GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

IE vs. SDA Bocconi vs. ESADE?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V40
Reviews Badge
IE vs. SDA Bocconi vs. ESADE?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 18:33
Hi all,

I have been accepted into IE, ESADE and Bocconi. But with ESADE, I have been accepted for next year's (2017) intake and not this year. No scholarship at any schools but I might have a chance at scholarships at ESADE since it's for next year.

So I guess if I wanna go to school this year (Which I do) then it's mainly between IE and Bocconi.

My background:

I'm Indian, living in Canada with a permanent residency. I have a background in marketing and advertising.

I do not wish to live in Canada permanently and hence I didn't even consider Canadian schools.

After my MBA, I intend to work in Marketing/Brand Management or in consulting (consulting being a second choice). I would like to work in Europe or in the United States, hopefully someplace warm though I understand that a warm country might not be a guarantee.

My dream job would be to work for a motorcycle company such as Yamaha, though I don't think any motorcycle companies recruit from any of these schools. If not that, I'd like to be the Brand Manager for a consumer brand, followed by consulting.

At present, I don't speak either Spanish or Italian.

Which school should I pick? I have heard Bocconi is a great school regionally and offers good placement support. I've also heard Bocconi places a lot of graduates in London, and London is not a place where I would like to live/work.

However, IE I believe is ranked better and better known intentionally as a brand but IE is also more expensive than Bocconi. Does someone know which regions/countries do most IE graduates find themselves working in?

I guess my decision would primarily be based on which school provides better employment opportunities and better recognition intentionally.

Can you please compare the above schools and share their inputs? Those with personal experience with the above schools, I would love to hear your views.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Re: IE vs. SDA Bocconi vs. ESADE?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 15:39
Bump. Anyone?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 19:19
You won't likely find anyone who has attended multiple schools and nobody will know how to compare programs/schools since they have had just one experience.

IE:
IE is great for entrepreneurship/startup/VC.
IE is ranked higher (usually) but it does not rank very well with consulting recruiting and in the coveted MBB space. Which is surprising taking into consideration the price tag and the rankings.
Weak placement in the US (impossible to figure out the exact numbers though)

SDA Bocconi:
Stronger in Marketing and Brand management based on curriculum/placement
Stronger in Consulting
5% placement into the North America (that means US, Mexico, and Canada).

Now.... I am not sure what your question is exactly. You have very open goals - all achievable in either school. I would personally pick IE due to their VC/Entreprenurship emphasis. For you, SDA is probably better as they do have a brand management emphasis with their luxury program and a consulting path with many strong consulting names recruiting out of the program. The SDA program is also cheaper by 15-20K. Which you will need the money since the average for both schools at graduation is about 80K euro. I don't know about cost of living in Europe/etc but that's definitely a step down from the US counter-parts with $125K starting salaries. (note the IE report is a bit dated).

I think the weakest idea you have is going back to the States. Few companies will want to hire a person of Canadian residence from Spain/Italy to work in the US. The rule of thumb is - go to school, in the region where you would like to work. Seems you are approaching it right. Otherwise, you are doing it all right, and as long as you are OK sticking around Europe/Asia, SDA will be a great choice.

Congrats and good luck!
Attachments

Careers-Report-IMBA-2014.pdf [859.86 KiB]
Downloaded 44 times

To download please login or register as a user

CS_MBA_2016.pdf [366.73 KiB]
Downloaded 46 times

To download please login or register as a user

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 21:17
Dear bb,

Thanks for taking out the time to comment on my question and posting such a comprehensive reply. It really helps a lot and puts things in perspective.

Ultimately, I guess I'll be making a choice based on these questions. I'd really appreciate if you or someone else could comment on these:

1. Which school has a stronger brand internationally? That is, which school's name on my degree would open more doors for me or help me more in getting an interview going by brand name alone?

2. Which school is stronger in getting students employed post graduation? I'm talking career services, internships, fairs or anything the schools help you in finding a job.

And lastly, does somebody know which markets/countries do IE graduates typically find themselves working in? I feel post graduation prospective work location(s) will be a key factor for me while making my choice.

Again, thank you for your valuable post. It was really helpful.

Best,
A
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 21:20
Have you looked at the employment reports? A number of your questions (all actually) are answered there.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum App

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 21:23
Hi bb,

yes I have gone through the reports. However, many members here warn that you should read employment reports with a grain a salt so I was hoping if some members of this great community could share their valuable advice/experiences.

Thanks again!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 21:33
Maybe but not for the questions you're asking

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum App

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 21:52
I see. Thanks again bb for your help! I will update my final decision here at the forum.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 03:41
Hello I know this is a bit old but to the original poster..could you let us know which school did you attend finally?
I am facing the same dilemma and can't decide between IE, ESADE & SDA Bocconi.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 05:23
deepika1620 wrote:
Hello I know this is a bit old but to the original poster..could you let us know which school did you attend finally?
I am facing the same dilemma and can't decide between IE, ESADE & SDA Bocconi.

Thanks!

Hi Deepika,

I would suggest SDA as in Spain work visa is a bit difficult to get. And moreover, your student visa in spain does not offer any grace period for finding a job.

Hope that helps.
Thanks & Regards,
Ankit Kaushik
GMAT Club Bot
Re: IE vs. SDA Bocconi vs. ESADE? &nbs [#permalink] 16 Feb 2018, 05:23

IE vs. SDA Bocconi vs. ESADE?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, swbluedevil, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap