It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42544

Kudos [?]: 135256 [0], given: 12679

y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2016, 12:57
Expert's post
14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:22) correct 60% (01:52) wrong based on 176 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k are integers, what is the least value of b?

A. 0
B. –32
C. –255
D. –256
E. –257
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135256 [0], given: 12679

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2015
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 05:15
Bunuel wrote:
y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k are integers, what is the least value of b?

A. 0
B. –32
C. –255
D. –256
E. –257


Since value of a is positive, parabola opens in upward direction.Therefore,
x co-ordinate of parabola vertex = -b/2a
(h+k)/2=-b/2a
a=1 so,
h+k=-b so,
b=-(h+k)
IMO Option E

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 105 [3], given: 6

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 14:56
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If we were to factor \(x^2+bx+256 =0\) we would get

\((x-h)(x-k)=0\), where h and k are the roots of the equation (as given - "...cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0)").

So (-h)*(-k) = 256 and -h-k = b

Possible combinations for h and k are the factor pairs of 256:
1, 256
2, 128
4, 64
etc...

And also the negative of these pairs.
-1, -256
-2, -128
etc.

We can see that to have the smallest value of h+k, they must be -1 and -256

Therefore the lowest value of b = -1-256 = -257

Answer: E
_________________

Dave de Koos
GMAT aficionado

Kudos [?]: 105 [3], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2016
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2016, 22:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
As the curve cuts the x-axis at (h,0) and (k,0). Therefore h,k are the roots of the quadratic equation.

For the quadratic equation is in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0,

The product of the roots =c/a= 256/1=256 and the sum of the roots = -b/a=-b

256 can be expressed as product of two numbers in the following ways:
1 * 256
2 * 128
4 * 64
8 * 32
16 * 16
The sum of the roots is maximum when the roots are 1 and 256 and the maximum sum is 1 + 256 = 257.

The least value possible for b is therefore -257.

Answer " E

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2014
Posts: 138

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

Schools: Tepper '18
Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 04:34
AshokGmat2016 wrote:
As the curve cuts the x-axis at (h,0) and (k,0). Therefore h,k are the roots of the quadratic equation.

For the quadratic equation is in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0,

The product of the roots =c/a= 256/1=256 and the sum of the roots = -b/a=-b

256 can be expressed as product of two numbers in the following ways:
1 * 256
2 * 128
4 * 64
8 * 32
16 * 16
The sum of the roots is maximum when the roots are 1 and 256 and the maximum sum is 1 + 256 = 257.

The least value possible for b is therefore -257.

Answer " E


I know this is rather a simple question but i am having trouble understanding the basic concepts. Can someone please elaborate??

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5336

Kudos [?]: 6088 [0], given: 121

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 05:17
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MeghaP wrote:
AshokGmat2016 wrote:
As the curve cuts the x-axis at (h,0) and (k,0). Therefore h,k are the roots of the quadratic equation.

For the quadratic equation is in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0,

The product of the roots =c/a= 256/1=256 and the sum of the roots = -b/a=-b

256 can be expressed as product of two numbers in the following ways:
1 * 256
2 * 128
4 * 64
8 * 32
16 * 16
The sum of the roots is maximum when the roots are 1 and 256 and the maximum sum is 1 + 256 = 257.

The least value possible for b is therefore -257.

Answer " E


I know this is rather a simple question but i am having trouble understanding the basic concepts. Can someone please elaborate??


Hi,

let me try to explain it to you..

y = x^2 + bx + 256..
when we say the curve cuts the x-axis at (h,0) and (k,0), it means h and k are the roots of equation since here y is 0
x^2 + bx + 256 = 0...
We can see both (h,0) and (k,0) have y as 0, which converts the equation y = x^2 + bx + 256.. as x^2 + bx + 256 = 0...

for a quadratic equation, ax^2+bx+c=0, the product of its roots are c/a and sum= -b/a..
here a=1, b=b and c=256
so here product= hk=c=256..
sum= -b =h+k
sice we are looking for the max sum, so as to have least b, we take h and k as 256 and 1..
P=256*1=256
so SUM = -b= 256+1=257
so b=-257
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6088 [0], given: 121

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
D
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5336

Kudos [?]: 6088 [0], given: 121

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 05:20
davedekoos wrote:
If we were to factor \(x^2+bx+256 =0\) we would get

\((x-h)(x-k)=0\), where h and k are the roots of the equation (as given - "...cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0)").

So (-h)*(-k) = 256 and -h-k = b

Possible combinations for h and k are the factor pairs of 256:
1, 256
2, 128
4, 64
etc...

And also the negative of these pairs.
-1, -256
-2, -128
etc.

We can see that to have the smallest value of h+k, they must be -1 and -256

Therefore the lowest value of b = -1-256 = -257

Answer: E


Hi,
you have gone wrong in coloured portion..
For lowest value we require MAX sum as SUM= -b/a
so h and k will be 1 and 256 and not -1 and -256
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6088 [0], given: 121

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2014
Posts: 138

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

Schools: Tepper '18
Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 05:27
chetan2u wrote:
MeghaP wrote:
AshokGmat2016 wrote:
As the curve cuts the x-axis at (h,0) and (k,0). Therefore h,k are the roots of the quadratic equation.

For the quadratic equation is in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0,

The product of the roots =c/a= 256/1=256 and the sum of the roots = -b/a=-b

256 can be expressed as product of two numbers in the following ways:
1 * 256
2 * 128
4 * 64
8 * 32
16 * 16
The sum of the roots is maximum when the roots are 1 and 256 and the maximum sum is 1 + 256 = 257.

The least value possible for b is therefore -257.

Answer " E


I know this is rather a simple question but i am having trouble understanding the basic concepts. Can someone please elaborate??


Hi,

let me try to explain it to you..

y = x^2 + bx + 256..
when we say the curve cuts the x-axis at (h,0) and (k,0), it means h and k are the roots of equation since here y is 0
x^2 + bx + 256 = 0...
We can see both (h,0) and (k,0) have y as 0, which converts the equation y = x^2 + bx + 256.. as x^2 + bx + 256 = 0...

for a quadratic equation, ax^2+bx+c=0, the product of its roots are c/a and sum= -b/a..
here a=1, b=b and c=256
so here product= hk=c=256..
sum= -b =h+k
sice we are looking for the max sum, so as to have least b, we take h and k as 256 and 1..
P=256*1=256
so SUM = -b= 256+1=257
so b=-257



Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 616

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 6

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 06:45
chetan2u wrote:
davedekoos wrote:
If we were to factor \(x^2+bx+256 =0\) we would get

\((x-h)(x-k)=0\), where h and k are the roots of the equation (as given - "...cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0)").

So (-h)*(-k) = 256 and -h-k = b

Possible combinations for h and k are the factor pairs of 256:
1, 256
2, 128
4, 64
etc...

And also the negative of these pairs.
-1, -256
-2, -128
etc.

We can see that to have the smallest value of h+k, they must be -1 and -256

Therefore the lowest value of b = -1-256 = -257

Answer: E


Hi,
you have gone wrong in coloured portion..
For lowest value we require MAX sum as SUM= -b/a
so h and k will be 1 and 256 and not -1 and -256


Yes thank you for pointing that out!

I should have written that b=-(h+k), and therefore to minimize b we must maximize (h+k), and therefore the the values must be 1 and 256. I knew what I was doing, I just wrote it out wrong. :)

Cheers
_________________

Dave de Koos
GMAT aficionado

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Sep 2017
Posts: 14

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 12:55
To the line cut x axis at 2 points, the equation: x^2 + bx +256 = 0 have 2 roots:
From the stimulus, 2 roots are integer => the sum of roots = -b/a = -b integer and the product of roots = c/a = 256 ( theory of equation of degree 2)
It means : h+k = -b; hk = 256
=> the least value of b are equivalent to h+k is the least, or -1 and -256
=> b= -257

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 49

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 7

CAT Tests
y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 04:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Simplest Solution.

Since 2 roots exist, \(b^2 - 4ac >0\)
\(b^2 - 32^2>0\)
b>32 & b<-32

Least value among the options is -257.
At this value h and k would be 1 & 256. (both integers)


E.
_________________

_________________________________________
Please Kudos, if you found this post helpful.

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 7

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Oct 2017
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 10:11
Abhishiek wrote:
Simplest Solution.

Since 2 roots exist, \(b^2 - 4ac >0\)
\(b^2 - 32^2>0\)
b>32 & b<-32

Least value among the options is -257.
At this value h and k would be 1 & 256. (both integers)


E.

That's the best solution. Kudos to you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 10:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

y = x^2 + bx + 256 cuts the x axis at (h, 0) and (k, 0). If h and k ar

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.