GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 157
Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2010, 15:42
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

86% (00:27) correct 14% (00:22) wrong based on 69 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sheep, though essentially easy prey for wolves, are not usually attacked by them. In Hylantia prior to 1910, farmers nevertheless lost considerable numbers of sheep to wolves each year. Attributing this to the large number for wolves, in 1910 the government began offering rewards to hunters for killing wolves. From 1910 to 1915, large numbers of wolves were killed. Yet wolf attacks on sheep increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in wolf attacks on sheep?


(A) Populations of deer and other wild animals that wolves typically prey on increased significantly in numbers from 1910 to 1915.

(B) Prior to 1910, there were no legal restrictions in Hylantia on the hunting of wolves.

(C) After 1910 hunters shot and wounded a substantial number of wolves, thereby greatly diminishing these wolves' ability to prey on wild animals.

(D) Domestic sheep are significantly less able than most wild animals to defend themselves against wolf attacks.

(E) The systematic hunting of wolves encouraged by the program drove many wolves in Hylantia to migrate to remote mountain areas uninhabited by humans.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I get the logic!!
how can the explanation provided justifies the increase of attacks?

thanks,

Attachment:
Q30.jpg
Q30.jpg [ 83.3 KiB | Viewed 4268 times ]
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 55
Re: Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2010, 02:14
MontrealLady wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure if I get the logic!!
how can the explanation provided justifies the increase of attacks?

thanks,


Yes, answer'C' des provide explanation. Wolfes injured by humans are less able to prey on other wild animals to feed upon, as argument says sheeps are easy attack, they would ted to attack sheeps more in order to stay alive. ence explains the reason.' 'D' is reiteration of argument we already know seeps are easy attacks for wolfes. 'E' weakens argument by saying govt program is showing the results.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 731
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Re: Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 12:00
I got this question correct. Yes, C is the correct as we need to find the reason for the stated paradox (..., yet...).
_________________

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Re: Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 14:45
The only thing that can show the increase in attacks on sheep is wolves got injured and they cannot attack the wild animals. Hence they started to attack more sheep since they are easy to prey.

Hence the correct answer choice is C. Thank you.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 726
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 22:38
:-D Makes sense.

Lesson- never attack substantial number of wolves LOL.

amp0201 wrote:
The only thing that can show the increase in attacks on sheep is wolves got injured and they cannot attack the wild animals. Hence they started to attack more sheep since they are easy to prey.

Hence the correct answer choice is C. Thank you.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Time to apply!
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 125
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2011, 04:51
Marked C...
But B is a trap I felt ... :) took some time to decide between b and c... but finally marked c :)
_________________

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 53698
Re: Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 05:58
MontrealLady wrote:
Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sheep, though essentially easy prey for wolves, are not usually attacked by them. In Hylantia prior to 1910, farmers nevertheless lost considerable numbers of sheep to wolves each year. Attributing this to the large number for wolves, in 1910 the government began offering rewards to hunters for killing wolves. From 1910 to 1915, large numbers of wolves were killed. Yet wolf attacks on sheep increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in wolf attacks on sheep?


(A) Populations of deer and other wild animals that wolves typically prey on increased significantly in numbers from 1910 to 1915.

(B) Prior to 1910, there were no legal restrictions in Hylantia on the hunting of wolves.

(C) After 1910 hunters shot and wounded a substantial number of wolves, thereby greatly diminishing these wolves' ability to prey on wild animals.

(D) Domestic sheep are significantly less able than most wild animals to defend themselves against wolf attacks.

(E) The systematic hunting of wolves encouraged by the program drove many wolves in Hylantia to migrate to remote mountain areas uninhabited by humans.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I get the logic!!
how can the explanation provided justifies the increase of attacks?

thanks,

Attachment:
Q30.jpg



OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/wolves-gener ... 33936.html
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2019, 05:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sh

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.