Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Evaluate Argumentx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4152 [381]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [90]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [16]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V40
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Send PM
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]
Kudos
The OA is A. Attached is the explanation from OG.
Attachments

File comment: I looked up the question and this came up on books.google.com. the OA is A
Image.JPG
Image.JPG [ 54.17 KiB | Viewed 59051 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
yvonne0923 wrote:
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

A. why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
B. why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?
E. why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Thanks,
Yvonne

Premise: hypnotized subjects are told they are deaf then asked. They replied "No".
Conclusion: Replies part and deaf part are independent.

Weakness: if the two parts (deaf & replies) are independent, why the hypnotized subjects always replies "No". They always say "No" because there must be a connection between deaf part and replies part. So the deaf part commands the replies part say "NO". If there's no connection, the subjects could say "YES" or "NO". It doesn't matter.

@Yvonne: "Can anyone explain choice E for me?"
E doesn't help at all. E just says the deaf part and the replies part are the same for all subjects, it means every subject have the same two parts - deaf part & replies part. This is true, but E doesn't help to explain whether there's a connection between the two parts or not.

Hope it helps.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
yvonne0923 wrote:
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

A. why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
B. why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?
E. why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Thanks,
Yvonne

Regarding (A) vs (D):

If the two dissociated parts are indeed separate then why do people listen him in the first place when they are told they are deaf - and accordingly provide a reply. They can provide any reply Yes or No but since it always provides No, it means that both parts are not completely separate and are connected.

Because the reply of "NO" makes it seem as if the subject is indeed influenced by the other part - which means the 2 parts must somehow be related.

Because if they were NOT related (as the theorists try to claim) - then why do they always say NO? Why don't they say YES?

If the 2 parts were NOT related, then one would expect that when a subject is asked "can you hear me?" - that the expectation is they would reply YES.

SO why don't they say YES? - that's the question to ask.

The issue here is not about "why do subjects always give the same response"

The issue here is that there is an expected response - and we're not getting that expected response.

more: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/3005
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos

C was the most attractive choice for me and went with it. Im convinced that A is the answer with the above explanations. Thanks guys.
Manager
Manager
Status:Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [12]
Given Kudos: 257
Send PM
Kudos
lets brick the argument:
hypnotized subject reply "NO" when asked "can you hear".
Theorist: There are 2 part: Part1: Deaf and Part2: Replies

WE need to weaken Theorist.
[Deaf part cannot hear and Part that reply could]

A: Weaken. Best Answer.
B: Out of scope
C: strengthens
D: comparision eliminate
E: neutral

Best answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [5]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
We have to weaken the argument.
Simply put, if we can establish that the two parts are connected then the whole argument will fall apart or else we need to cast doubt on the findings/conclusion.

If the subject replies YES then it means that may be the parts are connected and the subject is not hypnotized
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [4]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
perfectstranger wrote:
68. When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?
(A) Why does the part that replies not answer,
"Yes"? I
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any
special explanation?
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the
hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf? C
D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the
same way in the situation described?
E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same
for all subjects?

Conclusion : the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer,"Yes"? - Weakener - If the parts are dissociated for each other. then the part that replies is not aware of wat its saying then why should it always says "Yes"
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation? - Irrelevant
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf? - - Irrelevant Not sure!!!!
(D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the same way in the situation described? nothing to do with the theorist views
E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects? - Nuteral
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.54
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Valii wrote:
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
MulanQ wrote:
Valii wrote:

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!

Hello MulanQ

I understand the question's logic is quite hard to digest. The key point is that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part. It means that no matter one can/can't hear anything, he/she always replies in a predetermined way. In this question, the deaf part means one is hypnotized to become "deaf", he/she is not a deaf person. (I think you misunderstood this point). In order to prove that the two parts is dissociated, we have to prove TWO cases, NOT only one used by the author.

If the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part, so:

Case #1: Although one can actually hear, he/she always replies "NO". --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "YES", he/she may hear something actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

Case #2: Although one does NOT hear anything, he/she still replies "YES" --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "NO", he/she may not hear anything actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

If the two cases above are shown properly, the argument's conclusion is correct. But if only one case is shown, case #1 in this question, we can't conclude that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part.

A shows that the author "forgot" case #2, so the conclusion should be weaken.

Hope it helps.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31867 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos