GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 17:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Yale SOM ($) vs Ross ($$) vs Fuqua ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school to choose?

• 23% [9]
  • 15% [6]
  • 60% [23]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Yale SOM ($) vs Ross ($$) vs Fuqua ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2020, 15:35
This decision is harder than expected. What would you guys choose?

Background: International, will be recruiting for tech.

What I'm thinking ATM: No idea. I'm lost. All three choices have their Pros and Cons, and I need some help deciding!

Fuqua:
Pros: Strong tech recruitment, Durham is warm
Cons: No GND, not as many alumni in Tech as Ross, historically not a T10 program

Ross:
Pros: Very strong tech recruitment, souvik101990 has been an amazing ambassadaor for the program, GND, lots of alumni in Tech, consistently in T10
Cons: AA is cold, slightly lesser international recognition than Duke and lot less international recognition than Yale

Yale SOM:
Pros: Strong brand (yes, I know the strength of the brand comes from the parent uni and not the Business school, but it's a brand that resonates back in Europe where MBA's are rare anyway), surprisingly strong Tech recruiting (big Tech consider SOM as peer school to Fuqua and Ross for recruiting), 2Y's can take literally any electives, GND*
Cons: NH is cold as well, will be slightly more expensive than the other two, not many alumni in the tech sector (but enough in big Tech, which is my target. + larger Yale community is very helpful)

Tagging bb and souvik101990 for your inputs!

Thank you!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM ($) vs Ross ($$) vs Fuqua ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2020, 16:42
Congratulations! Awesome job!

Fuqua, Ross, and Yale are considered strongly peer schools in the US. There are years when one is rated higher than the other and it is a bit of the same picture and feeling you have :)

While Yale is a strong international name, it does not seem to have a STEM certificate which both Fuqua and Ross do have... at least not yet that I am aware of it https://gmatclub.com/forum/stem-designa ... 13573.html while I think Yale will make that list, I am not sure it is really worth it without STEM and without equal scholarship, which i feel if that's where your heart desire lies, you have a strong case to at least get a match https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

That would push me towards Fuqua or Ross in that case (sorry - not what you wanted to hear perhaps).
S
Yale SOM ($) vs Ross ($$) vs Fuqua ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2020, 02:48
bb wrote:
Congratulations! Awesome job!

Fuqua, Ross, and Yale are considered strongly peer schools in the US. There are years when one is rated higher than the other and it is a bit of the same picture and feeling you have :)

While Yale is a strong international name, it does not seem to have a STEM certificate which both Fuqua and Ross do have... at least not yet that I am aware of it https://gmatclub.com/forum/stem-designa ... 13573.html while I think Yale will make that list, I am not sure it is really worth it without STEM and without equal scholarship, which i feel if that's where your heart desire lies, you have a strong case to at least get a match https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

That would push me towards Fuqua or Ross in that case (sorry - not what you wanted to hear perhaps).

Thank you for your input, bb ! To be honest, I'm skeptical of the STEM certification. Since it only impacts OPT Extensions and not the regular 12 month OPT, we will only know if it actually makes a difference in a year (or two). There are conflicting views floating around.
Banking, consulting, Tech, a few LDP's - these are the industries that are open to hiring internationals for jobs in the US. Almost none of the MBA jobs in these industries are STEM - why would the USCIS approve such STEM extension requests? As per USCIS itself (https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-st ... t/stem-opt),

Quote:
While employers may rely on their existing training programs or policies to satisfy the requirements relating to performance evaluation and oversight and supervision, the student’s Training Plan must nevertheless be customized for the individual student. For instance, every Training Plan must describe the direct relationship between the STEM OPT opportunity and the student’s qualifying STEM degree, as well as the relationship between the STEM OPT opportunity and the student’s goals and objectives for work-based learning.

Direct relationship between a PM-T/Strategy Consulting/IB/Corp. Finance/LDP's with the qualifying STEM degree (which is in this case the data analytics heavy concentration in most programs)? It'd take a very creative lawyer to drum up such a training plan.

From MIT's International student office (https://iso.mit.edu/immigration/emp_f1_stem_opt.shtml), this bit stands out (highlighted bright red on the website) -

Quote:
Off-Campus Employment (including STEM OPT Extension) Must be Directly Related to MIT Degree Field of Study
F-1 visa regulations require all authorized off-campus employment be "directly related to the student's major area of study" and an integral part of the student's established curriculum [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)], in addition to other criteria.
The U.S Department of Homeland Security reviews employment by international students with great scrutiny, and therefore all activity must be directly related to the student's major field of study for the degree earned at MIT.
USDHS, on September 30, 2019, issued Policy Guidance re-affirming this requirement and their additional focus on this issue, including a new requirement that ISO Advisors review employment under CPT/OPT/STEM OPT Extension to confirm it meets these requirements. The ISO had seen additional scrutiny even before this Policy Guidance -- with student visa applications at US Embassies/Consulates, as well as applications for employment authorizations and Change of Status (including H-1B and Green Card) with USCIS, be delayed with questions about direct relationship to degree. Students must take great care to be sure the position being pursued under CPT, OPT, or STEM OPT requires their specific degree program and is an application of that degree (not just general concepts or one course taken during a degree program). The ISO addresses this requirement further in our Employment webpages and in our Employment Information Sessions. Please feel free to contact your ISO Advisor if you have questions about an internship/training/employment being directly related to your degree field of study.

Could it possibly be a case of FOMO from the universities and an easy way to get internationals who are attracted by the "24 additional months of OPT" narrative that's been touted? I'm not 100% sure it is, but I'm not sure it's not too.

Anyway, if both STEM and scholarships were removed from the decision making process, would your recommendation change?
Current Student
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2020, 15:29
This is a real tough one. Plenty of pros/cons in all options.
Given the way you have written the question, seems like your heart wants to go to Yale but your head is wondering if Ross or Duke might be better for overall career.

In such a situation I generally fall back on Jeff Bezos' mantra of "minimizing regret". Which makes me think you should go to Yale.
I think tech recruiting will figure itself out, and it is less prestige/alumni dependent than some other industries (people from 15-30 rank schools regularly become PMs in Google, Amazon etc)

If you go to Duke/Ross and don't get tech, you'll keep thinking about Yale.
If you go to Yale and you don't get tech, at least you'd be happy about going to Yale.
Although overall I think you'll be fine at either of the 3 schools.

TL;DR - go to Yale. The heart wants what the heart wants... and in this case the logical differences are not material.
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2020, 02:21
stoiczoan wrote:
This is a real tough one. Plenty of pros/cons in all options.
Given the way you have written the question, seems like your heart wants to go to Yale but your head is wondering if Ross or Duke might be better for overall career.

In such a situation I generally fall back on Jeff Bezos' mantra of "minimizing regret". Which makes me think you should go to Yale.
I think tech recruiting will figure itself out, and it is less prestige/alumni dependent than some other industries (people from 15-30 rank schools regularly become PMs in Google, Amazon etc)

If you go to Duke/Ross and don't get tech, you'll keep thinking about Yale.
If you go to Yale and you don't get tech, at least you'd be happy about going to Yale.
Although overall I think you'll be fine at either of the 3 schools.

TL;DR - go to Yale. The heart wants what the heart wants... and in this case the logical differences are not material.

Thank you, stoiczoan. Valuable advice there! I looked into the Minimizing Regret Framework, and that's exactly what I need at this moment to make a decision.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Yale SOM ($) vs Ross ($$) vs Fuqua ($$)   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2020, 02:21

Yale SOM ($) vs Ross ($$) vs Fuqua ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate