GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which question types of SC constitute 80 % in GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Which question types of SC constitute 80 % in GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 15:22
Hi,

I am trying to see which question types will take 80% of SC questions in GMAT test.
I think focusing on those question types that appear more frequently in the test will improve my score.

Experts, please advise on this.
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.79
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which question types of SC constitute 80 % in GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 06:42
Brother, you are preparing for gmat exam. So there is nothing such like 80% or 90% rule. Prepare for all the things. Sometimes even 10% part is there in 40% question. So it’s better to prepare for the worst. There is no 80-20 rule here.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 06:51
tapasgupta wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to see which question types will take 80% of SC questions in GMAT test.
I think focusing on those question types that appear more frequently in the test will improve my score.

Hi tapasgupta

There are no guarantees that certain question types make up maximum of the test. infact, this approach will penalise you more!
Imagine you get "assumption" question of say 500-550 level and you have never ever practised assumption? What next?

Remember - GMAT penalizes more for simple incorrect answers than it rewards the difficult but correct ones!

All the best buddy!!
V
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 06:59
tapasgupta wrote:
Hi,

Apart from what Laksh128 had said, i can answer you particular question you want to know which type of concepts being tested in GMAT SC.

Sentence Corrections (SC) (35% out of verbal) (13 questions approx out of 36)

1. Comparisons (11%) (1 or 2 questions)
2. Meaning/Structure (6%) (1)
3. Idioms (10%) (1 or 2)
4. Modifiers(20%) (3)
5. Parallelism (25%) (3)
6. Pronouns (9%) (1 or 2)
7. Punctuations (1%) (0 or 1)
8. Subject-Verb Agreement (9%) (1 or 2)
9. Verb/Tense Form (9%) (1 or 2)

Note: Bold ones build upto 80% of total of SC. There is no such hard and fast rule for above split, these analysis are done by me while preparing my SC Part and it based on questions appears in Official GMAT Guides from 2015 to 2019.

Hope it helps
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 10:15
tapasgupta wrote:
Hi,

Hey tapasgupta

If I were you, I wouldn't take this approach towards GMAT. One more scenario that's highly plausible is GMAT throws multiple questions from area of the questions that you've gotten wrong. Assume you haven't concentrated much on modifiers and you get one question on modifier that you unfortunately get wrong. There's a high possibility of the next couple of SC questions revolving around modifiers, so this approach will only make the matter worse.

Though I haven't seen the above scenario happen in prep companies' mocks, I had one personal experience in real GMAT in late 2017. I got one question on subject-verb agreement wrong and I got close to 2 more SC questions around SV concept. This scenario may be a coincidence or may be how the algorithm works. Either way, the takeaway is there's no guarantee that 80% of questions will come from one particular area.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 14:21
Hello,

Thank you all for your wonderful replies.

My strategy for CR was to get the 80% first i.e. Inference, assumption, Strengthen and weaken. So focusing more on these topics rather than on bold face and flaws in reasoning will get me the higher score.

Similarly, For Quant - Numbers, Inequalities, Absolute values, Statistics. Probability.

So, as per your advise, I will go on everything for SC.

But what about CR and Quant, should I go with my strategy or study for everything.

It is funny that when I read the book 80-20 principle, I thought that I should give it a try on GMAT. :lol: :lol:

Please advise.
Re: Which question types of SC constitute 80 % in GMAT   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2019, 14:21

Which question types of SC constitute 80 % in GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics