It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice Needed to Boost Quants score- 670 (Q44 V38)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 262

GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.9
Advice Needed to Boost Quants score- 670 (Q44 V38) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I had my GMAT exam today and got a score of 670 ( Q44 V38 IR6). My quants score came as a shock as I was consistently scoring 46-48 on Gmat Prep mocks.

Well, this is not to give an excuse for my below-average quants performance, but I had to face a lot of issues right before the start of my exam- my Indian passport was hand-written and not computer generated, hence they would not let me take the exam, as the passport was not considered to be a valid ID. After a lot of negotiation and convincing, they finally agreed to let me take the exam). All this added to my stress and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown before starting with Quants. The section order I selected was Q-V-IR-AWA. Lost 6 minutes on the first question. In retrospect, it was a pretty simple question which would've otherwise taken me utmost 1 minute 30 seconds to solve.This caused me to hurry up on the other questions, as I was feeling I was way behind time. I somehow finished the quant section with just 1 minute to spare. I already got the sinking feeling that I haven't done full justice to my ability.

Verbal was pretty similar to the Gmat Prep mocks - SC was tough with 2 closely related options of which I had a hard time eliminating the incorrect one. Nevertheless, I think I did pretty well with SC as I was scoring 42-46 on the mocks.

RC was a mess- long convoluted passages about scientific processes, global warming, American history and the like . I lost majority of my time on RC which led to having insufficient time for long CR questions. Having said that, CR was Okayish- I could've done better had I spent lesser time analysing each option of RC again and again.
I finished Verbal with 50 seconds to spare. (The lowest ever, I always had 5-6 minutes to spare on the mocks).

In conclusion, though 670 is not a horrible score, I really feel I could've done much better in Quants. My Gmat Prep mock scores were in the range of 690-730.

Not being the one to give up, I am planning to take the exam once again, in the hopes of reaching a 700. And Yes, I need to up my Quant game for the next time around.

Any help and tips would be appreciated to increase my Quant score to at least a 47 or 48.

Resources I used- Quants- GMAT Club Tests (Amazing pool of questions- But to be honest I didn't use it a 100%) and OG ( Again, haven't done it 100%)
Verbal- RC and CR- OG, Gmat Prep Questions on GmatClub for RC and CR.
SC- E-Gmat and OG.

Thanks to all the wonderful people out here for their explanations and experiences, from which I have learnt a lot.

All the best to all who have their exam coming up.

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 262

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Advice Needed to Boost Quants score- 670 (Q44 V38) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
Well, you did a very good job with Verbal, you could have even gotten a better score had you worked hard on your verbal.
The same that happened with your Quant happened with my verbal. I had to take a trip back to my country and couldn't concentrate on my studies for one month. When i came back from my trip, i saw that some of verbal concept was alien to me.

Anyway, my suggestion is that if you can do more practice. Only from official materials and if any question seems not clicking for you, do a quick research and see where do you lack understanding.

Also, do a through review of GMAT Quant Forum, there are a ton of posts explaining how you can improve your Quant. I wholeheartedly followed those advice and i can see in verbal i am making good practice. For example, on MGMAT, my verbal score is 38 while my Quant is in around 44.

Also, try to take some good mock test and replicate actual official exam environment.

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Advice Needed to Boost Quants score- 670 (Q44 V38) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 00:58
T700ISB wrote:
Hi,

I had my GMAT exam today and got a score of 670 ( Q44 V38 IR6). My quants score came as a shock as I was consistently scoring 46-48 on Gmat Prep mocks.

Well, this is not to give an excuse for my below-average quants performance, but I had to face a lot of issues right before the start of my exam- my Indian passport was hand-written and not computer generated, hence they would not let me take the exam, as the passport was not considered to be a valid ID. After a lot of negotiation and convincing, they finally agreed to let me take the exam). All this added to my stress and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown before starting with Quants. The section order I selected was Q-V-IR-AWA. Lost 6 minutes on the first question. In retrospect, it was a pretty simple question which would've otherwise taken me utmost 1 minute 30 seconds to solve.This caused me to hurry up on the other questions, as I was feeling I was way behind time. I somehow finished the quant section with just 1 minute to spare. I already got the sinking feeling that I haven't done full justice to my ability.

Verbal was pretty similar to the Gmat Prep mocks - SC was tough with 2 closely related options of which I had a hard time eliminating the incorrect one. Nevertheless, I think I did pretty well with SC as I was scoring 42-46 on the mocks.

RC was a mess- long convoluted passages about scientific processes, global warming, American history and the like . I lost majority of my time on RC which led to having insufficient time for long CR questions. Having said that, CR was Okayish- I could've done better had I spent lesser time analysing each option of RC again and again.
I finished Verbal with 50 seconds to spare. (The lowest ever, I always had 5-6 minutes to spare on the mocks).

In conclusion, though 670 is not a horrible score, I really feel I could've done much better in Quants. My Gmat Prep mock scores were in the range of 690-730.

Not being the one to give up, I am planning to take the exam once again, in the hopes of reaching a 700. And Yes, I need to up my Quant game for the next time around.

Any help and tips would be appreciated to increase my Quant score to at least a 47 or 48.

Resources I used- Quants- GMAT Club Tests (Amazing pool of questions- But to be honest I didn't use it a 100%) and OG ( Again, haven't done it 100%)
Verbal- RC and CR- OG, Gmat Prep Questions on GmatClub for RC and CR.
SC- E-Gmat and OG.

Thanks to all the wonderful people out here for their explanations and experiences, from which I have learnt a lot.

All the best to all who have their exam coming up.

Hi T700ISB,

I gave GMAT on 12th Aug. Had a similar experience in the Quant section. I guess I should PM you to share my experience.

Dkingdom

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Re: Advice Needed to Boost Quants score- 670 (Q44 V38)   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 00:58

Advice Needed to Boost Quants score- 670 (Q44 V38)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap