GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

POST MBA Career from IT services to Product management

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
POST MBA Career from IT services to Product management  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 06:16
I have 8 years experience in IT. I worked for SAP BW &SAP HANA in application development and support. I am planning to do an MBA to gain some business knowledge and general management skills.
GMAT - 750

Do I have a chance to get a PRODUCT MANAGER role after executive MBA from top schools such as IIM B or ISB??
Manager
Manager
B
Re: POST MBA Career from IT services to Product management  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 07:10
Product managers are answerable for the success of a product. Product managers requires skills such as negotiation and analytical skills, this skills can be developed through education and practice.

MBA - Product Management?

Mostly MBA programs are intended for investment banking, consulting, marketing, human resource and business operations, whereas product management is comparatively new career, apart from MBA there are many other courses that actually teach product management course, though some business schools do not offer MBA in product management, and I think MBA is not mandate requirement to become a product manager, there are some product managers who became (PM’s) without MBA background, i would suggest you to do some research and enquire with management people so that you will get some information.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 22:32
What companies and locations are you targeting?

At Google and Facebook in the U.S. (West Coast) at least, I haven't come across any Product Managers from IIM or ISB. HBS, Stanford, Haas, Sloan, and Booth are the schools that I commonly come across.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 03:51
swbluedevil wrote:

At Google and Facebook in the U.S. (West Coast) at least, I haven't come across any Product Managers from IIM or ISB. HBS, Stanford, Haas, Sloan, and Booth are the schools that I commonly come across.

Hi swbluedevil,

My primary target schools are IIMs - A and B. In India, IIM students can land a job in Product management. I have also tried to connect with such profiles on Linkedin, but I haven't received satisfactory responses. I want to know more about the transition, and what challenges I will face as part of that transition. How realistic is my expectation?

You can answer my questions based on what you have seen in US. I am not particularly concerned about the schools, but the transition itself. With a background like mine, have you come across anyone who went on to become a Product manager after an MBA?

Thanks in advance,
Bharawdaj Sangaraju
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 15:02
Thanks - I do come across a fair number of engineer / IT + MBA folks who are in product management. While an MBA isn't required for product management and not all PMs have an MBA, some may find it useful to augment their engineering or technical experience with more business-related skills such as strategy, marketing, negotiations, organizational behavior, etc. Furthermore, there are very well established pipelines from MBA programs to large tech companies and startups for PMs.

If you're targeting IIMs, then you may experience some difficulty in landing a PM job in well-known companies in the U.S. This may be related to visas / work authorization restrictions, but I have yet to come across any PMs from Google or FB with an MBA from IIM. In some respects, this makes sense - product management is a fairly hot field in business schools, so I would imagine companies can be fairly selective in who they choose. And it simply may be easier to extend offers to U.S.-based MBA students who already have work authorization to work in the U.S.

It might be helpful for you to dig into the career placement reports for the IIMs you're interested in to see if they are successfully placing PM outside of India (presuming that is what you are interested in).

sangarajubharadwaj wrote:
swbluedevil wrote:

Hi swbluedevil,

My primary target schools are IIMs - A and B. In India, IIM students can land a job in Product management. I have also tried to connect with such profiles on Linkedin, but I haven't received satisfactory responses. I want to know more about the transition, and what challenges I will face as part of that transition. How realistic is my expectation?

You can answer my questions based on what you have seen in US. I am not particularly concerned about the schools, but the transition itself. With a background like mine, have you come across anyone who went on to become a Product manager after an MBA?

Thanks in advance,
Bharawdaj Sangaraju
Re: POST MBA Career from IT services to Product management &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 15:02

POST MBA Career from IT services to Product management

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap