Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 13:25 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 13:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 25 May 2021
Posts: 263
Own Kudos [?]: 1102 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Tutor
Joined: 11 Aug 2023
Posts: 1020
Own Kudos [?]: 1999 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 02 Nov 2020
Posts: 104
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 865
Location: India
Schools: Yale '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 220 Q2 V2
Send PM
Tutor
Joined: 11 Aug 2023
Posts: 1020
Own Kudos [?]: 1999 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shadyshades wrote:
@MartyMurray In third option, why did you consider amount of time on the ice per game as an average time on the ice per game ? Though answer is correct (Inconsistent) in either of the choices, I marked Incosistent solely based on the logic that we were given average time and not time. 

Please correct me if i am wrong.

­The wording "per game" basically subsumes the concept of average. After all, in this context, "time per game" does not mean the exact time played in each game. It names a single time that is the average time the player was in a game.

It may help to consider another example, the concept of "per capita income." That term is synonymous with "the average income per person" even though it doesn't include the word "average."

Also, notice that "TOI/G" stands for "time on ice per game," once again not including the word "average."

So, we can safely decide that "amount of time on the ice per game" refers to the values in the column labeled "TOI/G."
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Jun 2022
Posts: 41
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Location: India
Send PM
Re: 20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
Quote:
 
­2008–2009 Kontinental Hockey League
Regular Season Scoring Leaders


NameTeamGP^1A^2PIM^3TOI/G^4
Brendl, PavelTorpedo56154816:03
Dallman, KevinBarys533013725:17
Glazachev, KonstantinBarys56243020:13
Hossa, MarcelDinamo522211819:24
Jágr, JaromírAvangard55286217:52
Korolyuk, AlexanderAtlant56323215:23
Marek, JanMetallurg53376218:44
Mårtensson, TonyAK55352217:00
Morozov, AlekseyAK49392218:42
Mozyakin, SergeiAtlant56421418:50
Perezhogin, AlexanderSalavat55243217:10
Pirnes, EsaAtlant51288418:26
Radivojevič, BrankoSpartak49268617:18
Radulov, AlexanderSalavat52269216:59
Spiridonov, MaximBarys49263617:24
Sushinski, MaximSKA48278318:18
Tereschenko, AlexeiSalavat55292218:31
Yashin, AlexeiLokomotiv56263017:18
Zaripov, DanisAK56312618:10


1. GP-Games played
2. A-Assists
3. PIM-Penalties in minutes
4. TOI/G-Average time on the ice per game

For each of the following statements about the players in the table, select Consistent if it is consistent with the information in the table, and otherwise select Inconsistent


The player with the highest average time on the ice per game also had the highest penalties in minutes per game.

To see whether the same player had the highest average time on the ice per game and the highest penalties in minutes, we can sort the table by each of these statistics and see whether the same player shows up at the high end of the list in each case.

Sorting by TOI/G, we see that the player with the highest average time on the ice per game is Dallman, Kevin.

Sorting by PIM, we see that the player with the highest penalties in minutes is also Dallman, Kevin.

Select Consistent.

The player who played in the fewest games also had the most assists per game.

First, to see who played in the fewest games, sort by GP.

Doing so, we find that the player with the fewest games played is Sushinski, Maxim.

Then, to see whether Sushinski also had the most assists per game, sort by A.

Doing so, we find that a different player had the most assists, Mozyakin, Sergei.

Select Inconsistent.

Two of the listed players who played the median number of games in the season had greater than the median amount of time on the ice per game.

To find the median number of games played and the players who played that number of games, sort by GP and count to the middle value. Since there are 19 players, the median is the tenth value, which is 55.

The players who played 55 games each are Perezhogin, Alexander; Jágr, Jaromír; Tereschenko, Alexei; and Mårtensson, Tony.

Now, to find the median amount of time on the ice per game, sort by TOI/G and then count to the tenth value, which is 18:10.

Leaving that column sorted, check to see whether two of the players Perezhogin, Alexander; Jágr, Jaromír; Tereschenko, Alexei; and Mårtensson, Tony had more than 18:10 minutes on the ice per game. Doing so, we see that only one of the players, Tereschenko, Alexei, had more than 18:10 minutes on the ice per game.

Select Inconsistent.

Correct answer: Consistent, InconsistentInconsistent­

­
MartyMurray

 There are 19 players in total the median will be average of 9th and 10th entries and median doesnt relate with any specific player..is this right? Please reply.
Tutor
Joined: 11 Aug 2023
Posts: 1020
Own Kudos [?]: 1999 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: 20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
SirSanguine wrote:
MartyMurray

 There are 19 players in total the median will be average of 9th and 10th entries and median doesnt relate with any specific player..is this right? Please reply.

­Since the number of players, 19, is odd, the median is simply the middle value, which is the tenth value.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19­

Notice that there are nine values above and nine value below the tenth. So, it's dead center.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 11 Aug 2021
Posts: 62
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Goizueta '25
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
Send PM
Re: 20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
MartyMurray In this question, Penalties in Minutes is also assumed to be mentioned "per game"?
Tutor
Joined: 11 Aug 2023
Posts: 1020
Own Kudos [?]: 1999 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: 20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pratiksha1998 wrote:
MartyMurray In this question, Penalties in Minutes is also assumed to be mentioned "per game"?

­No, it's for the entire season.

In case we weren't sure, we can confirm that it is for the season by noticing that some players have high numbers for penalties in minutes, such as 137, 118, and 84. It doesn't make sense that a player would spend 137 minutes in the penalty box per game since 137 minutes is over two hours and a hockey game would not take over two hours.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 27 Aug 2021
Posts: 5
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Re: 20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
 
MartyMurray wrote:
pratiksha1998 wrote:
MartyMurray In this question, Penalties in Minutes is also assumed to be mentioned "per game"?

­No, it's for the entire season.

In case we weren't sure, we can confirm that it is for the season by noticing that some players have high numbers for penalties in minutes, such as 137, 118, and 84. It doesn't make sense that a player would spend 137 minutes in the penalty box per game since 137 minutes is over two hours and a hockey game would not take over two hours.

­Hi MartyMurray

What logic do you use to interpret the number of assists as the number of assists per game? Is this because if it represented the number of assists across the entire season, the number of assists per game would be less than one (e.g. 27/48 for Sushinski, Maxim) for all players? But this makes me wonder - if the number of assists were greater, then we'd end up with values over 1. Would appreciate your thoughts! ­
Intern
Intern
Joined: 13 Jun 2023
Posts: 12
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
MartyMurray wrote:
­2008–2009 Kontinental Hockey League
Regular Season Scoring Leaders


NameTeamGP^1A^2PIM^3TOI/G^4
Brendl, PavelTorpedo56154816:03
Dallman, KevinBarys533013725:17
Glazachev, KonstantinBarys56243020:13
Hossa, MarcelDinamo522211819:24
Jágr, JaromírAvangard55286217:52
Korolyuk, AlexanderAtlant56323215:23
Marek, JanMetallurg53376218:44
Mårtensson, TonyAK55352217:00
Morozov, AlekseyAK49392218:42
Mozyakin, SergeiAtlant56421418:50
Perezhogin, AlexanderSalavat55243217:10
Pirnes, EsaAtlant51288418:26
Radivojevič, BrankoSpartak49268617:18
Radulov, AlexanderSalavat52269216:59
Spiridonov, MaximBarys49263617:24
Sushinski, MaximSKA48278318:18
Tereschenko, AlexeiSalavat55292218:31
Yashin, AlexeiLokomotiv56263017:18
Zaripov, DanisAK56312618:10


1. GP-Games played
2. A-Assists
3. PIM-Penalties in minutes
4. TOI/G-Average time on the ice per game

For each of the following statements about the players in the table, select Consistent if it is consistent with the information in the table, and otherwise select Inconsistent


The player with the highest average time on the ice per game also had the highest penalties in minutes per game.

To see whether the same player had the highest average time on the ice per game and the highest penalties in minutes, we can sort the table by each of these statistics and see whether the same player shows up at the high end of the list in each case.

Sorting by TOI/G, we see that the player with the highest average time on the ice per game is Dallman, Kevin.

Sorting by PIM, we see that the player with the highest penalties in minutes is also Dallman, Kevin.

Select Consistent.

The player who played in the fewest games also had the most assists per game.

First, to see who played in the fewest games, sort by GP.

Doing so, we find that the player with the fewest games played is Sushinski, Maxim.

Then, to see whether Sushinski also had the most assists per game, sort by A.

Doing so, we find that a different player had the most assists, Mozyakin, Sergei.

Select Inconsistent.

Two of the listed players who played the median number of games in the season had greater than the median amount of time on the ice per game.

To find the median number of games played and the players who played that number of games, sort by GP and count to the middle value. Since there are 19 players, the median is the tenth value, which is 55.

The players who played 55 games each are Perezhogin, Alexander; Jágr, Jaromír; Tereschenko, Alexei; and Mårtensson, Tony.

Now, to find the median amount of time on the ice per game, sort by TOI/G and then count to the tenth value, which is 18:10.

Leaving that column sorted, check to see whether two of the players Perezhogin, Alexander; Jágr, Jaromír; Tereschenko, Alexei; and Mårtensson, Tony had more than 18:10 minutes on the ice per game. Doing so, we see that only one of the players, Tereschenko, Alexei, had more than 18:10 minutes on the ice per game.

Select Inconsistent.

Correct answer: Consistent, InconsistentInconsistent­

­Hey,
The second question talks about "number of assists per game" but you only consider the "number of assists" during evaluation. Both give the same answer but I just wanted to confirm if my thought process is wrong or right? number of assists per game would be assists/(number of games played).­

MartyMurray
GMAT Club Bot
20082009 Kontinental Hockey League Regular Season Scoring Leaders [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
94302 posts
DI Forum Moderator
998 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11468 posts