Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5651 [20]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [8]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview [#permalink]
Kudos
aragonn wrote:
When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror, Suzanne pulled her car over to the side of the road.
A. When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror
B. When she notices the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights
C. Noticing the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror
D. After having noticed the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights
E. Having noticed the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror

Do give reasoning.

IMO C i think , after the first underline sentence give us hint that we need a phase modifying suzanne so
A,B AND D eliminated
C- correct
E- use of having is incorrect and c is more concise than e

IF YOU LIKE MY EXPLANATION PLEASE PROVIDE ME KUDOS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: XLRI (A)
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
Re: When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview [#permalink]
Kudos
aragonn wrote:
When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror, Suzanne pulled her car over to the side of the road.
B. When she notices the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights
D. After having noticed the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights

Do give reasoning.

I also had in a haste marked C as the answer......but realised my mistake after seeing the OA E....

What I understand is that the mistake in C is: "Noticing the police's car.......Suzanne pulled her car........." is like both these activities are simultaneously happening right there at the same moment...giving it a meaning something like this: "Suzanne is stepping aside while she is seeing the mirror/noticing the flash in rear-view mirror"...

Choice E).......Having noticed the police car's .........clearly removes this ambiguity....first she sees the flash and then she steps aside.....though initially may appear to be a passive and long statement, it removes ambiguity and is more clear....

May be my understanding is wrong, correct me experts.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Hello Experts

Please help me differentiate between answer choices C and E.
C :- it appears that Suzanne notices the lights in her rear view mirror and at the same time pulls acar to the side
E:- Sussane notices lights in her rear view mirror and later on pulls car to the side

I am not able to understand the difference created by "noticing" and "having noticed"

"having noticed" appears to imply the occurrence of 2nd action after the completion of 1st. But logically both actions should occur simultaneously
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Do give reasoning.

B is too awkward, ignore it. C is passive and break parallelism by changing tenses. Same problem with D and A, parallelism. E is the correct option, the verb in E is the same tense as ‘pulled’.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM

First Suzanne noticed the light, then she pulled the car. So there is a sequence of actions. This already rules out A and B that present the first verb in the present form and the second in the past form. D has a awkard construction.

between C and E I choose E without any kind of dubt for reasons of meaning and logic.
C expresses contemporaneity of actions. While she noticed the light, she pulled the car away, and this is illogical.
Firstly, she noticed the light, then she pulled the car.
This construction is perfectly presented in choice E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Can someone explain why C is wrong? expecting a better explaination
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
shahidomer77 wrote:

Hi, I try again.
The action of "notice" something is not an action that you can perform with continuity. Or, at least, not in this sentence.
You can notice something or not. You can notice a detail in a picture or not, for example.

In C, there is ambiguity. Reading it it looks like Suzanne pulled away the car while noticing the light in the mirror. But this is senseless, because she can notice the light or not, she can't be noticing it.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shahidomer77 wrote:

shahidomer77 , good questions elicit good answers.

Good questions are specific and are asked politely.

techiesam , above, gave a good explanation.

What part of that explanation of C and E do you not understand?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Modifier in the form
,having +Verb Ed form ---it use to present an action that took place before the main action mentioned somewhere in the sentence.

Now, in option C : noticing and stopping seems to be happening at same time
However, the order is first she saw the lights and then she stopped the car

Therefore, Option E correctly represents this order

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32927 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Choices A, B, and C all incorrectly use present tense verbs in the first clause, which does not agree with the past tense “pulled” in the second clause. Between D and E, E is more concise and makes a clearer statement of the connection of the lights to the police car. E is the best choice.

Correct answer: E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts