GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 09:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:45) correct 36% (01:40) wrong based on 503 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 90 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that are seen as directed towards juveniles.

A) are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that

B) are prohibited from purchasing alcohol by federal law, legislators had passed an amount of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that

C) are prohibited from purchases of alcohol, by federal law, legislators have passed a number of laws years designed to combat certain types of marketing which

D) are prohibited by federal law from purchasing alcohol, legislators are passing an amount of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that

E) are prohibited by federal law from purchasing alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws designed to combat certain types of marketing that

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
More than one award of kudos is possible.

Choose life.
Director
Director
G
Re: Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 09:46
generis wrote:

Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that are seen as directed towards juveniles.

A) are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that

B) are prohibited from purchasing alcohol by federal law, legislators had passed an amount of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that

C) are prohibited from purchases of alcohol, by federal law, legislators have passed a number of laws years designed to combat certain types of marketing which

D) are prohibited by federal law from purchasing alcohol, legislators are passing an amount of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that

E) are prohibited by federal law from purchasing alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws designed to combat certain types of marketing that

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
More than one award of kudos is possible.

So lets see, a number of laws will be passed and not an amount(this is for money)
Eliminate B and D

Lets go over A, C and E

Prohibited X from y(+ing form) is the correct idiom, wordier ->Incorrect idiom -Out

Illogical construction, passive -> Out

Prohibited X from y(+ing form) is the correct idiom, Correct Answer

E

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Retail Banking)
Re: Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:10
But in option E,it's nowhere mentioned that the number of laws passed have been in recent years or since time immemorial.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:17
anshkool4u wrote:
But in option E,it's nowhere mentioned that the number of laws passed have been in recent years or since time immemorial.

Hi anshkool4u

Though i am not an expert.

Nevertheless, i eliminated A more on the idiom basis, its forbid X to do Y, rather than Prohibit X to do Y.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:28
KanishkM wrote:
anshkool4u wrote:

Hi anshkool4u

Nevertheless, i eliminated A more on the idiom basis, its forbid X to do Y, rather than Prohibit X to do Y.

Hi KanishkM,
Even I had thought of this option,and the reason behind this...but the reason for me pointing out the issue was,if by any chance,the writer may have missed those few words in the option.

All in all,E is the best choice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
D
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Feb 2019, 10:43
Highlighted texts are errors...

IMO E

A) are prohibited by federal law to purchasealcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that : incorrect use of infinitive verb form..

E) are prohibited by federal law from purchasing alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws designed to combat certain types of marketing that : purchasing ; prohibited from something is correct...

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 04 Feb 2019, 10:32.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 04 Feb 2019, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 3.87

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:35
anshkool4u wrote:
KanishkM wrote:
anshkool4u wrote:

Hi anshkool4u

Hi KanishkM,
Even I had thought of this option,and the reason behind this...but the reason for me pointing out the issue was,if by any chance,the writer may have missed those few words in the option.

All in all,E is the best choice.

Hello KanishkM and anshkool4u

even if the original sentence contains "in recent years" it is not mandatory has it in the correct answer.

verb tense used here present perfect "have passed" so it implies that action happened some time in the past or just before the current time.

omission of "in recent years" doesn't change anything in the meaning of the sentence

hope this helps ;)

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:39
Archit3110 wrote:
Highlighted texts are errors...

A) are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol, legislators have passed a number of laws in recent years designed to combat certain types of marketing that : correct use of infinitive verb form..

I agree with regards to the verb form, however, in my opinion, AC A uses the wrong modifier.

Someone is prohibited from rather than prohibited "to do something".
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 10:56
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
After highlighting error in A,B,C,and D we are left with E.

IMO E

Also correct from is "Prohibit X from doing Y"

Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 11:18
generis wrote:

Meaning of the original sentence:
Sentence presents some contrast.
1. Although minors are prohibited by federal law from purchasing alcohol
2. Legislators have passed a number of laws not directly directed towards minors
3. But through combating certain types of marketing that are directed towards minors

Errors of the original sentence:
Attachment:
A.JPG
A.JPG [ 51.27 KiB | Viewed 2809 times ]

I'm not good at idioms, but correct one here prohibit X from doing Y -- X and Y are not necessarily //
If you don't know the idiom no problem, go further -->

Attachment:
V-ed.JPG
V-ed.JPG [ 26.73 KiB | Viewed 2800 times ]

v-ed modifier "designed" supposed to modify "laws"
now it modifies "years"
even if we allow it to jump over the "in recent years" modifier - letting this modifier be essential, it is NOT!
"in recent years" is not essential modifier that cannot be placed anywhere in the sentence by not distorting the intended meaning.
To me "in recent years" seems redundant, because we have "present perfect tense" to suggest the meaning conveyed by this modifier.

POE

("had passed" - sentence talk about current situations, and actions that took place some time in the past or just before the current time, past perfect is wrong, "laws" - countable - amount - uncountable)

(too many strange things in this answer, not need to devide "by federal law" by comma, but it don't change anything, I don't know what did "year" forget between "laws" and "designed"??? "that" seems better than "which" in this sentence)

("are passing" again wrong this is not the intended meaning of the sentence, "laws" - countable - amount - uncountable)

Attachment:
E.JPG
E.JPG [ 48.85 KiB | Viewed 2812 times ]

So if you don't know the idiom prohibit X from doing Y -- X and Y are not necessarily //
as I said no problem, go further -->
We are able to eliminate (B), (C) and (D) on solid grounds.

Between (A) and (E)

You can still easily eliminate (A) because of v-ed modifier, and (E) clear and concise in comparison with wordy and wrong (A)

E is the answer

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 17:18
IMO E

Prefer the idiom ''prohibited from'' than ''prohibited to''

Laws are countable - Hence use of ''amount'' is incorrect

''which'' should be preceded by a comma

Laws are countable - Hence use of ''amount'' is incorrect

correct
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 18:10

MY ANALYSIS

• Correct idiom is Prohibit X from Y, and not prohibit X to Y

laws are countable. Countable things take a number of: a number of laws.
had passed requires that there be a time marker or at least one simple past tense verb, because
had passed is past perfect construction, "the past of the past." No time marker and no simple past tense, hence had passed is wrong
-- Verb in the prompt, are, is present tense.
-- First verb in B is are, present tense.
by federal law is misplaced. It sounds as if minors are trying to buy alcohol via federal law, or with the help of federal law

C) are prohibited from purchases of alcohol , by federal law, legislators have passed a number of laws years designed to combat certain types of marketing which
• no need to set off by federal law with commas
which needs a preceding comma, or to be the word that
-- which as a relative pronoun requires a comma before it

-- which without commas should not take the place of that without commas.
-- that without commas is correct and indicates an essential modifier.
• in the idiom Prohibit X from Y, very frequently, Y is an -ING word. "Purchase of" should be "purchasing."
See the link below for more information about the idiom.

an amount of is incorrect, as in option B
are passing and in recent years do not match.
-- are passing means right now. in recent years means in the past few years.
-- to show continuous action that started in the past and continues to the present, or whose effects continue to now,
use have been passing [jargon: present perfect progressive].
The legislators started in recent years. Have been indicates a start in the past. Passing indicates that the laws continue to be passed.

have passed is present perfect. That construction correctly conveys
-- a completed action in the past whose effects are still relevant or
-- an action in progress until recently
• minors are prohibited from purchasing correctly follows the idiom Prohibit X from Y

Option E is correct.

**For more on the idiom Prohibit X from Y, see mikemcgarry , HERE

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• [Among other issues,] this question is testing the correct idiom for prohibited.

• The correct phrasing is prohibited from an action (often an --ING word)**
Idiom: Prohibit X from Y

• Options A and D incorrectly say prohibited . . . to purchase.
Eliminate A and D

• Comparing [options] B, C, and E, one major difference is the placement of the phrase by federal law
Option B moves the phrase to after alcohol, making it sound as if someone is trying to purchase alcohol by means of federal law,
which changes the meaning (and doesn't really make sense).

Eliminate B

• Between C and E, the easiest difference to work with is probably that versus which at the end of the underlined portion
In order to use which, you have to have a comma, and there is no comma in option C. Eliminate C.

• The correct answer is E

This OE uses "splits."

Split #1: a number of vs. an amount of. Countable noun takes "a number of." Eliminates A and D
Split #2: by federal law. Misplaced in option B. Eliminate B.
Split #3: which vs. that. Which requires a comma. Eliminate C. Answer: E

"Splits" and how to use them are discussed in this SC Butler Post.

Choose the grammatical errors that are most obvious to you or that are incorrect every time.

COMMENTS

I am thrilled to see dialogue between and among forum members.

Collective learning frequently demonstrates a process of elimination that is helpful
to forum members who read later.

I like generosity. A lot. I think generosity shows strength of character. Helping is generous.

Further, dialogue forces people to articulate ideas.
If you can articulate an idea—that is, explain its content, not merely assert its content—you are
forced to distill a clear conception of the idea yourself.

Everyone who engaged in dialogue gets a smiley face. Ashokshiva and KanishkM get smiley faces for very good answers.
GKomoku wrote the best answer. Kudos! Nice work, everyone.

Choose life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 21:53
generis wrote:

I am thrilled to see dialogue between and among forum members.

Collective learning frequently demonstrates a process of elimination that is helpful
to forum members who read later.

I like generosity. A lot. I think generosity shows strength of character. Helping is generous.

Further, dialogue forces people to articulate ideas.
If you can articulate an idea—that is, explain its content, not merely assert its content—you are
forced to have a clear conception of the idea yourself.

generis generally generous person :)

also sounds ;)

V

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 09:43
GKomoku wrote:
generis wrote:

generis generally generous person :)

also sounds ;)

GKomoku - thank you for the compliment! Much appreciated.

I needed to change my username, so I chose a term from the law.
I figured that since I had withstood an onslaught of Latin terms
while reading legalese,
I might as well make use of having learned a few.

I like your pun! :-D
(I am so used to Latin phrases that I did not think about the fact that
the handle's pronunciation would . . . um. . . sound like a word in English.
I know. Writers and editors can be absent-minded professors.)

True story: In my section at HLS, professors tried to impale students on the horns of a dilemma.

(Professors tried to get a student to commit to one argument. That move then allowed the professor
to make a devastating opposite argument, at which point the student looked foolish.
The purpose of the approach derives in part from the Socratic method: students understand that
most legal questions do not have a "correct" answer. Quickly. :lol: )

As a first year, I refused to answer, directly, one grouchy professor's question.
Professors at HLS in my section called directly on students.

He asked some hideous question about contracts.
I replied, "If I answer with X, you will say Y. If I answer with Y, you will say X. I decline to answer."

His eyes got big. His face got red. "You cannot decline to answer!"
Reply: "I just did, sir."

Ten seconds of silence.
Then he announced with a grin,
"You are sui generis. Very loose translation: peculiar and without precedent."

I just nodded. I'd said enough.

You, too, are generous. You share materials, encourage others, and give out kudos frequently.

In short, you and others set a very good example. I appreciate the latter. Thanks again. :)

Choose life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 10:46
generis wrote:
"You are sui generis. Very loose translation: peculiar and without precedent."

I just nodded. I'd said enough.

now I know the story behind "generis" ;)
Attachments

a34efdc25fe1516ab905c98a39359b8485ee8388_hq.gif
a34efdc25fe1516ab905c98a39359b8485ee8388_hq.gif [ 289.43 KiB | Viewed 2211 times ]

Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 02:54
In addition to all the things that folks have mentioned before, I would just like to add, rather emphasise, on another possible issue with A.

^ designed to combat certain types appears to modify recent years and that is another reason to rule out A - just in case, you are not too confident about the exact idiom (prohibit X from Y).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2019, 02:54

Although minors are prohibited by federal law to purchase alcohol

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics