Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 28 Apr 2017, 07:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 03:38
Hi,

I am Karthik Sridharan from India and planning to do a full-time MBA.

My brief background is as follows:

· 12 years work experience in Financial Services and IT, latter being the current one I am working in.

· Executive Program in Business Management from IIM Calcutta, 2012 – 2013, with 3.6 GPA out of 4.0.
(This is a Pre-MBA certification that is more of a bridge between my Bachelors and MBA Degree. This had really helped me in improving my scores that I had not been able to do in my Bachelors since I was concentrating more on the Masters Diploma in IT that I was doing in parallel with my Bachelors)

· Bachelor of Commerce, passed out in 2000 with 2nd class (52%) or 2.7/2.8 GPA on a scale of 4.0.

· 3 years Masters Diploma in IT with 4.0 GPA out of 4.0.

Please advise if this background would suffice for a Full-Time MBA Program.Also, will my Bachelors GPA be a hindrance to my admissions to the FT program and if so, do I need to do another Bachelors to get an acceptable GPA or will my strong work experience compensate for it.

Thanks....Karthik
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2015
Posts: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 14:45
Could you comment on my profile and chances at the following schools?
- M7 + Tuck, Yale, LBS, INSEAD

Profile:
- Caucasian male / American citizen
- 710 GMAT; 3.6 GPA from public big 10 university
- 3 years of experience in investment banking including 1 year spent abroad at satellite office in London, UK
- Employer sponsorship for MBA program - offer to come back as an associate upon graduation
- Volunteer experience tutoring at local schools
- Ultimate goal is to advance in IB at current firm, with the MBA supplementing my management skills, credentials, and professional network

Planning to apply for 2016 entry, ideally submitting apps as soon as they become available.

Thanks!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 14:55
zach9 wrote:
Could you comment on my profile and chances at the following schools?
- M7 + Tuck, Yale, LBS, INSEAD

Profile:
- Caucasian male / American citizen
- 710 GMAT; 3.6 GPA from public big 10 university
- 3 years of experience in investment banking including 1 year spent abroad at satellite office in London, UK
- Employer sponsorship for MBA program - offer to come back as an associate upon graduation
- Volunteer experience tutoring at local schools
- Ultimate goal is to advance in IB at current firm, with the MBA supplementing my management skills, credentials, and professional network

Planning to apply for 2016 entry, ideally submitting apps as soon as they become available.

Thanks!




Hi,

You have a magnificent profile! As you know I am an American who studied at Oxford. Studying abroad can be great! You have many strengths in your profile including a solid GPA, great work experience, international work experience... It may be the case that some of the details of candidacy might pose some challenges - for instance, if you are working for a small investment bank that might be more challenging, but if you present your work experience excellently you should have great outcomes at many of the schools you have highlighted here. Your extracurricular activities may also need a little strengthening for a school like Tuck, but you have time to do that.

Do let us know if you would like us to assist you in the admissions process.

If you would like us to do a deeper evaluation and to have a quick phone call about your candidacy, feel free to download the profile evaluation form from here and send that to us or just to send us your resume (info@mbaadmit.com) and we can set up a call. You have many reasons to be hopeful!

Profile evaluation form:
http://mbaadmit.com/discounts-200-to-500-off-select-schools-for-2013-2014/

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel
_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 14:57
ksridh wrote:
Hi,

I am Karthik Sridharan from India and planning to do a full-time MBA.

My brief background is as follows:

· 12 years work experience in Financial Services and IT, latter being the current one I am working in.

· Executive Program in Business Management from IIM Calcutta, 2012 – 2013, with 3.6 GPA out of 4.0.
(This is a Pre-MBA certification that is more of a bridge between my Bachelors and MBA Degree. This had really helped me in improving my scores that I had not been able to do in my Bachelors since I was concentrating more on the Masters Diploma in IT that I was doing in parallel with my Bachelors)

· Bachelor of Commerce, passed out in 2000 with 2nd class (52%) or 2.7/2.8 GPA on a scale of 4.0.

· 3 years Masters Diploma in IT with 4.0 GPA out of 4.0.

Please advise if this background would suffice for a Full-Time MBA Program.Also, will my Bachelors GPA be a hindrance to my admissions to the FT program and if so, do I need to do another Bachelors to get an acceptable GPA or will my strong work experience compensate for it.

Thanks....Karthik



Hi Karthik,

Thanks for the inquiry. Can you let me know how old you are. Are you approximately 33? Your age is going to affect your candidacy. Also, are you open to schools in Europe or only in the USA? And within the USA, are you open to schools like Duke?

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel
_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Posts: 124
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 31

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 11:38
Hi,

I would love to get your perspective on where I stand.

-27 y/o Indian Male (will turn 28 in may)

-GMAT 710 (49Q, 39V)

-Graduated in 2008 from a business school in UK with a degree in accounting and finance. Topped my degree in year one. Ended up with an upper 2.1 degree.

-planned on working in UK itself in order to get some international work ex but had to move back to India because of my fathers death (3 weeks after final term). Had to take care of family affairs, both financial and emotional, so moved back.

-Over 6.5 years of experience working in the business development and strategy implementation division of a firm with interests across hydropower, textiles and education and annual revenues of over $100m. Have worked across all 3 sectors. Currently leading a team in implementing the expansion/diversification of the education vertical. The project is at an advanced stage of implementation and the financial rewards from the project have already started flowing in. The idea for diversification was my brainchild and thus I was made the team leader of the project. The financial rewards from this project have already started flowing in. I'm also the youngest at the firm at a senior managerial role. I've held leadership roles across all the 3 verticals.

-short term goal is to make a transition to a top tier management consulting firm and work in new geographies (outside of India). Long term goal is to take up a senior management role at a fortune 500 firm. In my current role I'm coming up with and executing ideas that lead to improvement in business process and create value for the firm. I think a career in consulting will be a reasonable sell as my STG.

-Extra curricular: work with one of the most prominent environmental NGO in the country. Have been closely associated with environmental research over the last 4 years. Having lost my father to blood cancer I started a cancer foundation in his name and have raised over INR 1.5m which in turn was used to help underprivileged patients in their treatment. Also organize an annual blood donation camp. Also redrafted and implemented the corporate social responsibility charter at the firm with a focus on sanitation for the poor and improving female financial literacy. I've also worked for a member of parliament from 2009-2013 on devising a plan for development in the members parliamentary constituency.

I would appreciate if you could evaluate my profile at the following schools.

-Target schools- INSEAD, Columbia, Kellogg, Tuck, Duke, Darden, Emory, McCombs, etc

Feel free to suggest other business schools.

Thanks for taking time out and helping people out here. Really appreciate it.

Regards
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 83
Location: United States
Schools: Tuck '17
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 53

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 07:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Hi, I am a 27 year-old (at matriculation) male candidate from Turkey. Targeting Wharton, Booth and Columbia. Here is my background:

GMAT: 750
Ugrad: mechanical engineering from top 3 school in Turkey, GPA: 2.7
Grad: ms finance from top 3 school in turkey, GPA: 3.97
Work exp 1: 1 year corporate banking at #1 commercial bank in turkey
Work exp 2: 2 years investment banking at BB (think UBS/deutsche/Citi)
CFA levels 1-2 cleared

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2014
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 09:38
Hi Dr Shel.

Australian female looking at applying to Stanford, Harvard, Kellogg, Columbia with backups in LBS/insead.

Taken the gmat twice. First time 640(q41,v37m IR 8) and second time 700 (q45,v40, ir 6). Though my score improved, I'm still relatively week on the quant and had a considerable drop on IR.

I went to a top uni in Australia - commerce and law (double bachelors) finishing top 12% in my commerce degree. Weaker in the law but still second class honours. Have 2.5 years of MBB consulting experience and also 1 year of corporate retail/tech experience - with quite a bit of data/excel usage. Worked in Australia, the states (2 months) and london (year)

Will be 26 when applying and 27 entering.

Wanted to know whether my gmat is good enough for majority of these schools (maybe not GSB or Harvard) or because my quant and IRs are so low, that I'd have to retake?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 66
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IE '18, Mannheim
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 25

Premium Member
Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 05:58
Hi all,

I would like to know whether volunteering in any (Oxfam and etc.) non profit work is taken into account by adcoms? Or this must not be volunteering, but full time job? What are your take ons? ))
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 07:31
Hello Dr. Shel,

Please evaluate my profile

29

Dual citizenship - Israel/U.S

Gmat - 700 (46Q\40V)

Bachelor's in Accounting and Journalism from Hebrew University
GPA 3.48
made deans list for the year of 2011
Won a national Social Entrepreneurship competition and founded a non profit (sustainability) while in school
Passed all 5 CPA exams on first trial (some of the exams had lower than 20% success rate for first timers)


Work experience:

Served for 3 years in the army as a combat medic, was awarded an excellence award during that time.

Worked 2 years as a strategic consultant in a local but selective firm that specializes in public administration

currently working full time at Ernst and Young as a CPA
Part time business dev and marketing at family business (art)

extra curricular:
Volunteers at the local chapter of an international non profit as a Digital consultant,
Mentors a startup in a local accelerator
Runs Marathons
meditator

Schools
Haas, MIT Sloan, Yale SOM, Johnson

Reach-Stanford GSB

Thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 01:45
10th: 86%

12th: 83.4%

GRADUATION
B.Tech. in Computer Science from IP University, Delhi with an aggregate score of 72.6% (First Class)

GMAT: 740

WORK-EX:
Working with Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG) (World’s 5th largest group) for past 2 years as a Software Engineer. Involved in different roles for 2 years. Was a JAVA developer for the first 12 months and worked on a project related to automobile industry wherein we tracked all the activities of major automobile players (like Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen etc.) and their manufacturing plants. In this project I proposed a module which involved scanning of invoices, of which I proposed the algorithm, to potentially reduce the effort at customer’s side. This brought a business of 60.2 Million INR to organization. Received Star Performer of the Year award for the initiative taken.
In lieu to this initiative taken, after 1 year in the organization, I was shifted to Business Intelligence Team to use the critical data like revenue; budget etc. of the organization to track down the lacuna’s to suggest possible changes to be made for organization’s benefit. Working under this team, I proposed the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) which shall mitigate the re-work done in few teams in the organization. Upon review it was implemented in the organization. I inked down the proposed SDLC and got it converted in form of a research paper, published in a prestigious journal.

Total Work-Ex at the time of ISB 2016-17 application will be 2 years 8 months.

OVERSEAS EXPERIENCE
Went with project leader and other team members for installation and demo of the project to the client for duration of 3 months in Hungry during my tenure as a JAVA developer in initial 12 months

ENTREPRENEURSHIP EXPERIENCE
In last year of under-graduation, founded a tech company along with 2 friends, to develop websites and applications ranging from android to ecommerce website. The company is registered in the name of www[dot]crebertech[dot]com. The company generated a revenue around INR 1 lakh. Currently serving as the business head in the startup.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR
I have categorized extra-curricular into following categories.
Scholastic Achievements:
• Have 5 research papers being the 1st author published in prestigious journals with a high impact factor. For one of the research paper published, was selected as a reviewer at the same journal (Science Alert) where mostly doctorate and post-doctorate professors are selected.
• Was selected to represent my school in a competition of Mathematics and English conducted by University of New South Wales.
• Winner of 3 state awards in technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering (DCE). Runner-Up in 4 technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering.
Dramatics
• Winner in 1 competition and runner up in other organized in IGIT.
• Played Football at National Level. Represented Delhi and scored a hat trick and helped team to reach semi-finals. Was also adjudicated Man-of-the-tournament by sports head of IIT during an intra-college football tournament in my college.
• Organized literary events during college fests in the year 2011-2012-2013. Recoded higher participation with each successive year.
Debating and Literacy
• Winner of 3 State level debate competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
• Winner of 3 State level extempore competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
• Winner of 3 State level essay competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering and 1 essay event organized in my college.
• Contributed to college and school magazines and remained an active blooger in my organization monthly newsletter.
Social Initiative
• Involved with an NGO for past 3 years. Working as a treasurer now. During my time I organized events to raise fund for the NGO and used the same money to prevent cow smuggling and prevent slaughtering of cows in the small villages of Haryana.
• A short 3 months internship at AIESEC under the program Iccha, to help slum children identify the basic cause of malaise. Helped them identify major pollutants and areas acting as a breeding ground of mosquitoes. Drafted a survey on the area visited and was adopted as a blue print by the local residents to palliate the waste.
• Worked for 5 months at Children Home, Delhi Government foster home to orphan kids. Provided pedagogy to students and was involved in various teaching drives organized at foster home during those 5 moths.
• Active member of CSR committee of my organization. Awarded for an active role in donation and social drives.

My target schools are Yale, Booth, Ross, Anderson, Tuck, Stern, Hass, Insead, Kellogg, ISB, Stanford GSB, LBS, Tepper and Johnson. Is it too ambitious or can I count some of them as moderate ? if yes, which one ?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Harvard's Sept. 9, 2015 Deadline - EARLY!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 10:25
Hello Everyone,

I will respond to some of the most recent queries here soon... But in the meantime, I wanted to mention that both Harvard and Columbia have released their new essay topics.

Harvard has set its Round 1 deadline VERY early this year... See below.


From Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts), President of MBA Admit.com
http://www.mbaadmit.com, email: info@mbaadmit.com

Ask about our Round 1 Harvard Special – 50% off! - Valid through May 22, 2015.

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with deep expertise in helping candidates override weaknesses to gain admissions success!



Harvard's Sept. 9 Round 1 Deadline! That’s A Month Earlier Than…


Hello Everyone,

As always, Harvard Business School has created buzz – this time, not only because of its new essay question (see here: new-hbs-essay-and-rec-questions-have-been-released-198293.html) but also because of its Round 1 deadline of September 9, 2015, which stands out greatly because it is set for nearly one month earlier than has been the trend in the past five years!

A September 9 deadline means that Round 1 candidates need to prepare the Harvard application well in advance of the deadlines for many other Round 1 schools, assuming that those other schools will stay with traditional Round 1 deadline dates in early October. So start mulling over your Harvard essay topic soon! You have only one essay to “market yourself” excellently to Harvard Business School. Also, keep an eye out for the Harvard application form, which traditionally has been one of the most complex of all business school applications – asking for great detail about your biggest challenges at work and your most significant achievements at work. With such details required and ample space in which to provide answers, you will want to give great thought to how you respond to those prompts. Harvard indicates on its website that the application form will be available in June 2015, but it provides the information you need to begin working on your essay and it also provides the recommendation questions you can pass on to your recommendation writers.

Don’t procrastinate with those letters of recommendation! You will want your recommendation writers to finish them before they head off on any August vacation.


Interested in help with your HBS essay and application? Please feel free to reach out to us at info@mbaadmit.com.

To benefit from our free webinar about MBA admissions best practices, visit http://mbaadmit.com/webinars/


Best wishes,
Dr. Shel (Shelly Watts)
President, MBA Admit.com

http://www.mbaadmit.com
Email: info@mbaadmit.com
_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 03:09
Hi

Please evaluate my profile

25 (male)

Bachelor's in computer science engineering from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra.
GPA : 6.89 out of 10

Senior software engineer at Samsung Electronics ( 2 years).

I've developed a graphics benchmark application which measures the performance of graphics processor of a Smart TV, this was the first any such application was made for a TV as earlier it existed only for smartphones.

Along side my work as a developer I've taken up additional responsibilities like releasing the whole code base to the main upper level branches. We have multiple stages from where the code is pushed up regularly after thorough verification. I've the sole ownership of this verification and merging of code for a huge module which includes around 35 teams from all around the world in Samsung. This is a very rigorous task as code changes are made every minute and they are to be catered immediately.

I'm also a Global Workplace Agent for my group which consists of around 300 employees, where my task is to organize parties and events at company level.
I've been promoted every year.

I've co-founded two companies with my brother.

Co-founded a marketing company at the age of 18 which went on for 2 years.

Co- founded a rubber band manufacturing company at the age of 21, I looked after product manufacturing and all the technical aspects of the product like creating and improving the product, maintaining the quality in mass production.

I've a GRE score of 316, I've not taken GMAT yet.

Post MBA goals :
Short term : Switch to consulting.
Long term : To be an entrepreneur.


1. What are my chances of getting into top B schools.
2. If I should try for this year or the next. I would have 3 years of experience this year and 4 if I apply next year.
3. Please suggest which schools are achievable for me
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 18:32
Hi,

Thanks for your email. Your competitiveness at top MBA programs will depend in part upon how strong your GMAT score is. Aim for 720 or higher. You have a relatively small amount of work experience and so you might strengthen your candidacy by getting a couple of more work experience and also making sure that you have strong extracurricular activities to tout as you apply.

Good luck in the admissions process!

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel



yashvardhan90 wrote:
Hi

Please evaluate my profile

25 (male)

Bachelor's in computer science engineering from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra.
GPA : 6.89 out of 10

Senior software engineer at Samsung Electronics ( 2 years).

I've developed a graphics benchmark application which measures the performance of graphics processor of a Smart TV, this was the first any such application was made for a TV as earlier it existed only for smartphones.

Along side my work as a developer I've taken up additional responsibilities like releasing the whole code base to the main upper level branches. We have multiple stages from where the code is pushed up regularly after thorough verification. I've the sole ownership of this verification and merging of code for a huge module which includes around 35 teams from all around the world in Samsung. This is a very rigorous task as code changes are made every minute and they are to be catered immediately.

I'm also a Global Workplace Agent for my group which consists of around 300 employees, where my task is to organize parties and events at company level.
I've been promoted every year.

I've co-founded two companies with my brother.

Co-founded a marketing company at the age of 18 which went on for 2 years.

Co- founded a rubber band manufacturing company at the age of 21, I looked after product manufacturing and all the technical aspects of the product like creating and improving the product, maintaining the quality in mass production.

I've a GRE score of 316, I've not taken GMAT yet.

Post MBA goals :
Short term : Switch to consulting.
Long term : To be an entrepreneur.


1. What are my chances of getting into top B schools.
2. If I should try for this year or the next. I would have 3 years of experience this year and 4 if I apply next year.
3. Please suggest which schools are achievable for me

_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 18:36
Hi,

You have a fantastic profile on all counts - great academic performance in college, strong GMAT score, great work performance as indicated by the awards and progression, and strong work in the extracurricular arena. You will have four years of work experience at matriculation, so I think you are in a good spot! You should be able to fare well in admissions if you put together an excellent application. Where are you thinking of applying?

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel



vipulaggarwal wrote:
10th: 86%

12th: 83.4%

GRADUATION
B.Tech. in Computer Science from IP University, Delhi with an aggregate score of 72.6% (First Class)

GMAT: 740

WORK-EX:
Working with Samvardhana Motherson Group (SMG) (World’s 5th largest group) for past 2 years as a Software Engineer. Involved in different roles for 2 years. Was a JAVA developer for the first 12 months and worked on a project related to automobile industry wherein we tracked all the activities of major automobile players (like Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen etc.) and their manufacturing plants. In this project I proposed a module which involved scanning of invoices, of which I proposed the algorithm, to potentially reduce the effort at customer’s side. This brought a business of 60.2 Million INR to organization. Received Star Performer of the Year award for the initiative taken.
In lieu to this initiative taken, after 1 year in the organization, I was shifted to Business Intelligence Team to use the critical data like revenue; budget etc. of the organization to track down the lacuna’s to suggest possible changes to be made for organization’s benefit. Working under this team, I proposed the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) which shall mitigate the re-work done in few teams in the organization. Upon review it was implemented in the organization. I inked down the proposed SDLC and got it converted in form of a research paper, published in a prestigious journal.

Total Work-Ex at the time of ISB 2016-17 application will be 2 years 8 months.

OVERSEAS EXPERIENCE
Went with project leader and other team members for installation and demo of the project to the client for duration of 3 months in Hungry during my tenure as a JAVA developer in initial 12 months

ENTREPRENEURSHIP EXPERIENCE
In last year of under-graduation, founded a tech company along with 2 friends, to develop websites and applications ranging from android to ecommerce website. The company is registered in the name of www[dot]crebertech[dot]com. The company generated a revenue around INR 1 lakh. Currently serving as the business head in the startup.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR
I have categorized extra-curricular into following categories.
Scholastic Achievements:
• Have 5 research papers being the 1st author published in prestigious journals with a high impact factor. For one of the research paper published, was selected as a reviewer at the same journal (Science Alert) where mostly doctorate and post-doctorate professors are selected.
• Was selected to represent my school in a competition of Mathematics and English conducted by University of New South Wales.
• Winner of 3 state awards in technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering (DCE). Runner-Up in 4 technical events conducted at Delhi College of Engineering.
Dramatics
• Winner in 1 competition and runner up in other organized in IGIT.
• Played Football at National Level. Represented Delhi and scored a hat trick and helped team to reach semi-finals. Was also adjudicated Man-of-the-tournament by sports head of IIT during an intra-college football tournament in my college.
• Organized literary events during college fests in the year 2011-2012-2013. Recoded higher participation with each successive year.
Debating and Literacy
• Winner of 3 State level debate competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
• Winner of 3 State level extempore competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering.
• Winner of 3 State level essay competitions organized at Delhi College of Engineering and 1 essay event organized in my college.
• Contributed to college and school magazines and remained an active blooger in my organization monthly newsletter.
Social Initiative
• Involved with an NGO for past 3 years. Working as a treasurer now. During my time I organized events to raise fund for the NGO and used the same money to prevent cow smuggling and prevent slaughtering of cows in the small villages of Haryana.
• A short 3 months internship at AIESEC under the program Iccha, to help slum children identify the basic cause of malaise. Helped them identify major pollutants and areas acting as a breeding ground of mosquitoes. Drafted a survey on the area visited and was adopted as a blue print by the local residents to palliate the waste.
• Worked for 5 months at Children Home, Delhi Government foster home to orphan kids. Provided pedagogy to students and was involved in various teaching drives organized at foster home during those 5 moths.
• Active member of CSR committee of my organization. Awarded for an active role in donation and social drives.

My target schools are Yale, Booth, Ross, Anderson, Tuck, Stern, Hass, Insead, Kellogg, ISB, Stanford GSB, LBS, Tepper and Johnson. Is it too ambitious or can I count some of them as moderate ? if yes, which one ?

_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 18:40
Hi,

You have a very intriguing, unique and interesting background which means you have great potential to put together a very unique application. For you to have success at the more competitive schools like Haas, you need to have your essays just right because your GPA is strong but not outstanding, and your GMAT score is good but not great. Your extracurricular activities likely could be stronger inasmuch as you could demonstrate more leadership through them. But I think that if you put together a first-rate application, which employs excellent strategy and wonderfully crafted essays, you should have strong odds at many of the schools you indicated below.

Please let us know if we acn be of any assistance in your admissions process!

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel
info@mbaadmit.com


eladavid wrote:
Hello Dr. Shel,

Please evaluate my profile

29

Dual citizenship - Israel/U.S

Gmat - 700 (46Q\40V)

Bachelor's in Accounting and Journalism from Hebrew University
GPA 3.48
made deans list for the year of 2011
Won a national Social Entrepreneurship competition and founded a non profit (sustainability) while in school
Passed all 5 CPA exams on first trial (some of the exams had lower than 20% success rate for first timers)


Work experience:

Served for 3 years in the army as a combat medic, was awarded an excellence award during that time.

Worked 2 years as a strategic consultant in a local but selective firm that specializes in public administration

currently working full time at Ernst and Young as a CPA
Part time business dev and marketing at family business (art)

extra curricular:
Volunteers at the local chapter of an international non profit as a Digital consultant,
Mentors a startup in a local accelerator
Runs Marathons
meditator

Schools
Haas, MIT Sloan, Yale SOM, Johnson

Reach-Stanford GSB

Thank you for your help!

_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 18:44
Hi,

How is your admissions process going! You have fantastic credentials! Great age, great GMAT score, great MS GPA, great country - Turkey will serve you well in admissions! Your career sounds like you have work experience with outstanding institutions also. If you put together your applications well, you will be able to pull yourself out of the very overcrowded banking bucket and stand out. I think your list of schools is sensible. Booth and Columbia should be possible with a great application; for Harvard, your work will be in getting them to ignore the 2.7 GPA but that might very well be possible with an excellently crafted essay and outstanding recommendations.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you in the admissions process!

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel
info@mbaadmit.com



a03b wrote:
Hi,

Hi, I am a 27 year-old (at matriculation) male candidate from Turkey. Targeting Wharton, Booth and Columbia. Here is my background:

GMAT: 750
Ugrad: mechanical engineering from top 3 school in Turkey, GPA: 2.7
Grad: ms finance from top 3 school in turkey, GPA: 3.97
Work exp 1: 1 year corporate banking at #1 commercial bank in turkey
Work exp 2: 2 years investment banking at BB (think UBS/deutsche/Citi)
CFA levels 1-2 cleared

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Location: CA, USA
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 18:46
The best thing you can do to improve your odds is get your GMAT score up. Are you planning to take it again? A score of 730 or so would serve you much better.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel



ramalo wrote:
Hi,

I would love to get your perspective on where I stand.

-27 y/o Indian Male (will turn 28 in may)

-GMAT 710 (49Q, 39V)

-Graduated in 2008 from a business school in UK with a degree in accounting and finance. Topped my degree in year one. Ended up with an upper 2.1 degree.

-planned on working in UK itself in order to get some international work ex but had to move back to India because of my fathers death (3 weeks after final term). Had to take care of family affairs, both financial and emotional, so moved back.

-Over 6.5 years of experience working in the business development and strategy implementation division of a firm with interests across hydropower, textiles and education and annual revenues of over $100m. Have worked across all 3 sectors. Currently leading a team in implementing the expansion/diversification of the education vertical. The project is at an advanced stage of implementation and the financial rewards from the project have already started flowing in. The idea for diversification was my brainchild and thus I was made the team leader of the project. The financial rewards from this project have already started flowing in. I'm also the youngest at the firm at a senior managerial role. I've held leadership roles across all the 3 verticals.

-short term goal is to make a transition to a top tier management consulting firm and work in new geographies (outside of India). Long term goal is to take up a senior management role at a fortune 500 firm. In my current role I'm coming up with and executing ideas that lead to improvement in business process and create value for the firm. I think a career in consulting will be a reasonable sell as my STG.

-Extra curricular: work with one of the most prominent environmental NGO in the country. Have been closely associated with environmental research over the last 4 years. Having lost my father to blood cancer I started a cancer foundation in his name and have raised over INR 1.5m which in turn was used to help underprivileged patients in their treatment. Also organize an annual blood donation camp. Also redrafted and implemented the corporate social responsibility charter at the firm with a focus on sanitation for the poor and improving female financial literacy. I've also worked for a member of parliament from 2009-2013 on devising a plan for development in the members parliamentary constituency.

I would appreciate if you could evaluate my profile at the following schools.

-Target schools- INSEAD, Columbia, Kellogg, Tuck, Duke, Darden, Emory, McCombs, etc

Feel free to suggest other business schools.

Thanks for taking time out and helping people out here. Really appreciate it.

Regards

_________________

MBA Admit.com offers comprehensive service for approx. $1495-$1795 for the first application and approximately $700-975 for subsequent MBA applications. Basic editing available for $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder and CEO of MBA Admit,.com, is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 14:02
hi Dr. Watts,

25 years Female from India living in Germany
GMAT: 560 (41Q/25V)
UG: Aerospace Engineering 3.4/4.0 GPA
Grad: Engineering Management 3.6/4.0 GPA form Duke
Extra curriculum activities: Women's Network hub leader and voluntary work

Fluent in German

5.5 years of work experience

WE 1: Leadership Program in operation management across Middle East & Europe (2.5 year) large multinational
WE 2: Logistics Manager with 15 direct reports (3 years) large multinational. ERP implementation and large cost savings.

Goal
Get MBA to pursue career in business strategy.

Schools:
Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Dartmouth
Stanford
Wharton
MIT: Sloan
Berkley
Duke
University of Chicago

What are my chances? What are my areas of improvement?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 32
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 06:45
Good Day Dr. Shel
I would like to ask you for the Profile Evaluation for Fall Intake 2016 in Kellogg, Tuck, Haas, Fuqua & INSEAD.

Details :
1. Personal :
Indian Male 29 years at the age of matriculation

2. Academics :
Graduated in 2009 from a Premier Marine Engineering Institute (Entry through IIT-JEE) in India with 72%(Top 10% of the class).
Won 1st Prize in All India Marine Engineering innovation Meet
In charge for Sports activities and responsible for the organizing and management of various Sports meet. Managing budget of USD 20K for purchase of sports equipment.
Secretary of Mess Committee managing a budget of USD 160K. Introduced vendor management scheme and distribution system.

3. Professional :
6.5 years of WorkEx as the time of matriculation as Senior Operations Manager in Merchant Ships in a Japanese Company (the biggest shipping company in terms of revenue)
Led a multinational team of 12 for :
Engineering Operations and maintenance of the plant
Cargo Operations and supervision to avoid heavy penalties in case of breach of regulations
Inventory Tracking & Management to forecast annual budget for purchase at proper time and place to make savings
Condition Monitoring and assessment to better utilize the resources
Environmental Compliance by making internal inspection
Restructuring of Inspection Plans for Quality Assurance Audits and bringing more business for clients
Liaising with manufacturers to implement model to increase profit of the client by & decreasing downtime.
Draft training curriculum for new entrants

Extra Curricular :
Participated in Business development by conducting awareness meet to collect funds for an alumni run NGO
Teamed up with a team of 3 to plan and introduce a Shipping Employment Portal.

Kindly suggest how can I make the application compelling and impressive.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2015
Posts: 15
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.7
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 19:06
Dr. Watts,

I would love to hear your thoughts about my profile and my chances at any of the top 10 US business schools:

- American, white male
- 770 GMAT
- 3.7 GPA in engineering from top 10 school
- Magna cum laude graduate from top 25 law school (full tuition scholarship)
- 3 years experience at headquarters of top law firm
- Some volunteer work--mostly pro bono legal advice
- Ideally hope to transition into banking/finance

Planning to apply round 1 to all schools. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Re: Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2015, 19:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 199 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Ask AdmitHour!! abhisheksahay 0 02 Jul 2015, 13:30
Ask Clear Admit! ClearAdmitJonFuller 5 14 Jan 2014, 08:24
1 Ask ThinkAdmit - Free Profile Evaluation thinkadmit 42 13 May 2012, 05:12
60 Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit MyMBAAdmit 106 30 Oct 2012, 22:43
6 Ask Clear Admit clearadmit 66 27 Dec 2009, 19:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask MBA Admit - Dr. Shel Watts

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.