GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 23:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:34) correct 55% (00:38) wrong based on 306 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror, Suzanne pulled her car over to the side of the road.
A. When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror
B. When she notices the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights
C. Noticing the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror
D. After having noticed the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights
E. Having noticed the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror

Do give reasoning.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 02:10
A. When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror . Incorrect
This should not be in present tense as suzzane pulled her car is in past.
B. When she notices the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights. Incorrect
here it seems like she is viewing in the rearview mirror of police car.
C. Noticing the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror. Correct
Rightly states that when she noticed she pulled her car.
D. After having noticed the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights. Incorrect
same as B
E. Having noticed the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror . Incorrect
this action started in the past and was discontinued when suzzane pulled her car so using having is nonsensical

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 03:32
aragonn wrote:
When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror, Suzanne pulled her car over to the side of the road.
B. When she notices the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights
D. After having noticed the flashing in her rearview mirror of the police car's lights

Do give reasoning.

IMO C i think , after the first underline sentence give us hint that we need a phase modifying suzanne so
A,B AND D eliminated
C- correct
E- use of having is incorrect and c is more concise than e

IF YOU LIKE MY EXPLANATION PLEASE PROVIDE ME KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: XLRI (A)
GPA: 2.83

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 08:17
aragonn wrote:

Do give reasoning.

I also had in a haste marked C as the answer......but realised my mistake after seeing the OA E....

What I understand is that the mistake in C is: "Noticing the police's car.......Suzanne pulled her car........." is like both these activities are simultaneously happening right there at the same moment...giving it a meaning something like this: "Suzanne is stepping aside while she is seeing the mirror/noticing the flash in rear-view mirror"...

Choice E).......Having noticed the police car's .........clearly removes this ambiguity....first she sees the flash and then she steps aside.....though initially may appear to be a passive and long statement, it removes ambiguity and is more clear....

May be my understanding is wrong, correct me experts.....
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 03:21
Its clearly between C and E.Though grammatically they both are correct,There is a very subtle meaning difference between the two of them.

C. Noticing the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror,Suzanne pulled her car over to the side of the road.
E. Having noticed the police car's flashing lights in her rearview mirror ,Suzanne pulled her car over to the side of the road.

In E, use of the past participle form emphasizes that the first action has been completed before the second action begins. Thus, we could paraphrase these two sentences as follows:

C.When Suzanne saw the lights ahead, she simultaneously stopped my car.It means seeing the light and stopping the car happens at the same time
E.Suzanne noticed that there had been flashing lights and then she stopped my car.It is much logical.

E makes better logical sense.So E is the right answer.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 10:22
Hello Experts

Please help me differentiate between answer choices C and E.
C :- it appears that Suzanne notices the lights in her rear view mirror and at the same time pulls acar to the side
E:- Sussane notices lights in her rear view mirror and later on pulls car to the side

I am not able to understand the difference created by "noticing" and "having noticed"

"having noticed" appears to imply the occurrence of 2nd action after the completion of 1st. But logically both actions should occur simultaneously
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 00:04
daagh COULD YOU PLS EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN C and E. THNAKS
Re: When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2018, 00:04

When she notices the police car's flashing lights in her rearview

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap