GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 May 2018, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 10:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (00:53) correct 63% (01:06) wrong based on 331 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by spreading greater awareness about conservation and waste, others by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending that nuclear power is the best way to meet our energy needs.

A by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending
B by proposing a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others contend
C propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend
D propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending
E propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending
Intern
Intern
B
Re: While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 12:48
C for me as well ... Parallelism at play.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 13:36
I am also with c...
But use of " renewable sources to maintain " is prefer over for maintaining i think....

Sent from my BND-AL10 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 15:37
I think C is incorrect because the false use of "for". "To" seems to be the better fit there.

However, I am aware that the construction in E with "are containing" doesn't appear to be parallel, but it still appeared to be the preferable option over answer choice C.

Perhaps, one of the experts can shed some light on this question :)

My goal: 700 GMAT score

If I could help you with my answer, please think about giving me Kudos :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 15:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi aaba,

Another great question! Let's tackle this one problem at a time, and determine how to get to the correct answer quickly!

The first thing we notice when looking at the answers quickly is how they begin: by proposing vs. propose. Since this is a comparison (one group believes X, while "others" believe Y). Using the phrase "by proposing" makes it sound like we're only talking about one group, not 3. So let's eliminate answers A & B because they don't convey the right meaning.

Now that we have it narrowed down to 3 possible answers, let's look at parallel structure - the most common grammar problem in GMAT questions that contain lists. For this question, the following need to be parallel:

others X / and still others Y

To make it easier to spot, I'll add the word "others" to the beginning of each phrase and highlight the two parts that need to be parallel:

C: others propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend

Answer C does use parallel structure, but there is another problem with this answer: the phrase "for maintaining current levels." By doing this, it's unclear if the energy or the proposal will maintain current levels. Since it's unclear, this is INCORRECT.

D: others propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending

Answer D is INCORRECT because it doesn't use parallel structure.

E: others propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending

Answer E is CORRECT because it uses parallel structure and clear language.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V46
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 00:09
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hi aaba,

Another great question! Let's tackle this one problem at a time, and determine how to get to the correct answer quickly!

The first thing we notice when looking at the answers quickly is how they begin: by proposing vs. propose. Since this is a comparison (one group believes X, while "others" believe Y). Using the phrase "by proposing" makes it sound like we're only talking about one group, not 3. So let's eliminate answers A & B because they don't convey the right meaning.

Now that we have it narrowed down to 3 possible answers, let's look at parallel structure - the most common grammar problem in GMAT questions that contain lists. For this question, the following need to be parallel:

others X / and still others Y

To make it easier to spot, I'll add the word "others" to the beginning of each phrase and highlight the two parts that need to be parallel:

C: others propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend

Answer C does use parallel structure, but there is another problem with this answer: the phrase "for maintaining current levels." By doing this, it's unclear if the energy or the proposal will maintain current levels. Since it's unclear, this is INCORRECT.

D: others propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending

Answer D is INCORRECT because it doesn't use parallel structure.

E: others propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending

Answer E is CORRECT because it uses parallel structure and clear language.

I still don't understand how answer E maintains parallelism. And you have not addressed that issue either, you have simply stated that it uses parallel structure.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 02:36
Hello GMATNinja,

Sire, in this how is option E parallel and C not parallel.

I agree in option C "for maintaining" is wrong - we need "to maintain" to show purpose - but there is bigger issue, parallelism, in E than C.

Argue ..., propose ... and contend --> Nice parallel structure - C
Argue ..., propose ... and are contending --> Doesn't look nice - E

--Why do we need a present continuous when simple present does the job perfectly?

Please throw some light on this issue.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 20:22
While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by spreading greater awareness about conservation and waste, others by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending that nuclear power is the best way to meet our energy needs.

A by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - parallelism issue
B by proposing a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others contend - parallelism issue
C propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend - for maintaining does not show purpose
D propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - parallelism issue
E propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending - Is present continuous tense are contending needed here?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja ,egmat , mikemcgarry , daagh , sayantanc2k , other experts -Can you please help to select between C and E? I chose C over E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 22:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
C
#parallelism

A. " by proposing " absolutely wrong
B. Same as A
C. Right :. It should be " contend that " not " contending that"
D. Improper usage of " contending"
E. Same as D

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 23:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Skywalker18 wrote:

A by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - parallelism issue
B by proposing a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others contend - parallelism issue
C propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend - for maintaining does not show purpose
D propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - parallelism issue
E propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending - Is present continuous tense are contending needed here?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja ,egmat , mikemcgarry , daagh , sayantanc2k , other experts -Can you please help to select between C and E? I chose C over E

Hi Skywalker18!

This is really tricky, because both C and E use parallel structure correctly (as has been pointed out by others above). So it's hard to differentiate between the two. However, the reason that we choose E over C is that in choice C we have:

a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels

This is a case where we want an infinitive of purpose -- we are describing the purpose of something. It is incorrect to use "for" here -- we need to say "to maintain". It is not acceptable to substitute a [preposition] + [gerund] (like "for maintaining") for an infinitive of purpose. So for that reason, we eliminate C and choose E.

Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 05:53
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

Sire, in this how is option E parallel and C not parallel.

I agree in option C "for maintaining" is wrong - we need "to maintain" to show purpose - but there is bigger issue, parallelism, in E than C.

Argue ..., propose ... and contend --> Nice parallel structure - C
Argue ..., propose ... and are contending --> Doesn't look nice - E

--Why do we need a present continuous when simple present does the job perfectly?

Please throw some light on this issue.

I have the same question, how is E maintaining parallelism? And isn't parallelism a bigger issue than "for maintaining" if we have to make a choice? Can experts please help?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 07:06
Sir i didnt Understand the parallel structure here. Is is someting related to SVO
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 09:42
E: While many argue...., others propose...., and still others are....

Parallelism is between the 3 verbs in bold above.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 11:11

E propose switching to renewable sources of energyto maintain current levels, and still others are contending -

Both options C and E have parallel structure as indicated by the bold faced verbs. For parallelism to hold it is not necessary to have same tense of the verb.
But option E is preferred over C just because it uses infinitive to correctly show purpose.

Is this understanding correct, experts kindly comment.
Thanks in advance!
Re: While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by   [#permalink] 13 May 2018, 11:11

While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap