GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 Jan 2020, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Yale SOM vs McDonough ($$) vs UNC (Full Ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which one should I choose?

• 57% [11]
  • 10% [2]
  • 31% [6]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Yale SOM vs McDonough ($$) vs UNC (Full Ride)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Apr 2019, 22:05
Got into Yale SOM(no money), UNC (Fellowship + Full Ride) and McDonough ($100K), and BU (Full Ride)

An international student from China with bachelor degree of accounting. Have been working in commercial bank for 7 years. Current plan after MBA would be finance industry in east coast or Chicago.
Some concerns about the three options:
1. If choose SOM, will have to get a loan about $150K, quite a burden.
2. Considering the uncertainty of the U.S. visa situation, might have to look for jobs out of U.S. In this case, the school's international reputation will play an important role.
3. It would be less expensive to go to McDonough, wonder if the school is strong in finance . Heard there are not many job opportunities for international students in D.C. (not sure if that's true). Also if need to look for jobs in other countries or go back to China, the brand might not be as helpful as Yale.
4. UNC Provides the best package. However, have concerns about the job opportunities for international students and again the brand's international reputation.

Hope to get some suggestions from you guys.
Thanks!

Originally posted by gtermba on 03 Apr 2019, 20:25.
Last edited by gtermba on 03 Apr 2019, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
RC Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM vs McDonough ($$) vs UNC (Full Ride)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 20:51
Hello gtermba ..... welcome to the community.

From the international brand value perspective, Yale is way ahead than the others you have mentioned.
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 21:46
gtermba wrote:
Got into Yale SOM(no money), UNC (Fellowship + Full Ride) and McDonough ($100K), and BU (Full Ride)

An international student from China with bachelor degree of accounting. Have been working in commercial bank for 7 years. Current plan after MBA would be finance industry in east coast or Chicago.
Some concerns about the three options:
1. If choose SOM, will have to get a loan about $150K, quite a burden. (especially if plan to have a family and kid not too long after MBA study)
2. Considering the uncertainty of the U.S. visa situation, might have to look for jobs out of U.S. In this case, the school's international reputation will play an important role.
3. It would be less expensive to go to McDonough, wonder if the school is strong in finance . Heard there are not many job opportunities for international students in D.C. (not sure if that's true). Also if need to look for jobs in other countries or go back to China, the brand might not be as helpful as Yale.
4. UNC Provides the best package. However, have concerns about the job opportunities for international students and again the brand's international reputation.

Hope to get some suggestions from you guys.
Thanks!

Yale SOM's brand power in China is immense. As an international student who speaks Mandarin fluently, I felt like if I wanted to, I could easily get a solid post-MBA job in China if I wanted to. I've also had recruiters / headhunters come to me with opportunities to interview with buy side and top tech firms in China - I was pretty blown away to be honest, since I never initiated any of these conversations.

I mention this because a plan B would serve you as well since the USCIS's tightening on visa policies have really gotten companies to clamp down on their international hiring. Some of these jobs in China or HK (if you're open to that) will still be around US pay-grade, if not better in some cases.

I think you will be served best reaching out to the Greater China Club and talk to some of the current students or alumni who recruited for finance roles in the east coast. I can't speak much to it since I was focused on finding a tech gig in the bay area.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 22:36
gtermba wrote:
1. If choose SOM, will have to get a loan about $150K, quite a burden.

In my opinion, this is definitely a two-horse race between SOM and K-F. I wouldn't go to McDonough or Questrom.

I usually tell people to follow the money, but sometimes I think there are specific and compelling reasons to pay more for particular programs. This may be the case for you. I don't think you can go wrong with a FREE top 20 MBA at UNC even if you do end up having to recruit internationally...but Yale would be really, really hard to pass up considering the above bolded points.

I think if I were in your shoes and didn't already have a family, I'd pick Yale. If I were in your shoes and did have dependents, I would avoid the debt and go to K-F.

Good luck with the decision!
Current Student
S
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 05:40
I agree with teleste. I would not consider Georgetown or BU. This is between Yale and UNC. I think there is some validity between the uncertainty in the job market. I really think passing up a free top 20 MBA experience at UNC is hard to pass up. UNC places very well in financial services and has a decent reach on the east coast. Yale brand of course is if IVY but you can still accomplish your goals from UNC. My advice: take the full and free UNC package and graduate debt free with a solid mba name on your resume.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 16:16
Wilch wrote:

Yale SOM's brand power in China is immense. As an international student who speaks Mandarin fluently, I felt like if I wanted to, I could easily get a solid post-MBA job in China if I wanted to. I've also had recruiters / headhunters come to me with opportunities to interview with buy side and top tech firms in China - I was pretty blown away to be honest, since I never initiated any of these conversations.

I mention this because a plan B would serve you as well since the USCIS's tightening on visa policies have really gotten companies to clamp down on their international hiring. Some of these jobs in China or HK (if you're open to that) will still be around US pay-grade, if not better in some cases.

I think you will be served best reaching out to the Greater China Club and talk to some of the current students or alumni who recruited for finance roles in the east coast. I can't speak much to it since I was focused on finding a tech gig in the bay area.

Thank you for your reply! Will definitely try to contact the current students for more information.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 16:25
teleste wrote:
In my opinion, this is definitely a two-horse race between SOM and K-F. I wouldn't go to McDonough or Questrom.

I usually tell people to follow the money, but sometimes I think there are specific and compelling reasons to pay more for particular programs. This may be the case for you. I don't think you can go wrong with a FREE top 20 MBA at UNC even if you do end up having to recruit internationally...but Yale would be really, really hard to pass up considering the above bolded points.

I think if I were in your shoes and didn't already have a family, I'd pick Yale. If I were in your shoes and did have dependents, I would avoid the debt and go to K-F.

Good luck with the decision!

Thank you very much for your suggestions and analysis!
Yale sounds like a financial pain in the short term, but may be better for the long run.
I agree K-F is a better business school than McDonough and Questrom. Wondering if the location would make it harder for job searching, comparing to big cities, such as D.C. and Boston. That is probably one of the reasons I put McDonough before K-F, although not sure D.C. provides many opportunities for international students.
Intern
Intern
B
Yale SOM vs McDonough ($$) vs UNC (Full Ride)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 16:32
woody93 wrote:
I agree with teleste. I would not consider Georgetown or BU. This is between Yale and UNC. I think there is some validity between the uncertainty in the job market. I really think passing up a free top 20 MBA experience at UNC is hard to pass up. UNC places very well in financial services and has a decent reach on the east coast. Yale brand of course is if IVY but you can still accomplish your goals from UNC. My advice: take the full and free UNC package and graduate debt free with a solid mba name on your resume.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you!
To be honest, if the visa situation is not based on "lottery", would prefer the free package, especially it's also a very solid program.
However, when part of the future depends on luck, the uncertainty just make it harder.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 17:31
This is Yale vs UNC, no reason to consider Georgetown or BU considering their strength/money.

You already know the pros and cons. If you have dean's fellowship type deal at UNC, I'd go there. I honestly believe that as an international, lowering your loan would be vital should you have to go back to China where pay might be substantially lower than U.S. Although, it seems like there are positions that pay same or better than U.S. per Wilch. I don't think one choice is a clear winner though. Choosing Yale has its own benefit and reason. I'm just debt averse. I think in a way "If I have to pay more, I need substantial reason." Might be because of my family/friend history of loan killing people. But, I think you're fine with Yale as well.!
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 17:47
ket310 wrote:
This is Yale vs UNC, no reason to consider Georgetown or BU considering their strength/money.

You already know the pros and cons. If you have dean's fellowship type deal at UNC, I'd go there. I honestly believe that as an international, lowering your loan would be vital should you have to go back to China where pay might be substantially lower than U.S. Although, it seems like there are positions that pay same or better than U.S. per Wilch. I don't think one choice is a clear winner though. Choosing Yale has its own benefit and reason. I'm just debt averse. I think in a way "If I have to pay more, I need substantial reason." Might be because of my family/friend history of loan killing people. But, I think you're fine with Yale as well.!

Based on what I've heard Didi Chuxing were paying ~$180K all in for MBAs. I've heard of people getting between $130-140K base with Alibaba. I heard MBB is a tad lower than the US, though not by much at about ~$170K. BB IB in Hong Kong pays quite a bit, with some banks even paying more than NYC before tax and especially after tax (keep in mind HK has a flat 15% tax).

These companies recruit out of Yale SOM for sure, I'm not so sure about your other options, you'll need to check with the students / alumni there.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Yale SOM vs McDonough ($$) vs UNC (Full Ride)   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2019, 17:47

Yale SOM vs McDonough ($$) vs UNC (Full Ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste