GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2013
Posts: 19
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2013, 10:06
1
27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (02:25) correct 72% (02:23) wrong based on 554 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?

(1) There are 81 total members on the Dallas team

(2) There are 5 group directors on the Dallas team

_________________

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.
Believe in yourself! Practice more and good score in GMAT is for sure :)

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2013
Posts: 19
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2013, 20:14
20
2
Paris75 wrote:
I got it wrong since I used the 81 to prove there was only one team leader but:

With statement B alone we can mange to find it:

Since there is L<D, L should be 1 2 3 or 4.

But if L is 2 than the number of D should be divided in 2, meaning ... That we have 2.5 directors. Impossible.

Same logic with 3 and 4...

The only possible answer is 1. Choice C only helps to confirm this answer!

Am I right here?


I think you almost got it right with your analysis, but you just missed it. I am sorry. C is incorrect. Please find the answer below:

Each of L team leaders has D group directors, making the total number of group directors equal to (L)(D). And each of those group directors has F fundraisers, again requiring multiplication: that total is (L)(D)(F). (You can try this by plugging in small numbers - if each of 2 leaders has 3 directors, you know there would be 6 directors)

So while statement 1 is not sufficient (there are multiple combinations that could get you to 81, such as L = 1, D = 2, and F = 39; or L = 1, D = 5, and F = 15), statement 2 guarantees that there is only one team leader. This is because 5 is a prime number, and you know that the number of group directors = LD. The only possible way for LD to equal 5 is if L is 1 and D is 5, or if D is 1 and L is 5. And since the stimulus tells you that there are more directors than leaders, the combination must be 5 directors and 1 leader. Accordingly, statement 2 is sufficient.

+1 Kudos if you like and understand.
_________________

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.
Believe in yourself! Practice more and good score in GMAT is for sure :)

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 195
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2013, 14:30
I got it wrong since I used the 81 to prove there was only one team leader but:

With statement B alone we can mange to find it:

Since there is L<D, L should be 1 2 3 or 4.

But if L is 2 than the number of D should be divided in 2, meaning ... That we have 2.5 directors. Impossible.

Same logic with 3 and 4...

The only possible answer is 1. Choice C only helps to confirm this answer!

Am I right here?
_________________

Think outside the box

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 05:46
Hey... I'm not sure about this one, I feel A is sufficient too.

From the question we've got:

Total number of people on Dallas team = L + L*D + L*D*F = L * (D + D*F + 1) = L * (D(1+F) + 1) = 81

Given that 81 = 3^4, L must be either 1, 3, 9, 27, or 81. However we also know that L>D, so there's no need to check the combinations where L = 9 or higher.

There a bunch of combinations where L=1, as D can then be equal to any factor of 81-1.
However, there are no combinations where L=3 and where L>D, because in that case D must be a factor of 26, i.e. 1, 2, or 13. 3 is larger than 1 or 2, and 13 doesn't work because in that case F = 1, and 13 Directors can't split 1 fundraiser between them!

So I find that prompt A is sufficient to determine that L = 1.

But VeritasPrep's CAT says I'm wrong, as does this thread, so please explain what I'm missing here!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 276
Premium Member
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 06:59
1
li220 wrote:
Hey... I'm not sure about this one, I feel A is sufficient too.

From the question we've got:

Total number of people on Dallas team = L + L*D + L*D*F = L * (D + D*F + 1) = L * (D(1+F) + 1) = 81

Given that 81 = 3^4, L must be either 1, 3, 9, 27, or 81. However we also know that L>D, so there's no need to check the combinations where L = 9 or higher.

There a bunch of combinations where L=1, as D can then be equal to any factor of 81-1.
However, there are no combinations where L=3 and where L>D, because in that case D must be a factor of 26, i.e. 1, 2, or 13. 3 is larger than 1 or 2, and 13 doesn't work because in that case F = 1, and 13 Directors can't split 1 fundraiser between them!

So I find that prompt A is sufficient to determine that L = 1.

But VeritasPrep's CAT says I'm wrong, as does this thread, so please explain what I'm missing here!


hi, the highlighted portion is wrong. it's actually the other way around. D>L. now try for L=3, we have D=13 and F=2.

i hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 07:25
manpreetsingh86 wrote:
li220 wrote:
Hey... I'm not sure about this one, I feel A is sufficient too.

From the question we've got:

Total number of people on Dallas team = L + L*D + L*D*F = L * (D + D*F + 1) = L * (D(1+F) + 1) = 81

Given that 81 = 3^4, L must be either 1, 3, 9, 27, or 81. However we also know that L>D, so there's no need to check the combinations where L = 9 or higher.

There a bunch of combinations where L=1, as D can then be equal to any factor of 81-1.
However, there are no combinations where L=3 and where L>D, because in that case D must be a factor of 26, i.e. 1, 2, or 13. 3 is larger than 1 or 2, and 13 doesn't work because in that case F = 1, and 13 Directors can't split 1 fundraiser between them!

So I find that prompt A is sufficient to determine that L = 1.

But VeritasPrep's CAT says I'm wrong, as does this thread, so please explain what I'm missing here!


hi, the highlighted portion is wrong. it's actually the other way around. D>L. now try for L=3, we have D=13 and F=2.

i hope it helps.



Hey thanks Manpreet. You're right, i meant D>L. You've made me realise that actually my mistake was to confuse F and the total number of fundraisers. I assumed that F = 1 means there's only 1 fundraiser total, when actually that means there's 1 fundraiser per Director, which is entirely possible.

So i think what you mean is L = 3, D = 13, and F = 1

Thanks for quick response!
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2635
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 05:41
Gmat1008 wrote:
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?

(1) There are 81 total members on the Dallas team

(2) There are 5 group directors on the Dallas team


Please provide kudos and help me unlock the GMATclub test


1. Refer to the posts above for a solution to your question.

2. Always search before you post a question.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 85
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 12:03
Engr2012 wrote:
Gmat1008 wrote:
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?

(1) There are 81 total members on the Dallas team

(2) There are 5 group directors on the Dallas team


Please provide kudos and help me unlock the GMATclub test


1. Refer to the posts above for a solution to your question.

2. Always search before you post a question.


Hey is there anyway you can provide a clear solution to this?

I am having a hard time interpreting the stimulus

Thanks
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2635
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 07:21
2
2
GMATDemiGod wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
Gmat1008 wrote:
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?

(1) There are 81 total members on the Dallas team

(2) There are 5 group directors on the Dallas team


Please provide kudos and help me unlock the GMATclub test


1. Refer to the posts above for a solution to your question.

2. Always search before you post a question.


Hey is there anyway you can provide a clear solution to this?

I am having a hard time interpreting the stimulus

Thanks


Sure. Look below.

The question tells us that there are L leads, each with D directors and each D has F fundraisers. The question is asking you L=?

Now assume some smaller values to make sense of the given information. Lets say there is 1 lead, 2 directors for this 1 lead and in turn each of the 2 directors has 3 fundraisers.

Thus the total number of people = 1+2+6 = 9 ---> Also equal to L+LD+DF (you can try with different combinations).

Per statement 1, L + L*D + L*D*F = 81 ---> L(1+D+DF) = 81 ---> 81/L MUST be an integer ---> L = multiple of 3 or 1

As mentioned above, the possible combinations are L = 1, D = 2, and F = 39; or L = 3, D = 13, and F = 1 or L = 1, D = 5, and F = 15 are the only possible cases.

Thus you get 2 different values of L. NOT sufficient.

Per statement 2, D=5 , this clearly eliminates 2 of the 3 cases we looked at in S1. Thus, this statement is sufficient.

B is thus the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 16:09
Where does it say that all teams/organizational units are the same size? Must all "D group directors" have the same number of "F fundraisers"? Or why can't one L team leader have 2 D group directors and another L team leader has 3 D group directors ?

Also how can one team have more than one leader ("how many team leaders are on the Dallas team")?

Is this a culture thing?

Or perhaps I am just getting started with my studies so I'm not familiar with the implied constraints for DS questions. To me, it doesn't look like the question is restricting all L team leaders to have the same number of D group directors.

A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 471
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 20:55
Hi One question,

can L Team leaders each can be responsible to same D directors? I am trying to understand this question. If L Team Leaders each will be responsible for different D directors, then statement 2 is sufficient.

Please clarify.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 471
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 10:54
1
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

Statement 2 : sufficient as L * D = 5 and D > L => L = 1, D = 5

Statement 1: I have one question
given L + L*D + L*D*F = 81

if L =1, D ( 1+F) = 80, we can various D and F, but L = 1
if L =3, D ( 1+F) = 26
=> case 1: D = 2 AND F = 12 (this case is not possible, as D > L)
=> case 2: D = 13 AND F = 1 ( this case is possible, but in the question prompt, we are given F fundraisers (plural), so F cannot be 1, as in one of DS questions, i got tricked into this plurality concept). If we consider F as plural, then F cannot be 1, L cannot be 3 => only L = 1 is possible => proving to be sufficient.

So should we take this plurality concept into account?

Please clarify

thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 15
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 23:02
1
Kardo wrote:
Where does it say that all teams/organizational units are the same size? Must all "D group directors" have the same number of "F fundraisers"? Or why can't one L team leader have 2 D group directors and another L team leader has 3 D group directors ?

Also how can one team have more than one leader ("how many team leaders are on the Dallas team")?

Is this a culture thing?

Or perhaps I am just getting started with my studies so I'm not familiar with the implied constraints for DS questions. To me, it doesn't look like the question is restricting all L team leaders to have the same number of D group directors.

A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?



This was my problem with the question as well. I understand mathematically how Statement 2 is sufficient, but I couldn't be sure this was the answer because there was no indication that every team was evenly divided. I think this question is missing that piece of information and everyone is just assuming.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 05 Mar 2017
Posts: 152
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 05:59
1
madhavsrinivas wrote:
Paris75 wrote:
I got it wrong since I used the 81 to prove there was only one team leader but:

With statement B alone we can mange to find it:

Since there is L<D, L should be 1 2 3 or 4.

But if L is 2 than the number of D should be divided in 2, meaning ... That we have 2.5 directors. Impossible.

Same logic with 3 and 4...

The only possible answer is 1. Choice C only helps to confirm this answer!

Am I right here?


I think you almost got it right with your analysis, but you just missed it. I am sorry. C is incorrect. Please find the answer below:

Each of L team leaders has D group directors, making the total number of group directors equal to (L)(D). And each of those group directors has F fundraisers, again requiring multiplication: that total is (L)(D)(F). (You can try this by plugging in small numbers - if each of 2 leaders has 3 directors, you know there would be 6 directors)

So while statement 1 is not sufficient (there are multiple combinations that could get you to 81, such as L = 1, D = 2, and F = 39; or L = 1, D = 5, and F = 15), statement 2 guarantees that there is only one team leader. This is because 5 is a prime number, and you know that the number of group directors = LD. The only possible way for LD to equal 5 is if L is 1 and D is 5, or if D is 1 and L is 5. And since the stimulus tells you that there are more directors than leaders, the combination must be 5 directors and 1 leader. Accordingly, statement 2 is sufficient.

+1 Kudos if you like and understand.


Bunuel
Pls explain how the colored part is leading to 81?
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3615
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 06:42
1
siddreal wrote:
Pls explain how the colored part is leading to 81?


Hey siddreal ,

Team Leaders, L = 1

If D = 2, that means total number of Group directors = L * D = 1*2 = 2 (Each Leader with D directors means if we have 5 leaders, we will have 5D directors)

Now, if F = 39, the total number of fund raisers = L * D * F = 1* 2 * 39 = 78 (Each Director has F fund raisers. We already know We have LD directors, so fund raisers = LD*F)

Total members in the team = Number of (Leaders + Directors + Fundraisers) = 1 + 2 + 78 = 81.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, &nbs [#permalink] 30 May 2018, 06:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.