GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Status: To infinity and beyond
Joined: 26 Sep 2017
Posts: 259
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 12:46
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:33) correct 47% (01:43) wrong based on 252 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North America; fishing boats have had very meager catch of tuna this year. As a result the whole sale price of tuna meat has increased significantly. Therefore the retail price of tuna based cat food is certain to increase within six months.

The answer to which of the following questions would provide information relevant to evaluating the claims made in the argument above?

A.Can the bacteria be eliminated within the next six months?
B.Are consumers willing to spend more for tuna based cat food?
C.Has the price of cat food remained steady during other period of poor tuna catches?
D.What percentage of tuna in North America were affected by the bacteria?
E.Have the prices of other ingredients in tuna based cat food decreased recently?

Source: Crackverbal

_________________

Please give kudos if you like my post.Thanks

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Mar 2015
Posts: 83
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 13:31
devikeerthansr wrote:
A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North America; fishing boats have had very meager catch of tuna this year. As a result the whole sale price of tuna meat has increased significantly. Therefore the retail price of tuna based cat food is certain to increase within six months.

The answer to which of the following questions would provide information relevant to evaluating the claims made in the argument above?

A.Can the bacteria be eliminated within the next six months?
B.Are consumers willing to spend more for tuna based cat food?
C.Has the price of cat food remained steady during other period of poor tuna catches?
D.What percentage of tuna in North America were affected by the bacteria?
E.Have the prices of other ingredients in tuna based cat food decreased recently?

Source: Crackverbal




IMO: E

Rest of the options do not seem to be having any effect on the main issue at hand.


Kudos Please !!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Apr 2018
Posts: 19
CAT Tests
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 22:47
Why is C not the answer? If the prices remain the same during other periods of Poor Tuna catches it would mean that tuna meat is probably a small ingredient or the price of Tune is not very high to have an effect.

Whereas with Option even f the prices of other ingredients decreased, is the decrease high enough to offset the increase of prices of the Tuna fish


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Apr 2016
Posts: 94
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 23:26
devikeerthansr wrote:
A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North America; fishing boats have had very meager catch of tuna this year. As a result the whole sale price of tuna meat has increased significantly. Therefore the retail price of tuna based cat food is certain to increase within six months.

The answer to which of the following questions would provide information relevant to evaluating the claims made in the argument above?

A.Can the bacteria be eliminated within the next six months?
B.Are consumers willing to spend more for tuna based cat food?
C.Has the price of cat food remained steady during other period of poor tuna catches?
D.What percentage of tuna in North America were affected by the bacteria?
E.Have the prices of other ingredients in tuna based cat food decreased recently?

Source: Crackverbal


The conclusion of the argument is about increase in retail price of tuna based cat foot in coming future. The argument is trying to make two leaps of connections they are whole sale price Vs retail price and increase today Vs increase within six months.

Having looked at the options, there was a confusion between C and E. C talks about past time period which I believe could be irrelevant to current argument. Because there could be many other factors which will impact retail price such as demand etc., Past may not be an accurate representation of current time. Also, C doesn't make any case for future estimated price. E on the other hand mentions about other ingredients which seems logical. Because since the cat food dealers don't want to loose business, they might have made sure that other ingredients price stays low hence the overall price of cat food stays constant. Hence E is right answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Sep 2017
Posts: 96
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 01:12
balaji4799 wrote:
devikeerthansr wrote:
A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North America; fishing boats have had very meager catch of tuna this year. As a result the whole sale price of tuna meat has increased significantly. Therefore the retail price of tuna based cat food is certain to increase within six months.

The answer to which of the following questions would provide information relevant to evaluating the claims made in the argument above?

A.Can the bacteria be eliminated within the next six months?
B.Are consumers willing to spend more for tuna based cat food?
C.Has the price of cat food remained steady during other period of poor tuna catches?
D.What percentage of tuna in North America were affected by the bacteria?
E.Have the prices of other ingredients in tuna based cat food decreased recently?

Source: Crackverbal


The conclusion of the argument is about increase in retail price of tuna based cat foot in coming future. The argument is trying to make two leaps of connections they are whole sale price Vs retail price and increase today Vs increase within six months.

Having looked at the options, there was a confusion between C and E. C talks about past time period which I believe could be irrelevant to current argument. Because there could be many other factors which will impact retail price such as demand etc., Past may not be an accurate representation of current time. Also, C doesn't make any case for future estimated price. E on the other hand mentions about other ingredients which seems logical. Because since the cat food dealers don't want to loose business, they might have made sure that other ingredients price stays low hence the overall price of cat food stays constant. Hence E is right answer.


Why not A , we want to evaluate the argument so that two extreme cases gives the right answer,in E option it is taking about recently and argument is talking about within next six months so how come the answer is E. There might be chances that within six months ingrediants may fluctuate...
Whearas a is taking about within six month period
If in within six months bactarias are eliminayed there price will no go high..
If bacterias will not elimante thn argument will be rght by its own....



Sent from my BND-AL10 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 02:21
givinggmat wrote:
Why is C not the answer? If the prices remain the same during other periods of Poor Tuna catches it would mean that tuna meat is probably a small ingredient or the price of Tune is not very high to have an effect.

Whereas with Option even f the prices of other ingredients decreased, is the decrease high enough to offset the increase of prices of the Tuna fish

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


I also think that the answer should be C. I'm not able to get why the price of there ingredients affect the prices of Tuna fish.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Apr 2018
Posts: 19
CAT Tests
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 03:32
The cat food is Tuna Fish based Meaning one of the ingredient in the cat food is Tuna fish.

Now decrease in the price of other ingredients could actually nullify the effect of increase in the price of Tuna fish but we don’t know how much is the increase or decrease


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
D
Joined: 22 Feb 2018
Posts: 349
A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 06:37
mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, sayantanc2k ,GMATNinja ,broall
Hi
Can you help with this question?
_________________

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Posts: 2
A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 23:51
If consumers are not willing to spend for the tuna best cat food, then the demand will not be high. This, in turn, would mean that the prices will not rise. Based on this thinking, why is B not the answer?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 01:30
sidvarma2004 wrote:
If consumers are not willing to spend for the tuna best cat food, then the demand will not be high. This, in turn, would mean that the prices will not rise. Based on this thinking, why is B not the answer?

The question asks about an option who's answer provides some information relevant to evaluating the claim. The claim was that the prices of the cat food will increase. That will itself depend on the prices of the raw materials (tuna and other things). The manufacturing price will increase unless the prices of other ingredients in tuna based cat food decrease. So that's why, I think that E is the correct answer we are looking for.

Also, B gives us the answer from customers point of view. Even if the customers are not willing to spend more, they will be buying the minimum amount of cat food which should not affect the manufacturing prices of the product.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 30
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 08:00
Hmm, still not getting it as clearly. The price of tuna has risen due to unavailability. Customers can still buy non-tuna based cat food and refuse to buy tuna-based catfood which will drive the prices down due to low demand.

Sent from my Pixel using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Feb 2018
Posts: 51
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 06:23
1
It's a good question for wise people to chip in and help us attain moksha.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1207
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 02:38
Let me try to help you guys here.

Conclusion: the retail price of tuna based cat food is certain to increase within six months.

The answer to which of the following questions would provide information relevant to evaluating the claims made in the argument above? ---- evaluate above given information.

A.Can the bacteria be eliminated within the next six months? --- Lets consider the answer yes. in that case the price for cat food will not increase. if answer is No. i understand the answer is no. but more important question in this case will the problem remain the same. In gmat its a very basic rule never kill a problem. just weaken it. in this case problem will not remain as it is maintained above.
B.Are consumers willing to spend more for tuna based cat food? --- yes or no either way it is not affecting this problem.
C.Has the price of cat food remained steady during other period of poor tuna catches? --- what happened in those situation has nothing to do with this one.
D.What percentage of tuna in North America were affected by the bacteria? ---- again an irrelevant factor.
E.Have the prices of other ingredients in tuna based cat food decreased recently? --- let say yes. while tuna price increased. over all process will not increase. while if prices of other ingredients not decreased or increased then overall prices will increase. E is the correct ans.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Oct 2017
Posts: 646
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 23:56
E is best answer

We know that tuna meat price is increased but tuna based cat food price

If it's other ingredients price is decreased then we are not sure whether price would increase or not
But if price of other ingredients remains same then its price can go up
E goes in both ways so it sbest option

B doesn't correlate with situation ,in argument we know nothing about consumer behaviour so it is wrong

All other options are not addressing concern of price for tuna based cat food

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Give kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Mar 2018
Posts: 35
Location: India
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
CAT Tests
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 22:17
aragonn Why D is irrelevant?

If high percentage of tuna is affected then yes price will increase , if less percentage or negligible percentage of tuna is affected then price will not increase
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1207
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 06:52
prags1989 - Let see what is relevant here.

As a result the whole sale price of tuna meat has increased significantly >>>> Therefore the retail price of tuna based cat food is certain to increase within six months.

So reasoning is whole sale price is increased and eventually retail price will increase.
Quote:
D.What percentage of tuna in North America were affected by the bacteria?

No matter the answer of this question (high/low), we are sure about one thing that price of tune has increased. and so the conclusion is not going to change. if you say no this thing will affect prices, we have to assume a lot of stuff. So i called it irrelevant. I see you have made this assumption and fall in trap. well don't use info that is not given.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 06:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A rare type of bacterial has killed off many tuna fish in North

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.