GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

     January 21, 2019

     January 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1624
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 18:48
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:29) correct 46% (01:37) wrong based on 177 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar in the lobby, we should not go forward with this plan. Installing a snack bar in the lobby would not be in everyone's best interest. If people start bringing more snacks into the theater, the delicate furniture will become dirty more quickly.
The argument depends on which of the following?
A. If a snack bar were placed in the lobby, patrons would consume more snacks in the theater as a result.
B. The amount of snacks that most theater patrons consume does not cause the furniture to become dirty.
C. The theater will probably be cleaner if snacks are banned completely than if patrons are only permitted to have one snack.
D. Patrons will not simply bring snacks from home if the snack bar is not installed in the lobby.
E. The theater's primary concern should be to maintain a clean environment.

_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done.
Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 670
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 21:30
2
aragonn wrote:
Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar in the lobby, we should not go forward with this plan. Installing a snack bar in the lobby would not be in everyone's best interest. If people start bringing more snacks into the theater, the delicate furniture will become dirty more quickly.
The argument depends on which of the following?
A. If a snack bar were placed in the lobby, patrons would consume more snacks in the theater as a result.
B. The amount of snacks that most theater patrons consume does not cause the furniture to become dirty.
C. The theater will probably be cleaner if snacks are banned completely than if patrons are only permitted to have one snack.
D. Patrons will not simply bring snacks from home if the snack bar is not installed in the lobby.
E. The theater's primary concern should be to maintain a clean environment.


IMO D.

It is a find assumption type of question. We are supposed the find the link that connects the conclusion of :If people start bringing more snacks into the theater, the delicate furniture will become dirty more quickly with premise supporting it - existence of a snack bar in the lobby.

A. If a snack bar were placed in the lobby, patrons would consume more snacks in the theater as a result. Strengthens the argument, we want an implicit assumption.
B. The amount of snacks that most theater patrons consume does not cause the furniture to become dirty. weakens the argument , but not an assumption made.
C. The theater will probably be cleaner if snacks are banned completely than if patrons are only permitted to have one snack. grossly irrelevant / unrelated to the argument about snack bar.
D. Patrons will not simply bring snacks from home if the snack bar is not installed in the lobby. Perfect! This is the assumption on which premise connects conclusion. If people bring snacks from home the theater would still get dirty with ot without the presence of a snack bar.
E. The theater's primary concern should be to maintain a clean environment. Unrelated to argument,

Hence D.

Please give me a +1 kudos if you liked the explanation...

Best,
Gladi
_________________

Regards,
Gladi



“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 44
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 00:02
1
Gladiator59 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar in the lobby, we should not go forward with this plan. Installing a snack bar in the lobby would not be in everyone's best interest. If people start bringing more snacks into the theater, the delicate furniture will become dirty more quickly.
The argument depends on which of the following?
A. If a snack bar were placed in the lobby, patrons would consume more snacks in the theater as a result.
B. The amount of snacks that most theater patrons consume does not cause the furniture to become dirty.
C. The theater will probably be cleaner if snacks are banned completely than if patrons are only permitted to have one snack.
D. Patrons will not simply bring snacks from home if the snack bar is not installed in the lobby.
E. The theater's primary concern should be to maintain a clean environment.


IMO D.

It is a find assumption type of question. We are supposed the find the link that connects the conclusion of :If people start bringing more snacks into the theater, the delicate furniture will become dirty more quickly with premise supporting it - existence of a snack bar in the lobby.

A. If a snack bar were placed in the lobby, patrons would consume more snacks in the theater as a result. Strengthens the argument, we want an implicit assumption.
B. The amount of snacks that most theater patrons consume does not cause the furniture to become dirty. weakens the argument , but not an assumption made.
C. The theater will probably be cleaner if snacks are banned completely than if patrons are only permitted to have one snack. grossly irrelevant / unrelated to the argument about snack bar.
D. Patrons will not simply bring snacks from home if the snack bar is not installed in the lobby. Perfect! This is the assumption on which premise connects conclusion. If people bring snacks from home the theater would still get dirty with ot without the presence of a snack bar.
E. The theater's primary concern should be to maintain a clean environment. Unrelated to argument,

Hence D.

Please give me a +1 kudos if you liked the explanation...

Best,
Gladi

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking of E. Environment is broad

Sent from my D6503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1219
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 00:35
Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar in the lobby, we should not go forward with this plan. Installing a snack bar in the lobby would not be in everyone's best interest. If people start bringing more snacks into the theater, the delicate furniture will become dirty more quickly.

The argument depends on which of the following?

A. If a snack bar were placed in the lobby, patrons would consume more snacks in the theater as a result. --This info is already given in the argument.
B. The amount of snacks that most theater patrons consume does not cause the furniture to become dirty. --This weakens the argument
C. The theater will probably be cleaner if snacks are banned completely than if patrons are only permitted to have one snack. --We don't know. This is a hypothetical scenario
D. Patrons will not simply bring snacks from home if the snack bar is not installed in the lobby. --Correct.
E. The theater's primary concern should be to maintain a clean environment. --Argument is not about primary concern of theatre's management
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done.
Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 670
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 04:18
aaronTgmaT wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking of E. Environment is broad

Sent from my D6503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hi aaronTgmaT,
Glad I could help,
+1 Kudos button is a better way to appreciate than a repost with "thanks".

Best,
Gladi
_________________

Regards,
Gladi



“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 182
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Marketing (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 19:14
D seems to justify the assumption that the only way to get snacks is from the snack bar.

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 19:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although the theater would increase its revenue by placing a snack bar

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.