GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

15 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 23:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:27) correct 38% (01:44) wrong based on 2276 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all offers without considering them. Thus, an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount of junk mail each consumer receives.

Which of the following, if true, would most support this recommendation?

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 14:15
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all otters without considering them. Thus. an effective way tor corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount oi junk mall each consumer receives.

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.

Type: Strengthen
Boil It Down: Better targeting, cutting down -> More effective
Missing Information: No other factors, and the likelihood of success
Goal: Find the option that helps ensure the success of the recommendation/eliminate interfering factors
Analysis: This argument puts a rather naive recommendation forward. It assumes that cooperation among senders is possible, and that this junk mail avoiding behavior would change. This argument needs a lot of work, and thankfully one of these options will help us out.

A) Out of focus. Other ways of improving effectiveness are outside of the scope of THIS recommendation.

B) A 180. This option presents a factor that if true would dramatically reduce the capacity for success with this recommendation.

C) Another 180. This option paints a very bleak picture for junk mail in general, even if we were to execute the recommendation.

D) The runner up. Even though this option adds an element that may boost the likelihood of success for the recommendation, improving the quality of the mail is Out of Focus.

E) This option directly supports the likelihood of the recommendation working. It flat out says that response rates to well targeted mail are better, and on top of that, even better than most forms of advertising in general (including traditional junk mail since the prompt says people discard almost all offers without considering them).

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Most Helpful Community Reply
16 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 02:35
nailgmat2015

P1: Few consumers respond to mail advt -> They are less effective
P2: Consumers receive too many junk mails -> most discard them
Conc: You should select target customer appropriately to reduce junk & thereby increase responses (Effective advtg)!

Now we need to find the strengthening statement...

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates. [Out of scope]

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising. [Option talks only about successful corporations. Whereas our scope as per the question is not just limited to successful corporations]

(C) Any consumer who, immediately after receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it. [Not relevant.]

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail. [Not relevant]

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising. [This option increases our belief in the conclusion]
Hence E !!

Do not stop yourself from giving kudos if you find this post useful! :)
General Discussion
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
WE: Research (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 02:11
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all otters without considering them. Thus. an effective way tor corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount oi junk mall each consumer receives.

Please hit "+1 kudos" if you like this post.

I marked B but OA is E. Can somebody plz explain me what is wrong with B and why E is correct. As far as I understand the argument, it says to "carefully target the individuals" whereas option E says to carefully targeted advertisements by mail ... Somebody please help me out.

If you like my post, Pl. do not hesitate to press kudos!!!!

Q51 on GMAT - PM me if you need any help with GMAT QUANTS!!!

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 10:47
Option B says that successful corporations are following this practice. This doesn't necessarily mean that they became successful by adopting this process.
Had it been :
Many corporations are already successfully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.
then it could be a contender. Moreover, in the current scenario, E is the only option that comes any closer to being a strengthener.

Is this really a 700-level question?
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 11:23
Hello Nick,

Just see the question stats to know the difficulty level. :-D

But more than that, I think under timed condition a 600 level question can turn out to be difficult if we are not clear about the argument structure.

Here goes brief analysis of the question:

Premise 01: Mail advertisements are effective ONLY IN FEW selected consumers

(Basically this is interference drawn from the first statement because it is very much relevant to argument)

The second sentence in the argument "Because consumers......them" just supports the first premise. Basically it states that "Adv. Volume high so consumers discard".

So, just mark it as evidence for premise and move.

Conclusion:
To improve response rates organizations should more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising (i.e. the ONLY FEW as mentioned in premise 01)

What could possibly strengthen this argument:

- Mail advertisements are mainly regarded by customers as means to promote costly products at inflated prices

- There is some technique to identify customers who actually like mail advertisement and respond to it

- It is possible to improve response rates to advertisements even if a small subset of consumers could be targeted

- Response rates to targeted consumers are higher than consumers in general

(Again, it is not required to list possibilities of strengthening the argument, I just listed few for better understanding of argument)

Now if you see (E) states that response rates to advertisements are higher for targeted consumers than consumers in general.

Choice (B) is incorrect here because it is talking about "PAST SUCCESS" of similar approach. But that does not strengthen our conclusion that:

For response rate improvement-------Select consumers appropriately

Hope it helps.

Please hit kudos to appreciate.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 08:20
JarvisR Solve this one; you will enjoy

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 21:29
WillGetIt wrote:

Ok, maybe I wasn't focusing well - but, somehow I felt the conclusion to be 'thereby, cutting down on the amount oi junk mall each consumer receives'
Premise related to this was that consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all otters without considering them.

C - was my answer.

mikemcgarry Thereby and Thus were two indicators to conclusion and I felt the question was balanced towards effective advtg and junk mail concern. Your opinion?

Thanks in advance,
Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 23:47
The question out here is how to improve response rates to mails. The recommendation is to identify the target crowd and cut down on the junk mails they receive. Any answer choice which suggests this recommendation would work is the answer. "E" states that "response rates to carefully targeted advertisements is considerably higher" suggesting that the recommendation would work. "C" states what would happen if the mails are not carefully targeted; the reaction of the consumer but it gives no additional support to the recommendation.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 23:58
Hello,

I see a lot of discussion ongoing on this topic.

A detailed analysis of question with emphasis of choice C and E is attached.

Hope it helps!
Attachments

Advertisement.png
Advertisement.png [ 37.21 KiB | Viewed 16545 times ]

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 10:58
WillGetIt wrote:

We have -> ads by mail - :( as consumers throw in trash.
To :) responses -> target clients
low junk -> better responses.

we need an answer choice that would support the claim that target will lead to :) responses.

A - other means - out of scope.
B - if they are targeting, and the results are :(, then targeting is not good at all. this is a weakener.
C - still says that consumers do not respond to ads -> so targeting :( - looks like a weakener
D - we are talking about targeting, not quality of the ads. so this is out of scope.
E - if the responses to targeted ads are :) -> then of course the corporations need to target.

E looks good for me.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 21:04
I don't completely agree with that because I know several companies or businesses still depend on mail advertising to promote their business. Maybe the effectiveness has been reduced to an extent, but they are still a source of growing business. I’ve also tried a similar marketing strategy for my business with the help of an advertising mail services company in Toronto and I would say, it was worth of spending. Obviously, I didn’t expect a huge outcome, but it was not that bad and I was happy with the way it went.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 08:22
I actually saw it differently for B. I had marked B and E but decided to go with B because:

To improve response rate, you have to send targeted mail. However, if B is not true, then all your competitors are sending spam mails. Your mail will be but one of the many mails, therefore rendering your mail useless.

Only when B is present can spam be reduced, and targeted mail work.

Where is wrong with my reasoning??
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 00:02
I have a doubt in option E , how come we are bothered about other forms of advertising ?. so i selected Option D :x :?: :?:

Gmat is weird ; Verbal is Quant and Quant is verbal!!
Kudos only,if you like my approach

Top Contributor
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 03:48
Top Contributor
kapru wrote:
I have a doubt in option E , how come we are bothered about other forms of advertising ?. so i selected Option D :x :?: :?:

Hello, kapru

In argument we have such structure:

Premise: Mail advertising not effective because fewer customers responding. ->
something is missing here ->
Conclusion: Thus corporations need to target the individuals to improve response rates.

How we make this conclusion? We need something that will prove that targeting will improve response rates.
Answer E clearly states this fact:
"Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher"

D is fuzzy because it says about two factors that influence response rate:
1) quality of material
2) targeting of material
so we don't understand why people answer to these mail: because of quality or because of targeting

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 05:28
Top Contributor
kapru wrote:

E says,
(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising. .........>the colored portion suggested the recommendation(Thus. an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising)

D says,
(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail. .......>Outside the scope of the argument

Correct Answer E

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 07:48
The only concern I have regarding the option E is this part: "higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising." Say that this response rate (with targeting) is 80%, while other forms have 25%. Then it's clear that it's higher. However, this doesn't give us any information whether it's higher or lower than the response rate without the targeting; for instance the latter could be 85%. The argument could have been much clearer, if it explicitly stated in the premise that right now (=without targeting), the response rate is lower than that of other forms of advertising.
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 08:00
Top Contributor
manlog wrote:
The only concern I have regarding the option E is this part: "higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising." Say that this response rate (with targeting) is 80%, while other forms have 25%. Then it's clear that it's higher. However, this doesn't give us any information whether it's higher or lower than the response rate without the targeting; for instance the latter could be 85%. The argument could have been much clearer, if it explicitly stated in the premise that right now (=without targeting), the response rate is lower than that of other forms of advertising.

Hello, manlog.

We have "targeted mailing" on one scale and "most other forms of advertising" on another scale.
So on which scale you put "untargeted mailing" in this case? On first or on second?

I can not find the article about this topic but "most other" in this case is equal to "all other"

Also, this is a strengthen question so we do not need to create a 100% confirmation of the conclusion. We just need to find some fact that makes a conclusion more possible.

Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 08:09
Hi Harley1980
I would say that of the first scale. But all further consideration require additional assumptions.

I agree with "most others" = "all others". But the answer is about "all others forms of advertising". IMO "not targeted mailing" is the same form of advertising, so most=all doesn't matter here. I chose D, because IMO it also strengthens the argument and requires additional assumptions.
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 08:18
Top Contributor
manlog wrote:
Hi Harley1980
I would say that of the first scale. But all further consideration require additional assumptions.

I agree with "most others" = "all others". But the answer is about "all others forms of advertising". IMO "not targeted mailing" is the same form of advertising, so most=all doesn't matter here. I chose D, because IMO it also strengthens the argument and requires additional assumptions.

I don't know how to prove it but for me, these forms are completely different.

It's like fast cars and slow cars. They are all cars but we can't compare customers satisfactions from porshe and from some family minivan.
It's like an expensive restaurant and fast-food: they both designate to give some food for customers but still we can't compare it and put them on one scale.

The same thing with targeted mailing where each mail's recipient is analysing and untargeted mail where you send thousands of emails without any thoughts about recipients.

Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2016, 08:18

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap