GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Nov 2018, 04:38
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (01:35) correct 34% (01:42) wrong based on 198 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?

(A) The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.

(B) Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.

(C) All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.

(D) More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.

(E) Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Originally posted by carcass on 09 Dec 2017, 16:38.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Nov 2018, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 19:33
carcass wrote:
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.

I searched the source of this question, and see that this one is from GRE.

A is clearly wrong since it weakens the argument.
B seems close. However, if B is true, then why aren't Wagner's operas performed? It could be concluded that Wagner's operas aren't popular as the argument said. B weakends the argument.
C, E contribute nothing to the argument.
D is left. However, D doesn't directly support the argument that Wagner's operas are really popular and expensive to perform. D just suggests that Wagner's operas are recently performed more frequently than those of other composer. It slightly supports the argument, but it is weak.

I think this question isn't good one.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 03:13

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups. -This is irrelevant. We are worried about Wager and not "group"
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions. -We still don't know whether Wager's opera is supported or not. Irrelevant
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years. -Irrelevant
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera. -Correct
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years. -This is close one. But option "D" is a better strengthener than this one. Out

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 12:47
Top Contributor
broall wrote:
carcass wrote:

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.

B seems close. However, if B is true, then why aren't Wagner's operas performed? It could be concluded that Wagner's operas aren't popular as the argument said. B weakends the argument.
D is left. However, D doesn't directly support the argument that Wagner's operas are really popular and expensive to perform. D just suggests that Wagner's operas are recently performed more frequently than those of other composer. It slightly supports the argument, but it is weak.

why is it not good ?? because is from GRE or because is not good per se as question ??

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 18:39
Can someone explain the conclusion of the argument above ?
Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 07:44
Shivikaa wrote:
Can someone explain the conclusion of the argument above ?
Thanks in advance.

Conclusion - Wagners' operas are still popular, they were not in top 15 only because of the high cost associated with high cost of performing Wagners' operas.

Kudos are always welcome.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 18:54
Anyone please help me, I don’t understand how D is good here. I marked C

In D, it says more works of Wagner operas are recently performed sad that means they’re not that expensive. This option for me is weakening the conclusion. On the other hand C says, recent works published are of famous ones, but they didn’t choose Wagner operas and that says they are concerned about money. So this is strengthening to me
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 21:15
Pease help me, I don’t understand how D is good here. I marked C

In D, it says more works of Wagner operas are recently performed sad that means they’re not that expensive. This option for me is weakening the conclusion. On the other hand C says, recent works published are of famous ones, but they didn’t choose Wagner operas and that says they are concerned about money. So this is strengthening to me

carcass wrote:
broall wrote:
carcass wrote:

why is it not good ?? because is from GRE or because is not good per se as question ??
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jan 2018, 21:15

A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap