GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Nov 2018, 02:50

Thanksgiving Holiday

GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open until midnight Nov 22, Pacific Time

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

We will start promptly at 09 AM Pacific Time. Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:59) correct 35% (01:32) wrong based on 244 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different types of books. She then codes each book with either a single letter or a pair of two different letters. If each type of book is uniquely represented by either a single letter or pair of letters, what is the smallest number of letters Amy will need to create the codes for all 10 types of books? (Assume the order of letters in a pair does not matter.)

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
D) 10
E) 20

OE:
The question asks for the smallest value of n, such that (n + nC2) = 10 (n represents the number of letters. In this equation, n by itself is for single-letter codes and nC2 is for two-letter codes).

At this point, you'd need to pick numbers, since there's really no easy way to solve nC2 = (10 – n) without a calculator.
Looking at the answer choices, you can eliminate 10 and 20, so you can quickly narrow down the values you need to test. (i.e. (10 – n) suggests n can not be greater than 10.)

As a general rule, whenever you're asked for the smallest value that satisfies a condition, start by testing the smallest number in the answers. Conversely, if you're asked for the largest value, start with the greatest answer.
Plug-in n=4 to (n + nC2) = (4 + 4C2) = 4 + (4x3 /2) = (4 + 6) = 10

Hi, I want to know whether this reverse combination calculation is the GMAT style questions, please.
I have not seen one in the Official question.

Originally posted by goodyear2013 on 11 Apr 2014, 14:34.
Last edited by goodyear2013 on 12 Apr 2014, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2014, 18:11
I wrote all possible answer choices down:
A
AB (since Order does not matter we will not take BA into account)
B
CA
CB
C
DA
DB
DC
D
VP
VP
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2014, 22:49
Fairly straightforward question. No reason for it to not be "GMAT style"

a) Three letters give : 3 + 3C2 = 3 + 3 = 6

b) Four letters give : 4 + 4C2 = 4 + 12 = 16

So, answer is B

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2014, 23:45
MacFauz wrote:
Fairly straightforward question. No reason for it to not be "GMAT style"

a) Three letters give : 3 + 3P2 = 3 + 6 = 9
So, we will need more than 3
So, answer is B

Hello - Just a quick thing, the question says "the order of the letter does not matter", so we should be using combinations and permutations.

-----------------------
Kudos, if my post helped
VP
VP
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2014, 00:09
Oops.. Sorry.. My mistake.. Edited above post.. :)

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2014, 02:26
goodyear2013 wrote:
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different types of books. She then codes each book with either a single letter or a pair of two different letters. If each type of book is uniquely represented by either a single letter or pair of letters, what is the smallest number of letters Amy will need to create the codes for all 10 types of books? (Assume the order of letters in a pair does not matter.)

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
D) 10
E) 20

OE:
The question asks for the smallest value of n, such that (n + nC2) = 10 (n represents the number of letters. In this equation, n by itself is for single-letter codes and nC2 is for two-letter codes).

At this point, you'd need to pick numbers, since there's really no easy way to solve nC2 = (10 – n) without a calculator.
Looking at the answer choices, you can eliminate 10 and 20, so you can quickly narrow down the values you need to test. (i.e. (10 – n) suggests n can not be less than 10.)

As a general rule, whenever you're asked for the smallest value that satisfies a condition, start by testing the smallest number in the answers. Conversely, if you're asked for the largest value, start with the greatest answer.
Plug-in n=4 to (n + nC2) = (4 + 4C2) = 4 + (4x3 /2) = (4 + 6) = 10

Hi, I want to know whether this reverse combination calculation is the GMAT style questions, please.
I have not seen one in the Official question.

Similar questions to practice:
each-student-at-a-certain-university-is-given-a-four-charact-151945.html
all-of-the-stocks-on-the-over-the-counter-market-are-126630.html
if-a-code-word-is-defined-to-be-a-sequence-of-different-126652.html
a-4-letter-code-word-consists-of-letters-a-b-and-c-if-the-59065.html
a-5-digit-code-consists-of-one-number-digit-chosen-from-132263.html
a-company-that-ships-boxes-to-a-total-of-12-distribution-95946.html
a-company-plans-to-assign-identification-numbers-to-its-empl-69248.html
the-security-gate-at-a-storage-facility-requires-a-five-109932.html
all-of-the-bonds-on-a-certain-exchange-are-designated-by-a-150820.html
a-local-bank-that-has-15-branches-uses-a-two-digit-code-to-98109.html
a-researcher-plans-to-identify-each-participant-in-a-certain-134584.html
baker-s-dozen-128782-20.html#p1057502
in-a-certain-appliance-store-each-model-of-television-is-136646.html
m04q29-color-coding-70074.html
john-has-12-clients-and-he-wants-to-use-color-coding-to-iden-107307.html
how-many-4-digit-even-numbers-do-not-use-any-digit-more-than-101874.html
a-certain-stock-exchange-designates-each-stock-with-a-85831.html
the-simplastic-language-has-only-2-unique-values-and-105845.html
m04q29-color-coding-70074.html
a-researcher-plans-to-identify-each-participant-in-a-certain-134584-20.html

Hope this helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 06:26
This looks like a pattern question. i tried to just understand what they were asking and picked out some letters to test:

if 1 letter, only allowed 1 code (i.e. A)

if 2 letters, allowed 3 codes (i.e. A, B, AB)

if 3 letters, allowed 6 codes (i.e. A, B, C, AB, AC, BC)

if 4 letters, allowed 10 codes (i.e. A, B, C, D, AB, AC, AD, BC, BD, CD)

kudos if helpful :)
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 06:32
three letters could be enough for uniquely naming 9 books i.e (3! *3) and remaining 1 could be named by taking one more letter under consideration.
Least total letters would be 10
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Sep 2018, 19:11

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:
1) How do i rephrase this question? The Kaplan answer is not so easy to understand ( at least for me)
2) without getting into too many calculations, how can i solve this?

Thank you for your help.

Originally posted by Cinematiccuisine on 04 Sep 2018, 15:46.
Last edited by chetan2u on 04 Sep 2018, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Updated topic name
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S
Re: Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 16:42
Cinematiccuisine wrote:

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:
1) How do i rephrase this question? The Kaplan answer is not so easy to understand ( at least for me)

Thank you for your help.

Hi Cinematiccuisine!

Happy to help :-)

Since the numbers we're dealing with here are small, it is probably easiest to just solve this manually, at first, at least to understand what the question is asking about. Amy is labeling each type of book with either one or two letters. If she is using just one letter, this means there is only one code she can use:

A

If she is using two letters, then there are three:

A
B
AB

We are told that the order of the letters doesn't matter, so we don't have to worry about counting AB and BA separately. Now, with three letters, we have all of the above combinations, plus three more:

C
AC
BC

That's six total. If we add one more, then we have those six plus four more:

D
AD
BD
CD

And that give us 10 possible codes, which is what the question is asking for :-) So the answer is 4.

Now, if the number was much bigger, then we might need to create a formula to solve this. The easiest way to do that is to just notice the pattern. Every time we add a new letter, we get one more code (just that letter), plus the number of letters that we already have, which create the combinations of mixed letters (like AD, BD, CD). So adding C gave us 3 more codes, adding D gives us 4 more codes, adding E gives us 5 more codes, and so on. We can use that pattern to determine the number of possible codes at pretty much any step :-)

We can write this out in terms of combinations, too. If N is the number of letters that we're using, then the number of codes can be written as:

N + NC2

So with four letters, we get 4 + 4C2 = 10 different codes.

I hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Math Expert
V
Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has 10 different  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 19:20
Cinematiccuisine wrote:

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:

Thank you for your help.

Please put the first few words as the topic name.

What it means?
10 books have to be given a code as a single letter such as A, B etc or as a double letter such as AB, BA, AC etc. AB and BA will be different as both are different as code

Solution
Let the number of letters required is n,
So single digits will be n
Two digits will be nC2........
.we are not multiplying with 2! because order does not matter.
So \(n+nC2\geq{10}\)........\(n+\frac{n!}{(n-2)!2!}\geq{10}........n+n(n-1)/2\geq{10}...............(2n+n^2-n}\geq{20}............n(n+1)\geq{20}.........n(n+1)\geq{4*5}..\)
So minimum value = 4

B

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 19:40
Cinematiccuisine wrote:

A) 3
B) 4
C) 5
F) 10
E) 20

Questions:

Thank you for your help.

Merging topics.

Please follow the rules when posting a question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-po ... 33935.html

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V35
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 02:42
The question asks what is the smallest number of letters required to create at least 10 unique codes. Because the question told us that the books are numbered by EITHER a single letter or 2 different letters, and we need to find the least number of letters to create 10 codes, we can safely look into the situation in which all books are numbered by 2 different letters.

Let's call "n" is the number of letters we need to find, then we have

n x n(-1) >= 10
4 x 3 =12 -> MORE than 10 -> keep this
3 x 2 = 6 -> LESS than 10 -> discard
5 x 4 = 20 -> MORE than 10 -> but n=5 < 4 -> we pick the n=4
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 09:46
For these type of questions, let us assume that n distinct letters/digits are required.

then for second code of two digits numbers can be selected as nC2

thus we get total number of options :
10 = n+ nC2
=> 2n + n(n-1) = 20
=> n^2-n-20=0
=> (n-5)(n+4)=0
or n=5 as n cannot be negative.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 09:46

Amy is organizing her bookshelves and finds that she has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap