GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 01:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1
GMAT ToolKit User
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jun 2013, 02:18
7
41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:59) correct 43% (02:25) wrong based on 653 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4

Originally posted by benmtchong on 29 May 2010, 13:11.
Last edited by Bunuel on 13 Jun 2013, 02:18, edited 2 times in total.
Added the OA
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59032
Re: Pease help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2010, 13:34
20
9
overlord168 wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

a. 2
b. 2 1/2
c. 3
d 3 1/2
e. 4


2 gallon of gray paint needs \(2*\frac{3}{3+5}=2*\frac{3}{8}=\frac{3}{4}\) gallons of white paint and \(2*\frac{5}{8}=\frac{5}{4}\) gallons of black paint.

To get \(\frac{3}{4}=0.75\) gallons of white paint we should purchase at least 1 gallon of white paint;
To get \(\frac{5}{4}=1.25\) gallons of black paint we should purchase at least 1.5 gallons of black paint.

Total: 1+1.5=2.5.

Answer: B.

Hope it helps.
_________________
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 129
Location: I N D I A
Re: Pease help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2010, 02:43
Doesn't 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. play any role... plzz explain..im missing somewhere..

thanks
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59032
Re: Pease help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2010, 04:10
4
sag wrote:
Doesn't 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. play any role... plzz explain..im missing somewhere..

thanks


Gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint --> total 8 parts --> white 3/8 and black 5/8 --> 2 gallon of gray paint needs \(2*\frac{3}{8}=\frac{3}{4}\) gallons of white paint and \(2*\frac{5}{8}=\frac{5}{4}\) gallons of black paint.

Hope it's clear now.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 129
Location: I N D I A
Re: Pease help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2010, 07:08
Thanks Bunuel.. Its crystal clear now.. now even ur 1st ans to this Q explains everything very clearly...
Thanks once again... +1...
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1346
Re: Mixture Problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 08:49
2
2
TheSituation wrote:
I've been banging my head against the wall on this one... someone please give me a simple straightforward solution and assurance that it was a very difficult question lol.

A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one-gallon or half- gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?
(A) 2
(B) 2.5
(C) 3
(D) 3.5
(E) 4

OA:


white = 3/8
black = 5/8

Combine both and that equals 1 gallon

Multiply each by two to get 2 gallons

(3/8)*2 + (5/8)*2 = 2

(3/8)*2 = 6/8 = 3/4 = .75
(5/8)*2 = 10/8 = 5/4 = 1.25

You need .75 gallons of white but since it comes in 1/2 or 1 you need 1 gallon
You need 1.25 gallons of black but since it comes in 1/2 or 1 you need 1.5

1+1.5 = 2.5
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59032
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2013, 03:09
2
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 5
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2013, 09:25
1
Let one gallon be 80 liters. ( Assume smartly)

30 White +50 black = 80liters

According 2 question, we need 2 gallons i.e- 160 liters. ( multiply above equation with 2)

60W+100B=160 ltrs

Minimum gallons for 60W=1 ( 1 gallon =80 liters, 1/2=40 liters)
Minimum gallons for (80+20) B= 1+0.5=1.5
Total = 1+1.5=2.5

Ans. 2.5
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 22
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE: Engineering (Other)
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2013, 23:20
1
Given W:B = 3:5
That means say 3 gallons of white paint + 5 gallons of black paint = 8 gallons of paint mixture.
But we want least amount of white & black paints for minimum of 2 gallons of mixture, so lets reduce keeping same ratio,
1.5 : 2.5 gives 1.5 + 2.5 = 4 gallons of mixture, but we want only 2 gallons, lets further reduce
0.75: 1.25 gives 1+1.5 = 2.5 gallons of mixture. This looks ok, but lets reduce further just to be sure
0.375: 0.625 gives 0.5 + 1 = 1.5 gallons of mixture, thats less than 2 gallons of mixture, so not acceptable.
So correct ans is 2.5 gallons. B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2009
Posts: 86
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2014, 09:16
1
The mixture is made up of 3 parts white paint and 5 parts Black paint.
Hence total is 8 parts make 2 gallons of mixture.
8x = 2(gallons) ==> x = 1/4

White paint needed = 3* 1/4 =0.75. Minimum White paint needed = 1
Black Paint needed = 5* 1/4 = 1.25 Minimum Black Paint needed = 1.5

Hence Answer = 2.5. B
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Posts: 29
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 06:48
[...]in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

How can you measure 0,75 gallons if you have only buckets of 0,5 and 1 gallons?

My answer:
2 cans of 1 gallon and 1 half can of black
1 can and a half of white
result: 4 gallons!

Unless you have an other bottle (or any thing to measure), you cannot separate 0,75 gallons!
Bunuel
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59032
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 07:03
plaverbach wrote:
[...]in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

How can you measure 0,75 gallons if you have only buckets of 0,5 and 1 gallons?

My answer:
2 cans of 1 gallon and 1 half can of black
1 can and a half of white
result: 4 gallons!

Unless you have an other bottle (or any thing to measure), you cannot separate 0,75 gallons!
Bunuel


Please re-read the solution.

To get 2 gallons of gray paint we need \(\frac{3}{4}\) gallons of white paint and \(\frac{5}{4}\) gallons of black paint.

To get \(\frac{3}{4}=0.75\) gallons of white paint we should purchase at least 1 gallon of white paint;
To get \(\frac{5}{4}=1.25\) gallons of black paint we should purchase at least 1.5 gallons of black paint.

Total: 1+1.5=2.5.

Answer: B.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 263
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 06:19
benmtchong wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4


I don't like the wording of the question! There is a possibility of two solutions here..all depends o what exactly "measure out" means to say in the question..and some information that I find is missing in the question. It should be clearly stated that one can measure out exactly as much as wanted from any can(example, one can take out 0.75 liters from a 1 liter can, and so forth). In this case, 2.5 is the correct answer. But if such thing is not possible, then we would have to work exclusively with 0.5 and 1 liter cans only, in which case, 4 will be the answer. I'm not sure if my argument is ill-founded, but please, clarify. I request Bunuel to comment and also clarify, so I don't make such comprehension mistakes if I did so.
_________________
Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jan 2017
Posts: 14
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 02:40
ShashankDave wrote:
benmtchong wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4


I don't like the wording of the question! There is a possibility of two solutions here..all depends o what exactly "measure out" means to say in the question..and some information that I find is missing in the question. It should be clearly stated that one can measure out exactly as much as wanted from any can(example, one can take out 0.75 liters from a 1 liter can, and so forth). In this case, 2.5 is the correct answer. But if such thing is not possible, then we would have to work exclusively with 0.5 and 1 liter cans only, in which case, 4 will be the answer. I'm not sure if my argument is ill-founded, but please, clarify. I request Bunuel to comment and also clarify, so I don't make such comprehension mistakes if I did so.


I approached this question in the same way and made the same mistake. My assumption was that we would have to pour together the whole (1 or 1/2 gallon) cans so that we can get at least 2 liters of grey paint, which gives E as a result.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9777
Location: Pune, India
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 05:51
1
Scyzo wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
benmtchong wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4


I don't like the wording of the question! There is a possibility of two solutions here..all depends o what exactly "measure out" means to say in the question..and some information that I find is missing in the question. It should be clearly stated that one can measure out exactly as much as wanted from any can(example, one can take out 0.75 liters from a 1 liter can, and so forth). In this case, 2.5 is the correct answer. But if such thing is not possible, then we would have to work exclusively with 0.5 and 1 liter cans only, in which case, 4 will be the answer. I'm not sure if my argument is ill-founded, but please, clarify. I request Bunuel to comment and also clarify, so I don't make such comprehension mistakes if I did so.


I approached this question in the same way and made the same mistake. My assumption was that we would have to pour together the whole (1 or 1/2 gallon) cans so that we can get at least 2 liters of grey paint, which gives E as a result.


Look at the last line of the question: what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

This clarifies that you need to find the least amount of paint that you need to buy to measure out the portions needed for 2 gallons mix.
Otherwise, it would have been mentioned that you need to use the whole can.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2812
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 16:50
benmtchong wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one gallon or half gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?

A. 2
B. 2 1/2
C. 3
D. 3 1/2
E. 4


We are given that a gray pain is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. We are also given that the paint can be purchased in one- or half-gallon cans and that the total mixture is 2 gallons. We must determine the minimum number of gallons of paint of each color needed.

Our given ratio is:

w/b = 3/5 = 1.5/2.5 = 0.75/1.25

As we can see, we need to have 0.75 gallons of white paint and 1.25 gallons of black paint in order to have 2 gallons of the mixed (i.e., gray) paint. However, in order to have the 0.75 gallons of white paint, we need to purchase 1 gallon of white paint, and in order to have the 1.25 gallons of black paint, we need to purchase 1.5 gallons of black paint. Thus, we need to purchase a total of 2.5 gallons of paint.

Answer: B
_________________

Jeffrey Miller

Head of GMAT Instruction

Jeff@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Jul 2018
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 560 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 560 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.88
Problem solving--need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 01:09
1
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one-gallon or half- gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?
(A) 2
(B) 2&1/2
(C) 3
(D) 3&1/2
(E) 4
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8161
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 01:28
shard87 wrote:
A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts of white paint with 5 parts of black paint. If 2 gallons of the mixture is needed and the individual colors can be purchased only in one-gallon or half- gallon cans, what is the least amount of paint, in gallons, that must be purchased in order to measure out the portions needed for the mixture?
(A) 2
(B) 2&1/2
(C) 3
(D) 3&1/2
(E) 4


please search before posting. you are likely to get an answer every time.
If you still have a problem, please revert.
_________________
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13577
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 21:44
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2019, 21:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A certain shade of gray paint is obtained by mixing 3 parts

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne