GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 11:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 23:14
E is the correct answer as it mentions response rates are considerably higher if targeted carefully.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 23:53
I fell in the trap and answered C; however, C is using word "any" customer...the argument says Most of the customers and this is a Big gap...sometimes a single word usually changes the entire meaning

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 03:20
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

We need to select an answer choice that increases our plan that improvement of response rates will be more effective if we implement targeted advertising .
My query is regarding B, D and E.

Is B out because of phrase - many successful companies. But then why we can not equate better response rates to mail advertising to successful companies?

Is D out because of phrase - CAN IMPROVE- However in main Q stem, it is clearly mentioned treat this option as true, so clearly improving quality of material sent to targeted individuals results in increase in response rates from customers.

Is not E a sort of assumption for this argument?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Feb 2018, 23:54
In my opinion E is flawed because it involves comparison with other forms of advertising such as advertising in websites, newspapers, banners etc with advertisements in mail.
Not only the comparison seems irrelevant, it also is flawed because of the following case:
assume response rates from newspapers(other means) be zero and that from targeted mail (TM) is 5. Interesting part is that nowhere from E can we deduce that response rate from non-targeted mail(NTM) was less than 5, and hence conclude that TM is more effective than NTM.

Hello chetan2u,
Would you please let me know whether I am wrong in my point stated above?
Thank you.

-Tania

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Originally posted by TaN1213 on 12 Feb 2018, 06:54.
Last edited by TaN1213 on 14 Feb 2018, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 08:25
Hi,
I really feel confused here. I read the GMAT bible and it introduces some flaws of reasoning, one of the flaw reasoning is called "circular reasoning". I think "E" is circular reasoning. The conclusion is "an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising". Regarding to the E, it states that the response rates are higher due to targeted advertisements. Is that a circular reasoning? use the conclusion to support the conclusion?

Thanks!
Carrie
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 23:16
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

We need to select an answer choice that increases our plan that improvement of response rates will be more effective if we implement targeted advertising .
My query is regarding B, D and E.

Quote:
Is B out because of phrase - many successful companies. But then why we can not equate better response rates to mail advertising to successful companies?

The success of those companies MIGHT be due to their advertising strategies, but we don't know that for sure. Maybe those companies are successful for a variety of other reasons despite having low response rates.

Quote:
Is D out because of phrase - CAN IMPROVE- However in main Q stem, it is clearly mentioned treat this option as true, so clearly improving quality of material sent to targeted individuals results in increase in response rates from customers.

The recommendation is not to improve the quality of the advertising materials. Rather, the recommendation is to more carefully target the individuals to whom companies mail advertising. So if quality remains the same and we start sending carefully targeted ads, will our response rates increase? (D) doesn't help answer that question.

Quote:
Is not E a sort of assumption for this argument?

(E) is not quite a required assumption. Notice that (E) compares targeted ads by mail to MOST other forms of advertising. The passage is only concerned with improving the response rate to ads by mail. Maybe compared to other types of advertising, ads by mail are relatively ineffective. Still, if we could improve these low response rates by using targeted ads by mail, then we would want to follow the recommendation.

The improved response rates only have to be higher than those of NON-targeted ads by mail. The improved response rates do not necessarily have to be higher than those of MOST other forms of advertising.

So choice (E) is not a REQUIRED assumption, but it certainly supports the recommendation. The author recommends targeted ads by mail to improve response rates. Choice (E) tells us that response rates to targeted ads by mail are considerably higher than response rates to most other forms of advertising. This supports a switch to targeted ads by mail, so (E) is the best answer.

TaN1213 wrote:
In my opinion E is flawed because it involves comparison with other forms of advertising such as advertising in websites, newspapers, banners etc with advertisements in mail.
Not only the comparison seems irrelevant, it also is flawed because of the following case:
assume response rates from newspapers(other means) be zero and that from targeted mail (TM) is 5. Interesting part is that nowhere from E can we deduce that response rate from non-targeted mail(NTM) was less than 5, and hence conclude that TM is more effective than NTM.

Hello GMATNinja ,
Would you please let me know whether I am wrong in my point stated above?

Thank you.

You are right in that choice (E) does not PROVE that the recommendation will improve response rates. As you pointed out, we can think of scenarios in which choice (E) does not necessarily mean that the recommendation will improve response rates.

But we are looking for an answer choice that MOST supports the recommendation, not one that PROVES that the recommendation will improve response rates.

Also, we are told that "Advertising by mail has become much less effective" and that most consumers "discard almost all {mail} offers without considering them". Given that information, it doesn't seem likely that NTM is MORE effective than MOST other forms of advertising, as it is in your example.

By POE, (E) is the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 09:03
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all offers without considering them. Thus, an effective way for corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount of junk mail each consumer receives.

Which of the following, if true, would most support this recommendation?

This is a strengthen the argument question.
Like weaken, strengthen questions also require us to isolate the conclusion. As we will be looking for the answer that makes our belief stronger on the premise-conclusion relationship such as analogies, survey, reports, statistical data etc.
Protect the missing information
a) by keeping any option that fills the gap
b) by eliminating the answer that attacks the missing information

Conclusion: carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising -- cutting down on the amount of junk mail -- improve response rates
How do we know that this technique will work? It's assumed.

We need to find an answer choice which can increase our believe on the conclusion.

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates. -- Cost is not in the scope of the argument. Eliminate.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.
Either introducing other examples doesn’t strengthen or introducing exceptions doesn’t weaken since in both the cases, there is just no way to automatically know that those other cases carry a sufficient resemblance to who or what the argument is about.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it. -- That's why we need to carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising. Eliminate.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail. -- This option is suggesting an alternate way to improve response rate. In strengthen the argument any alternate reason should be eliminated.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising. -- That's the answer. It certainly helps us feeling more positive about the conclusion that if the response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 08:54
M3sSiaH wrote:
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consumers responding. Because consumers are increasingly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of junk mail they receive, most discard almost all otters without considering them. Thus. an effective way tor corporations to improve response rates would be to more carefully target the individuals to whom they mail advertising, thereby cutting down on the amount oi junk mall each consumer receives.

Which of the following, if true, would most support this recommendation?

(A) There are cost effective means by which corporations that currently advertise by mail could improve response rates.

(B) Many successful corporations are already carefully targeting the individuals to whom they mail advertising.

(C) Any consumer who, immediately alter receiving an advertisement by mail, merely glances at it is very likely to discard it.

(D) Improvements in the quality of the advertising materials used in mail that is carefully targeted to individuals can improve the response rate for such mail.

(E) Response rates to carefully targeted advertisements by mail are considerably higher, on average, than response rates to most other forms of advertising.

Please hit "+1 kudos" if you like this post.

I marked B but OA is E. Can somebody plz explain me what is wrong with B and why E is correct. As far as I understand the argument, it says to "carefully target the individuals" whereas option E says to carefully targeted advertisements by mail ... Somebody please help me out.

Option B talks about those corporations that are already carefully targeting the individuals. But are they successful in their response rate? This is not mentioned. They are successful may be because of some other reason but not in getting the response rate.
Re: Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jun 2018, 08:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Advertising by mail has become much less effective, with fewer consume

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap