GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jun 2019, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3360
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Nov 2018, 05:38
Top Contributor
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:07) correct 30% (02:25) wrong based on 271 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?


(A) The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.

(B) Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.

(C) All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.

(D) More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.

(E) Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.



_________________

Originally posted by carcass on 09 Dec 2017, 17:38.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Nov 2018, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1347
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 20:33
carcass wrote:
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.


I searched the source of this question, and see that this one is from GRE.

A is clearly wrong since it weakens the argument.
B seems close. However, if B is true, then why aren't Wagner's operas performed? It could be concluded that Wagner's operas aren't popular as the argument said. B weakends the argument.
C, E contribute nothing to the argument.
D is left. However, D doesn't directly support the argument that Wagner's operas are really popular and expensive to perform. D just suggests that Wagner's operas are recently performed more frequently than those of other composer. It slightly supports the argument, but it is weak.

I think this question isn't good one.
_________________
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1211
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 04:13
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups. -This is irrelevant. We are worried about Wager and not "group"
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions. -We still don't know whether Wager's opera is supported or not. Irrelevant
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years. -Irrelevant
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera. -Correct
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years. -This is close one. But option "D" is a better strengthener than this one. Out
_________________
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3360
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 13:47
Top Contributor
broall wrote:
carcass wrote:
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.


I searched the source of this question, and see that this one is from GRE.

A is clearly wrong since it weakens the argument.
B seems close. However, if B is true, then why aren't Wagner's operas performed? It could be concluded that Wagner's operas aren't popular as the argument said. B weakends the argument.
C, E contribute nothing to the argument.
D is left. However, D doesn't directly support the argument that Wagner's operas are really popular and expensive to perform. D just suggests that Wagner's operas are recently performed more frequently than those of other composer. It slightly supports the argument, but it is weak.

I think this question isn't good one.


why is it not good ?? because is from GRE or because is not good per se as question ??
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 31
Reviews Badge
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 19:39
Can someone explain the conclusion of the argument above ?
Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 88
Location: United States
CAT Tests
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 08:44
Shivikaa wrote:
Can someone explain the conclusion of the argument above ?
Thanks in advance.


Conclusion - Wagners' operas are still popular, they were not in top 15 only because of the high cost associated with high cost of performing Wagners' operas.
_________________
*****************************************************************
Kudos are always welcome.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 19:54
Anyone please help me, I don’t understand how D is good here. I marked C

In D, it says more works of Wagner operas are recently performed sad that means they’re not that expensive. This option for me is weakening the conclusion. On the other hand C says, recent works published are of famous ones, but they didn’t choose Wagner operas and that says they are concerned about money. So this is strengthening to me
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 17
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 22:15
Pease help me, I don’t understand how D is good here. I marked C

In D, it says more works of Wagner operas are recently performed sad that means they’re not that expensive. This option for me is weakening the conclusion. On the other hand C says, recent works published are of famous ones, but they didn’t choose Wagner operas and that says they are concerned about money. So this is strengthening to me



carcass wrote:
broall wrote:
carcass wrote:
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.


I searched the source of this question, and see that this one is from GRE.

A is clearly wrong since it weakens the argument.
B seems close. However, if B is true, then why aren't Wagner's operas performed? It could be concluded that Wagner's operas aren't popular as the argument said. B weakends the argument.
C, E contribute nothing to the argument.
D is left. However, D doesn't directly support the argument that Wagner's operas are really popular and expensive to perform. D just suggests that Wagner's operas are recently performed more frequently than those of other composer. It slightly supports the argument, but it is weak.

I think this question isn't good one.


why is it not good ?? because is from GRE or because is not good per se as question ??
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 06:40
broall wrote:
carcass wrote:
A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times includes no works by the nineteenth- century German composer Richard Wagner. Although music producers tend to produce what audiences want, relative infrequency of performance probably does not indicate lack of popularity in Wagner's case, since Wagner's operas are notoriously expensive to perform on stage.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)The list of most frequently performed operas does not include operas produced by small amateur groups.
(B)Some opera companies are backed by patrons who are willing to commit large sums of money in order to enjoy lavish productions.
(C)All of the fifteen most frequently performed operas of recent times are works that have been popular for at least 75 years.
(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.
(E)Operatic works of all kinds have been increasing in popularity in recent years.


I searched the source of this question, and see that this one is from GRE.

A is clearly wrong since it weakens the argument.
B seems close. However, if B is true, then why aren't Wagner's operas performed? It could be concluded that Wagner's operas aren't popular as the argument said. B weakends the argument.
C, E contribute nothing to the argument.
D is left. However, D doesn't directly support the argument that Wagner's operas are really popular and expensive to perform. D just suggests that Wagner's operas are recently performed more frequently than those of other composer. It slightly supports the argument, but it is weak.

I think this question isn't good one.




Option "D" Strengthen the argument by establishing that the Wagner's Operas are popular.

(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.

This means that the since the Operas of Wagner are expensive to perform on the stage, the recordings are being produced.
and since the producers tend to produce what audience wants, the recordings of Wagner's Operas are popular among audience.
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 534
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 07:08
singhalh5962 wrote:
broall wrote:

Option "D" Strengthen the argument by establishing that the Wagner's Operas are popular.

(D)More recordings have been produced recently of the works of Wagner than of the works of any other composer of opera.

This means that the since the Operas of Wagner are expensive to perform on the stage, the recordings are being produced.
and since the producers tend to produce what audience wants, the recordings of Wagner's Operas are popular among audience.


Fully agree with above reasoning, we are basically tasked to find evidence that Wagners Operas are popular (thereby voiding the notion that his operas are not present in the top 15 due to lack of popularity)

The information about their recent success via the sale of records does exactly that.
_________________
A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2018, 07:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A list of the fifteen operas most frequently performed in recent times

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne