GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 17:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Accepted - should I go?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.96
WE: Account Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Accepted - should I go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 06:23
I was recently accepted to McDonough with a half scholarship.

I am currently 23 with two years experience in the defense industry including 2 promotions. 750 GMAT with 3.95 undergraduate GPA. I am planning on staying in the defense industry after graduating or staying in similar fields (cyber, intelligence, etc.).

Trying to figure out if it is worth attending MBA this early on or if I should a.) go part time if I plan on staying in current industry or 2.) wait 2 years and try for a top-5 program.

Thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Accepted - should I go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 06:27
Tagging a current student at McDonough for his input.

Gnpth
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q167 V161

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 06:30
Thrawn wrote:

I am currently 23 with two years experience in the defense industry including 2 promotions. 750 GMAT with 3.95 undergraduate GPA. I am planning on staying in the defense industry after graduating or staying in similar fields (cyber, intelligence, etc.).

Trying to figure out if it is worth attending MBA this early on or if I should a.) go part time if I plan on staying in current industry or 2.) wait 2 years and try for a top-5 program.

Thoughts?

Honestly, with all due respect to McDonough, I would toss my hat in the ring for M7 schools with those stats in a few more years. Those are very strong GPA/GMAT score and you should be fairly competitive.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE: Other (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 06:58
If you want to be in the defense industry, McD is good enough.

But the thing we never know what we want later on in our lives. Just in case at some point, we change our mind, it'd be easy to have insurance. I would just say that you should wait another year and apply M7. You don't need another 2 years. When you apply, you need to count the WE towards the first day of the semester so that could be another year - eventually, you probably will have 4 years of WE in total and that's enough.
Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 11:36
Top Contributor
Thrawn wrote:

Thoughts?

Here are my 2 cents:

Two years of WE might be a little low for M7 or top-10 schools even with the impressive GMAT and GPA but you do have 2 promotions that might catch the eyes of Adcoms at M7. MSB has a good footprint on the Defense side. There are companies like Deloitte, Blue origin and other DC-based companies looking for people who want to be the defense. Deloitte hires for Strategy & Human capital roles for their Defense practice. Since it is DC, you will have a lot of time to create new connections to pursue your defense industry plan.

My Honest Opinion: Wait for a year. Take a deferral if you like, and try applying for R1 or R2 this year for M7 or Top-10 schools for Class of 2022 and try your luck. I strongly suggest applying in R1 to maximize your chances since R1 deadlines are still 2-3 months away for all the Top-10 schools. I'm pretty sure you can get interviews at those schools even with less experience since you showed your leadership skills with 2 promotion within 2 years whereas many would take at least 3-4 years. IM me if you wanna chat about it in detail.

Happy to help!

Regards,
GNPTH.
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 15:55
Thrawn wrote:

Thoughts?

Hi,
Congrats for your admit

I have advice here:

1- You are still to young. The benefit of an MBA program appears when you have some expedience and learn more knowledgeable in other disciplines and link it to your experience. Otherwise, you will learn new information as if you are continuing your undergrad studies. You will really miss the real benefits

2- Your age will unlikely to grasp the benefit of the salary increase as part of your MBA is linked to your previous experience, even if it is another field.

3- The economy is doing well know. Try to grasp and save more money for the future. I'm certain it will be helpful in many issues when you will be idle for 2 years.

So I think you can wait for 2 years until you have 4 years experience and enroll in an MBA programs. You may also think in higher programs while you will have great resume and more stories to shine you in the essays.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 21:49
People do want to get an MBA, but a lot of times they don’t know why. So it’s important to know your objective and select the best school for your objective.
You can always say that the next year you’ll get into a higher ranked school, but a lot of times these higher ranked schools don’t necessarily bring you closer to your objective.
Don’t wait too long, but make the best decision-it could be now or a few years later. But get an MBA only if it’ll help you with your overall professional objectives (and select the best school for it)

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2019, 04:29
As many have said, I'll echo: Don't go this year.

If you were offered full scholarship with stipend, I'd say why not. However, I wouldn't pay half price to G-town with your stat. You're potentially HSW material, and potential full ride to top 15 schools. If you're 100% sure about defense industry, sure McDonough alumni would be good. But, I wouldn't pay half price with your stat. I wish you asked this earlier before you apply, so that G-town doesn't cross you off next year for potential full ride. Oh well.

Definitely agree either do part time at G-town later or apply M7/Darden/other top 15 in 1-2yrs.
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 02:56
Very much agree with all of this Mo2men
Mo2men wrote:
Thrawn wrote:

Thoughts?

Hi,
Congrats for your admit

I have advice here:

1- You are still to young. The benefit of an MBA program appears when you have some expedience and learn more knowledgeable in other disciplines and link it to your experience. Otherwise, you will learn new information as if you are continuing your undergrad studies. You will really miss the real benefits

2- Your age will unlikely to grasp the benefit of the salary increase as part of your MBA is linked to your previous experience, even if it is another field.

3- The economy is doing well know. Try to grasp and save more money for the future. I'm certain it will be helpful in many issues when you will be idle for 2 years.

So I think you can wait for 2 years until you have 4 years experience and enroll in an MBA programs. You may also think in higher programs while you will have great resume and more stories to shine you in the essays.

Good luck

Accepted - should I go?   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2019, 02:56

Accepted - should I go?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste