Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 19 Jul 2019, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 378
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 23:53
I fell in the trap and answered C; however, C is using word "any" customer...the argument says Most of the customers and this is a Big gap...sometimes a single word usually changes the entire meaning
_________________
Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1361
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 03:20
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

We need to select an answer choice that increases our plan that improvement of response rates will be more effective if we implement targeted advertising .
My query is regarding B, D and E.

Is B out because of phrase - many successful companies. But then why we can not equate better response rates to mail advertising to successful companies?

Is D out because of phrase - CAN IMPROVE- However in main Q stem, it is clearly mentioned treat this option as true, so clearly improving quality of material sent to targeted individuals results in increase in response rates from customers.

Is not E a sort of assumption for this argument?
_________________
It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 514
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Feb 2018, 23:54
1
In my opinion E is flawed because it involves comparison with other forms of advertising such as advertising in websites, newspapers, banners etc with advertisements in mail.
Not only the comparison seems irrelevant, it also is flawed because of the following case:
assume response rates from newspapers(other means) be zero and that from targeted mail (TM) is 5. Interesting part is that nowhere from E can we deduce that response rate from non-targeted mail(NTM) was less than 5, and hence conclude that TM is more effective than NTM.


Hello chetan2u,
Would you please let me know whether I am wrong in my point stated above?
Thank you.

-Tania
_________________
------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Originally posted by TaN1213 on 12 Feb 2018, 06:54.
Last edited by TaN1213 on 14 Feb 2018, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 6
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 08:25
Hi,
I really feel confused here. I read the GMAT bible and it introduces some flaws of reasoning, one of the flaw reasoning is called "circular reasoning". I think "E" is circular reasoning. The conclusion is "an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising". Regarding to the E, it states that the response rates are higher due to targeted advertisements. Is that a circular reasoning? use the conclusion to support the conclusion?

Thanks!
Carrie
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2675
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 23:16
4
1
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

We need to select an answer choice that increases our plan that improvement of response rates will be more effective if we implement targeted advertising .
My query is regarding B, D and E.

Quote:
Is B out because of phrase - many successful companies. But then why we can not equate better response rates to mail advertising to successful companies?

The success of those companies MIGHT be due to their advertising strategies, but we don't know that for sure. Maybe those companies are successful for a variety of other reasons despite having low response rates.

Quote:
Is D out because of phrase - CAN IMPROVE- However in main Q stem, it is clearly mentioned treat this option as true, so clearly improving quality of material sent to targeted individuals results in increase in response rates from customers.

The recommendation is not to improve the quality of the advertising materials. Rather, the recommendation is to more carefully target the individuals to whom companies mail advertising. So if quality remains the same and we start sending carefully targeted ads, will our response rates increase? (D) doesn't help answer that question.

Quote:
Is not E a sort of assumption for this argument?

(E) is not quite a required assumption. Notice that (E) compares targeted ads by mail to MOST other forms of advertising. The passage is only concerned with improving the response rate to ads by mail. Maybe compared to other types of advertising, ads by mail are relatively ineffective. Still, if we could improve these low response rates by using targeted ads by mail, then we would want to follow the recommendation.

The improved response rates only have to be higher than those of NON-targeted ads by mail. The improved response rates do not necessarily have to be higher than those of MOST other forms of advertising.

So choice (E) is not a REQUIRED assumption, but it certainly supports the recommendation. The author recommends targeted ads by mail to improve response rates. Choice (E) tells us that response rates to targeted ads by mail are considerably higher than response rates to most other forms of advertising. This supports a switch to targeted ads by mail, so (E) is the best answer.

TaN1213 wrote:
In my opinion E is flawed because it involves comparison with other forms of advertising such as advertising in websites, newspapers, banners etc with advertisements in mail.
Not only the comparison seems irrelevant, it also is flawed because of the following case:
assume response rates from newspapers(other means) be zero and that from targeted mail (TM) is 5. Interesting part is that nowhere from E can we deduce that response rate from non-targeted mail(NTM) was less than 5, and hence conclude that TM is more effective than NTM.


Hello GMATNinja ,
Would you please let me know whether I am wrong in my point stated above?

Thank you.

You are right in that choice (E) does not PROVE that the recommendation will improve response rates. As you pointed out, we can think of scenarios in which choice (E) does not necessarily mean that the recommendation will improve response rates.

But we are looking for an answer choice that MOST supports the recommendation, not one that PROVES that the recommendation will improve response rates.

Also, we are told that "Advertising by mail has become much less effective" and that most consumers "discard almost all {mail} offers without considering them". Given that information, it doesn't seem likely that NTM is MORE effective than MOST other forms of advertising, as it is in your example.

By POE, (E) is the best answer.
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 142
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Reviews Badge
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 09:03
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all offers without considering them. Thus, an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount of junk mail each consumer receives.

Which of the following, if true, would most support this recommendation?

This is a strengthen the argument question.
Like weaken, strengthen questions also require us to isolate the conclusion. As we will be looking for the answer that makes our belief stronger on the premise-conclusion relationship such as analogies, survey, reports, statistical data etc.
Protect the missing information
a) by keeping any option that fills the gap
b) by eliminating the answer that attacks the missing information

Conclusion: carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising -- cutting down on the amount of junk mail -- improve response rates
How do we know that this technique will work? It's assumed.

We need to find an answer choice which can increase our believe on the conclusion.

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates. -- Cost is not in the scope of the argument. Eliminate.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.
Either introducing other examples doesn’t strengthen or introducing exceptions doesn’t weaken since in both the cases, there is just no way to automatically know that those other cases carry a sufficient resemblance to who or what the argument is about.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it. -- That's why we need to carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising. Eliminate.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail. -- This option is suggesting an alternate way to improve response rate. In strengthen the argument any alternate reason should be eliminated.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising. -- That's the answer. It certainly helps us feeling more positive about the conclusion that if the response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jul 2016
Posts: 49
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 08:54
M3sSiaH wrote:
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all otters without considering them. Thus. an effective way tor corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount oi junk mall each consumer receives.

Which of the following, if true, would most support this recommendation?

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.

Please hit "+1 kudos" if you like this post.



I marked B but OA is E. Can somebody plz explain me what is wrong with B and why E is correct. As far as I understand the argument, it says to "carefully target the individuals" whereas option E says to carefully targeted advertisements by mail ... Somebody please help me out.



Option B talks about those corporations that are already carefully targeting the individuals. But are they successful in their response rate? This is not mentioned. They are successful may be because of some other reason but not in getting the response rate.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 173
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2018, 08:01
down to options D and E
selected E because D is focusing more on advertising materials than on target mail recommendation. While in E its explicitly stated that by implementing this strategy, advertisement would be much more effective than any other means of advertisement.

So E in the correct option
_________________
Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 78
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 17:07
2
kapru wrote:
I have a doubt in option E , how come we are bothered about other forms of advertising ?. so i selected Option D :x :?: :?:

TaN1213 wrote:
In my opinion E is flawed because it involves comparison with other forms of advertising such as advertising in websites, newspapers, banners etc with advertisements in mail.

I had the same concerns about this too. However, the recommendation says, "an effective way for corporations to improve response rates...", which means this recommendation is concerned with improving response rates in general. If the recommendation had instead said, "an effective way for corporations to improve mail response rates...", then (E) would be irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 01:43
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all otters without considering them. Thus. an effective way tor corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount oi junk mall each consumer receives.

Which of the following, if true, would most support this recommendation?

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.

I fail to understand why E, instead of D can be the right answer. Right from the start, the author always talked ONLY about email based advertising- hence the quality of email, in fact does add support to it to generate more responses where as E, brings something like other forms of advertising into picture which was never mentioned in the argument- if not anything, don't you think E is out of scope? rather than D? (which still hovers on email based marketing)

Type: Strengthen
Boil It Down: Better targeting, cutting down -> More effective
Missing Information: No other factors, and the likelihood of success
Goal: Find the option that helps ensure the success of the recommendation/eliminate interfering factors
Analysis: This argument puts a rather naive recommendation forward. It assumes that cooperation among senders is possible, and that this junk mail avoiding behavior would change. This argument needs a lot of work, and thankfully one of these options will help us out.

A) Out of focus. Other ways of improving effectiveness are outside of the scope of THIS recommendation.

B) A 180. This option presents a factor that if true would dramatically reduce the capacity for success with this recommendation.

C) Another 180. This option paints a very bleak picture for junk mail in general, even if we were to execute the recommendation.

D) The runner up. Even though this option adds an element that may boost the likelihood of success for the recommendation, improving the quality of the mail is Out of Focus.

E) This option directly supports the likelihood of the recommendation working. It flat out says that response rates to well targeted mail are better, and on top of that, even better than most forms of advertising in general (including traditional junk mail since the prompt says people discard almost all offers without considering them).
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2017
Posts: 53
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 00:42
I too have the same doubt. Can someone clarify on this? Conclusion is about: Increasing response rate by reducing spam
B - provides more assurance that spam will indeed be reduced if most corporations follow it.
Assume, only if one corporation is following and all others are not, junk will still be more - and eventually responses may get affected.

E - first part of it was fine, but the second part on "all other forms of advertising" seems out of scope to me. We are concerned only about increasing response rate for advertising by mail.

GMATNinjaTwo Would appreciate your response.

scottleey wrote:
I actually saw it differently for B. I had marked B and E but decided to go with B because:

To improve response rate, you have to send targeted mail. However, if B is not true, then all your competitors are sending spam mails. Your mail will be but one of the many mails, therefore rendering your mail useless.

Only when B is present can spam be reduced, and targeted mail work.

Where is wrong with my reasoning??
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2675
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 14:11
1
shruthiarvindh wrote:
I too have the same doubt. Can someone clarify on this? Conclusion is about: Increasing response rate by reducing spam
B - provides more assurance that spam will indeed be reduced if most corporations follow it.
Assume, only if one corporation is following and all others are not, junk will still be more - and eventually responses may get affected.

E - first part of it was fine, but the second part on "all other forms of advertising" seems out of scope to me. We are concerned only about increasing response rate for advertising by mail.

GMATNinjaTwo Would appreciate your response.

scottleey wrote:
I actually saw it differently for B. I had marked B and E but decided to go with B because:

To improve response rate, you have to send targeted mail. However, if B is not true, then all your competitors are sending spam mails. Your mail will be but one of the many mails, therefore rendering your mail useless.

Only when B is present can spam be reduced, and targeted mail work.

Where is wrong with my reasoning??

Let's take another look at the conclusion that we must support:
Quote:
Thus, an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount of junk mail each consumer receives.

So, we need to support the recommendation to "more carefully target consumers," because this will "improve response rates" to advertisements.

Take another look at (B):
Quote:
(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.

(B) tells us information about "successful corporations." But what does that actually mean? We specifically need to know if they are successful in improving response rates by carefully targeting the people to whom they mail advertising. Maybe this is the case, or maybe they are successful for totally unrelated reasons. From the information available, we cannot say that (B) supports the recommendation.

To your point about competitors filling up customers' mailboxes: (B) says that "many" successful corporations are carefully targeting individuals. The problem is that "many" could mean almost anything -- it could mean a majority, or just a small fraction of all the corporations sending out junk mail. So, we cannot infer that the information in (B) has any effect on the overall volume of mail that a consumer receives. For these reasons, (B) is out.

Now look again at (E):
Quote:
(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.

This clearly shows that carefully targeted advertisements lead to improved response rates -- which is exactly what we need. (E) provides direct evidence that the recommendation will achieve its intended goal, so (E) is our answer.

I hope that helps!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 08:20
This is an example where having knowledge on the area makes it more difficult to you to answer the question...

Look at the "right answer":

"E. Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising."

Now, look at the explanation GMAC gives:

"This provides some evidence that carefully targeted mail advertising is associated with higher response rates than untargeted advertisement is, and therefore that targeting mail advertising more carefully would improve response rates. "

The answer does not say that carefully targeted advertisements by mail has higher response rates than not target advertisements by mail. It just says that this rate is greater for targeted adv. by mail than for other forms of advertisement. Here is where technical knowledge can give you problems, you cannot compare different forms of advertisement using response rates. You could be advertising on tv, or via web adds, and they all have VERY LOW response rates, but they are MASSIVE, so they can be better, even though their response rates are lower. What matters is the MROI, NOT THE RESPONSE RATE, when you compare different forms of advertisement.

knowing this, I skipped E immediately when I read it.

I did not know what to answer so I picked:
"There are cost-effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates."

OBVIOUSLY, cost-effective is out of scope here, I was aware of that and I was also aware that means could refer to means other than "targeted mail adv.", but it could also be "targeted mail adv.". Even so it was the best, because it is asserting that you can increase response rates of mail adv. and that it is cost effective, so increases MROI. Moreover, when you compare the same adv. form, you can use response rate as a measure.

I wish the guys who created these questions were more careful when going into technical discussions...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 141
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 13:39
WillGetIt wrote:
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all offers without considering them. Thus, an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount of junk mail each consumer receives.

Which of the following, if true, would most support this recommendation?


(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.


ID - CR08443

Junk Mail


Step 1: Identify the Question

The words if true and support in the question stem indicate that this is a Strengthen the Argument question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

Mail ad à Less eff (++ junk)

Ó Target mail ads à improve resp rate

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

On Strengthen questions, the correct answer should make the conclusion more likely to be valid. What would make it more likely that the plan to more carefully target mailed advertisements will have its intended effect of increasing response rate?

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) The argument focuses on the effects of a particular plan: more targeted advertising to improve response rates. Whether there alternative methods to improve response rates is not relevant.

(B) If anything, this choice weakens the argument. If some companies (successful ones!) are already targeting ads but overall response rates are still declining (as the argument states), then perhaps the plan is not a good one after all.

(C) The argument already states that consumers frequently discard advertisements. This answer does not provide any additional information.

(D) This answer provides an additional means that companies could use to improve response rates: improving the quality of materials. However, this answer does not address whether the plan in the argument (more targeted advertising) will be effective on its own.

(E) CORRECT. This answer provides evidence that the plan will have its intended effect: targeted advertising does generate higher response rates.

Evaluation of a Plan

Situation
Advertising by mail has become less effective because consumers overwhelmed with the amount of junk mail they receive discard almost all of it without considering it.

Reasoning
What would most help to support the claim that making mail advertising more carefully targeted would improve response rates? The passage recommends targeted advertising, reasoning that since targeted advertising would reduce the total amount of junk mail consumers receive, it would generate higher response rates. Any additional evidence for the claim that carefully targeted advertising would improve response rates would support this recommendation.

(A) Even if targeted advertising and every other means of improving response rates were too expensive to be cost-effective, targeted advertising could still be effective for any corporation willing to pay the expense.

(B) If many corporations already mail targeted advertising, and mail advertising is nonetheless yielding declining response rates, that suggests that targeted mail is an ineffective way to increase response rates.

(C) This could be equally true for targeted and untargeted mail advertising, so it does not suggest that the former is more effective.

(D) The question under consideration is whether more carefully targeted mail advertising would in itself increase response rates, not whether higher quality advertising would do so.

(E) Correct. This provides some evidence that carefully targeted mail advertising is associated with higher response rates than untargeted mail advertising is, and therefore that targeting mail advertising more carefully would improve response rates.






I learnt a valuable lesson in this question
READ ALL OPTIONS
See there's a lot of grey area in CR questions, do not play favourites or it will break your heart

Here, I merely glanced at A and assumed that there are cost effective ways to find the consumers not what it actually said
Ok let's play the game how you guys must have

I do hope you eliminated A,B,C easily, (if not, then tell me why you picked that option and I'll try to help)
Now final showdown between D and E
Look at the little word "quality" there in D????
Now ask yourself, is the premise saying anything about quality?
Is it?
Noooooooo

So why did you pick it? Because you didn't read it and assumed that the increase in response rate thing is happening, same as I did. But if we were perfect we'd not be practising. Keep practising and checkout the other OG posts I have posted answers to.
_________________
IF YOU LIKE MY METHODS, GIVE KUDOS AND SAY "LONG MAY HE REIGN"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2019, 13:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne