Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Ask Accepted.com [#permalink]
Kudos
That's a relief.

Thanks again Linda :)

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Hi, Linda,

I've pursued Master of Science, majored Biotechnology, from Gujarat University and i do have work experience of ~9.5 years in biologics manufacturing sector in India. Recently, 1 year back, i have switched the function from manufacturing sector to Business Development of a start-up, ~3.5 years old, which manufactures (propitiatory) Bioreactor for Biologics sector. Meanwhile i was preparing for the GMAT and i took the test in Dec-19 but i scored poorly, scored 470, especially in verbal section. Nonetheless, after chill of a month, i plan to resume my preparation to achieve target score of 750+ to get admission in top 10 B-schools. My concerns are mentioned below.
1) Shall i prefer for P.hd. in management or MBA?
2) What are best B-schools and courses for my profile?
3) Lately, Harvard B-school introduced MS + MBA with Biotechnology. So, is it better or other courses are better for me? As it's recently started, what is the profile and admission details for the course of current/past batch? What GMAT score is preferred for the course? What opportunities will be for me with the course?
4) Are there any similar MBA courses with Biotechnology? If yes, what are requirements for those B-schools?

Your guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Raxit.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi, Linda,

I've pursued Master of Science, majored Biotechnology, from Gujarat University and i do have work experience of ~9.5 years in biologics manufacturing sector in India. Recently, 1 year back, i have switched the function from manufacturing sector to Business Development of a start-up, ~3.5 years old, which manufactures (propitiatory) Bioreactor for Biologics sector. Meanwhile i was preparing for the GMAT and i took the test in Dec-19 but i scored poorly, scored 470, especially in verbal section. Nonetheless, after chill of a month, i plan to resume my preparation to achieve target score of 750+ to get admission in top 10 B-schools. My concerns are mentioned below.
1) Shall i prefer for P.hd. in management or MBA?
2) What are best B-schools and courses for my profile?
3) Lately, Harvard B-school introduced MS + MBA with Biotechnology. So, is it better or other courses are better for me? As it's recently started, what is the profile and admission details for the course of current/past batch? What GMAT score is preferred for the course? What opportunities will be for me with the course?
4) Are there any similar MBA courses with Biotechnology? If yes, what are requirements for those B-schools?

Your guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Raxit.

Hi Raxit,

I'll address your questions if I can:

1. The MBA and the PhD in business are very different degrees with different goals. Usually the PhD requires research and in most cases leads to teaching or research positions. The MBA prepares people for management and leadership roles. What you want to do after your degree should determine which degree you pursue.
2. I don't have enough information to say what schools you should pursue. I suggest you first retake the GMAT and know what score you're dealing with.
3. Please see https://www.hbs.edu/mba/academic-experi ... fault.aspx .
4. There are other programs, but I'd prefer to recommend additional programs after you get your GMAT score.

Best,
Linda
Director
Director
Send PM
Ask Accepted.com [#permalink]
Hi, Linda,

Thanks for your response. Find below my answers and please feel free to ask any more information to guide me.

1. The MBA and the PhD in business are very different degrees with different goals. Usually the PhD requires research and in most cases leads to teaching or research positions. The MBA prepares people for management and leadership roles. What you want to do after your degree should determine which degree you pursue. - After doing study, i'd like to do job in the biotech sector or consultancy sector for 3 to 5 years. Following that, i'd like to start my own venture, to become entrepreneur.
2. I don't have enough information to say what schools you should pursue. I suggest you first retake the GMAT and know what score you're dealing with. - Yes, i agree that i need to jump my score significantly to get into top B schools and i am chasing for that. My target score is 750+.
3. Please see https://www.hbs.edu/mba/academic-experi ... fault.aspx . - I saw the website link but could not find the class profile of MS/MBA current/past batch.
4. There are other programs, but I'd prefer to recommend additional programs after you get your GMAT score. - What kind of courses do you recommend?

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello! Linda!
so I'm going to introduce myself I'm a 27 y.o. Hispanic Electrical engineer from D.R., I grew up in Mexico.
My dad is Mexican, my mom is Dominican.

I recently took the GMAT/GRE practice test just to see where I'm standing at the moment, (I'm applying to 2021 class, 1st round in September 2020) and in both test I had a 60% percentile (Q/V), just started studying to try to reach out the 85%/90% percentile (Q/V). I'm studying 20 hours per week and will do both tests in May, probably will re-take them in June, depending on official my scores, so I've been studying hard!

Regarding my college stats:
my GPA at college was 86% I was top 5 of my class. (the highest GPA of my class was 92%).
Electrical engineering major.
I also did a course on entrepreneurship at a top private college in central Europe last year summer.

My professional experience is as follow:

While at college:
- Summer research at University Wisconsin Madison (I was a sophomore in college)
- Engineer consultant in a Mexican small electrical consulting company (During my senior year at college)
- Engineer intern at a non-profit in upstate New York (Short internship during my last summer of college)

After college:
+ Renewable energy consultant in a Chinese corporation (I relocated there and lived in China for a year and a half )
+Power Distribution engineer lead at a Forbes 500 (MBA feeder corporation) American manufacturing company in Europe (I relocated to Europe for 2 years.)
+ I'm currently the co-founder of an European start-up software company, I'm the CTO (the start-up is pretty small, it's a 7 people start-up and we all work remotely and meet up every month) we recently got fund from European investors.
+Relocated to Hong Kong, where I'm going to work as the head of the R&D department of an electrical engineering hong kongnese company.

That's about 3.5 years of professional experience, will have roughly 4 years when I apply to B-school and 4.5 when I start it (2021)

My extracurriculars were:

Vicepresident of a leadership development program chapter in my city. (While at college)
Photography (Recently)
Prizes:
I was awarded youth innovator prize 2018 from a Czech think tank.

My post-MBA goals are:
use the MBA platform to transition from a heavily manufacturing-energy professional background to a business-oriented one, also to use the MBA ecosystem to create greater impact (VC, Incubator) entrepreneurial-wise, cause I want to focus more on developing my entrepreneurial side.
I could also transition into management consulting for a few years and then set-up my own business.

So that's my resume, in a nutshell, I honestly don't know where to apply, since I'm an international I feel like the top 10 MBA programs in the US/UK might be out of reach?

Your take will be greatly appreciated, especially if you think my profile fits a competitive program in the US/UK, given that I'm studying for my tests

I think I saw one of your webinars a couple weeks ago.
Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by bonillajulius on 19 Jan 2020, 20:30.
Last edited by bonillajulius on 19 Jan 2020, 20:49, edited 2 times in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi, Linda,

Thanks for your response. Find below my answers and please feel free to ask any more information to guide me.

1. The MBA and the PhD in business are very different degrees with different goals. Usually the PhD requires research and in most cases leads to teaching or research positions. The MBA prepares people for management and leadership roles. What you want to do after your degree should determine which degree you pursue. - After doing study, i'd like to do job in the biotech sector or consultancy sector for 3 to 5 years. Following that, i'd like to start my own venture, to become entrepreneur.
2. I don't have enough information to say what schools you should pursue. I suggest you first retake the GMAT and know what score you're dealing with. - Yes, i agree that i need to jump my score significantly to get into top B schools and i am chasing for that. My target score is 750+.
3. Please see https://www.hbs.edu/mba/academic-experi ... fault.aspx . - I saw the website link but could not find the class profile of MS/MBA current/past batch.
4. There are other programs, but I'd prefer to recommend additional programs after you get your GMAT score. - What kind of courses do you recommend?

Regards.

Thanks for the additional info.

Given your goals, an MBA is probably the better degree for you.

There isn't a class profile, because I believe this is the first class of this program. Haravrd is enrolling its first class this summer. However the HBS class profile will give you a good proxy until the class is enrolled.

Best,
Linda
Send PM
Expert Reply
bonillajulius wrote:
Hello! guys, so I'm a Hispanic Electrical engineer from D.R., I grew up in Mexico.
My dad is Mexican, my mom is Dominican.

I recently took the GMAT/GRE practice test just to see where I'm standing at the moment, (I'm applying to 2021 class, 1st round in September 2020) and in both test I had a 60% percentile (Q/V), just started studying to try to reach out the 85%/90% percentile (Q/V). I'm studying 20 hours per week and will do both tests in May, probably will re-take them in June, depending on official my scores, so I've been studying hard!

Regarding my college stats:
my GPA at college was 86% I was top 5 of my class. (the highest GPA of my class was 92%).
Electrical engineering major.
I also did a course on entrepreneurship at a top private college in central Europe last year summer.

My professional experience is as follow:

While at college:
- Summer research at University Wisconsin Madison (I was a sophomore in college)
- Engineer consultant in a Mexican small electrical consulting company (During my senior year at college)
- Engineer intern at a non-profit in upstate New York (Short internship during my last summer of college)

After college:
+ Renewable energy consultant in a Chinese corporation (I relocated there and lived in China for a year and a half )
+Power Distribution engineer lead at a Forbes 500 (MBA feeder corporation) American manufacturing company in Europe (I relocated to Europe for 2 years.)
+ I'm currently the co-founder of a Hungarian start-up software company, I'm the CTO (the start-up is pretty small, it's a 7 people start-up and we all work remotely and meet up every month) we recently got fund from European investors.
+Relocated to Hong Kong, where I'm going to work as the head of the R&D department of an electrical engineering hong kongnese company.

That's about 3.5 years of professional experience, will have roughly 4 years when I apply to B-school and 4.5 when I start it (2021)

My extracurriculars were:

Vicepresident of a leadership development program chapter in my city. (While at college)
Photography (Recently)
Prizes:
I was awarded youth innovator prize 2018 from a Czech think tank.

My post-MBA goals are:
use the MBA platform to transition from a heavily manufacturing-energy professional background to a business-oriented one, also to use the MBA ecosystem to create greater impact (VC, Incubator) entrepreneurial-wise, cause I want to focus more on developing my entrepreneurial side.
I could also transition into management consulting for a few years and then set-up my own business.

So that's my resume, in a nutshell, I honestly don't know where to apply, since I don't come from a top institution I feel like the top 10 MBA programs in the US/UK might be out of reach?

Your take will be greatly appreciated, especially if you think my profile fits a competitive program in the US/UK, given that I'm studying for my tests

bonillajulius

Your grades are strong in a demanding subject. Your work experience is highly international and impressive. You have leadership and come from an underrepresented background. If you get your GRE/GMAT over 70% and you present yourself effectively in your application, the top U.S./UK programs will be quite interested in you, and may be even with your current score. Keep studying and aim for higher because a higher score will also enhance your chances of a scholarship. Be a little clearer on your goal.

Here are some resources that will help you apply effectively:
* MBA Admissions consulting
* Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One, a free download .

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for the prompt answer, Linda!
I actually watched one of your webinars two days ago, so that's a coincidence.
Will def look at the resources provided and will def. reach out you right after I finish taking my tests!

Regards.
Director
Director
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi, Linda,

Regards.

There isn't a class profile, because I believe this is the first class of this program. Haravrd is enrolling its first class this summer. However the HBS class profile will give you a good proxy until the class is enrolled.

Best,
Linda

Hi, Linda,

So based on information regarding my profile, What kind of MBA courses & B schools do you recommend?

Regards.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Raxit85 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi, Linda,

Regards.

There isn't a class profile, because I believe this is the first class of this program. Harvard is enrolling its first class this summer. However the HBS class profile will give you a good proxy until the class is enrolled.

Best,
Linda

Hi, Linda,

So based on information regarding my profile, What kind of MBA courses & B schools do you recommend?

Regards.

Given that your current GMAT score is 300+ points below your target, I'd like to suggest programs after you have your actual GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Hi,
My name is Sebastian Aguirre l, I’m 32 years old and I’m from Chile (latin/hispanic minority). I’m an Industrial engineer with a major in mining (GPA 3.2/4) with more than 84 month of continued work experience in an international aviation/transportation industry. Today I’m a senior manager with experience in commercial planning and revenue management. I have been a team leader (managers & analysts) for more than 3 years.

The first time I took the GMAT was at Nov2016 (I studied for 3 month) and I got a really poor 580, so I have been studying for more than 3 year and on Jan2020 I finally got a 670 (Q48, V33) and I don’t want to postpone my application any longer (I know it is not the best score).

Extra curricular activities: co-founder, former and active player (first division) of the alumni rugby club of school (now one of the biggest rugby clubs of my country with more than 1000 players of all age), in which I took responsibilities as Secretary and Treasurer, Rugby coach of the youngest divisions and part of the board members for many years. Also, I love traveling (+25 different countries around the world) because I can learn different cultures.

Post mba goals: consulting, tech

Universities:
1- IESE/MIT
2- UCLA/BOOTH/BERKELEY
3- KELLOGG/INSEAD

Any recommendation would be great.

Send PM
Expert Reply
siaguirr wrote:
Hi,
My name is Sebastian Aguirre l, I’m 32 years old and I’m from Chile (latin/hispanic minority). I’m an Industrial engineer with a major in mining (GPA 3.2/4) with more than 84 month of continued work experience in an international aviation/transportation industry. Today I’m a senior manager with experience in commercial planning and revenue management. I have been a team leader (managers & analysts) for more than 3 years.

The first time I took the GMAT was at Nov2016 (I studied for 3 month) and I got a really poor 580, so I have been studying for more than 3 year and on Jan2020 I finally got a 670 (Q48, V33) and I don’t want to postpone my application any longer (I know it is not the best score).

Extra curricular activities: co-founder, former and active player (first division) of the alumni rugby club of school (now one of the biggest rugby clubs of my country with more than 1000 players of all age), in which I took responsibilities as Secretary and Treasurer, Rugby coach of the youngest divisions and part of the board members for many years. Also, I love traveling (+25 different countries around the world) because I can learn different cultures.

Post mba goals: consulting, tech

Universities:
1- IESE/MIT
2- UCLA/BOOTH/BERKELEY
3- KELLOGG/INSEAD

Any recommendation would be great.

You have a competitive profile for IESE. The other programs, with the possible exception of INSEAD, are stretch programs for you. You still have a chance because you are from Chile and have excellent work experience.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hello,

Shortly, I am f***D.

I am from Honduraz and live in NYC. This round I applied to about 10 schools in R2.

Harvard, CBS, Booth, Duke, Wharton, Yale, Tuck, Darden, NYU, Berkeley.

I got rejected from Duke, CBS, Booth, Harvard without an Interview. I also have not gotten a single 2nd round interview(3rd round NYU).

My background. Originally from Honduras, with to Columbia Undergrad and studied Engineering (2.8 GPA). My best GMAT score on single sitting 710, but best quant/verbal combination is 740. I thought my hispanic background with ivy undergrad will compensate for my GPA.

Work experience 4 years. I worked at top IB/PE firms. Think MS/JPM and similar-tier PE firms. I also speak 5 languages and have a very unique background. My guess is I will also get rejected from Wharton this week and since I not received any interview from SOM, it is probably a ding too(since Duke rejected me without an interview ). Only hope maybe Darden or NYU, but at this point I am planning on taking GRE and applying 1st round next year.

This process killed killed all my confidence, mentally destroyed me, and I am at a complete loss. I know I had low GPA/GMAT, but I thought being hispanic from Honduras (relatively underreprestened country) combined with ivy league school, top brand names like JPM and PE firm) and ability to speak 5 languages will at least get me 1 interview.

My best is to kill GRE and apply early somewhere next year. No point in applying 3rd round I be
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Would you please evaluate my profile?

I'm looking into the MSRED program at Columbia. I am heading into my final year of 5 year Bachelor Architecture. Following my final year i am hoping to go into Columbia MSRED. I know that a significant portion of the students in Columbia MSRED are architects.

GMAT: 680 GPA: 3.33

And in terms of experience, I have interned for an architectural engineering company where I did a lot of estimating. I interned at an architecture office where i gained some experience flipping houses. And I have some experience shadowing a real estate developer.

How would you rate my odds for MSRED Columbia?

Thanks

Originally posted by dmdsyr on 12 May 2020, 11:10.
Last edited by dmdsyr on 20 May 2020, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
dmdsyr wrote:
Hello,

Would you please evaluate my profile?

I'm looking into the MSRED program at Columbia. I am heading into my final year of 5 year Bachelor Architecture at one of the top architecture schools in the country. Following my final year i am hoping to go into Columbia MSRED. I know that a significant portion of the students in Columbia MSRED are architects.

GMAT: 680 GPA: 3.33

I can get a recommendation letter from a professor within the Columbia MSRED program. And in terms of experience, I have interned for an architectural engineering company where I did a lot of estimating. I interned at an architecture office where i gained some experience flipping houses. And I have some experience shadowing a real estate developer.

How would you rate my odds for MSRED Columbia?

Thanks

My understanding is that the majority of students in the program have full-time work experience, which you at this point do not. I would say it's a stretch at this point in time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Hi, can you please evaluate my profile?

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work, and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.

Target schools:
I plan to apply for the 2021 intake. My top favorites are- Said, Judge, Yale, Haas, Kellogg, Tuck, Johnson (P.S. Regarding Said and Judge, I made sure that I am eligible despite my CGPA, even though their websites give off a different impression)

My next favorites are- Stern, Fuqua, Ross, UCLA, LBS, INSEAD, Darden, Tepper, UNC, Foster, Goizueta, McDonough, Owen, Mendoza, Scheller, Rotman

I'll winnow down this list with further research.

However, I want a reality check so that I can focus on the schools which I actually stand a realistic chance at. For example, I'm pretty sure I won't make it to Haas, LBS, Stern. I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

I'll also welcome suggestions on schools that I may be missing out on, which are good fits for me.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hi
Does a long unpaid medical leave (6-8 months) get deducted from the no. of months of work experience?
Should it be revealed in the application?
Will it affect my candidacy?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9