GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Feb 2019, 14:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA ADMISSIONS INTERVIEW: On Campus Vs. Off Campus

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how On-Campus & Off-Campus interviews are structured, and when your should opt for on-campus interview. Subscribe to our Youtube channel to get notifications of upcoming videos.
  • GMAT vs GRE - Insider Insights and Tips to Help You Decide

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

12:00 PM EST

01:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school? Don't know which standardized test to take? Noodle Pros experts will discuss the nitty gritty of the GMAT vs GRE. Monday, Feb. 11th at 12 PM and 7 PM ET

A day in the life of a Tuck student

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
G
Status: No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Sales (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
A day in the life of a Tuck student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Feb 2019, 16:36

“A day in the life of a Tuck(Dartmouth) student”

Hi there, I would like to shed a light on the mysterious experience of an ordinary day of MBA student at Tuck. It is my second year in Hanover, NH. I live in Sachem village with my wife and it is truly a great place to be. Here your neighbors are your fellow classmates and it’s easy to make awesome lifelong friendships.

Let me tell you my most recent experience:

5:30AM-6:10AM
Wake up, shower, morning coffee and listening to WSJ podcast

6:10AM-7:50AM
Reviewing homework assignment for today`s class of Tools for Improving Operations

8:10AM
A Bus from Sachem Village to Tuck Circle. This is the best way to get to Tuck, especially during the winter season. Because I do not have to drive my car, and consequently to park it (Parking options are awfully inconvenient this term), pay for parking and dig my car out of the snow

8:30AM-10:15AM
I have a sometime before the classes. Usually, I spend it at Feldberg Business & Engineering Library, which frequently organizes practical training in various fields (Finance, Market Research, and Technology). Also, there is often an option to go to Business breakfast with the high profile Companies (from Top Tier Consulting and IB to Top Tech Companies)

10:15AM-11:45AM
Tools for Improving Operations with Professor Joe Hall. It is an amazing class, which I would recommend to anyone who is interested in a career in Consulting, Tech or GM. Typically we do our homework prior to class, so we come here prepared for the hot discussions.

11:45AM-13:15PM
The biggest break between the classes. I usually use it to have lunch with my friends and to make new ones, because at Tuck there is a wonderful culture of openness and sharing. It is definitely a great chance to have a Case interview mock with the students who are experienced in the field you aspire to enter. There is also an option to go to the gym since it is conveniently located on the campus.

13:15PM-14:45PM Taxes and Business Strategy with Professor Leslie A. Robinson. A super useful class for anyone who wants to open a business or to do business strategy, because it helps you to understand some sophisticated nuances of complicated Tax System in the US.

15:00PM-4:30PM Quantitative Digital Marketing with Professor Prasad Vana. It is a brand new class since it starts in 2019. We will learn Python and its business application in marketing analysis. Check it out here: http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/acade ... ve-courses

4:45PM-6:15PM Consulting Project Management with Professor Julie Lang. This is the second half winter term course. It has some great feedbacks from the last year students and is going to be practical and interactive. Seems like a lot of fun.

6:30PM-7:30PM Since today is Thursday, at Tuck we have a tradition of Tuck Tails at the Raether Atrium. It is a business school organized event for catching up with your fellow classmates and faculty. Also, an amazing opportunity just to relax, meet new people and have a drink. Because, trust me, that 4 classes for a one day, - is a significant workload.

7:30PM-9:00PM Sometimes the party from the Tuck Tails migrates to Hanover, in most cases to Murphy's which is a favorite Tuckies' place to chill out.

9:00PM Now you are finally ready to do your homework for tomorrow.

Here is the thing. You should really plan and prioritize your activities here. A lot is going on at the same time here, especially on weekends. What I know for sure is that Tuck is my home and I would never agree to be at some other BSchool.

P.S The Kudos from you will show me, that you liked the Post, which I really wanted to be helpful for future Tuckies!!!

The more we do, the more we can do.

Originally posted by Vanmotan on 04 Feb 2019, 18:16.
Last edited by Vanmotan on 05 Feb 2019, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: A day in the life of a Tuck student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 15:43
Now you are finally ready to do your homework for tomorrow.
How long does this take? Cause by the time you got home you could only fit in 8 hours of sleep
Current Student
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 15:52
Yeaahh, that is a reality at any Bschool. I usually sleep for 5-6 hours here, more on the weekends. But trust me, the life at Tuck is so energizing, that I do not feel tired ever.

Consortium Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 21:44
This makes me want to be there already... I will likely apply to sachem as well (wife is coming with). Was there anyone who applied to sachem and did not get in?

Are you already done with recruiting? Your life sounds pretty nice right now, and I am wondering if it is because there is no recruiting :)

Cheers

GMAT Debrief: 590 to 710 - 5 best tips

Current Student
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Feb 2019, 12:41
Hi energy 2pe! Congratulations on the admission!
Actually, there were some people, who did not get Sachem for the first year (Me, per example :lol: ).My advice- apply ASAP!!! I have something to compare with. If you have a choice between Sachem V and some ("nicer"/"cheaper"/"add an adjective") other places, always choose Sachem. Trust me:)
Towards recruitment: It is a dead season now, so I have a luxury just to study and hang out ;)

Originally posted by Vanmotan on 06 Feb 2019, 04:54.
Last edited by Vanmotan on 07 Feb 2019, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 05:37
Great post! This looks like so much fun. I can't wait to get the GMAT behind me!

Thanks for sharing with us GMATers.

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Current Student
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 05:40
MikeScarn wrote:
Great post! This looks like so much fun. I can't wait to get the GMAT behind me!

Thanks for sharing with us GMATers.

Hey, MikeScarn, I am glad that you liked it! It encourages me to share more!
Good luck with your GMAT, pretty sure you are going to do just great!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 09:54
Thank you for sharing these insights.

I have to admit, the day sounds quite though especially when considering the homework which is still to be completed after 9 pm.
However, the fact that you still speak very positively about the school and the experience, in general, makes it seem like a tradeoff worth making.

All the best for the future and I am crossing fingers that you don´t step straight into consulting. (If so, you will never get to regain that lost sleep ;) )

Best regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 10:31
philipssonicare wrote:
How long does this take? Cause by the time you got home you could only fit in 8 hours of sleep

I think you could probably squeeze in 8 hours, OP is getting up at 5:30 when class starts at 10:15
Current Student
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 11:22
mergerz wrote:
philipssonicare wrote:

I think you could probably squeeze in 8 hours, OP is getting up at 5:30 when class starts at 10:15

Sure, it is always up to you. At the the same time my schedule really depends on the specific day and my commitments/homework load/interviews, etc...
Per example, today I went to sleep at 3am because I had to finish the project, and got up at 8am. So, It definitely depends..

Current Student
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 11:38
Arro44 wrote:
Thank you for sharing these insights.

I have to admit, the day sounds quite though especially when considering the homework which is still to be completed after 9 pm.
However, the fact that you still speak very positively about the school and the experience, in general, makes it seem like a tradeoff worth making.

All the best for the future and I am crossing fingers that you don´t step straight into consulting. (If so, you will never get to regain that lost sleep ;) )

Best regards,
Chris

Hey, Chris! It`s totally worth it ;)
Actually, when I was writing the article, I decided to describe the experience of that specific day. But now I realize that it is easy to fall into "selection bias" while reading it. Every day is different, and the schedule also depends on the own priorities and habits. I generally like to wake up early, so that is how I manage my day:)

Thats the right remark towards consulting...Hahaha.. Thanks, Chris ;)

GMAT Club Bot
A day in the life of a Tuck student   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2019, 11:38

A day in the life of a Tuck student

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: nokia1200, AUSJ

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap