It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 1

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2012, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
questions are a bit easy ..
are you sure about the official answers you have given..

just one more month for exam...

Kudos [?]: 31 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2013, 07:07
Damn tough question ... all the options looked weak to me until i read the post ...

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 349

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2013, 02:11
hare one.
lets try

there is a causal
separateness of part causes the reply of "no".

prethink:
assumption is that separateness dose not cause the reply of "yes"
flaw: separeatenes can causes the reply of "yes"

go to answer choices.
A match.

however. this is tough.
the process of prethinking is not normal because the conclusion and evidence is not clear. this is the way gmat make cr question harder.

I do not know how to deat with this type of question. the practice is meaningless if we do not khow the skill.

excepts for inference and bold phrase questions, I alway prethink an assumption before going to answer chocies. I think prethink is a good weapon which protect us from traps in answer choices.

pls comment.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Date: 03-16-2013
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2013, 06:02
(A) is correct
This question is so simple and only depends on your logical sense.
If hypnotized person is deaf then how hear your question and respond to you????!!!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 41

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:27
very difficult one. What do you think

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 41

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3553 [2], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2013, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
yvonne0923 wrote:
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

A. why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
B. why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?
E. why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Thanks,
Yvonne

Premise: hypnotized subjects are told they are deaf then asked. They replied "No".
Conclusion: Replies part and deaf part are independent.

Weakness: if the two parts (deaf & replies) are independent, why the hypnotized subjects always replies "No". They always say "No" because there must be a connection between deaf part and replies part. So the deaf part commands the replies part say "NO". If there's no connection, the subjects could say "YES" or "NO". It doesn't matter.

@Yvonne: "Can anyone explain choice E for me?"
E doesn't help at all. E just says the deaf part and the replies part are the same for all subjects, it means every subject have the same two parts - deaf part & replies part. This is true, but E doesn't help to explain whether there's a connection between the two parts or not.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3553 [2], given: 123

SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1639 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 11:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
yvonne0923 wrote:
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

A. why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
B. why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?
E. why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Thanks,
Yvonne

Regarding (A) vs (D):

If the two dissociated parts are indeed separate then why do people listen him in the first place when they are told they are deaf - and accordingly provide a reply. They can provide any reply Yes or No but since it always provides No, it means that both parts are not completely separate and are connected.

Because the reply of "NO" makes it seem as if the subject is indeed influenced by the other part - which means the 2 parts must somehow be related.

Because if they were NOT related (as the theorists try to claim) - then why do they always say NO? Why don't they say YES?

If the 2 parts were NOT related, then one would expect that when a subject is asked "can you hear me?" - that the expectation is they would reply YES.

SO why don't they say YES? - that's the question to ask.

The issue here is not about "why do subjects always give the same response"

The issue here is that there is an expected response - and we're not getting that expected response.

more: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/3005

Kudos [?]: 1639 [0], given: 8

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS

C was the most attractive choice for me and went with it. Im convinced that A is the answer with the above explanations. Thanks guys.

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 15

11 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 104 [11], given: 257

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2013, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
lets brick the argument:
hypnotized subject reply "NO" when asked "can you hear".
Theorist: There are 2 part: Part1: Deaf and Part2: Replies

WE need to weaken Theorist.
[Deaf part cannot hear and Part that reply could]

A: Weaken. Best Answer.
B: Out of scope
C: strengthens
D: comparision eliminate
E: neutral

Best answer is A.

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 104 [11], given: 257

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2014, 07:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 233 [4], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
We have to weaken the argument.
Simply put, if we can establish that the two parts are connected then the whole argument will fall apart or else we need to cast doubt on the findings/conclusion.

If the subject replies YES then it means that may be the parts are connected and the subject is not hypnotized

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 233 [4], given: 403

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [3], given: 72

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
perfectstranger wrote:
68. When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?
(A) Why does the part that replies not answer,
"Yes"? I
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any
special explanation?
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the
hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf? C
D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the
same way in the situation described?
E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same
for all subjects?

Conclusion : the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer,"Yes"? - Weakener - If the parts are dissociated for each other. then the part that replies is not aware of wat its saying then why should it always says "Yes"
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation? - Irrelevant
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf? - - Irrelevant Not sure!!!!
(D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the same way in the situation described? nothing to do with the theorist views
E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects? - Nuteral

Kudos [?]: 87 [3], given: 72

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2014, 22:09
68. When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

Conclusion : selves are dissasociated. For example , subject left hand doesn't know about right hand of the subject.
Prove that still somehow there is a relation between then you will weaken the argument.

Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?
(A) Why does the part that replies not answer,
"Yes"? POE
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any
special explanation?
out of scope. It has already happened and given as a premise.
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the
hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf? C
OFS
D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the
same way in the situation described? OFS
We dont know whether all of them respond the same way. further, the focus is on why they respond than on how all respond.

E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same
for all subjects?
OFS. We are looking for correlation between dissociated parts in a single subject. How all others respond is out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 01:58
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 52

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.54
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2014, 11:56
Valii wrote:
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 52

3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3553 [3], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 01:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MulanQ wrote:
Valii wrote:

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!

Hello MulanQ

I understand the question's logic is quite hard to digest. The key point is that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part. It means that no matter one can/can't hear anything, he/she always replies in a predetermined way. In this question, the deaf part means one is hypnotized to become "deaf", he/she is not a deaf person. (I think you misunderstood this point). In order to prove that the two parts is dissociated, we have to prove TWO cases, NOT only one used by the author.

If the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part, so:

Case #1: Although one can actually hear, he/she always replies "NO". --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "YES", he/she may hear something actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

Case #2: Although one does NOT hear anything, he/she still replies "YES" --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "NO", he/she may not hear anything actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

If the two cases above are shown properly, the argument's conclusion is correct. But if only one case is shown, case #1 in this question, we can't conclude that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part.

A shows that the author "forgot" case #2, so the conclusion should be weaken.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3553 [3], given: 123

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 120

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 04:39
Choice A is Weakener - If the parts are dissociated for each other. then the part that replies is not aware of wat its saying then why should it always says "Yes"

Quite tricky question.

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 120

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 07:05

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 01:50

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 13:59

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2015, 13:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 71 posts ] 

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap