GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

710 (Q46, V42) GMAT - Should I retake it?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
710 (Q46, V42) GMAT - Should I retake it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 16:14
Hi everyone,

Just took the GMAT today and scored a 710 (Q46, V42). Despite working in a pretty quantitative job, I just could not conquer the quant section. Pretty disappointed with it because I got a 730 on my last GMAT Prep practice exam (I know it is not a perfect indicator, but had high hopes). As I debrief, I keep wondering - should I retake it? Here are some more things about me without revealing too much information for privacy reasons:

Undergraduate School: Top 5 undergrad business school (Wharton/Ross/MIT/NYU/Berkeley)
Undergrad GPA: 3.93/4.00
1st job: Investment Banking Analyst at a Bulge Bracket Bank
2nd job: Private Equity Associate at a Middle Market Private Equity Fund
Highlights:
- lots of managers/more senior individuals from my bank had gone to the top two business schools I am aiming to get admission to, and have offered to write recommendation letters
- strong extracurriculars during undergrad

Dream Schools:
1) Booth (UChicago)
2) Kellogg (Northwestern)
3) Wharton (Penn)
4) Harvard
5) Ross (Michigan)
6) Mendoza (Notre Dame)

Overall, is a 710 on the GMAT, in conjunction with the rest of my application, enough to get me into the 6 listed schools?

Thank you for all of the help!
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: 710 (Q46, V42) GMAT - Should I retake it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 01:32
Hello carsonel

Even though your GMAT is slightly lower than the average of the shortlisted schools, I will recommend you to re-take only if you are 100% confident of taking the score up by minimum of 30 points.
Otherwise, looking at your past school and scores, I'll say spend time on building a strong written application that brings out the business impact of your work and key achievements (which are missing in your post to give a deeper feedback)
Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

carsonel wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just took the GMAT today and scored a 710 (Q46, V42). Despite working in a pretty quantitative job, I just could not conquer the quant section. Pretty disappointed with it because I got a 730 on my last GMAT Prep practice exam (I know it is not a perfect indicator, but had high hopes). As I debrief, I keep wondering - should I retake it? Here are some more things about me without revealing too much information for privacy reasons:

Undergraduate School: Top 5 undergrad business school (Wharton/Ross/MIT/NYU/Berkeley)
Highlights:
- lots of managers/more senior individuals from my bank had gone to the top two business schools I am aiming to get admission to, and have offered to write recommendation letters

Dream Schools:
1) Booth (UChicago)
3) Wharton (Penn)
4) Harvard
5) Ross (Michigan)
6) Mendoza (Notre Dame)

Overall, is a 710 on the GMAT, in conjunction with the rest of my application, enough to get me into the 6 listed schools?

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 04:56
carsonel wrote:
Hi everyone,

Highlights:

Dream Schools:
1) Booth (UChicago)
3) Wharton (Penn)
4) Harvard
5) Ross (Michigan)
6) Mendoza (Notre Dame)

Not a professional for sure, but I dont think your Gmat score is fine when it goes along with your profile. However, If it is your first attempt, I think you can retake (in case you feel you can do better - figuring out from mock test + have time to invest in studying more for Gmat). If I were you, I might just go ahead :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 05:30
carsonel wrote:
Hi everyone,

Highlights:

Dream Schools:
1) Booth (UChicago)
3) Wharton (Penn)
4) Harvard
5) Ross (Michigan)
6) Mendoza (Notre Dame)

I'd retake it. 720 is the new 700. Sounds like you can definitely improve (esp. Quant).
Rock on!

-GettingInMBA
http://www.gettinginmba.com/free-consultation

Sincerely,
GettingInMBA - Boutique Admissions Consulting Firm
http://www.gettinginmba.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 04:28
carsonel wrote:
Hi everyone,

Highlights:

Dream Schools:
1) Booth (UChicago)
3) Wharton (Penn)
4) Harvard
5) Ross (Michigan)
6) Mendoza (Notre Dame)

It sounds to me like there is room for improvement in your case, due to that prep practice exam, so I would retake just for that, as I do think it is important to give this process all you’ve got in order to not regret anything afterwards, and I am not fully convinced you have done that yet.

That said, I do think your profile has potential to get you an admit even if you do decide not to retake, if your applications are top notch.

Could I just ask why you’ve chosen those schools listed? That could play a part, too, at least for your top choices.

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 05:02
carsonel wrote:
Hi everyone,

Highlights:

Dream Schools:
1) Booth (UChicago)
3) Wharton (Penn)
4) Harvard
5) Ross (Michigan)
6) Mendoza (Notre Dame)

Hi carsonel,

There is definitely a not working for you even with the current GMAT score :-) However, considering this was your first take and the schools you are targetting, we recommend a retake. We are confident you will be able to boost your score :-)

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 710 (Q46, V42) GMAT - Should I retake it? &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jun 2018, 05:02

710 (Q46, V42) GMAT - Should I retake it?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap