It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 21:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below? At

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 13

Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 15:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:17) correct 50% (00:00) wrong based on 23 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following best completes the passage below?
At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to influence crowd movements. Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper. Behind this surface divergence in immediate purpose there is the unified underlying goal of _ _ _ _ _.
(A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the park
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible

Please explain your answers?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

Re: Amusement Parks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 16:00
I would pick B. Relieving crowd at the restaurants and forcing people to stay for supper are both immediate goals. But the actual underlying goal is to force people to stay for longer time than intended. Lunch time plays will force users to come to the play around lunch time, then they can have lunch, and watch the show. And then by the time they are done, evening shows are all set to persuade visitors to stay on for one more show(around supper time). So by doing this the amusement parks are forcing people to stay for longer time at the park, so that visitors are tempted to see more than 1 show.

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 10

Schools: Ross

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 16:49
Quote:
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to influence crowd movements. Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper. Behind this surface divergence in immediate purpose there is the unified underlying goal of _ _ _ _ _.
(A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowdirrelevant
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the parkJust to come to the live shows - why would they plan the shows based on the lunch and supper time
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the parkirrelevant
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurantsThey don't want the visitors just to come for dining
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possibleI guess,this is the best because in addition to the shows,they want to make money on the restaurants

Please explain your answers?

I would go with E.

I guess rest all options are not relevant.
What is the OA?

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Last edited by vannu on 14 Jun 2009, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Amusement Parks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 16:54
Even I was opting for D, but the actual answer says otherwise. I dont have the explanation here. So why dont we wait for some more responses before I post the OA?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 00:00
I go for E too.

Lunchtime shows are to decrease traffic to restaurants.
Evening shows are to increase traffic to restaurants.

Both work to optimise traffic to restaurants. Hence E.

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 03:27
I'll choose E...Had to choose between D and E...But D says that the shows are there to bring new customers...However from the argument, it appears that their purpose is to entice the already existing ppl in the parks...

Choose Life

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 05:24
I too go for 'E'. because:

At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to influence crowd movements. 1)Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants.
2)Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper.
Behind this surface divergence in immediate purpose there is the unified underlying goal of _ _ _ _ _.

Now, since during the lunch and evening time, the main purpose of the live shows is directed towards the utilization of the restaurants, option 'E' follows.

(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible

"Always....Read between the lines"

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2009, 17:02
I'm with C.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2009, 00:53
OA is E and all you folks have pretty much explained it.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2009, 12:41
Agree with E.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

Re: Amusement Parks   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2009, 12:41

Which of the following best completes the passage below? At

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap