles are indeed similar is shown graphically below.

Angles a, b, and c are identical, making the two triangles similar. Hence, the base to height ratio is similar and we can set up a proportion to find the height:

\(\dfrac {4-h}{4}=\dfrac {h}{1}\)

h = 0.8

So, height of the shaded triangle is 3.2 and since we have the base (4) and the height (3.2) we can calculate the area.

\(3.2 = \dfrac{16}{5}\)

Area of grey-shaded triangle:

\(\dfrac {\dfrac{16}{5}\times 4}{2} = \dfrac{32}{5}\)

Percentage of the square's area:

\(\dfrac {\dfrac {32}{5}}{16} = \dfrac{2}{5} \rightarrow \dfrac{2}{5}\times 100 = 40\%\)


Thank you drexxie ! I forgot this theorem, my bad!
_________________

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1854
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 01:17
well, this question is hardly a gmat question. The source is also unreliable. However, this question is really a tough question.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V50
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q47 V50
GMAT 4: 730 Q47 V50
GRE 1: Q162 V162

GRE 2: Q162 V162

GRE 3: Q162 V162

GRE 4: Q162 V162
GPA: 2.9
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 07:45
drexxie wrote:

Why the two triangles are indeed similar is shown graphically below.

Angles a, b, and c are identical, making the two triangles similar. Hence, the base to height ratio is similar and we can set up a proportion to find the height:

\(\dfrac {4-h}{4}=\dfrac {h}{1}\)

h = 0.8

So, height of the shaded triangle is 3.2 and since we have the base (4) and the height (3.2) we can calculate the area.

\(3.2 = \dfrac{16}{5}\)

Area of grey-shaded triangle:

\(\dfrac {\dfrac{16}{5}\times 4}{2} = \dfrac{32}{5}\)

Percentage of the square's area:

\(\dfrac {\dfrac {32}{5}}{16} = \dfrac{2}{5} \rightarrow \dfrac{2}{5}\times 100 = 40\%\)


This is real compact and accurate answer. Thanks mate. Kudo for you!
Re: What percentage of the square's area is shaded? &nbs [#permalink] 25 Mar 2018, 07:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What percentage of the square's area is shaded?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.