It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As the result of a medical experiment

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 257

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge
As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 06:11
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:22) correct 47% (01:26) wrong based on 763 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As the result of a medical experiment, Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony without becoming violently ill.
A) no longer desired to behave violently lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
B) no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and is no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
C) no longer able to behave violently and lewdly and becoming violently ill, is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony."
D) no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly, but was also unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
E) no longer able to behave violently or lewdly, but he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.



[Reveal] Spoiler:
Explanation:
The sentence shows two opposite results of the same experiment, the positive results and the negative results. To show the contrast between the two opposite results, the conjunction but is a better choice than and. Was no longer able to listen is separate verb phrase, not part of the list of the type of behaviors that Alex had ceased; therefore, a conjunction should be placed in between violently and lewdly to show the termination of the list.

The lack of a conjunction between violently and lewdly creates confusion. And is not the best choice of conjunction for this sentence.
The lack of a conjunction between violently and lewdly creates confusion. And is not the best choice of conjunction for this sentence. Is is the incorrect tense. Since desired is in the past tense, is should be in the past tense form, was.
No longer able to behave violently or lewdly is an absolute phrase modifying Alex DeLarge. Since it does not contain a verb, the conjunction and is unnecessary. Becoming violently ill is also incorrectly placed because it does not have a noun following it to modify. Immediately following this participial phrase is is, which is a verb.
The conjunction or is correctly placed between violently and lewdly to show that the list has terminated. The use of the conjunction but shows the contrast between the two verb phrases.
No longer able to behave violently or lewdly is an absolute phrase modifying Alex DeLarge. Since it does not contain a verb, the conjunction but is unnecessary.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 284

Kudos [?]: 324 [2], given: 1

Location: India
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 20:28
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Meaning :

This sentence shows contrast. The main character no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly. However, he could not listen to the symphony without becoming violently ill also.

A. contrast is missing

B. same reason as above . Also, changes the tense.

C. awkward construction (2 verbs without any connector for a single subject)

D. no Parallelism error. Meaning clear.

E. parallelism error. (X but Y) X and Y not parallel. (with respect to the meaning of X & Y)
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Kudos [?]: 324 [2], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 257

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 05:57
can you explain E in more details?
_________________

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 395

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 20:31
Can someone explain why C is wrong?

In D, I think the action "unable to listen" still continues forever (because this action is about a Alex DeLarge, character of the film A Clockwork Orange), so how can we use past tense (which means the action completed at some time in the past) for this action?

Expert, please clarify my doubt! Many thanks!
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Apr 2017
Posts: 31

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 23:01
nahid78 wrote:
can you explain E in more details?


Hi Nahid,

Before you analyze any kind of grammatical mistake in E, take a look at E again. It uses "able" instead of the original word "desired". Do both these words convey the same meaning?

So, let's say you add "is" or "was" in front of "able" to make it a verb and, hence make it parallel with the but he is unable to portion. You get the following sentence:

As the result of a medical experiment, Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and (is/was) no longer able to behave violently or lewdly, but he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.

Even then Choice E is NOT correct. This is because the meaning given by the original sentence is compromised in it . The original sentence suggests that the subject did not desire to do something - in other words, he did NOT want to do something; however, choice E (in both versions - grammatically non-parallel and parallel) says that he was no longer able to do something - nothing about whether he wanted to do so or not.

Regards

Last edited by neetis5 on 02 Apr 2017, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3227

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 00:16
nahid78 wrote:
can you explain E in more details?


Option E does not have a main verb:
Alex DeLarge no longer able to behave... the verb "was" is missing before "no longer" ("able" is an adjective, not a verb).

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3227

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 00:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
leanhdung wrote:
Can someone explain why C is wrong?

In D, I think the action "unable to listen" still continues forever (because this action is about a Alex DeLarge, character of the film A Clockwork Orange), so how can we use past tense (which means the action completed at some time in the past) for this action?

Expert, please clarify my doubt! Many thanks!


Two consecutive modifiers (without a conjunction in between) referring to the same noun is considered wrong in GMAT.

The modifiers "the main character of A Clockwork Orange" and "no longer able to behave violently and lewdly" should refer to "Alex DeLarge", but there is no conjunction between these modifiers - hence the second modifier wrongly modifies "A Clockwork Orange" rather than "Alex DeLarge".
Moreover wrong meaning is conveyed in option C - it is not clear that "he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill." The sentence implies that by becoming violently ill, he is unable to listen to the symphony - (...becoming violently ill, is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony").


Option D:
The event is within a movie (or may be a drama) "A Clockwork Orange". So simple past is alright. It is not known whether Alex DeLarge really exists or whether he is still unable to listen. (However your understanding of usage of tense is correct.)

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3227

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 01:55
gargisback wrote:

Hi syantank,
Dont you think in the option D comma is used before the cordinating conjuction but however no subject is present in the clause introduced. Shouldn't the answer choice have a subject. "he was no longer able to behave violently and lewdly" rather than "was no longer able to behave violently and lewdly"


Your observation is valid. Ideally, the comma should not have been there or there should have been the subject after the comma.

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2014
Posts: 164

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 144

CAT Tests
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 05:03
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Meaning :

This sentence shows contrast. The main character no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly. However, he could not listen to the symphony without becoming violently ill also.

A. contrast is missing

B. same reason as above . Also, changes the tense.

C. awkward construction (2 verbs without any connector for a single subject)

D. no Parallelism error. Meaning clear.

E. parallelism error. (X but Y) X and Y not parallel. (with respect to the meaning of X & Y)


Hi, Kindly help me in clearing th doubt
In D meaning is clear, but there is no subject after, but...........
we have 1 independent clause on one side- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but was unable.......
I know that since the subject is same, so the repetition of he (Alex DeLarge) is not required. But without the comma this sentence stands fine as -Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently but was unable to........

According to me, Option D looks good if it stands out as- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but he was unable...

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 144

Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2857

Kudos [?]: 965 [0], given: 69

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 05:17
sunny91 wrote:
Hi, Kindly help me in clearing th doubt
In D meaning is clear, but there is no subject after, but...........
we have 1 independent clause on one side- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but was unable.......
I know that since the subject is same, so the repetition of he (Alex DeLarge) is not required. But without the comma this sentence stands fine as -Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently but was unable to........

According to me, Option D looks good if it stands out as- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but he was unable...


Hi sunny91 ,

Remember one thing: Whenever you have more than one list in a sentence and you want to add more elements to the main list rather than the sub list, you MUST always separate the lists using a comma.

For example:

I want to go to US or Germany and want to have a great party.

This sentence has two lists:

1. I want to go
I want to party

2. List of places I wanna go: US and Germany.

Now, this sentence is incorrect because the 2nd clause after and should be connected to main list.

To use it correctly, I MUST use a comma as follows:

I want to go to US or Germany, and want to have a great party.

This question stem is working on the same principle.

Let me know in case of any concern.
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 965 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2016
Posts: 23

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 171

Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 09:35
nahid78 wrote:
As the result of a medical experiment, Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony without becoming violently ill.
A) no longer desired to behave violently lewdly, and was no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
B) no longer desired to behave violently, lewdly, and is no longer able to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
C) no longer able to behave violently and lewdly and becoming violently ill, is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony."
D) no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly, but was also unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.
E) no longer able to behave violently or lewdly, but he is unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.



How do you select between the options A and D? How do you come to know, if any, parallelism is required here?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 171

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 56

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 64

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 10:28
The reason you go out looking for parallelism is violently and lewdly both are adjectives so these must be connected properly to make them parallel.
"OR" is used correctly in choice D, connecting the two adjectives properly.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Regards
SandySilva


____________
Hit kudos if my post helped (:

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2014
Posts: 164

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 144

CAT Tests
Re: As the result of a medical experiment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 13:32
[fraction][/fraction]
abhimahna wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
Hi, Kindly help me in clearing th doubt
In D meaning is clear, but there is no subject after, but...........
we have 1 independent clause on one side- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but was unable.......
I know that since the subject is same, so the repetition of he (Alex DeLarge) is not required. But without the comma this sentence stands fine as -Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently but was unable to........

According to me, Option D looks good if it stands out as- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently, but he was unable...


Hi sunny91 ,

Remember one thing: Whenever you have more than one list in a sentence and you want to add more elements to the main list rather than the sub list, you MUST always separate the lists using a comma.

For example:

I want to go to US or Germany and want to have a great party.

This sentence has two lists:

1. I want to go
I want to party

2. List of places I wanna go: US and Germany.

Now, this sentence is incorrect because the 2nd clause after and should be connected to main list.

To use it correctly, I MUST use a comma as follows:

I want to go to US or Germany, and want to have a great party.

This question stem is working on the same principle.

Let me know in case of any concern.



Hi Abhimahna,
Thanks for the reply. I have the below queries. Please help me to understand.
Don't the sentence violates
I want to go to US or Germany, and want to have a great party.
I want to go to US or Germany - independent clause 1
want to have a great party- thought 2.
Now, the subject is same. So, we can write I want to go to US or Germany, and I want to have a great party. or I want to go to US or Germany and want to have a great party.

Below, is another example- I study in the morning, and I play in the evening.
I study in the morning and play in the evening.
So, in option D- Alex DeLarge, the main character of A Clockwork Orange, no longer desired to behave violently or lewdly. (independent clause)
, but was also unable to listen to Beethoven's "9th Symphony" without becoming violently ill.( another thought but subject is missing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 144

Re: As the result of a medical experiment   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2017, 13:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

As the result of a medical experiment

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.