GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 Jan 2020, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask Accepted.com

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 09:23
1
Prasannathawait wrote:
"I request you to kindly evaluate my profile. I have listed some below.

Programs Interested in:
Full-time MBA, Less than 2 year MBA
Canadian B-schools: Rotman, Schulich, Sauder, Desautels, Ivey, Jr Smith, HEC Montreal, Ted Rogers, John Molson, Telfer
Singapore B-schools: NUS, NTU
Indian B-schools: IIMs

Class start year preference: Classes starting in early 2020

My Profile:
Indian, Male, Electrical Engineer, working in Operations in a Power plant. Working in the operations department involves problem-solving, making strategies, and people management.

Academics:
1. Bachelor in Engineering (Electrical and electronics), 2012, 70.86%. (10th standard: 72.6%). (12th standard: 79.8%)
2. Post Graduate Programme In Thermal Power plant technology from Jindal Institute of Power Technology. 2013.

Work experience: 6 years, India

Cross-functional Experience:
1) As a procurement executive in the Commercial department for various service contract execution.
2) As a sales manager in the Marketing department for the execution of aluminum sales to customers.

Extra-curriculars:
1) Photography Club member in my company. Involved in CSR events organized by the company to take pictures.
2) Hostel food committee Head: During my B.E, I was the in-charge of the food committee.
3) 2nd position holder in Loser's win weight-loss competition among 150+ people.
4) Travel enthusiast: Covered 5 different countries and many cities around the world.

Test Scores: GMAT: 640 (Q44, V34) IR4, AWA 5. (Planning to make another attempt soon.)
( PS: It's a pretty low score, but as the deadlines are nearby I am thinking to apply and save one year. Probability is Zero if I do not apply.)

Post-MBA Goal: I want to change my career path towards consulting/strategy after my MBA.

My Questions for the Experts: What are my odds considering my profile and the test scores described in the previous sentences?

Thanks in advance :)"


You're welcome.

Rotman, Desautels, ivey, the Singaporean schools and probably Schulich are stretch programs. I'm not familiar enough with the other programs to comment. A higher GMAT will help you.

Best,
Linda
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 257
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V163
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Reviews Badge
Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 05:16
Hi Linda!

May I request you to kindly review my profile?

Programs interested in:
Duke Fuqua-HSM, Michigan Ross, UNC-Kenan Flagler, Rochester-Simon, Boston-Questrom (Programs with good focus in healthcare sector)

Test Scores
GRE 323 (Q160,V163, AWA-awaited)

Profile
Indian Male/33, Doctor (MBBS) by profession with Masters (MD) in Clinical Pharmacology in Government medical college
Selected through National Level entrance test.

Work-Ex: Total of 9 years of work ex in health care setup in India. Worked as a community physician for 2 years, then selected for MD , where I worked in medical college as hospitals resident doctor.

For past two years working in pharmaceutical industry, designing and monitoring clinical trials and medical overview of drug marketing activities.

Post-MBA Goal: To work with leading consulting firm in healthcare domain.

Extra-curriculars:
Volunteer with NGOs working with underprivileged children in Mumbai
Freelance Physician for health drives

Thanks!!
_________________
_____________________
Chasing the dragon
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 16:46
fitzpratik wrote:
Hi Linda!

May I request you to kindly review my profile?

Programs interested in:
Duke Fuqua-HSM, Michigan Ross, UNC-Kenan Flagler, Rochester-Simon, Boston-Questrom (Programs with good focus in healthcare sector)

Test Scores
GRE 323 (Q160,V163, AWA-awaited)

Profile
Indian Male/33, Doctor (MBBS) by profession with Masters (MD) in Clinical Pharmacology in Government medical college
Selected through National Level entrance test.

Work-Ex: Total of 9 years of work ex in health care setup in India. Worked as a community physician for 2 years, then selected for MD , where I worked in medical college as hospitals resident doctor.

For past two years working in pharmaceutical industry, designing and monitoring clinical trials and medical overview of drug marketing activities.

Post-MBA Goal: To work with leading consulting firm in healthcare domain.

Extra-curriculars:
Volunteer with NGOs working with underprivileged children in Mumbai
Freelance Physician for health drives

Thanks!!


Ross is a stretch, but worth the effort. You have chose the other programs well and have a competitive profile for them. You may also want to consider Vanderbilt, where 18% of grads go into healthcare or pharma.

Check out:
* Admissions Tips for Vanderbilt’s MBA Program
* Michigan Ross MBA: It’s About REAL, Clear, and Teamwork

Please let me know if you would like help optimizing your applications.

Best,
Linda
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 257
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V163
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 08:36
Accepted.com wrote:
Ross is a stretch, but worth the effort. You have chose the other programs well and have a competitive profile for them. You may also want to consider Vanderbilt, where 18% of grads go into healthcare or pharma.

Check out:
* Admissions Tips for Vanderbilt’s MBA Program
* Michigan Ross MBA: It’s About REAL, Clear, and Teamwork

Please let me know if you would like help optimizing your applications.

Best,
Linda


Thank you Linda!

I have PM'd you!
_________________
_____________________
Chasing the dragon
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 08:39
fitzpratik wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Ross is a stretch, but worth the effort. You have chose the other programs well and have a competitive profile for them. You may also want to consider Vanderbilt, where 18% of grads go into healthcare or pharma.

Check out:
* Admissions Tips for Vanderbilt’s MBA Program
* Michigan Ross MBA: It’s About REAL, Clear, and Teamwork

Please let me know if you would like help optimizing your applications.

Best,
Linda


Thank you Linda!

I have PM'd you!


Didn't get the PM.
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jun 2017
Posts: 36
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 14:28
Hi Linda,

Would you be able to evaluate my profile? I have a little bit of a different profile.

Age: 32
GMAT: 680 (will be taking this again as I have scored 710 in my 3 recent practice tests) - will be applying 2021 round because of this
Background: Honours Bachelor of Science, Psychology (University of Toronto, 3.5) and Masters in Human Resources and Industrial Relations (University of Toronto)
Experience:
Formal - 6.5 years of experience in HR roles of increasing responsibilities spanning 3 industries. Currently working as a Human Resources Business Partner
Volunteering - Mentor (Woodsworth Mentoring Program for an undergraduate student) and Pianist (church) - both are current
Reason for MBA:
Want to transition out of HR into consulting (either strategy or human capital). While my roles in HR advise my client groups from a people and business strategy perspective, Id like to move towards advising companies on their strategies overall.
Schools of Interest: UCLA, NYU, Haas, Duke, Tuck (interested in getting an MBA from a top 20 US program)

I realize that my age is above the average for my schools of choice and most top 20 programs in the US. Wondering how much of a risk this is?

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 22:55
rodri102 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Would you be able to evaluate my profile? I have a little bit of a different profile.

Age: 32
GMAT: 680 (will be taking this again as I have scored 710 in my 3 recent practice tests) - will be applying 2021 round because of this
Background: Honours Bachelor of Science, Psychology (University of Toronto, 3.5) and Masters in Human Resources and Industrial Relations (University of Toronto)
Experience:
Formal - 6.5 years of experience in HR roles of increasing responsibilities spanning 3 industries. Currently working as a Human Resources Business Partner
Volunteering - Mentor (Woodsworth Mentoring Program for an undergraduate student) and Pianist (church) - both are current
Reason for MBA:
Want to transition out of HR into consulting (either strategy or human capital). While my roles in HR advise my client groups from a people and business strategy perspective, Id like to move towards advising companies on their strategies overall.
Schools of Interest: UCLA, NYU, Haas, Duke, Tuck (interested in getting an MBA from a top 20 US program)

I realize that my age is above the average for my schools of choice and most top 20 programs in the US. Wondering how much of a risk this is?

Posted from my mobile device



Older applicants face certain challenges. Here are two prominent ones:

1. Why do they want an MBA now?
2. Are they realistic about career placement and job opportunities for MBA grads.

But being 32 or 33 for most MBA program is not an automatic reject or an insurmountable hurdle.

For more detailed advise on how to apply successfully as an older MBA applicants, please see: Applying to Regular MBA Programs as an Older Applicant

Best,
Linda
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 May 2019
Posts: 14
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 21:26
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Nationality: Indian
GPA: 6.47/10
Degree: BE Computer Science
Experience:5 year
( 3 year at job and 2 year as entrepreneur)

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile: from 2016-now

Work for Konsole Group (PR company) as Asst business manager

Deployed many successful creative marketing idea for various company

Handle all the Social Media Account for Chhattisgarh Chief minister, Health Minister and Home Minister

Work for BJP’s the state and municipal election Chhattisgarh


As Entrepreneur:
Co Founder of Mr Tiffin (2014-16)
( Currently holding only 10% stake)

Start a food delivery service with a base kitchen which serve 500+ meals daily in the city.

Handle many catering event of where number of guest is more than 10000.

Cater IPL 2016 where public is more than 35000


Extra Curricular: I am a skilled Driver and gives lesson to women to encourage them. More than 60 driver are trained by me

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work for Company like Google

Long term: Want to start a company.


Weak Point:
Due to some university problem i give my backlog Exam after 2 year and complete my engg in 6 year.

Please tell me which college i should prefer

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 15:48
Zishanuddin wrote:
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Nationality: Indian
GPA: 6.47/10
Degree: BE Computer Science
Experience:5 year
( 3 year at job and 2 year as entrepreneur)

Official Score: 700 (Q50, V34, AWA5.0)

Work Profile: from 2016-now

Work for Konsole Group (PR company) as Asst business manager

Deployed many successful creative marketing idea for various company

Handle all the Social Media Account for Chhattisgarh Chief minister, Health Minister and Home Minister

Work for BJP’s the state and municipal election Chhattisgarh


As Entrepreneur:
Co Founder of Mr Tiffin (2014-16)
( Currently holding only 10% stake)

Start a food delivery service with a base kitchen which serve 500+ meals daily in the city.

Handle many catering event of where number of guest is more than 10000.

Cater IPL 2016 where public is more than 35000


Extra Curricular: I am a skilled Driver and gives lesson to women to encourage them. More than 60 driver are trained by me

Goals:
Short Term: I want to work for Company like Google

Long term: Want to start a company.


Weak Point:
Due to some university problem i give my backlog Exam after 2 year and complete my engg in 6 year.

Please tell me which college i should prefer

Posted from my mobile device


Consider Babson, UC Irvine, Santa Clara, Notre Dame. Purdue.

Best,
Linda
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 34
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.44
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 10:08
PROFILE EVALUATION FOR CANADIAN MBAS FOR FALL 2020.

DEMOGRAPHICS : Indian Male, 25 years old.

UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE : B-Tech in Computer Science and Engineering from SRM University, Chennai (2017)
CGPA – 8.6/10 OR 3.44/4

WORK EXPERIENCE : 2.5 years in Software consulting from Tata Consultancy Services, Mumbai

LONG TERM GOAL: To become a Marketing head in a Canadian/International company of repute in Sports/Music/Travel/FMCG/Retail/Consumer Electronics industries AND To settle in Canada with a PR.

SHORT TERM (post-MBA) GOALS : entry-level marketer/Marketing manager in the above industries OR join Management Consultancy for a few years then become a marketer in those industries.

I’ve taken a few UG-level credit courses and online courses in MGMT, Marketing, and Entrepreneurship to help me facilitate my transition from Software to Marketing.

TEST SCORES:
GMAT – 710 (Q48, V40, IR 5, AWA 5)
IELTS Academic – 8.0 (L-8, R-9, W-7, S-7)

EXTRA-CURRICULARS:
1. Committee Member & Marketing Head of the SRM University Cycling Club
2. Cleared with distinction Grade 5 exam in “Drum-kit” conducted by Trinity College of Music, London, 2008.
3. Successfully completed BRM-200 (Brevet d’Audax), a 200 km cycle race conducted by Mumbai Randonneurs division of Brevet d'Audax, France in 12 hours and 10 minutes in February 2018.
4. Since 2015, have been a regular member of The Indian Stammering Association (TISA), a not-for-profit organization by and for people who stutter. Since 2018, have been the Co-coordinator for the organization’s Mumbai chapter. Website: https://stammer.in/.
5. Regular participant and host of Mumbai Drum Circle, a community drum circle specialising in Djembes (South African hand drums).

**Interested in only 20+ months MBA program to get 3 year Work permit after graduating. Hence, IVEY, Queen’s, Simon Fraser, uOttawa, etc are OUT.
**NOT interested in colleges in Quebec due to liabilities of not knowing French. Hence McGill, Concordia, HEC are OUT.

TARGET PROVINCES: Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta

Colleges Applied so far:
1. McMaster (DeGroote) Co-op MBA -> Interviewed; awaiting final results.
2. UCalgary (Haskayne) Daytime MBA -> Submitted in R2
3. York U (Schulich) MBA -> Submitted in R1

Profile Evaluation required for:
1. University of Toronto Rotman – MBA
2. University of Alberta – MBA
3. UBC Sauder - MBA
4. Brock University Goodman – MBA ISP
5. Carleton University Sprott - MBA

Could you help me understand my initial profile evaluation for these above 5 programs?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Dec 2014
Posts: 7
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 09:05
Need your support to evaluate my profile for MIT Sloan Fellow and Stern Tech MBA

Indian Male from Tech Industry with @19 Years of experience in SAP and Digital Technologies

Highlights of the profile

Worked across different geographies including Singapore, US and Europe
Currently holding middle management position in the leading IT service provider from India
Associated with an organization working for blind men - specifically fund raising
PMP (Project Management Professional from PMI institute USA)
Holding various certification across leading digital technologies/packages
Can demonstrate career progression in the current organization for which I am working since last 12 years

Executive Assessment Score
149
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 12:14
1
jan15gmat wrote:
Need your support to evaluate my profile for MIT Sloan Fellow and Stern Tech MBA

Indian Male from Tech Industry with @19 Years of experience in SAP and Digital Technologies

Highlights of the profile

Worked across different geographies including Singapore, US and Europe
Currently holding middle management position in the leading IT service provider from India
Associated with an organization working for blind men - specifically fund raising
PMP (Project Management Professional from PMI institute USA)
Holding various certification across leading digital technologies/packages
Can demonstrate career progression in the current organization for which I am working since last 12 years

Executive Assessment Score
149


Because of your level, you're probably more of a fit fo the MIT Sloan Fellows than the NYU Tech program, but I wouldn't rule it out. What you wrote is competitive, however, you will need to show impact and increasing responsibility in your career. It sounds like you probably have those qualities and can do in the application.

Here are some resources that may be of interest:

MBA Admissions and Consulting
NYU Stern MBA Essay tips and Deadlines
Interview with Rabia Ahmed, Admissions Director at NYU Stern. Lots of great insight there.
MIT Sloan Fellows Essay Tips & Deadlines

Best,
Linda
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2019
Posts: 3
Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 17:17
Hey Linda - would love to get your thoughts on my profile:

Age: 27
GMAT: 710 (Q48 V39 IR8) - taking again because my practice exams were 730
Background: USA, white male, can check Native American box
Education: 3.4 GPA, BBA Finance, non-target - Top 50 school but Top 25 undergrad business. Taking CFA Level 3 in June

Experience:
1.5 years in a Finance rotation / Leadership Development Program at F500 (not GE)
2 years at small, no-name boutique investment bank (M&A)
1.5 years in M&A at middle market investment bank (think SunTrust / Raymond James / Piper), ranked top analyst against peers
Currently at lower middle-market private equity fund ($2bn AUM), high degree of responsibility, very hands on with companies and management teams

Volunteering: Junior Achievement - mentor for students as they launched a businesses (semester project), educating students on financial literacy, etc.

MBA Goal: Back to PE - would like to expand my overall business skills vs. current finance focus. Probably need to improve my story here

Target Programs: Columbia, Booth, Kellogg
Swing-for-the-fence: Wharton

Where do you think I stand now? Anything I can do to improve my candidacy? Worth re-taking the GMAT?
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 21:27
AllBusiness7 wrote:
Hey Linda - would love to get your thoughts on my profile:

Age: 27
GMAT: 710 (Q48 V39 IR8) - taking again because my practice exams were 730
Background: USA, white male, can check Native American box
Education: 3.4 GPA, BBA Finance, non-target - Top 50 school but Top 25 undergrad business. Taking CFA Level 3 in June

Experience:
1.5 years in a Finance rotation / Leadership Development Program at F500 (not GE)
2 years at small, no-name boutique investment bank (M&A)
1.5 years in M&A at middle market investment bank (think SunTrust / Raymond James / Piper), ranked top analyst against peers
Currently at lower middle-market private equity fund ($2bn AUM), high degree of responsibility, very hands on with companies and management teams

Volunteering: Junior Achievement - mentor for students as they launched a businesses (semester project), educating students on financial literacy, etc.

MBA Goal: Back to PE - would like to expand my overall business skills vs. current finance focus. Probably need to improve my story here

Target Programs: Columbia, Booth, Kellogg
Swing-for-the-fence: Wharton

Where do you think I stand now? Anything I can do to improve my candidacy? Worth re-taking the GMAT?


AllBusiness7

As a Native American, you are currently a competitive applicant based on what you wrote above. Obviously story and presentation count, and a higher GMAT never hurt anyone. A higher GMAT may also enhance your chances of getting scholarship money, and it would improve your candidacy, but it's not critical to your chances. You have decent grades, good work experience, the CFA. You've checked the academic stats box and they will have confidence you can handle the curriculum.

You don't mention international exposure in your post, which would also improve your candidacy, but is not possible to get in any meaningful way before the R2 deadlines. :-) That's only relevant if you wait until next year. I don't think you need to, and I'd encourage you to apply to all your target schools, including Wharton.

You may be interested in the following:

How To Present a Winning Wharton Application, an interview with Blair Mannix, Director of Admissions at Wharton.
AMA with Columbia's Michael Robinson
Get a Kellogg MBA: An Interview with Dean of Admissions Kate Smith
Essay tips for all these programs
Get Accepted to Chicago Booth.

If you'd like help with your application, please let me know.
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Dec 2014
Posts: 7
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 22:28
1
Thanks much Linda for your kind response. I will work on the points suggested.

Thanks again !
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Aug 2018
Posts: 12
Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2019, 04:05
Hi Linda,

Can you please evaluate my profile?

Age: 26
GRE: 304 (Q 151, V 153, AWA 5).
TOEFL: 110 (S 29, W 28, L 28, R 25)
Background: US Permanent resident, female (Asian by ethnicity)
Education: Under Grad - Bachelor of Commerce with Honors from a top University in India + 1 year Post graduate diploma in Finance from University of London (Passed with a mark of Merit).

Experience:
2 years - As a Finance Associate in a top Hedge fund in India
2.3 years - As a Portfolio Administrator in a top Investment Management firm in USA.

Volunteering: Volunteered at an NGO in India, was a part of the corporate social responsibility committee as well.

MBA Goal: Want to major in Corporate Finance. Want to pursue an MBA to expand my knowledge and overall business skills.

Target Programs: Foster School of Business, WA; McCombs, Texas; USC Marshall, CA

I understand my GRE score is on the lower side. I will retake the exam but I can only retake it mid Jan (due to the 21 day rule) and the 2nd round of admission deadline will be over by then. Do I stand a chance with the current score and overall profile? Or should I wait and apply in the 3rd round with a better GRE score?

Thank you!!!
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2019, 14:58
Au15 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Can you please evaluate my profile?

Age: 26
GRE: 304 (Q 151, V 153, AWA 5).
TOEFL: 110 (S 29, W 28, L 28, R 25)
Background: US Permanent resident, female (Asian by ethnicity)
Education: Under Grad - Bachelor of Commerce with Honors from a top University in India + 1 year Post graduate diploma in Finance from University of London (Passed with a mark of Merit).

Experience:
2 years - As a Finance Associate in a top Hedge fund in India
2.3 years - As a Portfolio Administrator in a top Investment Management firm in USA.

Volunteering: Volunteered at an NGO in India, was a part of the corporate social responsibility committee as well.

MBA Goal: Want to major in Corporate Finance. Want to pursue an MBA to expand my knowledge and overall business skills.

Target Programs: Foster School of Business, WA; McCombs, Texas; USC Marshall, CA

I understand my GRE score is on the lower side. I will retake the exam but I can only retake it mid Jan (due to the 21 day rule) and the 2nd round of admission deadline will be over by then. Do I stand a chance with the current score and overall profile? Or should I wait and apply in the 3rd round with a better GRE score?

Thank you!!!


These programs are big stretches with your current GRE score. Since app volume is down, you can certainly try with our current score, but I'm not optimistic. If your score goes up and the school allows for updates, you can let them know about the improved score. If they haven't reviewed your file by the time they received the new score, it will probably be considered. If they have already reviewed your file, they will almost certainly not re-review it in light of the hopefully higher score.

I would prefer you either apply or reapply R1 of next year than R3. Given your profile, I'm not optimistic about a R3 app.

I'm giving a webinar in January on Round 3 vs Next Year where I dive deep into who should apply R3 and who should wait until next year. Please reserve your seat for thefree webinar, Round 3 vs Next year if you would like to learn more about the pros and cons of a R3 application.

Happy New Year!
Linda
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 23
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2019, 22:49
Hello and Happy New Year!

If you could spare the time to evaluate my profile, it would be greatly appreciated! Any and all feedback and comments are welcome.

Age:
23 (Plan to apply in 3-4 years)

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
GPA: 3.61 (Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance)

GMAT:
740 (49Q, 41V)
(2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 760+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
Engineer
100% in the aerospace industry (including internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
1.) Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.
Or
2.) Program Manager at current company, using my engineering background, industry experience, and business education from an MBA.

MBA Schools:
Reach: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Booth, Columbia
Target: Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Stern

Thanks in advance.
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 5601
Location: Los Angeles CA
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 22:40
1
SimbaJSK wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year!

If you could spare the time to evaluate my profile, it would be greatly appreciated! Any and all feedback and comments are welcome.

Age:
23 (Plan to apply in 3-4 years)

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
GPA: 3.61 (Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance)

GMAT:
740 (49Q, 41V)
(2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 760+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
Engineer
100% in the aerospace industry (including internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
1.) Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.
Or
2.) Program Manager at current company, using my engineering background, industry experience, and business education from an MBA.

MBA Schools:
Reach: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Booth, Columbia
Target: Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Stern

Thanks in advance.


SimbaJSK,

Everything you have done to date is competitive for your target schools. The biggest variable is what you're going to do between now and application. Rather than taking the GMAT for a 3rd time, I think you'd get more benefit from assuming a leadership role off the job, since you are probably too young to assume one (at least now) on the job. What's going to differentiate you more than 20 points more on an already above average GMAT is showing that you are a person of impact, a leaders who makes a different, an innovator.

For more information on how to use the next 3-4 years to further enhance your chances of acceptance, please download Prep for B-School: A 4-Year Guide for College Students and Recent Grads.

Good luck!
_________________
Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Re: Ask Accepted.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2020, 08:16
Hello Team,

Kindly review my profile and share your valuable inputs.

Profile: INDIAN, Male, 28 years. I completed my graduation in Computer Science & Engineering from India in 2014 with a CGPA of 8.30.
I have one year Education gap after my Class 12th and Graduation, preparation for Engineering exams(IITJEE) for top colleges.

Academic:
- Engineering: CGPA- 8.30/10
- 12th: 83%
- 10th: 80%

I have been working with TCS,India for past 5 and a half years, out of which for the last one and a half years in Germany. My current role is Developer cum Solution architect.

Extra-curricular: I have won few Star of the Months and top programmers awards within the company.
I have experience of teaching school kids from government school and Security gaurds as part of CSR activity.

Areas of interest : 1) Consulting, 2) Finance

I am planning for the below colleges:
1. Kellogg,
2. INSEAD,
3. TUCK,
4. Yale,
5. ISB

Can you please let me know if my profile fits these colleges and what should be my target GMAT score?

Kindly review the above profile and please let me know if you need more info on my profile. Thanks a lot!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask Accepted.com   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2020, 08:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 133 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Accepted.com

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne