Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2411 [469]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [48]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [35]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [2]
Send PM
Re: Any medical test will sometimes fail to detect a condition when it is [#permalink]
Kudos
I have no idea how to break this sentence down. MY AC is a D.

I eliminated any AC with "that" because it doenst serve either as a linking conjuction or as introducing a relative clause. If its introduces a relative clause it doesnt follow parallelism.

Root Phrase: Any medical test will sometimes fail to (1) detect when a condition is present <AND> (2) indicate its presence when it not.

Element (1): Phrase.
Element (2): Phrase.

All other answer choices break the parallelism mold becuase the element (1) and (2) are never parallel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [1]
Send PM
Re: Any medical test will sometimes fail to detect a condition when it is [#permalink]
Kudos
gmataquaguy wrote:
I have no idea how to break this sentence down. MY AC is a D.

I eliminated any AC with "that" because it doenst serve either as a linking conjuction or as introducing a relative clause. If its introduces a relative clause it doesnt follow parallelism.

Root Phrase: Any medical test will sometimes fail to (1) detect when a condition is present <AND> (2) indicate its presence when it not.

Element (1): Phrase.
Element (2): Phrase.

All other answer choices break the parallelism mold becuase the element (1) and (2) are never parallel.

What is the OE for C? I havent seen a convincing response yet. Also doesnt AC "C" break the parallellism rule? And "that" introduces a restrictive clause. So what is the conjuction "and" really joining? 2 unequal parts? How is that even possible? "And" should always be used as a coordinating conjuction, joining equal parts. Where are the equal parts here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Ross
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Any medical test will sometimes fail to detect a condition when it is present and indicate that there is one when it is not.
(A) a condition when it is present and indicate that there is one - pronoun confusion and 'there is' is almost always wrong
(B) when a condition is present and indicate that there is one - 'there is' is almost always wrong
(C) a condition when it is present and indicate that it is present - This is correct
(D) when a condition is present and indicate its presence - awkward
(E) the presence of a condition when it is there and indicate its presence - awkward
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [11]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(C) a condition when it is present and indicate that it is present
Correct. This choice is more concise and clear.

(E) the presence of a condition when it is there and indicate its presence
-In first underlined part: The use of pronoun "it" is ambiguous as it is wrongly referring to "presence" (action noun) rather than the "condition".
-In second underlined part: "indicate its presence when it is not" is incorrect as it means "indicate condition's presence when it condition is not", which is wordy and doesn't make much sense. We should say "indicate that it [condition] is present when it is not [present]." Words in the bracket are implied.
- Also structure "a condition when it is present" is more concise.

One of the generic guideline to prefer verb to action noun. (Remember: its not a rule but a guideline) - MGMAT SC guide
Pattern: Prefer verb to action noun
o Wordy: The townspeople’s revolution was against the king.
 Revolution is a noun that expresses an action
o Better: The townspeople revolted against the king.

"a condition when it is present" is more concise and clearer than "the presence of condition when it is there". ("presence" is the action noun here)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [1]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Kudos
Click on the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-nFHxSaPE to better explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [5]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A) the word "there" refers to "a condition." If you replace "there" with "a condition," you get: "fail to detect a condition when it is present and indicate that a condition is one when it is not." "A condition is one" doesn't make sense.

B) Same issue as A.

C) Correct - parallel
"fail to detect... a condition.......... when it is present" and
"indicate.......... that it is present... when it is not"

D) present and presence - not parallel

E) looks like it is correct. but actually 'its' refers to the condition. So, it's wrong
"fail to detect... the presence of a condition.... when it is there" and
"indicate.......... its presence......................... when it is not"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [4]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Remember here "it" is referring to "condition"

(A) a condition when it is present and indicate that there is one
Incorrect. "one" cannot replace a pronoun

(B) when a condition is present and indicate that there is one
Incorrect. One cannot replace a pronoun. "sometimes fail to detect when" is redundant statement. The statement could be "it fail to detect when..." If you are mentioning "when" a thing is going to happen then "sometimes" is not really needed. :wink:

Correct.

(D) when a condition is present and indicate its presence
Incorrect. Same as B

Wordy. So fall back when compared with option C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [12]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Mountain14 wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
Any medical test will sometimes fail to detect a condition when it is present and indicate that there is one when it is not.

(A) a condition when it is present and indicate that there is one
(B) when a condition is present and indicate that there is one
(D) when a condition is present and indicate its presence

Hi, I added this question as other posts don't include OA.

Guys,

I understood that A is wrong, but in day to day language we use " one" quite often. So , in which type of sentence " one" would be correct?

Thanks in advance for explaining.

~M14

The key to this sentence is seeing the full parallelism at work. "A condition" and "one" are indeed parallel. Still, the parallelism must be maintained throughout the structure too. The real comparison is between the predicates: "detect a condition when it is present" and "indicate that it is present when it is not." "There is one" is not parallel because "there" is explicative construction, thus inverting the sentence. So, the type of sentence that uses "one" correctly is...

"detect that there is a condition when it is present and indicate there is one when it is not."

I hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [6]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos